Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

We're done for :(

SITUATION UPDATE: IMMEDIATE THREAT

I'm back from the meet with Zoe's friend and there's some insanity coming. What I'm about to tell you sounds so farfetched....here goes. Zoe Quinn is going forward staging a fake attack on herself tomorrow. All through the night she will be contacting media and journalists telling them how a 'group of white male gamers' assaulted her.

A youtuber gamer name will be dropped as will two or more twitter posters that she will 'overhear being spoken about' during her attack. My source tells me these people were picked because they're transparent in their real names and as gamers in their profiles.

Now for the unbelievable part. Zoe will return to Pax monday with fx bruises and damage, taking the stage with Anita Sarkeesian along with journalists from gaming sites like Kotaku and Gamasutra, but also news sites like the Washington Post and SJW/feminists they've flown in that are well known.

Together they will denounce the term 'gamer' because it refers to a violent, misogynistic, white male demographic and replace the term with one of that only Anita and Zoe know of and have personally created. The term will have a dual feminine meaning but have an extra letter at the end that distinguishes it. Zoe will speak about the horrors of her attack by the hands of 'gamers' so the term will be vilified by the world press much like if you called someone a sexual predator.

I can't even begin to fathom something like this happening but if true will destroy gaming for the male population forever. I'll report back with any new information.

Wait what? This seems beyond farfetched but I believe it. They have been staging fake attacks on themselves for a while now. If this is true then It is beyond sick in the head. It goes beyond Fox News riding a fake slight into a fortune.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@Revan_911 said:

I'm back from the meet with Zoe's friend and there's some insanity coming. What I'm about to tell you sounds so farfetched....here goes. Zoe Quinn is going forward staging a fake attack on herself tomorrow. All through the night she will be contacting media and journalists telling them how a 'group of white male gamers' assaulted her.

A youtuber gamer name will be dropped as will two or more twitter posters that she will 'overhear being spoken about' during her attack. My source tells me these people were picked because they're transparent in their real names and as gamers in their profiles.

Now for the unbelievable part. Zoe will return to Pax monday with fx bruises and damage, taking the stage with Anita Sarkeesian along with journalists from gaming sites like Kotaku and Gamasutra, but also news sites like the Washington Post and SJW/feminists they've flown in that are well known.

Together they will denounce the term 'gamer' because it refers to a violent, misogynistic, white male demographic and replace the term with one of that only Anita and Zoe know of and have personally created. The term will have a dual feminine meaning but have an extra letter at the end that distinguishes it. Zoe will speak about the horrors of her attack by the hands of 'gamers' so the term will be vilified by the world press much like if you called someone a sexual predator.

I can't even begin to fathom something like this happening but if true will destroy gaming for the male population forever. I'll report back with any new information.

Wait what? This seems beyond farfetched but I believe it. They have been staging fake attacks on themselves for a while now. If this is true then It is beyond sick in the head. It goes beyond Fox News riding a fake slight into a fortune.

Screencapping. If this prediction fails to come true, this is going to imgur for posterity.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#53  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

Hahaha. That wouldn't destroy gaming at all. But it would be funny.

Maybe we should fire some shots back. Gaming journalism has let us down considerably lately. Youtube reviewers are on the rise, and user scores are becoming more useful than critic reviews. How come nobody mentioned a lack of a server browser on Titanfall? Because they're not very good at doing their job. Seems like they're serving someone else's interests.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@KungfuKitten: Its funny because the title of gamer is actually one of the most neutral titles that you could hope for. It applies to all races, genders, sexual orientations, gang affiliations etc. If they tried to do an attack on the name of gamer it would be an attempt to shatter one of the most all encompassing titles today.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 Revan_911
Member since 2007 • 1709 Posts

I don't really think that the attack will take place but I posted in just in case. I would't put it beyond them , we have seen 10 organized articles about the death of the "gamer" written in days so just to be safe and to have evidence somewhere

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#56  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@KungfuKitten: Its funny because the title of gamer is actually one of the most neutral titles that you could hope for. It applies to all races, genders, sexual orientations, gang affiliations etc. If they tried to do an attack on the name of gamer it would be an attempt to shatter one of the most all encompassing titles today.

