Gamespot neglects PC and Xbone

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

This isn't any sort of a revelation. We had been very much aware of it for a couple of years now when it comes to not reviewing numerous high rated PC games or publishing their reviews at much later dates. And it seems there is a similar case with the Xbone. For example, Ziggurat, a game which had already been an Early Access title Q4 2014 on PC was released on Xbone on March 26 2015 but Gamespot only reviewed it on PS4 when it came out on April 28.

Tell me if it isn't insanely biased against PC and to lesser extent Xbone?

To me it's propagating a myth that somehow Indies are synonymous with PS4 which is simply not true.

There are also other examples of this but I'm on my phone so I'm not going to make more of them.

Other platforms cannot be neglected like that, is all I'm saying.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Any other examples before we continue with the conspiracies?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

they still review a lot of random indie stuff for PC

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178831 Posts

Find another site then.....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

Why review a game like Shadowrun: Hong Kong when you can put up several movie articles, a cute cat dressed as Darth Vader and the upcoming possible announcement of a new chair in Destiny?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Why do you care?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Only game review i see missing is Smite. I looked threw PS4, 3DS, Wii U, and Vita. Only game i see missing from PC is Trine 3. Big releases have been pretty dead as usual in the summer. Its bout to get crazy now though.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

I haven't cared for Gamespot reviews for a while now anyways honestly. The only site whose reviews I still read fairly regularly are Giant Bomb's.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#9 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

The way Gamespot is covering movie news is like they are doing their job well on video game side. I don't visit main page anymore. I mostly use other websites and come here to use forums.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

PC had almost 100 missing reviews last gen (Games that were on every platform), and still won the aaa/aa count lol.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

The fact of the matter and problem is GameSpot seems to favor whatever is the most popular thing at whatever given moment, it's pathetic.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@dragonfly110: Giant Bomb can be weird sometimes. Giving a 4 to Gears of War Ultimate Edition and 4 to Kirby and the Rainbow Curse confuses me. I think they should change how they score games, im tried of hearing them whine "o, but yall dont understand, we have a 5 point scale" bullshat.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

The way Gamespot is covering movie news is like they are doing their job well on video game side. I don't visit main page anymore. I mostly use other websites and come here to use forums.

Havent used the main page since they fired Jeff.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#14 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@clyde46 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Havent used the main page since they fired Jeff.

Ah, old school gamespot. Used to be a great website. Hell even IGN was amazing back then. Go read some of their articles or watch reviews from 2007 era and you'll see how far we've come. Back then they knew what they are talking about. Now, everything feels so fake and bad.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

And I hate to say it, but it seems to me at least, that games which are more or less just re-released on PS4, seem to get a lot less criticism in their reviews. In fact they get praised for it and get better scores. But games re-released on other systems seem to take an ass kicking.

I might not be accurate with that, but I get that feeling sometimes.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Fact of the matter is that most publishers are going to give websites the version of the game that's on the dominant platform for the current Gen. This gen. Its the ps4, last gen it was 360, the gen before that was ps2. I don't think there are any sinister intensions behind it.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

This is usually where the hermits would tell a peasant to stop whining and call them a baby and post a image of a pacifier.

But it's all good.

Continue the bitching.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224

@clyde46: same here man, the only time I go to the main page is when I click on a button by accident that sends me there. There are only two people at GS that are worth a damn and that's Mary and Danny. I usually just go to giant bomb when I want an opinion on a game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

Some of the stuff Danny O'dwyer does it quite good, almost too good for Gamespot, like it should be on Eurogamer.

Lucy James does some good stuff as well, the rest is just, pish. At this point it's kind of RPS and Eurogamer that are whittling down the only front page worth the effort.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

This is usually where the hermits would tell a peasant to stop whining and call them a baby and post a image of a pacifier.

But it's all good.

Continue the bitching.

stop whining

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Salt_The_Fries

@mems_1224: I also thought about that and you might be right. However, it still doesn't explain the PC part of this conundrum at all.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@lostrib: I don't want to converse with you.

You're flag happy.

