SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

Is it just me, or have games become more challenging (but fair) recently? I've been playing Doom Eternal and this game kicks my ass even on the 'normal difficulty'. But I love it, and I feel like the game makes me get better and improve my strategies. A couple games also come to mind are Hades and Crash 4. In Hades, you lose, but the game does a great job of incentivizing you to keep playing, with the upgrade system. And Crash 4 can be a bit brutal, especially if you're aiming for 100% the levels, but I always come back for more. And I like that games have evolved to give players a proper challenge.

What do you think, SW? Have we come a long way when it comes to difficulty / difficulty options, or is there still more room for improvement?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

Bloodborne does it best. Either you make your way to kill father gascoigne and enjoy the game or rage quit.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I always felt that most Nintendo games especially in the Mario and Zelda franchises did difficulty pretty well.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

A bunch of them, and have been doing it for years. Most shit people call unfair, cheap, "artificial difficulty" is a glorified excuse for them being a scrub. If there is a consistent response to the problem being presented, then the sequence isn't exactly unfair, and you aren't being asked to deal with something unreliable.

The most neat little challenge shit recently is the follow up runs of Hades, that at least on paper is a cool gimmick.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 my_user_name  Online
Member since 2019 • 1233 Posts

Control added difficulty tweaks in its settings post launch. I think that's a very nice touch. I only just started playing it so I haven't looked at them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38797 Posts

No, i wouldn't say that they're getting more challenging. Doom Eternal was very sweaty on Nightmare, especially the first half of the game. But then again, that's not normal mode so its supposed to be difficult. Crash is made just like the OG games from the series, and back then that was the standard difficulty.

I find that Fromsoft does it best when it comes to difficulty. Everyone is on the same level playing field. The dev tailors all the encounters for the same difficulty.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic  Online

@my_user_name said:

Control added difficulty tweaks in its settings post launch. I think that's a very nice touch. I only just started playing it so I haven't looked at them.

I think Last of Us 2 added all kinds of difficulty options post launch.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Bloodborne does it best. Either you make your way to kill father gascoigne and enjoy the game or rage quit.

haha I did the latter!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

Bayonetta, normally game difficulty is just cheap adjustment of damage values, players deal less and enemies deal more and take more ad you go up. For Bayonetta at least (and other games do this too) difficulty instead relies more on changing how the encounters are scripted, maybe offer a different arrangement of enemies at certain encounters and not just rely on a lazy damage value solution. Furthermore a game like this scores your gameplay, so there too, surviving a level or scenario isn't the entire challenge, but doing so with a degree of refinement.

For online PvE MP some stat focused RPG games do horrible job scaling difficulty between party members with different stats. Avengers was horrible at this which killed my post game grind. Original Division too, you just had to meet up with friends after hitting the level cap. Division 2 did a much better job scaling though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24913 Posts

Doom Eternal.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#11 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Grounded mode and permadeath. Haven't tried either yet. TLOU on new game grounded mode was a blast, but this one might kick my ass.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Didn't you save 75 times to finish RE2 on easy?

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Nier Automata and both Nioh games felt well balanced.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

Damn the last 2 levels in Crash 4 really pissed me off.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Souls series, with some exceptions in Sekiro and the defiled dungeon bosses in Bloodborne. Once you learn to 'get gud', all other action rpgs in general are too easy.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Doom Eternal, The souls series, Cuphead

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3218 Posts

Doom Eternal

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

Like NG+ whenever possible.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I think Doom Eternal does it perfectly. It’s really good at teaching you how to play and then give you enough challenge to check if you have learned. It feels extremely fair, even though it is tough.

The Witness is another example, from a completely different genre. Learning is fun.

In general I think AAA games are a bit harder this gen than the last. And they also are mechanically much better. Take a game like God of War for example. Tough and fair!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

@Ibacai: I disagree on Nioh. That Hino Emma boss fight made me cheese the whole game with sloth talisman.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34594 Posts

Most games that I play.

Love the Souls games for its difficulty. Harsh, but still fair. No weird difficulty spikes.

Love roguelikes where they're usually really hard, but make you feel like you progress even though you die often.

Love hard FPSs, like DOOM Eternal on Nightmare. If you die, it's because you made a mistake, and you always know what that mistake was, making you able to fix it for the next try.

Love Nintendo games where you can play more casually and relaxed in the beginning, slowly ramping up the difficulty as you go, and when you get all the mechanics right, there are harder challenges to tackle later in the games for those who got gud.

I usually like my games a bit on the harder side, but just as long as the progression is good and steady it's aight.

Some games are just too easy to get me invested. Ubisoft's games can be played on autopilot. No fun. Platformers where you can't die (like some Kirby games), not my jam.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

I’d say most modern games are easier now compared to ps1/ps2 days. A lot of games have you press a button just to follow along with a cutscene or in game animations to make it feel like you are doing something. The most recent God of War game is one that impressed me with a good level of difficulty and problem solving.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I always thought the Halo games do difficulty really well, with the Call of Duty campaigns doing it the worst.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidGame_basic  Online

@sakaixx said:

@Ibacai: I disagree on Nioh. That Hino Emma boss fight made me cheese the whole game with sloth talisman.

I cheesed the Tower Knight in Demon's Souls in both the original and the remake. I feel like crap for doing so lol.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ahrequenomori said:

@ghosts4ever: Didn't you save 75 times to finish RE2 on easy?

He's not a gamer, just a ban dodger/troll.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

What do you think, SW? Have we come a long way when it comes to difficulty / difficulty options, or is there still more room for improvement?