It's impossible to shatter, though. I don't know anybody afraid to call themselves a gamer. I haven't even heard of a reason that we should be. They can make illogical claims all day every day it won't change a thing. The majority of people in this world play games of some sort? It's like saying people who watch TV are filthy misogynists. They're just making themselves look like the idiots they are.

Even if they would have some kind of impact we could rectify that in a day. It's really nothing to worry about.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

it sucks that those harassing rage trolls is what represents me as a gamer.

as far as the journalism goes- have these websites / journalists that have some kind of relationship with devs not know to recuse themselves based of conflict of interest? if they did, then problem solved. every E.I.C. should fix it by just saying that and implementing it. and its not like most of us in the forums listen or pay attention to scores anyway.

as far as feminist sarkeesian goes- i cannot believe that i am lumped in with these idiots as "gamers" sarkeesian brings up SOME valid points but we all know she clearly has an agenda and is throwing blanket statements or is fault finding. why is there violence and objectifying women in historical settings....WELL BECAUSE IT HAPPENED! but with that being said, she still deserves basic human rights. phil fish...same freaking thing....the punishment didnt fit the crime.

gamers really have to do their part to be better as a community and stop being idiots. but then again....there are a lot of 10 year olds that game....*sigh* im too old for this

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#58  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@Revan_911 said:

The only thing that goes beyond Fox News level is Gamespot's userbase's ability to create fake insider reports, and the other users' ability to believe those fake insider reports.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Gamers: We don't need game journalists who have never practiced actual journalism a day in their life, who have no standards or morals concerning the craft they mimic.

Journalists: Well we don't need gamers.

The're fighting back the only way they know how, through spreading bullshit.

Just look at how many of these jerkoffs are pissed about Patreon support getting frowned on, they're even mad at Stephen Totilo @ Kotaku for admitting it's a problem.

They're on the ropes. The media is nothing without an audience.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Revan_911

@jsmoke03 said:

as far as the journalism goes- have these websites / journalists that have some kind of relationship with devs not know to recuse themselves based of conflict of interest? if they did, then problem solved. every E.I.C. should fix it by just saying that and implementing it. and its not like most of us in the forums listen or pay attention to scores anyway.

as far as feminist sarkeesian goes- i cannot believe that i am lumped in with these idiots as "gamers" sarkeesian brings up SOME valid points but we all know she clearly has an agenda and is throwing blanket statements or is fault finding. why is there violence and objectifying women in historical settings....WELL BECAUSE IT HAPPENED! but with that being said, she still deserves basic human rights. phil fish...same freaking thing....the punishment didnt fit the crime.

gamers really have to do their part to be better as a community and stop being idiots. but then again....there are a lot of 10 year olds that game....*sigh* im too old for this

Why are you high-horse Anita supporters always aggressive assholes and demeaning and disrespectful towards others? You aren't doing anything useful or good. It doesn't give you any grounds to act morally superior or think others beneath. You're lumping hundreds of millions of people as idiots beneath you because someone sent anita mean tweets? (which she never reported to the police and suspiciously set up a donation account before that and every journalists reported that she was driven out of the house by misogynists gamers ). That's terrible. How do you have the moral high ground in this situation?

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 Xisiuizado
Member since 2014 • 592 Posts

@Revan_911:
You should read a proper response to the situation that was posted on the Kotaku link in your post. Here's the permalink:
http://kotaku.com/im-so-so-so-confused-as-to-the-seeming-ignorance-of-t-1628275437

It has the answers you seek. In the end, no, your industry nor you are directly affected by these writers. The problem is bubbles! People get deep into something, such as reading about the gaming industry on a daily basis, and forget that very few, I'd hazard a guess of less than one percent and possibly far fewer, gamers read these sites or have even heard/watched/read whatever is in the gaming news bubble.

It's the same reason why people in Romney's political camp were stunned that he lost. They failed to look beyond their bubble and couldn't see that their platform for the last presidential election was a losing one. It's similar to the current social landscape in games journalism. You're reading and processing a lot of hatred that you feel is directly aimed towards you and others who enjoy just playing video games. Since most (all?) gaming news sites are bandwagoning on hating the "typical" gamer, you are not seeing rebuttals and proper discourse. Trust me when I tell you that it'll be fine and that there are people on your side. There are only a few attacking "typical" gamers, it isn't the majority regardless of how the gaming media is attempting to portray the situation.