Tattle tale.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lostrib

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib: I don't want to converse with you.

You're flag happy.

Tattle tale.

what?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Some of the stuff Danny O'dwyer does it quite good, almost too good for Gamespot, like it should be on Eurogamer.

Lucy James does some good stuff as well, the rest is just, pish. At this point it's kind of RPS and Eurogamer that are whittling down the only front page worth the effort.

I miss Greg Kasavin's stuff, when he was essentially the boss around here this place was amazing. Back then it was about the games, it wasn't about Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, it was about games, platforms be damned... Now it's just a bunch of Apple generation hipster kids more or less that don't know their assholes from their elbows...

This place is in shambles...

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

EuroGamer , PCG , RPS and DSOG are the only websites where I can find something kewl to read , GS is a history now

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

The Xbox One has been shat on by everyone ever since their disastrous 2013 reveal and hell even before that, nothing is new and GameSpot is hardly the only one doing it.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

Every organization has bias to some degree, at the end of the day reviews are just opinions. I think some people's reviews on here are better than others. Ever since this place gave mgs4 a 10 I stopped trusting their reviews.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Why review a game like Shadowrun: Hong Kong when you can put up several movie articles, a cute cat dressed as Darth Vader and the upcoming possible announcement of a new chair in Destiny?

So basically their on their way to become IGN. Or have they arrived already?

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#30 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries:

don't think your right about the bias... but you just opened my eyes to a game I didn't even know existed. It looks like hexen in 2015 paint with rouge like elements... thanks. will be downloading zigguraut on my ps4... :)

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Midnightshade29

@magmadragoonx4 said:

Every organization has bias to some degree, at the end of the day reviews are just opinions. I think some people's reviews on here are better than others. Ever since this place gave mgs4 a 10 I stopped trusting their reviews.

MGS4 deserved that 10 - way more than GTA4 (damn gta4 was so horrible!) ... its what got me to buy a ps3 last gen (was pc only at the time as ps2/xbox gen I skipped, only to buy a ps2 later down the line)

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Midnightshade29

@nyadc said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I miss Greg Kasavin's stuff, when he was essentially the boss around here this place was amazing. Back then it was about the games, it wasn't about Sega, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony, it was about games, platforms be damned... Now it's just a bunch of Apple generation hipster kids more or less that don't know their assholes from their elbows...

Holy shit!!! i am actually agreeing with you on something.... (well I don't think the site is in shambles...much better than last gen where xb360 was first in the menu up top and a clear bias was had)... Although the site was much better in Gen 6... way more pc content. Of course pc actually had great AAA exclusives back then that weren't stupid mobas or early access games.

The thing I agree with is about Kasavin... that guy rocked as a reviewer. Was fair and didn't favor any platform. He gave out detailed reviews with ZERO of that bs politically correct SJW hipster speak. I don't come to a game site to read about stupid social issues I don't have one care for. I come for the game reviews... and he used to break it down so well. I particularly remember his Morrowind review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-review/1900-2865084/

That guy knew his shit and wasn't trying to be flashy or hipster like cough (ign - screaming into the mike and flashing half naked women on the screen just for clicks).

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#33 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Everyone is for that matter. Publishers pretty much exclusively send out PS4 copy for reviews and this includes The Witcher 3 which is a big PC game. .

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

@Midnightshade29: lol mgs4 deserved it far more than gta4 but that's only a relative subject neither deserved even an 8.

Avatar image for Darkhorse-Gamer
Darkhorse-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darkhorse-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

Link Someone talked about GS neglects PC and it's just a small example.

Darkhorse-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Darkhorse-Gamer
@Midnightshade29 said:
@nyadc said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Holy shit!!! i am actually agreeing with you on something.... (well I don't think the site is in shambles...much better than last gen where xb360 was first in the menu up top and a clear bias was had)... Although the site was much better in Gen 6... way more pc content. Of course pc actually had great AAA exclusives back then that weren't stupid mobas or early access games.

