GameSpot Oblivion Preview -- Hesitant to Praise PS3?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sdifjds
Member since 2003 • 1088 Posts
Ok, over the past few months we all know how many times GameSpot has come out and pretty much said every port to the PS3 from the 360 is a downgrade, which their scores reflect. Even a port that many thought was an upgrade, Fight Night, was still said to be better on the 360, according to GameSpot.

Now comes along a port that has received proper treatment and we have two previews, from IGN and GameSpot.

Pay close attention to the tones of both sources.

First IGN
"The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version.As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat."

Now GameSpot
"The real enhancement is in the visuals and, to some extent, the loading times. The game seemed to have a slightly smoother and more consistent frame rate than it did on the Xbox, though the difference wasn't enormous, and it seemed to us that the textures looked just a tad sharper. More obvious (and confirmed by Bethesda) was an improvement to the game's texturing over large distances. Remember how the original Oblivion had a line set an arbitrary distance in front of the player beyond which ground textures turned into kind of a muddy mess? That's all taken care of now, thanks to a new custom pixel shader. The effect is only noticeable outdoors--though it's more accurate to say the effect is not noticeable if you've never played a previous version of the game--but it's a nice addition nonetheless."

As you can see, the tones are completely different.

Notice how many times GameSpot uses the word "seem." This indicates they don't want to say officially one way or another, and their just speaking humbly of their opinion. As if to say, "But don't take our word for it." However, we all know GameSpot is capable of both performing and ruling on graphical comparisons.

GameSpot also uses words to downplay the obvious upgrades. "Slightly smoother," "Wasn't enormous," "Looks a tad sharper," & "Not noticeable" They even took the time to italacize the not in "not noticeable," which means they wanted to make that point very clear to the reader.

IGN is quick to come out and say - The PS3 version is better. That aren't any weasel words trying to downplay the fact it looks better or loads faster. Another clear omission is the usage of the word "seem." Which indicates they want you, the reader, to know they're sure of themselves, and what their reporting on. A farcry from the "maybe this, maybe that" report from GameSpot.

Now I am not going to lie, both previews were generally positive towards the PS3 version. But when just a few months ago GameSpot did a sponsored graphical comparison among the launch window multi-platform games pitting the 360 and PS3 versions against each other and gave the nod to nearly all the 360 versions, why do I get the feeling GameSpot is suddenly feeling queasy when it's time to give the advantage to the PS3?
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts

I read the preview and thought it was pretty glowing.

You're splitting hairs, big time.  Enough with the "biased!!!1!" crap.

Avatar image for sonofHWBB_basic
sonofHWBB_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sonofHWBB_basic
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts
You have WAY too much time on your hands to read into it that much.
Royboy58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Royboy58
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts
just because gamespot has a different opinion than ign, doesnt mean theres a conspiracy going on. like some sony fanboys think
shawnjfulton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shawnjfulton
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts
Everyone knows that if developers just port a game over to the PS3 it will probably look bad. I think the developers took their time getting this game over to the PS3 and it will show that the PS3 has more graphical horsepower than the 360.
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sdifjds
You have WAY too much time on your hands to read into it that much.sonofHWBB_basic
I didn't read into it. They used the words they used and thats the way it is.  Maybe it was just sloppy writing?
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vraeth
Member since 2005 • 1208 Posts
You GS conspiracy theorists are sad, really really sad.
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sdifjds

You're splitting hairs, big time. Enough with the "biased!!!1!" crap.

jvonrader
The review was generally positive, yes. But whats with the weasel words?
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts
I agree with the topic creator. GS is reluctant to give PS3 any praise. I own both 360 and ps3 and I know the FNR3 ps3>360 (so does everyone who compared with me). I cant wait to see Oblivion with an upgrade, unfortunately I have already played it, but will take the adventure again until I wait for the next good games on both systems. Now if I could just find a Wii.
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vraeth

Everyone knows that if developers just port a game over to the PS3 it will probably look bad. I think the developers took their time getting this game over to the PS3 and it will show that the PS3 has more graphical horsepower than the 360. shawnjfulton

Where is this "more graphical horsepower" that you speak of? Oh yeah, that's right, it's just Sony fanboys who say that.

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
GameSpot is more down-to-earth than IGN. They rate games as casual gamers would see them. IGN is for enthusiasts who notice every little damn thing about a game.
youarecry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 youarecry
Member since 2007 • 247 Posts
people with this conspiracy crap should get a perma ban
snackdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 snackdaddy
Member since 2006 • 2122 Posts

You're splitting hairs, big time.  Enough with the "biased!!!1!" crap.

jvonrader

Agreed

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
haha, we get all the upgrades that the ps3 version has via an update coming out soon and even the expansion pack will have this of the xbox 360.

Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vraeth
We'd probably hear less of the conspiracy crap if the PS3 launch hadn't bombed, and PS3's weren't sitting on shelves everywhere. Sure, you can find a 360 on the shelves, but they've also sold 8x as many.
ps3gen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ps3gen
Member since 2005 • 2023 Posts
gamespot loves their 360 you think they will care for the ps3...when they review games is mostly out of their a** they been fallen off lately with all their reviews.
Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
More like hesitant to praise a possibly inferior port, and perhaps waiting for mor information.
nybritboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nybritboy
Member since 2005 • 774 Posts
your post is redonkulous. every site has said that PS3 ports are downgrades, only exception is FN3 (but dont look at the horrible PS3 backgrounds)
Vraeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vraeth

gamespot loves their 360 you think they will care for the ps3...when they review games is mostly out of their a** they been fallen off lately with all their reviews.ps3gen

The ONLY people who think that are Sony fanboys. Hell, there are plenty of non fanboys who own PS3s who are able to admit- The reason every ps3 game hasn't gotten a 10 is because they don't merit a 10.

sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sdifjds
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm not saying to you all, "OMG MICROSOFT OWNS EVERY WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET THATS WHY THEY ALL HATE THE PS3" I am comparing one preview to another preview. They both came to the same conclusion, but the tone of each one is completely different.
shawnjfulton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shawnjfulton
Member since 2005 • 101 Posts
It has also been a year after their launch. Holler back at me with that same line after a year of PS3.
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts

but, but teh IGN said it ran smoother and Gamespot said it ran teh SLIGHTLY smoother!!1!1!  gamespot is teh biased!11!1!!

....sooooo ridiculous.

hojobojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hojobojo
Member since 2005 • 1268 Posts
just because gamespot has a different opinion than ign, doesnt mean theres a conspiracy going on. like some sony fanboys thinkRoyboy58

That;s not the point. The point is the fact that Gamespot favours Xbox360 than PS3 and Wii even when it is obviously not the case.
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sdifjds
More like hesitant to praise a possibly inferior port, and perhaps waiting for mor information.fatzombiepigeon
You see, thats exactly the way I thought GameSpot felt when they previewed it.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

[QUOTE="sonofHWBB_basic"]You have WAY too much time on your hands to read into it that much.sdifjds
I didn't read into it. They used the words they used and thats the way it is. There were no interpretations on my part. Maybe it was just sloppy writing?

Different writers have different styles, different turns of phrase. Maybe the Gamespot guy just uses the word "seems" alot, who knows? I do know this: to notice any difference in the tones of the reviews, you have to really be looking for it, which calls into question whether a "bias" is really there because we often see what we want or are trying to see. Secondly, though more technical comparisons can be and have been done, words like seems, a tad, not enormous might simply be an indication that there is an improvement, just not night and day.

You could in fact accuse the FIRST article for not using any modifiers to give some sort of qualitative feel for the differences between the versions.  "Runs smoother" is all well and good, but how much?  Maybe where you see bias, there is actually accuracy.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
haha, we get all the upgrades that the ps3 version has via an update coming out soon and even the expansion pack will have this of the xbox 360.
 jahnee
Ummm..............no you don't. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762882p1.html "Rumors were released stating that everything in the PS3 version of the game would migrate over to the 360 or the PC, which kicked off a screaming match on boards about which version was ultimately better. According to Hines, the shader functionality that would re-render the low-res textures would inevitably make its way to the 360 build and PC in future updates. However, certain optimizations that take advantage of the system's hardware will remain exclusive to the PS3 version of the game."
DPS3150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DPS3150
Member since 2006 • 70 Posts
I think its great that PS3 has something to look forward to in Oblivion because they definitely need some praise from someone other than fanboys, cause this day and age you dont hear too much about the PS3 doing any good from anyone.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Everyone knows that if developers just port a game over to the PS3 it will probably look bad. I think the developers took their time getting this game over to the PS3 and it will show that the PS3 has more graphical horsepower than the 360. shawnjfulton
The Draw distance thingy is better on PS3 because the Developers have had time to improve the game. And it's not just PS3, the draw distance would also be improved on the 360 by an update.
sdifjds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sdifjds

[QUOTE="sdifjds"][QUOTE="sonofHWBB_basic"]You have WAY too much time on your hands to read into it that much.dsmccracken

I didn't read into it. They used the words they used and thats the way it is. There were no interpretations on my part. Maybe it was just sloppy writing?

Different writers have different styles, different turns of phrase. Maybe the Gamespot guy just uses the word "seems" alot, who knows? I do know this: to notice any difference in the tones of the reviews, you have to really be looking for it, which calls into question whether a "bias" is really there because we often see what we want or are trying to see. Secondly, though more technical comparisons can be and have been done, words like seems, a tad, not enormous might simply be an indication that there is an improvement, just not night and day.

You could in fact accuse the FIRST article for not using any modifiers to give some sort of qualitative feel for the differences between the versions. "Runs smoother" is all well and good, but how much? Maybe where you see bias, there is actually accuracy.

IGN described the graphical upgrades as "significant enhancements", while gamespot used words like "tad," "slightly," and "wasn't enormous." all the while being unsure of themselves with several usages of the word "seems"
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts
Shader code has been upgraded while working on the PS3 title. Bathesda developers said the update will be rolled out to X360 as well via XBL (1up show episode 63).

The interesting part is the X360 version is expected to look better with the update since it has better shader performance.