(Note: I put typical in quotes since I do not believe their point of view on gamers. In one sentence, they'll write that half of gamers are women, then follow that by stating that typical gamers are straight, white males. This is just one of the many inconsistencies and contradictions that would completely destroy their argument(s) if anyone bothered to refute their claims.)

(Note 2: I do believe that women and men are split 50/50 in gaming AND I believe that covers a broad spectrum of genres. Women DO NOT just play Candy Crush and they are certainly capable of learning the mathematics and science necessary to become software engineers. I also believe that most people who play games, as well as the general population, think similarly along these lines. If the people with this agenda would quit attacking and start debating then you'd get to see a far more neutral landscape that would better represent the opinions of gamers on social issues. However, since so many people attack without ensuring that they fully comprehended what they read, much like my post in response to PC gaming yesterday on System Wars, people have given up debating with people who accuse others of being apologists for all kinds of terrible things when all they want to do is legitimately discuss social issues in gaming.)

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Xisiuizado
Member since 2014 • 592 Posts

@clyde46 said:

My real fear is that the term "rape" has lost all meaning thanks to these idiots. Men and women who have been raped will soon be unable to speak out about what happened for fear of society's backlash.

That is an excellent point. When people water down terms that should be reserved for serious issues, they are hurting victims of terrible crimes.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ReadingRainbow4

MGS 2 was truly a message from the future.

Loading Video...

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Gamers: We don't need game journalists who have never practiced actual journalism a day in their life, who have no standards or morals concerning the craft they mimic.

Just look at how many of these jerkoffs are pissed about Patreon support getting frowned on, they're even mad at Stephen Totilo @ Kotaku for admitting it's a problem.

Thing is though, people keep feeding them.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

That's why information must keep spreading, the truth has to be heard. The moment they vilify gaming culture to the point of no return, to the mere ramblings of a mad man, we have already lost.

Nobody wants to be the crazy man yelling at a cloud.

It has to be made clear these people are in the wrong. It's inevitable an offset of the progress made will go to funding these organizations through sheer ignorance unfortunately.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Oh God... Is Patrick gonna take the stage with her and Anita?

I know he said he had a panel planned that focused on the "internet". Fair to assume it's this, considering he did something similar earlier this year.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clyde46

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

That's why information must keep spreading, the truth has to be heard. The moment they vilify gaming culture to the point of no return, to the mere ramblings of a mad man, we have already lost.

It has to be made clear these people are in the wrong. It's inevitable an offset of the progress made will go to funding these organizations through sheer ignorance.

It will get to a point where people will stop going to those sites. People are getting tired of having this NeoNazi Feminist BS shoved in their faces all the time. I'm not talking about those SJW or the ones that follow them around just to fight and argue with them. I'm talking about the average Joe. The average Joe who just wants to see what the latest news for UC4 is etc.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 ReadingRainbow4

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It has to be made clear these people are in the wrong. It's inevitable an offset of the progress made will go to funding these organizations through sheer ignorance.

It will get to a point where people will stop going to those sites. People are getting tired of having this NeoNazi Feminist BS shoved in their faces all the time. I'm not talking about those SJW or the ones that follow them around just to fight and argue with them. I'm talking about the average Joe. The average Joe who just wants to see what the latest news for UC4 is etc.

The worst thing that could happen is if people just stop caring, that would let this bullshit run free without them having to answer for any of it. Luckily it looks like that isn't happening, gamersgate is trending with celebrities now which is definitely encouraging. This isn't dying down, if anything it's reaching a boiling point.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I was reading that Gamsutra Article about "Gamers are over" and the article generalizes the majority of Gamer Folk are Basement Dwelling Neck Beards. Like REALLY?

gaming journalism is a sad joke. Don't remember the last time I even visited the 'main' gamespot site

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By clyde46

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The worst thing that could happen is if people just stop caring, that would let this bullshit run free without them having to answer for any of it. Luckily it looks like that isn't happening, gamersgate is trending with celebrities now which is definitely encouraging. This isn't dying down, if anything it's reaching a boiling point.

