Games come out faster than I can play them

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Honestly, I wish they take a break for a year so I am able to catch up with the releases. As person who joined the working force recently, With a job now it became harder for me to keep up with games. My backlog is increasing in tremendous rate and all I do after I get back from work is play games.

Maybe I am slower than the rest. Maybe because I play EVERYTHING of every genre, from platformers to RPG, from racers to shooters, from big budget games to indies. And maybe because sometimes I waste my time hunting those trophies. Nevertheless, I still think games coming in large quantities, especially now. And it been a great year so far with amazing games like Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Metal Gear.

And these aren't some 5-10 hours games like The Order, these are 100+ hour games. Games with marvelous designed worlds, wonderful stories.

Which makes me wonder, how can people say console Y doesn't have games? There are freaking games everywhere. Even if you have a Wii U, you should probably be satisfied with the games you are getting. They are great quality and they are fun which should occupy you until the next Nintendo game.

This probably understandable for PC gamers who own a console for a specific game, but by that they don't have the right to complain.

What do you think? Are you like me, with a never ending ever increasing backlog? Or is your console collecting dust because there is "no games"?

Apologizes if I am all over the place.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I have pretty much every system, so I feel your pain. I just started Tales of Zestira and Fallout 4 comes out tommorow for my pc :(.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k--m--k

@n64dd: haha yeah, that's probably another reason why I have a backlog, Pokemon alone took 500 hours off my life. And I want to buy the Tales game, but afraid it will consume all my time since JRPG are lengthy games.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

We had a break from 2012 to the end of 2014, i don't want 2014 breaks anyone, that was painful.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

I miss those days where I literally had all the time in the world to play my games, too bad that was when the next gen consoles just released and I was stuck with rubbish like Ryse, Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Dead rising 3 etc the only good game was Assassin's Creed 4... Compare that to The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, MGS5, Nathan Drake's collection, Starcraft legacy of the void etc...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

And the biggest problem is, all of them need like a hundred hours to finish now lol.

I still need to complete The Witcher 3 (though I am almost done with the main quest on this), Arkham Knight (don't really care for this, so I don't know how long it would take), Tales of Zestiria (it's a JRPG, which means I am screwed), Dark Souls II (I sort of got bored, I'll return to it when I'm not suffering from Soulsborne fatigue), and then Fallout 4 comes out tomorrow.

It's a mess.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Can't pay for the games without a job.

Can't have time for the games when working.

When you're not living with your parents who buy all your stuff, this is the gamers crushing Catch 22.

And like Char, I'm also playing catch up with Witcher 3, having piled up so many quests in my game log (at Level 21 now) and wondering when the hell I'll be able to begin Fallout 4, plus all the other PC games I now have access to, such as Pillars of Eternity and Divinity OS.

SERENITY NOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

When you're not living with your parents who buy all your stuff, this is the gamers crushing Catch 22.

The solution is simple. Don't sleep.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Before 2016 I want to try and finish Witcher 3, Human Resource Machine, Read Only Memories and start Battlefront, Fallout 4, start and finish Bloodborne, DMC Devil May Cry.
There are games like Woolly World that I really want to play too, but this stuff isn't even considered my backlog right. There are games like Divinity OS and Pillars of Eternity that I haven't actually played much of or at all. but I know I would really like them. It is a bit much (which is fantastic). And if I keep playing Vermintide.... that list is not going to get shorter.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@AdobeArtist said:

And like Char, I'm also playing catch up with Witcher 3, having piled up so many quests in my game log (at Level 21 now) and wondering when the hell I'll be able to begin Fallout 4, plus all the other PC games I now have access to, such as Pillars of Eternity and Divinity OS.

SERENITY NOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

The solution is simple. Don't sleep.

But... but... the daily grind makes me so tired... I try, I try not to.... zzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#11 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Calm down and pick them up at your own pace..

Fallout 4 isn't gonna run away.

mohit9206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mohit9206
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

I don't have that problem. I have a clear idea of which games I'm interested in playing and its usually not more than 20-30 games a year. I do not let myself get affected by hype. So for this reason i don't find myself buying games at launch never to even open them only to find them years later covered in dust and still shrink wrapped. If i buy a game then you can be sure I'll be playing it almost immediately. For this reason i have very minimal backlog. And i don't buy games on launch day ever and never at full price either. I have about 5 games in my backlog and will be finishing them by the end of this year before i buy anymore games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17801 Posts

My backlog is huge. Having access to all games with PC and the consoles can certainly be overwhelming at times, but it is not necessarily a bad thing. One of the benefits of having a good backlog is that you can counter buggy releases (brutal trend) and keep occupied while waiting for patches. I have no intention of playing Fallout 4 on release as I know it will have many bugs like all Bethesda games. I have plenty of games to keep me busy.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I feel your pain TC, 40 work weeks with no set hours BLOWS!! (one day I'll work 1-10, the next 8-5 and the day after 10-7). Luckily the GF plays on her 3DS while I game so that's a plus side for me cause we basically do our game time at the same time we do our time.