The thing I agree with is about Kasavin... that guy rocked as a reviewer. Was fair and didn't favor any platform. He gave out detailed reviews with ZERO of that bs politically correct SJW hipster speak. I don't come to a game site to read about stupid social issues I don't have one care for. I come for the game reviews... and he used to break it down so well. I particularly remember his Morrowind review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-review/1900-2865084/

That guy knew his shit and wasn't trying to be flashy or hipster like cough (ign - screaming into the mike and flashing half naked women on the screen just for clicks).

Greg Kasavin is still on another level, Gamespot wasn't same site when he left in 2007. Kasavin hired Erik Wolpaw for writing reviews & he became writer at Valve. That was Gamespot back in the days. CBS ruined this site, they fired all good reviewers. I bet something happened with Kevin Vanord like Jeff Gerstmann. Site redesign (2013) f**ked up GS. We lost FUSE, Unions, bloggers etc.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mems_1224

@Darkhorse-Gamer: unions sucked ass

UCBs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I never noticed only use the forums here the website itself isnt interesting.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#39 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I never noticed only use the forums here the website itself isnt interesting.

^ This.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salt_The_Fries

@Midnightshade29: I love Hexen and Ziggurat is $7.50 this week on the Xbone and I'm highly tempted to get it as well :)

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#41  Edited By Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

Gamespot neglects PC ? Just look at site editors xD, they're console gamers. Community that's what make this good gaming site.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Its been like this for a few years now especially with PC, the forums are getting really boring now too. GS used to be my main site for game related news but I skip GS a lot these days as its usually one sided crap in both the forums and on the front page.

I really like Danny O'dwyer, and Lucy James content and Rob Handlery makes me laugh. If it wasnt for those three I probably wouldnt come here at all.

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Running-Target

@-God-: @nyadc: Member since 1990, what kind of sorcery is this XD.

Darkhorse-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Darkhorse-Gamer
@mesome713 said:

Only game review i see missing is Smite. I looked threw PS4, 3DS, Wii U, and Vita. Only game i see missing from PC is Trine 3. Big releases have been pretty dead as usual in the summer. Its bout to get crazy now though.

It's good GS didn't review Trine 3 yet. GS would probably give it a harsh score. Devs al;ready apologized, you can see video on their youtube channel. Trine future is uncertain atm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Why do you bother reading this sites content? why not just go to reddit or something on your favourite games? they provide FAR more information, far more discussion, and are often way ahead in news.

These sites are trash, they highlight the games that get them the most money only. they make troll articles to get more hits at games that don't.

Hey, lets complete blanket Star Citizen's amazing gamescon demo .... but make a front page banner article about Star Wars wallpapers..... because f*ck covering a wide range of games, just the ones the casual kiddies click "ooo".

I come here for the lols... the main site has no purpose anymore. Not a dig against the presenters (Danny n co... I Actually really like his stuff) but these sites are now deprecating....

Darkhorse-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Darkhorse-Gamer
@mems_1224 said:

UCBs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some of my greatest friends on this website and I came together through UCBs and Unions. GS FUSE, the best community there ever was. :(

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Running-Target

@Darkhorse-Gamer said:
@mems_1224 said:

UCBs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some of my greatest friends on this website and I came together through UCBs and Unions. GS FUSE, the best community there ever was. :(

Good old times. Those were the days....

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224

@Darkhorse-Gamer: The Lounge and OTB>>>>>>>>

Rip Colt45fool, mowz, WorstGameEver, Black-Demon, Orlando_Magic, Scuervo and fat_rob

:(

isturbo1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 isturbo1984
Member since 2015 • 660 Posts

It's pretty obvious they are neglecting every platform except for the PS4. This is a fact. Evidence is all around the website. And the reason is because of the market. By the numbers... the PC market is dead, save for mobas... the Xbox One has sold more than twice the amount of Wii Us... and the Ps4 has sold more than twice the amount of Xbox Ones. Buyers and sellers are paying attention to the PS4 and any and all news surrounding the system is what is important. Commercially. Sony doesn't have to pay off the media. If vg news sites like GS wants to make money off clicks, PS4 articles is the way to do it, unless it is some scandal. Most everything else just attracts trolls and fanboys (like the SW here).