I just find it funny that the person who knocked over this badly stacked house of cards was supposed to be a feminist. Too bad she got caught slutting it around.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I just find it funny that the person who knocked over this badly stacked house of cards was supposed to be a feminist. Too bad she got caught slutting it around.

It really is beautifully ironic.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

almost everything about SJWs is ironic

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 clyde46

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Now they all band together as the sharks circle.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ReadingRainbow4

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

They're pretty fucked then because it seems like every one of them is on their period.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 clyde46

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@clyde46 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

They're pretty fucked then because it seems like every one of them is on their period.

The last people you want to piss off is the gamer demographic. The one that has the most time on his hands.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts
Loading Video...

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#77  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@Gue1: You should get rid of that picture. You'll probably get moderated for it.

too late, already happened.

But that was what started all this brigade of hate against gamers. Many believe it was Anita herself who wrote all those twits because she never reported it to the police. Instead, she went to the media to cry about how she was driven away from her home while continuing her instigation on twitter. It's obvious she wants this controversy and harassment to continue because it gains her more supporters and donations. She even got many journalists to write stuff like this in retaliation against the gamer, their own fucking audience.

I hope many people see this and realize how corrupt game journalism really is. They kept quiet about the whole thing but what they were really doing was waiting for the right moment to attack. All of them writing similar kind of arguments in more or less the same time frame like if they were coordinated.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#78 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Why are you high-horse Anita supporters always aggressive assholes and demeaning and disrespectful towards others? You aren't doing anything useful or good. It doesn't give you any grounds to act morally superior or think others beneath. You're lumping hundreds of millions of people as idiots beneath you because someone sent anita mean tweets? (which she never reported to the police and suspiciously set up a donation account before that and every journalists reported that she was driven out of the house by misogynists gamers ). That's terrible. How do you have the moral high ground in this situation?

lol what???

since when did i become a sakeesian supporter?

and i think you got it all wrong...look at the first line...

and what moral high ground am i taking? becaus i dont want gamers to be known for being these idiotic raging trolls?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#79 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

I don't see the problem other than using a vague term that is usually only used to defend a person's ego. I don't really care if the forum community dies off--I think the articles are talking about video game forum culture more than anything else--because there's nothing inherently valuable in arguing over financial reports that hide information, pixel and polygon counts, shallow arguments over what product is better, groupthink, and repetitively shouting the same words/opinion into the void of anonymity. The majority of forum critique is superficial with no real knowledge of how the development process works and no real knowledge gained from the discussion--I'm not excluding myself in this critique; I'm part of the complex, mostly out of habit at this point.

So if it's the death of gamers, then I'm okay with it. If an article wants to tell me a demographic that was pandered to in the past is gone, then I'm okay with it. It doesn't affect me. I'm still going to enjoy what I enjoy.

The part where residents of Mt. Pious who do argue for a good cause (you know for equality and to stop baseless generalizations) , then proceed to generalize an entire community based on assholes on the internet is definitely worthy of criticism. Nevermind, the straight up ignorance of it all, go to a political website, sports website, or any other medium and the posters are just as fucking stupid. It's not "gamers" in this case, and yes gamers are butthole cancer, but it's more the internet as a whole. People take the internet as a license to be an asshole, and fact is some of these people couldn't take it, and then proceeded to act like the people they are criticizing.

That's no bueno purely on this premise. If you believe in a cause, if you argue for a cause, then you must hold yourself to a higher standard, and take the higher road. In the case of someone like say Leigh Alexander (who's work I usually enjoy), she didn't. She got butthurt and wanted to make the internet butthurt.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@santoron said:

@lostrib said:

Summary?

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

I like your avatar. The little sprite dancing. I don't know what it's off. An indie game?

highschooler confirmed. Also I feel old.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

I was going to write a rant about this but then something dawned on me

Rather than doing this

We should just do this

Don't feed the trolls

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#82  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I was following this, it raised some interesting points. But now it's just over the top. I believe half the sites are just riding this for hits and many others are doing it to score brownie points.

I've had to unfollow some people on twitter just to avoid this constant drama crap.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@Revan_911 said:

Boogie tells it as it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVEDRh9UaxA

These "progressive indie SJW clickbait" sites are fucking done. Youtube and Twitch are taking over gaming media.

