SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

That game for me right now is Tetris Effect! Picked this up on the e-shop (if you have GamePass or PS Plus Extra, it’s on there too). Love that it takes Tetris but makes it more interesting by adding immersive music and the beats coincidence with how you play. If this was just Tetris, I’d be meh. But sign mine up for Tetris Effect, especially on my Switch OLED! 😎

How about you, SW? What games surprised you?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15986 Posts

Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I didn't like the demo very much, but I decided to buy the game anyhow. I'm glad I did, because it's a fun little game. It's so cute to see Kirby take the form of a traffic cone, a vending machine or a car.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

Tetris Effect seems more beneficial for VR. I'll just stick to the crossovers with Puyo Puyo for regular screen Tetris.

Anyway, my recent choice would be probably TMNT: Shredder's Revenge.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

The Rez games are amazing (Pretty sure made by same people)

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Anthem…..bait’n’switch baby!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Kirby and the Forgotten Land was a fairly recent one. I knew I would enjoy it but was kind of surprised at just how much.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7196 Posts

Kirby and the Forgotten Land did it for me. That game is so amazing. Goty easy.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is pretty good too. Another one for me NEO The World Ends With You. I didn’t think they could match the original as far as gameplay goes (without the dual screen), but they found a way to do it a different direction and still make it fun. If anything, it’s even more complex than the original!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Metroid Dread was another one that I knew I would enjoy but turned out to be even better then I expected. Fantastic game.

Avatar image for marleykilladope
marLeYkiLLaDope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 marLeYkiLLaDope
Member since 2022 • 37 Posts

Batman: Arkham Knight

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

TLOU 2 - a rollercoaster experience

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34569 Posts

TMNT: SR surprised me with the amount of moves you could do. Glad it was deeper than I thought.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Sleeping Dogs I expected a decent game but ended up with one of the best open world crime games ever made.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Call of Cthulhu was a surprise for me. I didn't think it would be nearly as interesting as it turned out. I got it as a freebie from Games With Gold, but after playing it and absolutely loving the story, I bought it on PC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Expected Amid Evil to be so-so low budget retro inspired shooter. Dime a dozen at the point. Didn't pick it up at launch and bought on a sale whim.

One of me fav FPS of all time now. Of note in particular is Arcane Expanse, easily some of the most beautiful levels seen in any game.

Loading Video...
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

12 Minutes was a surprisingly good game. It's got a few twists in there too.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

The original Nier, far better than I initially expected it to be.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

@Ibacai said:

Anthem…..bait’n’switch baby!

What happened with Anthem really upset me.

They could've made an amazing single player rpg with live components and it would've been amazing.

Making a live service game was a waste of Bioware's talents.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

most recently demon's souls remake. picked it up when i bought a ps5 early last year. wasn't really on my radar, thought it would just be ok, something to play whilst waiting for other games. but it blew me away, so good. and it looks amazing, not a stretch to say its the best looking ps5 game

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I was never into the Kirby series at all and the only one that I have ever played was the NES Kirby game. But ever since the trailers for Forgotten land came out, it looked very interesting, and I was happy that I bought it since it's amazing.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3045 Posts

Guacamelee - Had no interest in side-scrollers after playing them for years, but I ended up loving it.

Hotline Miami - Was burnt out on everything being pixel art, but the game was great.

Subnautica - Oversaturation of survival games, but it changed my mind. Probably the scariest game I've ever played.

Vanquish - Didn't care for the demo, but it was super fun.

Sleeping Dogs - Never really liked GTA, but really enjoyed this one.

I guess the theme is that I'm too quick to judge. But then again, sometimes my judgement works; like with Anthem, Cyberpunk, Fallout 76, etc.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Arkham Asylum. Expected another super hero cash-in. But it turned put to be one of my absolute favourite games of all time!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38705 Posts

Halo Infinite. I expected it to be bad, but wow. Talk about trashing its Halo 5 records.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

@marleykilladope:

I just started playing Arkham Knight, it is pretty good, but I find the combat is a bit cheesy with all the button prompts and the animations mid combat.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3540 Posts

Catherine surprised me at the time. Absolutely everything about the game was unexpected in the greatest way. If you haven't played it, do yourself a favor and pickup Catherine Full Body.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

Arkham Origins - got it like a year after release because the game got a 6-7 everywhere, turned out it was really good. Maybe because it came out after Arkham City which was a great game

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

More recently, Ghost of Tsushima.

This was a very pleasant surprise. A love letter to the source material, beautiful, with an engaging and satisfying combat engine (for an open world), unlockables, narrative progression, interesting characters, pacing of their development, variety of environments, all wrapped up and punctuated by an amazing ending.

Easily one of the best open world games in a long time.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Litchie
@Sushiglutton said:

Arkham Asylum. Expected another super hero cash-in. But it turned put to be one of my absolute favourite games of all time!

It's really good. Sadly they went with the boring open world route for the sequels.

