Games used to tell great stories and PC was its home

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lordlors (6125 posts) -

People always say games don't really excel in plot and storytelling and it's best that it stays that way and focus more on gameplay. Well, they're entirely wrong. Especially in the West, before the advent of FPS, games were all about plot and storytelling. All you need to look at is the adventure genre. Games have the capability to tell stories in a way different if not as good as the legendary mediums, film and literature due to its inclusion of interactivity. Contrary to what many would believe, interactivity does not ruin storytelling but in fact makes it more immersive with the right elements in place. Deep themes could have been covered. The truth is, there are still numerous themes and settings video games haven't tackled yet.

Watch this video because it will enlighten you. Part 1

The key to the failure of today's games in plot and storytelling does not lie in the developers and publishers but in the gamers themselves. Satisfied with mediocre storytelling with greater emphasis on action and cinematics, games that actually have great stories will never be created in high budgets and will never sell well. In such an environment, the development of video game storytelling will never arise.

Games that have great stories are still being made nowadays but they are so obscure and unknown and usually low budget that they will never achieve great status in the industry.

RPGs also used to tell great stories but this gen's RPGs just aren't good as the old ones.

#2 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

Don't worry, gta 5 should be out soon, not for pc though

#3 Posted by MrYaotubo (2880 posts) -

Meeeper282
Yeah,that will be soon after,and a substantially superior version as usual. Also,GTA for story? lol
#4 Posted by lordlors (6125 posts) -

Meeeper282
lol gta 5 for story? sorry kiddo, best to get back on what you only know best.
#5 Posted by funsohng (29905 posts) -
I don't say games don'[t excel at plot or storytelling. But I do believe games as a medium are so different from existing mediums like movies or books because of its interactivity, saying that it's "great" based on the standards of already established mediums (that are different from gaming) is frankly absurd. The only reason why games don't excel at these areas is because it is still a very young medium, and when it fully matures, it will sport a different story from that of the ones in other mediums, told in equally different ways. Cinematic and action, those are all part of story and storytelling. It's always the way they are told, presented, and the extent they occupy the screen time, not the explosions themselves that dictates whether they are valid or not. Same with linearity. It has its uses, even in an interactive medium like gaming. It helps the developers to control the pacing. And not all games require interactivity in plot, it is just required in storytelling.
#6 Posted by jg4xchamp (61465 posts) -

Save the adventure genre(and a lot of times those games struggle with the game side of the game) the medium tends to tell poor version plots of better works of literature/film/television.

Are games capable of having entertaining stories or even great ones like Planescape Torment and Mother 3? Sure. But with a lot greater rarity than the other mediums that are entirely built specifically to tell a story. It's sort of why adventure games usually excel more so. Because they are more about the story, and less about what you do on a gameplay standpoint, because what you do is some rather clever puzzles depending on the dev, or puzzles that fit the age old "adventure game logic bullsh1t" in other cases.

Ultimately for some people it's not so much that gaming isn't trying or isn't even capable. It's that the other mediums are just so far ahead that those rare exceptions are kind of easy to ignore.

#7 Posted by Sailor_Enlil (1552 posts) -

Ever heard of Persona 4?

#8 Posted by adamosmaki (10566 posts) -
there are still games with great stories not as much as the 90's but still . Cryostasis comes to mind
#9 Posted by nitekids2004 (2981 posts) -

Journey.

The Last of Us.

MGS4.

Heavy Rain.

Beyond: Two Souls.

It has a new home now.:cool:

#10 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

People always say games don't really excel in plot and storytelling and it's best that it stays that way and focus more on gameplay. Well, they're entirely wrong. Especially in the West, before the advent of FPS, games were all about plot and storytelling. All you need to look at is the adventure genre. Games have the capability to tell stories in a way different if not as good as the legendary mediums, film and literature due to its inclusion of interactivity. Contrary to what many would believe, interactivity does not ruin storytelling but in fact makes it more immersive with the right elements in place. Deep themes could have been covered. The truth is, there are still numerous themes and settings video games haven't tackled yet.

The key to the failure of today's games in plot and storytelling does not lie in the developers and publishers but in the gamers themselves. Satisfied with mediocre storytelling with greater emphasis on action and cinematics, games that actually have great stories will never be created in high budgets and will never sell well. In such an environment, the development of video game storytelling will never arise.

Games that have great stories are still being made nowadays but they are so obscure and unknown and usually low budget that they will never achieve great status in the industry.

RPGs also used to tell great stories but this gen's RPGs just aren't good as the old ones.

lordlors
Wow that brought back a lot of memories. Infocom's office used to be right down the street from where I lived in Cambridge, MA. I remember going into their retail office where they had many of their games for sale. They always had swag in their game boxes, which was pretty cool back then.
#11 Posted by Puckhog04 (22814 posts) -

If you don't think games have good stories today then you've missed alot of games. Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Amnesia, MGS4, Dishonored, Halo 4, etc etc. Cleary you've missed alot of games.

#12 Posted by RyviusARC (5668 posts) -

I've been paying some older games and even in the 90s there were games with bad stories.

And some of my favorite adventure games like Grim Fandango didn't necessarily have outstandingy written plots.

The reasons the story was enjoyable for Grim Fandango was the characters and presentation.

Voice acting helped a lot giving more color to the characters' personatlities.

