Games who's online servers close

This topic is locked from further discussion.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

Once a game server is cancelled is there still a way to play just about any game online using a PC?

For instance Nintendo is closing tons servers in May. Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Do we call up Nintendo for a program? What do we do?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

nothing you can do

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@lawlessx said:

nothing you can do

Bingo, you kinda oddly just have to "deal with it"- Confucius

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yep, it sucks. I don't play many online games, but I wish I could just jump into a match of MGO, or MGO2 sometimes.. no such luck.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

You use that magic wand to move on.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Is it unreasonable to expect last gen games to stay online forever?

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Yep, it sucks. I don't play many online games, but I wish I could just jump into a match of MGO, or MGO2 sometimes.. no such luck.

I hear ya.

It's still possible, just requires a little work: https://savemgo.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

So worth it though.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Bigboi500 said:

Is it unreasonable to expect last gen games to stay online forever?

good question.

i think it would be good if they moved from a centralised model, to decentralised.

eg: while the game is supported there is matchmaking. once the game is no longer supported you get one final patch - and bam, matchmaking (infrastructure supported multiplayer) disappears, and you just get a more simplified server browser.

also, as long as 'xbox live' (whatever) subscription exists, I think older clients eg original xbox, xbox 360 - should be able to connect to the Live/whatever infrastructure. see friends, invite them to games etc. that infrastructure i consider a bit different to centralised matchmaking.

anyway i'm not necessarily in love with this idea. just some cursory thinking upon your question.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
@pyratrum said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I hear ya.

It's still possible, just requires a little work: https://savemgo.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

So worth it though.

Yeah, one of my old DDC friends was telling me about that a while back.. just curious, have you gotten on there? And how active is it?

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PyratRum

@ConanTheStoner said:
@pyratrum said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I hear ya.

So worth it though.

Yeah, one of my old DDC friends was telling me about that a while back.. just curious, have you gotten on there? And how active is it?

Yeah, but like I said its gonna take some work, especially if you're gonna go the PS2 route.

There a handful of players during the week but you can find quite a few full games on the weekend. A lot of players plan sessions together on the forum as well.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner  Online

@pyratrum said:

@ConanTheStoner said:
@pyratrum said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I hear ya.

So worth it though.

Yeah, but like I said its gonna take some work, especially if you're gonna go the PS2 route.

There a handful of players during the week but you can find quite a few full games on the weekend. A lot of players plan sessions together on the forum as well.

Cool man, I'll give it a try some time. Luckily I have a few friends in town that are MGO vets and one of them has some decent pull with the MGO community. Might try to bring some more peeps in and plan some games.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#13 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I'll miss playing my Wii online.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PyratRum

@getyeryayasout said:

^^ I love gamer's iron will when it comes to the games they want to play. I remember playing Halo CE online on original Xbox using something called Spy Tunnel. It was pre-XBL and it blew my frickin' mind.

Right before Halo: Reach was released my brother and I spent a few weekends playing Halo 2 split-screen online using XLink Kai. Most games available were being hosted in Central America so it was laggy as **** at times, but damn, dat nostalgia.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PyratRum

@ConanTheStoner said:

@pyratrum said:

@ConanTheStoner said:
@pyratrum said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

I hear ya.

So worth it though.

Cool man, I'll give it a try some time. Luckily I have a few friends in town that are MGO vets and one of them has some decent pull with the MGO community. Might try to bring some more peeps in and plan some games.

The more, the merrier. Especially in the case of such a small, but dedicated, community.

The team that brought it back online is currently working on MGO2 as well and doing some great progress. Really looking forward to that one as well.