Honestly I miss 20-30 hours games cause seriously screw these 40-100+ hour games, I got shyts to do lol.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I fantasise about saving up enough cash to just not work for a year and do nothing but "clear the backlog" :P

Doubt it'll ever happen but hell, it's all about having hope!

A good thing to do mentally, is rather than saying "what games can I miss out on?", start saying "what games can I NOT miss out on?"

Also, reducing entire to genres to one "best" franchise helps a lot. With Forza, Pro Evolution Soccer and Street Fighter, I don't need any other racing, sports, or fighting games.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

im singed off work until November 27th recovering from surgery, a total of 6 weeks off since 16th October.

Managed to play many hours of Shadow of Mordor, SOMA, Cities Skylines, FIFA, Replayed Fallout 3. The Talos Principle

best part is I'll be able to play Fallout 4 for hours :D

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

I can only play maybe one or two AAA games a year to completion (this year I've only clocked Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and put a lot of time into Destiny). I've put several hours into Halo 5 and Witcher 3 this month.

Truth is once you start working/growing up, games become an absolute chore to play, and you have to sit down and devote time to playing them. It's so much easier to pour yourself a whisky, smoke cigars/shisha, and scroll Facebook on your phone.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I always buy a handful of games each year so this isn't a problem when it comes to buying new released games.

B_rich84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 B_rich84
Member since 2013 • 367 Posts

I finally buckled down and got serious with The Witcher 3. Do yourself a favor and finish that game! It's seriously one of the best games ever made. Fallout can wait! Give it time and it'll be better in a couple months anyway with mods!

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I have a Wii U and I have the same problem topic creator. I agree with the sentiments about needing to work to buy games, and being too tired or not having time to play games. One of the reasons I like Nintendo games is that they are easy to pick up and play for short durations, but can be played for longer durations when you have time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Yeah, no kidding. Even with my very limited interest in games anymore I'm still buried by 'new' visual novels, random RPGs, and the occasional Nintendo game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Welcome to life. Be pickier and enjoy them more rather than try to be a reviewer and play everything and enjoy nothing.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

well my problem is that they are coming but I don't want to play them. haha

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Tell me about it. I've been playing and playing through my backlog, don't feel like it is getting any smaller. I'm to the point that I just want to quit playing games because it feels like I'm doing homework instead of enjoying them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

And the biggest problem is, all of them need like a hundred hours to finish now lol.

I still need to complete The Witcher 3 (though I am almost done with the main quest on this), Arkham Knight (don't really care for this, so I don't know how long it would take), Tales of Zestiria (it's a JRPG, which means I am screwed), Dark Souls II (I sort of got bored, I'll return to it when I'm not suffering from Soulsborne fatigue), and then Fallout 4 comes out tomorrow.

It's a mess.

Yup, that's why I can skip games like Mad Mac, MGS V and wait for price drops or slow times of the year to play them. I hate buying games and then waiting a month to play them. That's my quandary with the new Tomb Raider when I have Fall Out 4 coming.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Hence the term "endless backlog."

Welcome to the club.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'm still playing games from 2-3 years ago. Working 40 hrs a week and being engaged is very time consuming. I believe it's a reason why multiplayer games are so huge. Its easy to kill a hour here or there playing multi, plus it's a social experience. I'm about to begin Tell Tales TWD for the first time. It will probably tale me a month to get through. No telling when I'll get to FO4.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

yeah, trophy/achievement hunting really slows me down, i'm not like 1000/1000 committed but I'll for the ones I can get with a modest amount of effort

but yeah, agree, still too much coming out for me to keep up with, and to think people complain that there isn't enough good games **pfft**

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

That's not a bad thing!

I've had Fallout 3 on the list of games to get for an eternity. I'm about to go fight the Enderdragon in Minecraft, and once I'm done that I'll jump in. I just bought the GOTY version for less than $10. Saved plenty of money. And I'm not bothered one bit I didn't get to play it when it launched

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Most games are still 5-20ish hrs and most don't bother with completing extras since usually its a monotonous grind. The only legit 100hr games you'll find nowadays are MMOs where it takes 5-6 months to acquire a full set of gear which will become obsolete as soon as you get it. Furthermore, not finding time is 100% BS especially when someone is going to use Tomb Raider, an 8hr game as an example.