I think things just started to circle back around this past gen. Hard-but-fair was always a thing, but challenge fell off a cliff with a lot of AAA titles in gen 7. Went through this phase where it seemed like designers were afraid to hurt gamers feelings, was a weird gen. Like look at how Souls games were able to cement themselves as "omg soooo hard!" when realistically, they're not all that on the challenge. Just relative to the direction the rest of the industry was going at the time, they seemed that way.

In general, seems we're back to a point where designers realize that gamers need to feel engaged, but don't necessarily want the masacore experience. A good balance overall, and plenty of games are still made to appeal to either end of the extremes.

-

Individual games handling difficulty settings, think the first time I was really impressed was with NGB. They'd remix encounter compositions. Introduce new enemies. Make pre-existing enemies more aggressive and less susceptible to certain moves. Give some enemies new attacks. Meaningful changes rather than simple HP adjustments and/or enemies in greater numbers.

Echoing Lamprey, but yeah Bayonetta and just Platinum stuff in general. Adding to what he said, I also liked how Bayo 1 weans you off of Witch Time. Then you get to Nonstop Infinite Climax difficulty and the gloves are completely off.

Probably the most impressive game I've experienced in terms of difficulty settings is TW101. Builds off everything that's great about stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta. But then is able to take it to another level with its continual drip feed of new options, incredibly unique enemy designs, and an unwavering consistency in rules. Feels like this ever expanding action gamers playground, still learn something new each time I play.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

The Ori games and Cuphead does it well. Hell, most platforming games on how to handle difficulty does a good job at it.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@sakaixx: Nah lol **** Bloodborne.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mozelleple112

Games that handle difficulty well are games that are difficult without making enemies health sponges. Sekiro, Dark/Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, every Call of Duty, Ghost of Tsushima handle this very well.

one bullet to the head on Veteran/realism still kills them and 1-3 slashes of the blade kills even on Lethal in Ghost.

Playing GOW on GMG or DMC5 on DMD were both atrocious experiences that I gave up on.

Then again, games that have long ass loading times between each death don't handle difficulty very well. Here Sony exclusives are absolutely unrivalled. Uncharted 2 I completed on Crushing or Brutal, whatever the hardest is. I died 300 times but it didn't matter because of fast loading. Same with COD games, I die hundreds of times on Realism, but it loads quickly so I don't mind.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mozelleple112

The Last of Us 2 has the best difficulty settings of any game though.

I played on Survivor for all settings except for resources on normal, and then Survivor+ for all but resources that was easy+

I might give Grounded a go, but two 45 hour runs of this game put me off for a while.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Any game that has easy, normal, hard, very hard etc. is good in my book. I like the idea of people of all skill levels being able to enjoy gaming.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Company of Heroes pops to mind.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic  Online

@ConanTheStoner said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I think things just started to circle back around this past gen. Hard-but-fair was always a thing, but challenge fell off a cliff with a lot of AAA titles in gen 7. Went through this phase where it seemed like designers were afraid to hurt gamers feelings, was a weird gen. Like look at how Souls games were able to cement themselves as "omg soooo hard!" when realistically, they're not all that on the challenge. Just relative to the direction the rest of the industry was going at the time, they seemed that way.

In general, seems we're back to a point where designers realize that gamers need to feel engaged, but don't necessarily want the masacore experience. A good balance overall, and plenty of games are still made to appeal to either end of the extremes.

-

Individual games handling difficulty settings, think the first time I was really impressed was with NGB. They'd remix encounter compositions. Introduce new enemies. Make pre-existing enemies more aggressive and less susceptible to certain moves. Give some enemies new attacks. Meaningful changes rather than simple HP adjustments and/or enemies in greater numbers.

Echoing Lamprey, but yeah Bayonetta and just Platinum stuff in general. Adding to what he said, I also liked how Bayo 1 weans you off of Witch Time. Then you get to Nonstop Infinite Climax difficulty and the gloves are completely off.

Probably the most impressive game I've experienced in terms of difficulty settings is TW101. Builds off everything that's great about stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta. But then is able to take it to another level with its continual drip feed of new options, incredibly unique enemy designs, and an unwavering consistency in rules. Feels like this ever expanding action gamers playground, still learn something new each time I play.

It does feel like there's been a renaissance when it comes to challenging games. Like you said, Dark Souls seemed to be considered niche at the time because of its difficulty, but after its success, it led to the Dark Souls-ization of games lol.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Dark Souls series

Evil Within

Sekiro

Dead Cells

Fire Emblem games (Though Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are all I've enjoyed)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Bayonetta, normally game difficulty is just cheap adjustment of damage values, players deal less and enemies deal more and take more ad you go up. For Bayonetta at least (and other games do this too) difficulty instead relies more on changing how the encounters are scripted, maybe offer a different arrangement of enemies at certain encounters and not just rely on a lazy damage value solution. Furthermore a game like this scores your gameplay, so there too, surviving a level or scenario isn't the entire challenge, but doing so with a degree of refinement.

For online PvE MP some stat focused RPG games do horrible job scaling difficulty between party members with different stats. Avengers was horrible at this which killed my post game grind. Original Division too, you just had to meet up with friends after hitting the level cap. Division 2 did a much better job scaling though.

@Ibacai said:

Nier Automata and both Nioh games felt well balanced.

I think Platinum's games in general handle difficulty well.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

Huntdown. Anyone that hasn't played it should give it a try. It's a hidden gem for sure. Very challenging but fair.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

Soulsborne come to mind