Currently I am playing a visual novel from 1996 that mostly plays like a point and click adventure and love it because of the same things I mentioned.

#13 Posted by Some-Mist (5631 posts) -
The key to the failure of today's games in plot and storytelling does not lie in the developers and publishers but in the gamers themselves. Satisfied with mediocre storytelling with greater emphasis on action and cinematics, games that actually have great stories will never be created in high budgets and will never sell well.lordlors
glad I'm not part of this problem. It's just sad that in the December "what are you buying" thread, I was the only one to list Primordia.. and the only one on the forums to even talk about/promote The Sea Will Claim Everything. These games - much like the older games addressed in the video - still do exist today.. but as you mentioned, they're lower budget because it's not what the typical gamer wants. the point and click adventure genre is still among my favorite.
#14 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

lordlors

this.

interactivity is fine except that there is no humanity in games yet. technically, video games aren't there yet when it comes to emotion, and other than a few guys, video game voice work is hit or miss. subtleties can't be portrayed...and games like heavy rain that try to put drama in games is criticized for qtes....

talk in 20 years...maybe games can be more up to par to movies and literature.oh and btw....fps didn't ruin anything...i think the writing is better now than back then

#15 Posted by Pikminmaniac (11211 posts) -

Journey.

The Last of Us.

MGS4.

Heavy Rain.

nitekids2004

LOL! OMG my sides!

#16 Posted by Frostbite24 (4538 posts) -

Nah the PC is still rocking the storytelling part. Did you miss To the Moon?

#17 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -

Ever heard of Persona 4?

Sailor_Enlil
PS2 was glorious. Excluding PC, PS2 is definitely my favourite console. PS3 is such a disappointment in comparison.
#18 Posted by Maroxad (14627 posts) -

Adventure games sure were good, and one of the few viable examples of video game writing an storyteling. I really hope they can start coming back.

Journey.

The Last of Us.

MGS4.

Heavy Rain.

nitekids2004

Hmm

#19 Posted by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

Journey.

The Last of Us.

MGS4.

Heavy Rain.

nitekids2004

He means games with stories, not movie-games

#20 Posted by CaptainAhab13 (5121 posts) -
Spiderweb Software. /thread
#21 Posted by lordlors (6125 posts) -

I don't say games don'[t excel at plot or storytelling. But I do believe games as a medium are so different from existing mediums like movies or books because of its interactivity, saying that it's "great" based on the standards of already established mediums (that are different from gaming) is frankly absurd. The only reason why games don't excel at these areas is because it is still a very young medium, and when it fully matures, it will sport a different story from that of the ones in other mediums, told in equally different ways. Cinematic and action, those are all part of story and storytelling. It's always the way they are told, presented, and the extent they occupy the screen time, not the explosions themselves that dictates whether they are valid or not. Same with linearity. It has its uses, even in an interactive medium like gaming. It helps the developers to control the pacing. And not all games require interactivity in plot, it is just required in storytelling.funsohng
Video games use elements from established mediums in not so different ways. The animation of video games isn't that different from animation in films and shows albeit it's much more complicated due to player interaction. Same goes for the graphics and it can take any styles like cel shaded, cartoonistic, realistic, or something similar to the art world like van gogh. The music in video games is very diverse just like music outside video games and has already achieved status in the music world with numerous professional orchestras and musicians playing video game music. Cutscenes is like a part of film because it takes away the player's control and shows a scenario (although too much of it destroys what constitutes a game).

It is a young medium that's why it hasn't fully developed yet but it is a medium that takes a lot of elements from the established ones. Interactivity doesn't change those elements that it's using graphics similar to the art world, animation similar to films, musical style reminiscent of classical and film music, etc. I remember reading a Goosebumps book where you have choices and depending on that choice you will have a different outcome. I don't know if this was done first in books or games but interactivity does not heavily change the elements of the game that are similar to the established mediums that much but rather complicates things and with elements done right, has the power to immerse the player more deeply.

When i mentioned about action, i was thinking of B action movies. Action can be great in storytelling but too much emphasis of it without any sense or any depth from the plot will degenerate into your typical junk action movie.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#22 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12731 posts) -

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

Journey.

The Last of Us.

MGS4.

Heavy Rain.

Pikminmaniac

LOL! OMG my sides!

You nailed my reaction. Cows :lol:
#23 Posted by Some-Mist (5631 posts) -
[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]Spiderweb Software. /thread

how exactly does that end the thread? when he stated in the OP: "Games that have great stories are still being made nowadays but they are so obscure and unknown and usually low budget that they will never achieve great status in the industry."
Adventure games sure were good, and one of the few viable examples of video game writing an storyteling. I really hope they can start coming back.Maroxad
there has been a resurgence of great adventure games released this gen - especially in the last 2 years. you just haven't been looking hard enough.
#24 Posted by slipknot0129 (5832 posts) -

I get enough story out of Call of Duty Black Ops 2/End Thread

#25 Posted by Cheleman (8197 posts) -

Journey.

The Last of Us.

MGS4.

Heavy Rain.

nitekids2004

^This^

#26 Posted by Maroxad (14627 posts) -

]there has been a resurgence of great adventure games released this gen - especially in the last 2 years.Some-Mist

I know.

But it is still nowhere near as big as one that might come.