Gamespot went that way but I think lately they've improved.

Good video. And I agree about gamespot.

Gaming sites focus on games. Tumblr focusses on bullshit. Let's not mix the two.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By DocSanchez

This is like all the gearhead customers saying "I don't like Jaguar cars anymore. They are concentrating more on making sure the seats are 100% recycled material and not giving us the same quality of cars" and instead of addressing their concerns, they are actually attacking their own customers and trying to bring them down. How well do you think that would go?

Because that's what gamers are. The customers. The ones really driving this industry. The gaming press, it doesn't even need to exist. I started really gaming on the zx spectrum, and a lot of it was word of mouth. We had magazines, but they weren't read that much. And this was *before* the internet. With the advent of the internet we need the gaming press one million times less than they need us, because we are our own word of mouth, so this is political suicide for them. We gamers need to draw a line in the sand. Those sites with us, concentrating on games and treating us normals like the decent people we are, and the rest, and the rest can go moralise to an empty room about their moral superiority. The developers, who need our MONEY, will make sure we know about their games, you can be sure of that.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DocSanchez

@Desmonic: Google zoe quinn, look for videos by Internetaristocrat on youtube about it. Another in a long list of video games journalism clusterfucks which nobody ever wants to own up to. This time, site after site has been censoring people just for voicing concerns about it. GS has for once stayed out of it, and if the rest did, none of this would have got far at all, but instead they'd rather paint you, me and everyone else who plays games and doesn't want to confront social issues at the same time or agree with certain political viewpoints as sexist pigs.

Bunch of hypocrites, as they are leaping to the defence someone in the wrong and protecting her and then lying about the majority of people's motivations behind their concerns. As far as scandals goes, this is on a par with the Kane and Lynch incident as it's genesis is about how unbiased our gaming press is, but it went much further. And as usual, people decided to milk their offence for all it was worth.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PannicAtack

@Revan_911 said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Why are you high-horse Anita supporters always aggressive assholes and demeaning and disrespectful towards others?

Because what goes around comes around?

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#88 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@Revan_911 said:

The only thing that goes beyond Fox News level is Gamespot's userbase's ability to create fake insider reports, and the other users' ability to believe those fake insider reports.

This has been posted on several sites already and Zoe posted it on her own twitter.. she probably did it herself for attention since thats what she is after. This whole this is getting ridiculous, and whats sad is that non of the gaming sites/gaming journalists will acknowledge the issues. It's been going on for many years. Those that have been around here for a while will remember the Kayne and Lynch review that led to a reviewer being fired and several others quitting because he gave an honest review and the publisher threatened to pull advertising which gives GS revenue. A new review was then put up in it's place. This sort of thing isn't new.. and people like Zoe are trying to make the issue into something it's not. People aren't angry or trying to be sexist at all. No one cares what she did in her personal life. It's what she did in her professional life, sleeping with her boss, sleeping with journalists to get good publicity for her game. This is a lot more widespread than just her. If you look into things a little you can link other journalists to their friends and then find several articles they have written to help their friends get their games noticed.

Gamers rely on sites like this for honest opinions to decide what should be bought and what should be avoided. Once that integrity is lost then all you have is people telling you to buy their friends products, which is nothing more than all those annoying ads you see on various sites and youtube.. you know, the things you usually ignore. This sort of thing needs to change, people do need to stop the harassment, on both sides. Those doing it are way out of line.

It is interesting that all of a sudden all these articles have come out from various sites saying that "gamers are at an end". It's almost as if they spoke about it before hand or something.. nah.. couldn't be. It's not like they know each other or talk to each other often being in the same industry, going to the same conventions etc.. ;)

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 clyde46

@DocSanchez said:

@Desmonic: Google zoe quinn, look for videos by Internetaristocrat on youtube about it. Another in a long list of video games journalism clusterfucks which nobody ever wants to own up to. This time, site after site has been censoring people just for voicing concerns about it. GS has for once stayed out of it, and if the rest did, none of this would have got far at all, but instead they'd rather paint you, me and everyone else who plays games and doesn't want to confront social issues at the same time or agree with certain political viewpoints as sexist pigs.