I'd love to get a solid, linear, half open(?) Batman game again like Asylum. Make some tight gameplay sections instead of forcing the player to take out two thousand bandit outposts or what the shit they waste your time with nowadays.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Titanfall 2 as I expected it to be bad COD clone. but turn out amazing SP FPS experience.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Greedfall

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8186 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Amid Evil is my favorite sp fps in a long time

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

Astro Bot Rescue Mission (PSVR, 2018). I never expected platforming with VR to be so creative and fun.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

Horizon Zero Dawn. I was expecting Tomb raider with robots...and it kinda is that....but the combat is surprisingly fun and the game is just nice to play overall. I didn't find myself getting tired of it. I must finish it and am looking forward to when FW gets to the PC.

FF7 Remake: I grabbed it when it dropped on steam there. It has its issues but overall i am enjoying it. The combat is good fun. Its development on the source material is also generally good. The soundtrack is great. Technical issues and some odd stuff added to the story let it down a bit but neither issue is game breaking (seriously though Square: vsync. can you even just add vsync?).

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
@Litchie said:
@Sushiglutton said:

It's really good. Sadly they went with the boring open world route for the sequels.

I'd love to get a solid, linear, half open(?) Batman game again like Asylum. Make some tight gameplay sections instead of forcing the player to take out two thousand bandit outposts or what the shit they waste your time with nowadays.

Yeah it was very disapointing. It’s sad studios feel they must have content just for the sake of it… Arkham Asylum was so cleverly designed in how it guided you through it’s intricate layout. I just wanted more like that.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidGame_basic

@st_monica: want to check that out when I get PS VR2!

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Returnal. Never really been into bullet hell or roguelike games. The setting, atmosphere, enemy design, all fantastic and made even better with a stellar sounds track and 3D audio enabled.

I just wish it had more content and less recycled levels (2nd act is largely copy/paste of act 1). Biome 3 is easily one of the greatest levels I've played through in a game for some time, topped off with the Nemesis boss fight.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 732 Posts

Hades. It completely changed who I am as a gamer. I went from loving AAA experiences to seeking out mostly indies.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 st_monica

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, I can assure you that you will be amazed at how it creatively blends VR and platform action. I will be very disappointed if TeamASOBI (formerly JapanStudio) does not have a new Astro Bot game ready for the PSVR2 launch.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

In recent years:

Streets of Rage 4

Fall Guys

Among Us

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic

@st_monica said:

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, I can assure you that you will be amazed at how it creatively blends VR and platform action. I will be very disappointed if TeamASOBI (formerly JapanStudio) does not have a new Astro Bot game ready for the PSVR2 launch.

👍 I wonder if PS VR2 will come out this year 🤔

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38705 Posts

@Jendeh said:

Hades. It completely changed who I am as a gamer. I went from loving AAA experiences to seeking out mostly indies.

How about just playing good games instead of choosing one of the two as if only indies offer quality titles?

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#42 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2945 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Metroid Dread was another one that I knew I would enjoy but turned out to be even better then I expected. Fantastic game.

Agreed. I watched the videos and trailers on it but when I actually sat down and played it, it turned out to be a lot better than I expected.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 st_monica

@SolidGame_basic: Well, it's rumored to be early 2023, though Sony's original plan was probably for this holiday season. Some folks are predicting it might launch around the same time as the upcoming RE4 remake, which will be compatible with PSVR2.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Litchie

God of War (2018) surprised me as well.

I was surprised by how shit it was. And I'm also surprised with the patience others have with shit. After hearing so much praise, even from my friends whom I thought had pretty good taste in games, I tried the game out and was appalled. Luckily, it's from Sony who's games I've ignored for decades because of them being shit, so this kind of crap might stay with Sony. But if this would become the norm for how games are being made in the future, god damn. Need to find a new hobby.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@Litchie said:

God of War (2018) surprised me as well.

I was surprised by how shit it was. And I'm also surprised with the patience others have with shit. After hearing so much praise, even from my friends whom I thought had pretty good taste in games, I tried the game out and was appalled. Luckily, it's from Sony who's games I've ignored for decades because of them being shit, so this kind of crap might stay with Sony. But if this would become the norm for how games are being made in the future, god damn. Need to find a new hobby.

Well said.

This is one of the worst game I have ever ever played. there's nothing about this game is good. except graphics maybe. combat is awful. just slow, tedious and press few buttons.

the entire game is scripted walking in straight line.

lot of people here shit on my games but when games like this available it make any bad game looks like a masterpiece.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Batman Arkham Asylum. I don't like superheroes and avoided the game for quite a while even after all the praise. I finally got it after the sequel was released to see what's all the fuss is about. Ended up liking it a lot. The only superhero game I enjoyed.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Outer Wilds

Didn't expect such a mind-blowing physics sandbox

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16538 Posts

hades and subnautica. Both these games were indies and I didn't expect it to be so great. Metroid Dread, is a solid game, and I forgot that nintendo could make such solid 2d games still. Then you have halo infinite, which blew my mind with the massively open world concept.

SMT3 surprised me with its jokes and dialogue. Its obviously from an older time, because the stuff they say wouldn't fly in todays woke world.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Titanfall 2 as I expected it to be bad COD clone. but turn out amazing SP FPS experience.

Same! I had super low expectations for this based on the first one. But wow, what a pleasant surprise!

Also, OP, thanks for the Tetris recommend, I did see that on the Game Catalogue (PS+) and glanced it over before brushing it off. I'll check it out.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SolidGame_basic

@shellcase86: 👍