GamePro's Tekken 6 vs. Soul Calibur IV preview.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (5016 posts) -

Tekken 6 Vs. Soul Calibur IV

Namco picks a fight with its two new-gen fighters. We pick a winner!

Super Smash Brothers Brawl aint the only top-tier fighter in town. As we speak, Namco Bandai is putting the finishing touches on Soul Calibur IV and Tekken 6, long-awaited entries in two of the most celebrated fighting series in history. Soul Calibur IV will land on PS3 and 360, while Tekken 6 will land on PS3-only. We're dying to play both games. And if you're a fighting fan, you are too. But out of these two marvels, which one is worth getting excited about right now? We broke down the stats, compared the features, and picked a winner.

GRAPHICS -

Both Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur IV look sensational, and that's based on our real-time impressions, not early press stills. Tekken 6's graphics features around PS3's Cell CPU and RSX graphics chip, which offer enough horsepower to render colossal, highly detailed outdoor arenas, smashable walls and floors (complete with secret rooms), and eerily life-like fighter designs. But the first feature to catch your eye will be the over-the-top "hit sparks", which explode in a dazzling shower of explosions and Matrix-style distortion effects.

Soul Calibur IV has its own visual style that's best described as "painterly". But the highlights here are the high-dynamic range (HDR) lighting and real-time reflections, which make the fighters look like they're ready to jump off your TV screen and launch an assault on your living room. The 3D environments are also sharp, with bigger layouts and destructable hazards ala Tekken 6.

EDGE - Soul Calibur IV

As beautiful as Tekken 6 looks, there's just no arguing with Soul Calibur IV's stunning HDR lighting and and intricately detailed characters.

FIGHTER ROSTER -

This category has a clear-cut winner - Tekken 6 is expected to have some 40 playable fighters in the final version. The rostor will include virtually every character from past games, all of which will see new moves, combos, and improved animation. You can also look forward to four new-comers: Miguel, a hot-blooded Spaniard; Bob, a big-bellied bruiser with alarming agility; Zafina, a slinky female with spider-like attacks and fighting stances; and Leo, a young, somewhat androgynous girl with surprisingly powerful attacks. Though quality is more important than quanity, it looks like tekken 6 will sport a lot of each.

Soul Calibur, being a much newer series than Tekken, traditionally works with a leanr character roster and Soul Calibur IV should be no exception. So far, there's only one confirmed new character: Hilde, a female knight armed with a short sword and a spear, each of which have a dedicated attack button. As of now, only 13 characters have been confirmed.....though that number is sure to grow by leaps and bounds as the game creeps closer to completion. Though Soul Calkibur IV's fighters are deep and dynamic, it's hard to disagree with Tekken 6's "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to fighters.

EDGE - Tekken6

Tekken 6's roster isn't just for show: the characters all play with unique fighting styles and strategies. The four newcomers are also hugely divers and, in tyhe case of Bob, rather amusing.

ONLINE PLAY -

This is an especially brutal category to judge based on pre-release games, but there's one key fact to note: Tekken already has some experience in online play. By releasing Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online for PS3 in late 2007, the Tekken team will have gained valuable insight and experience in running an online fighter. What's more, Tekken 5's online mode was actually rather good, with well-designed game lobbies and tolerable lag-management. We know very little about Tekken 6's online play, except that the game was supposably optimized for online from the ground-up. But if Tekken 5's online is anything to judge by, Tekken 6 will be a serious online contender.

Soul Calibur IV's first ever online mode is also mysterious, but we do know several key details. For one, you can take custom-made fighters Create a Soul mode directly online, and you may be able to trade them with friends. The developers are also consideing online leaderboards, and even sharing match replays.

EDGE - Tekken 6

We're going with experience on this one: the lessons learned by Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online will greatly benefit Tekken 6....at least we hope so.

CUSTOMIZATION -

Character customizations has long been a hall-mark of the Soul Calibur series; outfitting new weapons and outfits have been in since the first game. Soul Calibur IV is also rumored to allow players to trade their custom-built characters online. Though details are very scarce here, we expect Soul Calibur IV will have a very deep create-a-character mode like Soul Calibur III....but hopefully with more than a few measly blank character templates.