Bunch of hypocrites, as they are leaping to the defence someone in the wrong and protecting her and then lying about the majority of people's motivations behind their concerns. As far as scandals goes, this is on a par with the Kane and Lynch incident as it's genesis is about how unbiased our gaming press is, but it went much further. And as usual, people decided to milk their offence for all it was worth.

Zoe got caught slutting it about.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 DocSanchez

@clyde46: That isn't the issue, and to most people wasn't ever the issue.

I don't care about someones relationships. She slept with a small football team, her ex boyfriend dodged a bullet. Take it to Jerry Springer. He's better off, she would be better off not committing to someone and just being casual, whatever. But there are serious questions about gaming journalism right now.

It was always about the lying, manipulation censorship and demonisation going on through certain websites to normal, everyday gamers. We've all been painted as misogynist evil trolls. We've all been roped in, because it appears obnoxious people are trying to define us by the worst in our community and fabricating things in order to do so.

I've been gaming for the best part of 30 years. 30 years. And I've never, ever cared about who was developing my games. I didn't give a crap. I couldn't tell you of the social makeup behind Baldurs Gate. I only knew about Richard Garriott and Ultima because he put himself in the games and that's the only reason I'd ever know. This notion that we are or have ever been bothered by female developers is such hogwash. We never paid attention to the developers before. If you make a great game I don't care if you're a martian. Who created RDR? Don't know. I'd buy them a drink if I met them, probably. More power to the women if and when they want to develop games, for women men or everyone. I don't have to play games I don't want to, and they don't have to please me but if they want to, fantastic.

I don't go into my personal life on here or my "demographics" but suffice to say, I could easily play the victim card if I wanted and play the same games others are. But the gaming community, all of you, are just fine by me. Great in fact. There are a few loudmouths just like when I stand in the terraces at my local club or go the gym or go to work but that's life and I'm big and mature enough not to care. Don't let people convince you that you are a bad person, and don't let the bastards grind you down. There are a few people trying to hijack our community, bullies trying to control the way we behave, they are a bad lot full of hypocrisy and don't deserve to win.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

The last week or so since the scandal about how slutty Zoey Quinn is, and Anita's latest ploy for attention and money (because getting a real job or helping women fight REAL oppression is too hard), has really made me appreciate the fact that Tom is not here anymore. Because if he was, you know damn well that smug self righteous pseudo intellectual fraud McShea would have taken full advantage of the opportunity to remind us of how evil and worthless we all are compared to an enlightened being like him. Haven't been to Giant Bomb in a long time now, but I'm sure Klepek has or will eventually do just that. (that guy has single handedly ruined that site for me)

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Revan_911

These are legitimately horrible human beings, you can't allow them to have effect on the industry

http://imgur.com/a/eODaf

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#94 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Minishdriveby said:

I don't see the problem other than using a vague term that is usually only used to defend a person's ego. I don't really care if the forum community dies off--I think the articles are talking about video game forum culture more than anything else--because there's nothing inherently valuable in arguing over financial reports that hide information, pixel and polygon counts, shallow arguments over what product is better, groupthink, and repetitively shouting the same words/opinion into the void of anonymity. The majority of forum critique is superficial with no real knowledge of how the development process works and no real knowledge gained from the discussion--I'm not excluding myself in this critique; I'm part of the complex, mostly out of habit at this point.

So if it's the death of gamers, then I'm okay with it. If an article wants to tell me a demographic that was pandered to in the past is gone, then I'm okay with it. It doesn't affect me. I'm still going to enjoy what I enjoy.

The part where residents of Mt. Pious who do argue for a good cause (you know for equality and to stop baseless generalizations) , then proceed to generalize an entire community based on assholes on the internet is definitely worthy of criticism. Nevermind, the straight up ignorance of it all, go to a political website, sports website, or any other medium and the posters are just as fucking stupid. It's not "gamers" in this case, and yes gamers are butthole cancer, but it's more the internet as a whole. People take the internet as a license to be an asshole, and fact is some of these people couldn't take it, and then proceeded to act like the people they are criticizing.

That's no bueno purely on this premise. If you believe in a cause, if you argue for a cause, then you must hold yourself to a higher standard, and take the higher road. In the case of someone like say Leigh Alexander (who's work I usually enjoy), she didn't. She got butthurt and wanted to make the internet butthurt.