Everyone is not a banker and unless you live in NY, you have roughly 6-7 hrs of me time every business week + 48hr weekends. Bulllll shit you guys are just growing out of video games and rather spend your time doing something else hopefully that something else more productive or not:

• Instead of gaming u go to pub
  • Instead of gaming party
  • instead of gaming watch kids
  • instead of gaming go idk study for a certification
  • instead of gaming finish report for work due 1 week from now
  • instead of gaming u go on a date
  • instead of gaming you go to the gym
  • instead of gaming xyz

You all choose to not game and saying not enough time is horseshit and just an excuse. When preparing for the GMAT or exam you don't tell the testing site or professor you didn't have time to study. You just do it. Also the guy who claims it'll take 1 month to beat TWD LOL each episode is literally 1-2hrs long ludicrous so it'll take you 1 month so you can't find 5-10 hrs out of the 730hrs to complete TWD.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#33 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

I hear you. The backlog is real... and growing.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@k--m--k said:

What do you think? Are you like me, with a never ending ever increasing backlog?

Yes, that's why I don't understand the rampant fanboyism on System Wars. There's more than enough good games to play on each and every system, yet we constantly get assaulted with nonsense.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm not a hardcore gamer so I just stick to certain AAA(usually) titles I'm interested in as well as some online multiplayer games I play with my friends. I don't have that much time to play video games anyway due to university responsibilities.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@k--m--k: welcome to adulthood. I got some hell here for Not playing things like resogun or helldivers because at my age game time is limited. I bought new hardware to play games that attempt to represent using it. I had to start letting games go by or buy them years later for cheap on steam and hope ill get to them eventually. Can't JUST play games. Human contact is needed.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@charizard1605: l am a major, comic nerd dating back almost 40 years like @SolidTy so arkham games are joy to me personally. But I hear ya. It's the curse of growing up. In the army we had one 4 day weekend per month to compensate for 18 to 20 hour days and I got to game. As a student, with my other responsibilities it's tough. I'm glad I am not a jrpg fan because those are long games. Good luck with that.

I still need to finish MGS 5, and TR is coming today.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Welcome to my life TC. My time and money has to go elsewhere instead of gaming also. So unless I consider it a must have I dont purchase as much anymore and honestly I probably miss out on alot. After Battlefront I don't think I am getting another game at launch until Deus Ex. Easier times when we were younger and didn't have so many more responsibilities for sure. It is not all bad though since it gives me time to catch up on my backlog which is pretty massive

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

This is one of the reasons I don't own all the consoles... I just wouldn't have the time to finish all the games.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Yeah it's tough to play everything with a full time job while also trying to have something of a social life and other hobbies.

I only have 1 console, and I still can't find the time.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#41  Edited By doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

I know your feeling brothers, hehe man so many open world games, I can't take anymore (I'm a completionist by nature so I can't watch an icon and don't try to clear it) man I was kind of excited that Halo 5 has a more directed experience so I could finish it.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

people complain that there are no games...I have all consoles and they all have great games but a massive backlog

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#43 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

backlogging is another reason i started to drift away from pc gaming. I was buying games just for the sake of having them and never playing them.

you will never play your entire backlog not as long as newer better games keep coming out. Best thing to do is pick games you like play them and move on. Dont try to play everything even if you want to. The only way to really do this is if gaming is your job.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Same situations here man. My SO needs slot of attention to SO for the moment I can only like game for 4 hours a week. So ATM I'm playing Fallout 4, which is a pain in the ass to make progress in a couple hours. I try also to play COD BO3, only playing zombies.

At the end Yeah alot of games are coming out. Like every year.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It can sometimes be hard to enjoy games when you always feel you gotta hurry because you got other games waiting and you need catch up and clean up that backlog.

Many games is to long these days. Halo5 was perfect, done in 1-2 days/7-9hrs.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

@k--m--k: this may sound stupid but I try to stick to a schedule. I dont waste my time anymore on mindless casual garbage like I used to. I used to spend hundreds of mindless hours on COD wasting away all my time on that crap. Now I just play a great story driven game like mgs for a month, then maybe uncharted, then fallout....

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 k--m--k

@harrygooch: mhm, I understand what you mean, that why I stopped playing call of duty online too (still buy it to play single player mode), league of legend, and warcraft. linear games are my favorite because take 10-15 hours to finish.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I can't keep up with playing every game out there these days either. I just have to pick very carefully what i know i'll like. At least some games i do get, i only play for an hr or two before i realize they are crap and can just move onto something else.

All these games also give me little reason to ever get a console since i have enough on PC to last me for years, even if they completely stopped making them.... I have no extra time any more to be playing mediocre exclusive games on the consoles any more.

The worst is if you get into a multiplayer game, they really suck up time that could have been spent to finish off single player games.