Gamespot's Game Sequels that Fell Short of the Original

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

Link

Assassin's Creed III

Bioshock 2

Crackdown 2

Crysis 2

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Devil May Cry 2

Diablo 3

Dragon Age 2

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Metroid II: Return of Samus

Perfect Dark Zero

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

Starcraft II

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Zelda II

Well, I definitely agree about PDZ. However, here's my own list (some of which being my controversial opinions given my posting history).

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Really disagreed with Tom McShea's 10/10. The game didn't feel like a much touted sequel the same way some other sequels did. It was a mission pack. Nothing more.

Super Smash Bros. 4 - Okay, people hate Brawl because of Tripping. But you know what? It was the last great Smash for me. The fourth game was a step DOWN in content, replayability, character roster (besides the addition of Mega Man, Ryu, Pac-Man and Bayonetta, that's it, Cloud IMO is still the worst addition, would rather play the Jedi/Sith in Soul Calibur IV), everything. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather play MK9 (why is this not BC yet?)/MKX, One Piece: Burning Blood and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 on my Xboxes. Hell, I played way more Tekken Tag 2 on the SAME console Smash is on (Wii U). I still like the local multi though.

Zelda: Twilight Princess - This was hyped as the darkest Zelda for the time. It wasn't. No where NEAR darker than Majora's Mask.

Mass Effect 3 - Need I say more with that ending? Didn't go any further with Andromeda either.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Just.... f this game.

Star Wars: KOTOR II - Although I like it, it felt less like a love letter to Star Wars, more like a Seth MacFarlane production, except MacFarlane has made FAR more signs of affection to both Star Wars (Blue Harvest) and Star Trek (Orville). You can tell the lead writer DID NOT want to be part of this. It's like Last Jedi was an "f you" to this story.

What say you?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Dino Crisis 2 - Lost all the atmosphere that the original had and went for action instead and felt like a completely different game (Although still a good game in it's own right)

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

Im sure ill be missing many sequels ill try mention some popular so here i go

1) Resident Evil 4 --> It didnt make ANY sense as a sequel to previous games, there were zero links story wise and also a way different genre than what RE series supposed to be. Felt wrong for too many reasons as a sequel to me. It could have been a great side RE game but not a direct sequel ... also that formula led to RE5+RE6 and RE downfall in general and thank god that changed.

2) Diablo 3 --> Where the hell to start with this game ? As one of the biggest fans of Diablo franchise and action RPG genre in general this was the biggest failure i could ever dream off for reasons we all know.

3) Mass Effect 3 ---> As a somewhat fan of 1+2 ... that storyline and ending of ME3 ! Omfg, nuff said.

4) Tekken 4 ---> As a veteran by then i never got into Tekken 4. It felt so different than what i used to play ( tekken 3 ). Wasnt a bad game but imho the worst Tekken ever released, specially after one of the best entries in the series that of Tekken 3.

5) Crysis 2 ---> After the first game that was seriously a tech benchmark they released Crysis 2 to make it work for consoles ? No thanks.

6) Final Fantasy 12 ---> This thing wasnt Final Fantasy, was a single player MMORPG ... and a bad one compared to popular MMORPGs of the time. Sure it had its moments but wasnt the true sequel to the series i once was huge fan of.

7) Mortal Kombat 4 ---> The transition to 3D was terrible for one of the most iconic 2D fighters ever. It just felt so wrong and the tech of that era didnt help at all.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46273 Posts

Crysis 2 is the worst sequel ever made. It's the root of Cryteks downfall and there isn't a single crysis fan that prefers it over the original.

Bioshock 2 is great. It improves on the original in a lot of ways. So what if it wasn't as groundbreaking as the original or if it reused the same setting ? It's still a lot better than Infinite.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@nibbin1191: yes, ME3 ending is a dead horse, sure I too was like "WTF" after I got done but I went back and played it again because like 99% of the game was solid, and I think many people still aren't aware they fixed the ME3 endings with a patch

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Bioshock 2 is objectivity a better game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nintendoboy16  Online

@nibbin1191: More like I wanted a discussion with those who don't comment on the article.

And yes, the ending of ME3 was a huge part of it, and no, the DLC didn't help.

EDIT: And that BS integration of multiplayer into the main game.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

list needs more FEAR 2

also not sure why Starcraft II is on there

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@scatteh316: DC2 was a crap ton better than DC3. DC3 was the start of the fall of Capcom... when they started to turn into Crapcom.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Zelda 2 has a cult following even if it wasn't liked as much as the first zelda

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Bioshock 2 is objectivity a better game.

This. And bioshock 2 is more influential as well.

See Arkane studios actually build off that game with Dishonored and Prey. Nevermind the creation of Fullbright Studios and adventure game immersive sims.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@AzatiS said:

@nintendoboy16:

Im sure ill be missing many sequels ill try mention some popular so here i go

1) Resident Evil 4 --> It didnt make ANY sense as a sequel to previous games, there were zero links story wise and also a way different genre than what RE series supposed to be. Felt wrong for too many reasons as a sequel to me. It could have been a great side RE game but not a direct sequel ... also that formula led to RE5+RE6 and RE downfall in general and thank god that changed.

2) Diablo 3 --> Where the hell to start with this game ? As one of the biggest fans of Diablo franchise and action RPG genre in general this was the biggest failure i could ever dream off for reasons we all know.