Tekken is a bit newer to the cusomization game (custom outfits came in Tekken 4) but hasprove itself by offering hundreds of unlockable outfits and effects in Tekken 5. Tekken 6 will continue this trend, but add a new wrinkle in the form of custom "items" you can equip for each character. So far we've seen Bryan Fury fire a pump-action shotgun, Anna Williams kicks her high-heal shoes at a foe, and Craig Murduk smash his opponent with a huge club. We have no idea how these elements will translate into the final gameplay, but they're certainly bold choices.

EDGE - Soul Calibur IV

Both games will allow players to make many interesting variations of their favorite characters. But Tekken 6's wepaons sound a little goofy and out of place.

RELEASE DATE -

This is the tuffest category to judge. In theory, Soul Calibur IV will be the first game to launch. However, Tekken 6 is already further along in it's development process; it's arcade version, for instance, should be out in Japan by the time you read this. But it will take time to translate Tekken 6 to PS3, meaning that Soul Calibur IV is likely to hit the PS3 and Xbox360 before it. When, exaclty? Current specualtion points to a likely spring 2008 launch for Soul Calibur IV, but that date isn't set in stone. Popular wisdom suggests that Tekken 6 will see a late 2008 release on the PS3, but will Namco want to pit its two biggest games against each other in the same year?

EDGE - Soul Calibur IV

In a paradoxical twist, Tekken 6 is further along than SCIV, but will likely hit PS3 much later.Of course, this will give Team tekken more time to add extra polish.

FINAL DECISION -

We give the nod to Soul Calibur IV primarily because we know its actually coming out this year. Tekken 6 may be further along, but we're guessing that the PS3 version may not hit until late 2008 or even - gulp - 2009. What's the sense of getting worked into a lther over tekken 6 when it may be years off? Our advice to Tekken fans: focus on Soul Calibur IV for now.

EDGE - Soul Calibur IV

#2 Posted by GARRYTH (6870 posts) -
im so happy i get to play both games. tekken is my faverate fighter though. my friend's and i are big tekken fans and were all equal at it so when we have tekken night every mouth it is pure caos at my house.
#3 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -
What the hell? I thought Tekken 6 was out soon.
#6 Posted by mjarantilla (15721 posts) -
Boo, they put Tekken over Soul Calibur for character roster? Come on. SC has Jedi!
#7 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -
Boo, they put Tekken over Soul Calibur for character roster? Come on. SC has Jedi!mjarantilla

:lol: And a deranged 50 year-old Italian who uses the coolest weapons known to man (despite the games lack of cool weapon models): Katars!
#8 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (23293 posts) -
I always prefered Soul Calibur over Tekken. I just love the gameplay so much more.
#9 Posted by shaggyaz (2279 posts) -
I always prefered Soul Calibur over Tekken. I just love the gameplay so much more.DragonfireXZ95
same here
#10 Posted by Dark-KnTght (127 posts) -
I always prefered SC over Tekken but Tekken is goign to be AWESOME!! PS3 owners get to play both 8)
#11 Posted by Adrian_Cloud (7169 posts) -
Soul Calibur 2 was trash, and Soul Calibur 3 was decent. Meanwhile Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 are pure gold. The criterias a lame to say the least. Soul Calibur IV and Tekken 6 really do have great graphics though.
#13 Posted by too_much_eslim (10728 posts) -
Soul Calibur 2 was trash, and Soul Calibur 3 was decent. Meanwhile Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 are pure gold. The criterias a lame to say the least. Soul Calibur IV and Tekken 6 really do have great graphics though.Adrian_Cloud
you must have had the PS2 version that is why it sucked. Xbox version was the best. All the players was balance. Link was way too overpowered in the GC version. Also SC3 was even worse. I hope SCIV will be good.
#14 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (5016 posts) -

I wonder what the main mini-games will be for each game. Chronicles of the Sword was ok but I thought it could've been much better. It seemed really rushed (then again, so did SCIII in general). I wouldn't mind seeing a new much improved Chronicles of the Sword if they take their time to make it good.

As for T6, I wouldn't mind seeing a much improved Tekken Force mode with 2-player co-op and online 2-player co-op. Or a Tekken Dugeon mode would be cool like Tobal 2's Dungeon Mode.