/thread
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
[QUOTE="jahnee"]haha, we get all the upgrades that the ps3 version has via an update coming out soon and even the expansion pack will have this of the xbox 360.
Javy03
Ummm..............no you don't. http://ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762882p1.html "Rumors were released stating that everything in the PS3 version of the game would migrate over to the 360 or the PC, which kicked off a screaming match on boards about which version was ultimately better. According to Hines, the shader functionality that would re-render the low-res textures would inevitably make its way to the 360 build and PC in future updates. However, certain optimizations that take advantage of the system's hardware will remain exclusive to the PS3 version of the game."

why do you think that they say that as of now? It's because the ps3 version isn't released yet. They still need some marketing to  get the sales higher. I bet you after the ps3 version launched, the xbox 360 version will get the same draw distance etc.... The same goes for ut3. Epic didn't want ut3 to be in the way of gears of war sales. Now after gears has launched, voila, UT3 coming to xbox 360.
creekfan_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 creekfan_basic
Member since 2002 • 2539 Posts
who cares, its an old game that any true fan would of been playing for the past year on a PC or 360, lets stop nitpicking marginal differences that mean nothing in the long run.
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#34 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

It's reserved because GS has a professional staff and doesn't write everything like it's being written for Whoville.

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
[QUOTE="Javy03"][QUOTE="jahnee"]haha, we get all the upgrades that the ps3 version has via an update coming out soon and even the expansion pack will have this of the xbox 360.
jahnee

why do you think that they say that as of now? It's because the ps3 version isn't released yet. They still need some marketing to  get the sales higher. I bet you after the ps3 version launched, the xbox 360 version will get the same draw distance etc.... The same goes for ut3. Epic didn't want ut3 to be in the way of gears of war sales. Now after gears has launched, voila, UT3 coming to xbox 360.

Except your logic makes not sense. Why would Bethesda hold back info about improving the 360 version. Oblivion for the 360 is not gonna interfere with Oblivion on the PS3's sales. I think your assuming alot. UT3 and Gears are to completly different games and I doubt gamers would pass up Gears to buy Oblivion months down the road.
Flesh_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Flesh_Storm
Member since 2006 • 103 Posts
I think this is more down to the style of the author rather than the 'bias' of the site.
Flesh_Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flesh_Storm
Member since 2006 • 103 Posts
jahnee, your sig is absolutely hilarious :D I love Arnie.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts

but, but teh IGN said it ran smoother and Gamespot said it ran teh SLIGHTLY smoother!!1!1!  gamespot is teh biased!11!1!!

....sooooo ridiculous.

jvonrader

:lol: agreed

_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts
You have WAY too much time on your hands to read into it that much.sonofHWBB_basic
No, it's just obvious that's all. Funny how you say he has way too much time, yet here you are making a completely irrelevant post. I guess with your logic, you must have even more time as you're willing to post in a thread that clearly doesn't interest you. Way to go!
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts

oh boy,here we go again...will the bias claims ever stop?

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
who cares, its an old game that any true fan would of been playing for the past year on a PC or 360, lets stop nitpicking marginal differences that mean nothing in the long run. creekfan_basic
  EXACTLY! The way i see it both systems are gonna share an amazing game
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

mlbslugger86
Ok, honestly now. This is getting retarded. What is with you and your fanboy brothers putting words in people's mouths. Nowhere in that post did he say Gamespot was biased. READ before you post.
e10mgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 e10mgs
Member since 2005 • 423 Posts
you could just turn this around and say 'IGN praising the PS3 too easily'
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]

_AsasN_

Ok, honestly now. This is getting retarded. What is with you and your fanboy brothers putting words in people's mouths. Nowhere in that post did he say Gamespot was biased. READ before you post.

He is implying it really well, Isn't he?

den4sir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 den4sir
Member since 2003 • 1235 Posts
gamespot loves their 360 you think they will care for the ps3...when they review games is mostly out of their a** they been fallen off lately with all their reviews.ps3gen
It's not just with the PS3, it's with everything. GS's reviews have gone way down hill. IGN's reviews have kept their substance, what I mean by that is that just by reding the review you know IGN wrote it. Gamespot's reviews have become so general and don't look into the game in the detail that they once did. The SW forums has tarnished their way of thinking as well, but hey, I will give Gamespot the benefit of the doubt when it comes to forums.
GG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GG7
Member since 2003 • 3057 Posts
I'll take RUMBLE over slightly improved background textures any day of the week! After putting over 120 hours into Oblivion on the 360, I simply can't imagine playing that game without a rumble equipped controller. That would just plain SUCK!
mlbslugger86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 mlbslugger86
Member since 2004 • 12867 Posts
[QUOTE="mlbslugger86"]

_AsasN_

fanboy?your the fanboy,since i actully own  both playstations,and i did read,the way he worded his response it sounded like he was impliying just that,that gamespot's preview was BIASED.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

The Patch for the 360 version will improve Oblivion just the same as the PS3 version.

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
[QUOTE="sdifjds"] IGN described the graphical upgrades as "significant enhancements", while gamespot used words like "tad," "slightly," and "wasn't enormous." all the while being unsure of themselves with several usages of the word "seems"

I read 2 uses of the word seems.