3) Mass Effect 3 ---> As a somewhat fan of 1+2 ... that storyline and ending of ME3 ! Omfg, nuff said.

4) Tekken 4 ---> As a veteran by then i never got into Tekken 4. It felt so different than what i used to play ( tekken 3 ). Wasnt a bad game but imho the worst Tekken ever released, specially after one of the best entries in the series that of Tekken 3.

5) Crysis 2 ---> After the first game that was seriously a tech benchmark they released Crysis 2 to make it work for consoles ? No thanks.

6) Final Fantasy 12 ---> This thing wasnt Final Fantasy, was a single player MMORPG ... and a bad one compared to popular MMORPGs of the time. Sure it had its moments but wasnt the true sequel to the series i once was huge fan of.

7) Mortal Kombat 4 ---> The transition to 3D was terrible for one of the most iconic 2D fighters ever. It just felt so wrong and the tech of that era didnt help at all.

ff13 and ff15 are way worse than 12 tho the ff games keep getting worse imo

I platinumed ff12 on ps4 and its actually pretty deep and big open area's I just skip all teh story cutscenes cuz it blows and the characters are lame but the battles and setting things up is fun part of the game and the music is a fail compared to ff4-ff10 but it has like 2 good songs

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By texasgoldrush

@nintendoboy16 said:

@nibbin1191: More like I wanted a discussion with those who don't comment on the article.

Lets go over this.

The ending fits, get over it. It wasn't Guardians of the Galaxy, it was Mass Effect and it was true to the ideas and themes of the franchise. When will gamers learn that the ending was about having to be forced to make decisions that impact the lives of others and that the series really argued against, not for, free will, due to decisions always impacting the fates of others, including force people to make these decisions?

And the multiplayer wasn't shoehorned either. ME3 was about the war with the Reapers and that is why MP fits.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

ME 3 was terrible. The new characters were poorly executed. The story was poorly written. The dialog made little sense in many key moments. The ending was gutter trash

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Mass Effect 3 is worse than Adromeda.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Lets go over this.

The ending fits, get over it. It wasn't Guardians of the Galaxy, it was Mass Effect and it was true to the ideas and themes of the franchise. When will gamers learn that the ending was about having to be forced to make decisions that impact the lives of others and that the series really argued against, not for, free will, due to decisions always impacting the fates of others, including force people to make these decisions?

And the multiplayer wasn't shoehorned either. ME3 was about the war with the Reapers and that is why MP fits.

Mate, it was shit. The penultimate decision should not be made solely at the end for this franchise, but be an amalgamation of decisions leading to an end, solely due to the entire point of the series being decisions making an impact throughout the story. Next, it's paint by colours for the ending... **** me sideways.

As for the MP... **** off. It was shoehorned, and it was fucking shite. The series wasn't sold as MP, thus it was shoehorned.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Where the hell is FFX-2?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16  Online

@lundy86_4 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Lets go over this.

Mate, it was shit. The penultimate decision should not be made solely at the end for this franchise, but be an amalgamation of decisions leading to an end, solely due to the entire point of the series being decisions making an impact throughout the story. Next, it's paint by colours for the ending... **** me sideways.

As for the MP... **** off. It was shoehorned, and it was fucking shite. The series wasn't sold as MP, thus it was shoehorned.

Currently, I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas right now (my favorite Fallout), so imagine if Obsidian threw in a multiplayer component for that game because "the war" in that, if you want the best result for your preferred faction (NCR for me), you need to play the multiplayer? Bethesda and Obsidian would be slammed for it. Instead, they have side quests that can either make you feel less guilty about your choice, or more, depending on what you do. And they linked with some factions (Brotherhood/Boomers/Apocalypse/Khans) and followers (Boone/Veronica/Cass/Arcade).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16  Online

@texasgoldrush said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Lets go over this.

There are way better games that deliver on that promise, buddy. Even I know that you know that Bioware can do wrong. Just acknowledge it and accept that people were STILL disappointed with ME3.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By texasgoldrush

@lundy86_4 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Lets go over this.

WRONG

1. The decisions you make before the final choice DO have an impact on the ending, the geth-quarian choice, the krogan cure, who lives and who dies. Hell, even the rachni can appear in the ending.

2. How you play the game and how much you complete the game determines how much damage the choices in the end does and what choices you actually have. And fact, saving the base in ME2 prevents the very worst ending in ME3.

3. That choice in the end is very fitting with the themes of the franchise and no amount of "I want it the other way" nonsense will change that fact.

And if MP was shite, than why was is so surprisingly well received?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Always the shitting on Bioshock 2.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 texasgoldrush

@freedomfreak said:

Always the shitting on Bioshock 2.

Because people are dumb.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Many games on that list are my faves.

So, another list made by monkeys that randomly punched keyboards...

In fact, the list reads like something Trump could have come up with...

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

FEAR 2, Crysis 2, Deus Ex 2 are some of the worst sequels ever made.

Assassisns creed 3 is better than AC2. and probably much better than todays AC games too.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

I think the problem Crysis 2 had on PC was that it only launched with DX9 support and people had to wait to get the DX11 patch, if it had released with DX11 support is possibly wouldn't of got half as much bad press as it did.