Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9989 Posts

I recently gave Kingdom Come a go. I really wanted to like it. Was very into the setting/theme and read all the info about medieval life in Bohemia in the menu before I started to play.

But actually playing the game was not for me. Nothing felt good to do. Everything I attempted failed. There was lots of friction. Very tedious. I just gave up and went with something more casual (Days Gone in this case).

Are there any games you think are not bad. But are just a bit too hardcore for you?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40995 Posts

Nothing is too hardcore for me, but there are a lot of "hardcore" games that i despise. CS GO is one of them. CS in general is something i always hated even when many of my highschool friends were into it back in mid 2000's. Shit game 😎

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46959 Posts

Survival games, having to drink and eat every hour or else you die. Feels tedious.

On the other hand I do like crafting and survival elements in other games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't like games that are hard for the sake of being hard; the Souls games... Bloodborne... etc. Not my thing.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sushiglutton

@R4gn4r0k: I agree, those mechanics are not for me.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11345 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Survival games, having to drink and eat every hour or else you die. Feels tedious.

Hard agree. There's nothing more unappealing than this mechanic. Light survival in games I can deal with, but constantly having to nurture the character while fighting crap off at the same time... nope.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18316 Posts

For me, it's Darkest Dungeon ... the gameplay and the art style looks great, but every single review or youtuber i see, they always go like ... "this game is so punishing, you need to perfectly play every dungeon because a single mistake, and your entire party is forever gone" ... and i'm always like, yeah i don't need this kind of strees right now...

Game looks great though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 45008 Posts

The hardcore driving/racing sims aren’t really my thing. The Forza Motorsport games are about as hardcore as I like to go. I like to have a little bit of “arcadey” in my driving/racing games.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26144 Posts

Counter Strike/Valorant: Too repetitive

RTS games: Too much for me to handle at once

Driving sims: Too boring

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46959 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Hard agree. There's nothing more unappealing than this mechanic. Light survival in games I can deal with, but constantly having to nurture the character while fighting crap off at the same time... nope.

Yeah what about having the stamina of an old man suffering from a lunge disease, two swings with a twig and you're out of breath.

A lot of these mechanics don't even make any sense and are there to punish the players, at least so it seems.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#11 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49634 Posts

I had a hard time getting into the Hearts of Iron franchise and Europa Universalis. Paradox games can be rewarding though, just difficult to master with their "grand strategy" approach.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4797 Posts

@Telekill said:

I don't like games that are hard for the sake of being hard; the Souls games... Bloodborne... etc. Not my thing.

This. When you sit down for your first meeting to make your game and the first requirement is "this game must be hard", that is just about as uninspiring as you can get.

philamona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 philamona
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

Need to define what "hardcore" means. It means either "dedicated" or "challenging" depending on the gamer.

I believe that gamers are "hardcore," not games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34962 Posts

Some shmups. Survival games.

@madsnakehhh said:

For me, it's Darkest Dungeon ... the gameplay and the art style looks great, but every single review or youtuber i see, they always go like ... "this game is so punishing, you need to perfectly play every dungeon because a single mistake, and your entire party is forever gone" ... and i'm always like, yeah i don't need this kind of strees right now...

Game looks great though.

I've played it for about 15 hours, and I was surprised about the difficulty. I think only 3 of my characters have died, and I've never failed a run. There's also a steady stream of new dudes to hire for your party, so losing a character hasn't been much of a problem either. Just go on easy quests with your new dudes so they level up.

Might get way harder later in the game though, I don't know.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23742 Posts

Uncharted, particularly those platforming sections.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11524 Posts

Really depends.

I have no interest in fighting games, most racing sims (apart from Rally sims), and some competitive games like MOBA's and Counterstrike.

However, I wont flinch at complex strategy games, hardcore milsim/tactical shooters, or difficult action games like From Software's output. Or something like MS Flight Simulator.

Really, comes down to whether i'm interested in what the game is doing and willing to put in the time and effort to learn its systems.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9478 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Uncharted, particularly those platforming sections.

Yeah I couldn't play a game with such cinematic qualities. That's just too much, man.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Souls and souls-like games. Too much of a slow burn. Same for milsims; the kind where you're practically required to be on mic and obey someone else to do anything.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58848 Posts

@Sushiglutton: yeah Kingdom Come is definitely a bit hardcore. It's more of a medieval sim than a legit first-person game. There are some critical mods out there you need to really make it accessible, specifically for saving your game and lockpicking.

As for me, I'd say DCS World. I play it a lot, and I get better each time, but damn it is so hardcore. Literally learning how to fly an aircraft. I mean real pilots undergo hundreds of hours (thousands, even) of training before their first mission and here I am flying over AAA and SAMs trying to bomb a target thinking "WTF did I get myself into?" Still fun, though.

"Hardcore" games I don't play are the soulsborne variety and a lot of roguelikes. The whole fight, die, repeat mechanic is not for me. I tend to rage quit lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Crusader Kings 3, made me feel like my nerd level wasn't quite enough.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sushiglutton

@mrbojangles25 said:

@Sushiglutton: yeah Kingdom Come is definitely a bit hardcore. It's more of a medieval sim than a legit first-person game. There are some critical mods out there you need to really make it accessible, specifically for saving your game and lockpicking.

As for me, I'd say DCS World. I play it a lot, and I get better each time, but damn it is so hardcore. Literally learning how to fly an aircraft. I mean real pilots undergo hundreds of hours (thousands, even) of training before their first mission and here I am flying over AAA and SAMs trying to bomb a target thinking "WTF did I get myself into?" Still fun, though.