Again I think the articles are targeting a certain sect of "gamer," and while the articles don't make it very clear and do over generalize, I think the message of the various articles is that if you're an asshole, then we don't want anything to do with you. I agree though, gaming forums are not the only place filled with terrible anonymous posters, the internet comments/forums/social media can as you eloquently put it (I don't mean that sarcastically Champ) turn into "buthole cancer."

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PannicAtack
@Revan_911 said:

These are legitimately horrible human beings, you can't allow them to have effect on the industry

Explain exactly what they're supposed harmful effect on the industry is or might be? So far I believe the only thing you've pointed to is some artwork for a Kickstarter game getting changed.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Revan_911

@PannicAtack said:
@Revan_911 said:

Explain exactly what they're supposed harmful effect on the industry is or might be? So far I believe the only thing you've pointed to is some artwork for a Kickstarter game getting changed.

Are you kidding? Except the fact that they ruined gaming journalism even more with ridiculous clickbait articles? Wanting censorship and wanting to stop freedom of expression. Hounding developers like David Jaffe, CD Projekt , Blizzard, organizing twitter raids and blacklisting against anyone that doesn't share their oppinions, calling for the fucking death of gamers? There are many examples

http://imgur.com/a/qt6Es

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By PannicAtack

@Revan_911 said:

@PannicAtack said:
@Revan_911 said:

Are you kidding? Except the fact that they ruined gaming journalism even more with ridiculous clickbait articles? Wanting censorship and wanting to stop freedom of expression. Hounding developers like David Jaffe, CD Projekt , Blizzard, organizing twitter raids and blacklisting against anyone that doesn't share their oppinions, calling for the fucking death of gamers? There are many examples

http://imgur.com/a/qt6Es

Yeah, you're going to have to give me tangible examples of how they've made video games worse through their involvement. Not cutting it.

Also, define "censorship." Because unless they're specifically petitioning the government to stamp shit out, then they aren't doing anything to threaten freedom of expression outside of DMCA takedowns on Youtube (which again, aren't an example of them making video games work).

Lastly, I'm sure I could find plenty of pictures of twitter and comments of death threats and harassment from their opponents, too. This isn't something that one side has some kind of moral high ground.

Revan_911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Revan_911
@Minishdriveby said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@Minishdriveby said:

Again I think the articles are targeting a certain sect of "gamer," and while the articles don't make it very clear and do over generalize, I think the message of the various articles is that if you're an asshole, then we don't want anything to do with you. I agree though, gaming forums are not the only place filled with terrible anonymous posters, the internet comments/forums/social media can as you eloquently put it (I don't mean that sarcastically Champ) turn into "buthole cancer."

What I've seen on twitter by Kotaku and social justive supporters is way more toxic and disgusting than anything I've seen on System Wars. Did you see the link and what they were doing to Jon Tron? #4wordstodescribe gamers? This was perpetuated by them .They're hypocrites. And they hate us

Roler42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Roler42
Member since 2013 • 1067 Posts

@PannicAtack: Many people fear activists like Anita or Zoe could end up creating a huge wave of censorship in gaming, I used to fear it too, but after thinking about it for a while... Neither Anita, nor Zoe have the power to truly ruin gaming and turn it into this draconian censored industry

And all these SJW/MRA? They are not different from the other slacktivists that think because you tweet about it, they are too incompetent to do any actual damage, and many think that throwing insults left and right is somehow going to upset "trolls" into quitting (just look how that worked out for Phil Fish)

I stand by something I said a while ago, we survived being blamed for school shootings, we survived the church trying to demonize us, we survived american congress countless times, we survived Jack Thompson, we will be fine, a bunch of angry journalists and SJW won't make any lasting damage to our gaming, the most they will do is get a bunch of profit out of sympathy kickstarters and patreons

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 PannicAtack

@roler42 said:

@PannicAtack: Many people fear activists like Anita or Zoe could end up creating a huge wave of censorship in gaming,

When I criticize you, it's just criticism.

When you criticize me, it's censorship.

Bioware changing the ending of Mass Effect 3 because of complaints? A-fucking-OK.

A game in development has a female character wear something other than a bikini due to complaints? ZOMG freedom of speech is under attack!