"Hardcore" games I don't play are the soulsborne variety and a lot of roguelikes. The whole fight, die, repeat mechanic is not for me. I tend to rage quit lol.

The look picking broke me 😆... When I finally, finally managed to open a ”very easy” chest a guard strolled by and arrested me...

Mods are only on PC I suppse. That’s another reason I quit. I thought the game would be a bit more tolerable on PC in general.

Agree about the soulsborne games also. I don’t need to be destroyed like that in my free time. My self confidence is already terrible as it is 😂.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58848 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Sushiglutton: ...

Agree about the soulsborne games also. I don’t need to be destroyed like that in my free time. My self confidence is already terrible as it is 😂.

Haha yeah, right there with you.

There's a reason why my most-played games are things like city builders and micromanagement games. Games where you can't really lose, you just chill out and create. Usually with an unlimited money option on :P

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sushiglutton

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

@Sushiglutton: ...

Haha yeah, right there with you.

There's a reason why my most-played games are things like city builders and micromanagement games. Games where you can't really lose, you just chill out and create. Usually with an unlimited money option on :P

I can see that being a good and soothing genre! Sometimes it’s nice when games jus”flows”.

Ubisoft games are good at rewarding you for not really doing much lol. I like that sometimes!

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18316 Posts

@Litchie said:

Some shmups. Survival games.

@madsnakehhh said:

Game looks great though.

I've played it for about 15 hours, and I was surprised about the difficulty. I think only 3 of my characters have died, and I've never failed a run. There's also a steady stream of new dudes to hire for your party, so losing a character hasn't been much of a problem either. Just go on easy quests with your new dudes so they level up.

Might get way harder later in the game though, I don't know.

That's very interesting to hear ... i think there are several difficulties options right ??? i bet some of those streamers play in the hardest one, still i'm going to check out a bit more because again, looks like a cool game.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Probably the hardcore sims like DCS A-10C. I feel like I'd need to put my life on hold just to learn a game like that.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1329 Posts

Racing Sims. Anything more simmy then Forza Horizon 4 is a pass for me.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

It's why Breath of the the Wild sucks balls

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Mario/Nintendo titles in general.

Im not hardcore enough to sit through a Mario game with all those cutesy characters and colourful worlds, makes me wanna puke.

There's car sickness, boat sickness, plane sickness, VR sickness etc, i have Nintendo sickness lol.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20310 Posts

Nothing's too hard core for me. I'll try any kind of game and will keep playing it if it's good.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Most realistic sims are not my cup of tea. There are some here and there like Tarkov and Arma, but olden games like the Novalogic sims are too hardcore as every button has an input. Tho I may have played them wrong as most of these sims(like commanche) may have probably needed a good flight stick.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#31 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2638 Posts

Any MMORPG i don't have the patience with them anymore.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44835 Posts

Lots of games are too hard to play because they are so boring and can't keep my attention.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@adsparky said:

Any MMORPG i don't have the patience with them anymore.

I don't hate them but yeah.

At topic. Most games. Cazul to the bone.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14865 Posts

Deus Ex, Doom, Far Cry 2, Hitman, Mafia, Metal Gear Solid, Metro, Resident Evil VII. Too hardcore for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59742 Posts

Not very good at anime fighters.
Can't follow what is going on. Prefer Street Fighters KOF etc...

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@SOedipus: And STALKER.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Stealth games that have you sneakin' for an hour and forty-five damn minutes and you get discovered and all shit breaks loose, you die and have to do that all over again.

Fighting games that have you input up, left, down, diagonal down, a + b, down, down, up, up just to move forward.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

RTS, tried a few out back in the early 2000s and hated that genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

damn im trying to think lol...but im pretty hardcore so maybe disgaea 1 the game kinda went over my head even playing for like 30 hours i didn't know all the stuff in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-611a8cd6e3c93
Member since 2013 • 421 Posts

"Bullet hell" genre. Couldn't even tell where my vehicle/character is located on the screen half the time...XD

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9728 Posts

I'm not a fan of most RTS and Moba games (although I like the idea of both.. it's the execution of most games in those genres I don't like), but I think hardcore is a better description of the person playing any given game and not the game itself. You get the most out of games you put the most into... it's that simple.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I only like to play casually, so plenty of games are too 'hardcore' for me

• Souls games
  • Bloodborne
  • Sekiro
  • Divinity Original Sin 2
  • MOBA games like LoL, Dota 2 etc
Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11345 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

Breath of the Wild is great though. That just has more typical RPG elements, and nothing hardcore. Some clothing changes in certain environments, experimental cooking, campfire building. It's really not that far removed from RDR2 in that respect. Really entry-level stuff.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2096 Posts

Hexen. The map design is incredibly complicated for its time. Good game regardless though.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23742 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@jcrame10 said:

Breath of the Wild is great though. That just has more typical RPG elements, and nothing hardcore. Some clothing changes in certain environments, experimental cooking, campfire building. It's really not that far removed from RDR2 in that respect. Really entry-level stuff.

Yeah, BotW isn't really the same as the survival game mechanics he's cosigning on. The consumables are tantamount to healing potions and buffs.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34962 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

That comment makes no sense. Have you even played it?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Amnesia, to scary

stuff like dark souls and monster hunter or raids in wow.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23278 Posts

@Telekill: not trying to change your mind on souls games because I get it, but they are some of the best gaming experiences in the hobby.

I can't say I've played many games where the gameplay, art, story and presentation come together as well as they do in bloodborne or dark souls.

They are masterpieces if you're willing to push yourself a bit!