#15 Posted by whocares4peace (4971 posts) -

Soul Calibur 4 has Darth Vader and Yoda.

Insta Win

#16 Posted by Arjdagr8 (3865 posts) -
HOORAH for fighters :D but ive preferred tekken over soul calibur.
#17 Posted by bearbones (1332 posts) -
If there's one thing Tekken 6 has over Soul Calibur IV it's humour. There's nothing quite like watching a bear and a kangaroo go at it when your high.
#18 Posted by bf2nutta (1356 posts) -
can't wait gotta get both.... but Soul Calibur with Darth and Yoda is gonna be awesome
#19 Posted by locopatho (23140 posts) -
Soul Calibur is better imo. I hate Tekken. But having both is better than having one, so congrats PS3 peoples.
#20 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (5016 posts) -

Insta Win

whocares4peace

Too bad we cant have a Darth Vader vs Yoda fight since they're console exclusive characters.

#21 Posted by daymo93 (244 posts) -

HOORAH for fighters :D but ive preferred tekken over soul calibur.Arjdagr8

I agree, i have enjoyed both series but always found tekken that little bit easy-er to get into

#22 Posted by jhcho2 (5013 posts) -

I have always prefered Tekken over SC. For me, i see too much japanese anime style in SC. The whole idea of having a metrosexual and unmasculine guy (ie. Siegfried) wielding a super large sword which probably weighs 80 pounds gives it a final fantasy feel to it. I've always preferred the rough and though portrayal of fighters instead of final fantasy style of fighters. I know the strength of many fighters in Tekken were exaggerated, but at least they really look like they can throw a punch or destroy a wall. Soul Calibur characters are gay too vain, and overdressed (eg. Ivy, Siegfried and Cervantes). I prefer the no-nonsense portrayal of Jin, Kazuya, Bryan etc. They just like fighting, and they don't dress themselves like they intend to act in some drama. The picture portraits of the charactrers in Tekken were drawn to the degree of realism make it look like they really exist in real life. The CGI movies in the game itself add to it all. Soul Calibur has none of that.

They way i see it,

Tekken - A martial arts game. People who like martial arts, rough and tough characters, pure muscles and manly attitude will like Tekken.

Soul Calibur - A stereotypical portrayal of Japanese culture, where people who fight in the ring dress themselves up so well they could pass of as circus freaks, and the so called tough ones who carry gargantuan swords actually look like they couldn't wrestle themselves out of a fight even if they wanted to.

#23 Posted by whocares4peace (4971 posts) -
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Insta Win

EnergyAbsorber

Too bad we cant have a Darth Vader vs Yoda fight since they're console exclusive characters.

They'll be DLC after a few months. Its just a trick by Namco to get some extra bucks.
#24 Posted by locopatho (23140 posts) -
Siegfried is a gigantic armoured demon knight of DEATH!!! And half the Soul Calibur people aren't even Japanese...
#25 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

Looking foward to both regardless.

Though I have always rathered Tekken

#26 Posted by Vectah_Sigma (1104 posts) -

the best soul calibur (soul blade) was the one that was on the dreamcast. as far as tekken, i think tag was the best one. i've been a fan of both since they came out, so its a toss up for me, but i always lean more towards tekken.

but as far as the ps3 and 360 verision of soul calibur, i think most people will buy the ps3 verision because of vader

#27 Posted by Shensolidus (931 posts) -
It just goes to show you how uninformed Gamepro is. For starters, Namco said they were releasing Soul Cal.4 in Arcades first so as to avoid a fiasco like with SC3 in terms of balance and what not. Also, if your a Tekken fan (I most certainly am), you know that the arcade board used for Tekken 6 resembled a PS3 architecture and was made by Sony for Tekken 6, which is one of the reasons why Tekken 6 is a PS3 exclusive. Sorry, we will be seeing Tekken 6 way before SC4.
#28 Posted by JLF1 (8263 posts) -
Tekken has been bad after 3.
#30 Posted by JLF1 (8263 posts) -

lol....a lot of you guys/gals are going to hate me for this, but i have to do it and i'm sorry.

since we are on the topic, which game do you guys/gals think is better game?

tekken, soul calibur, or street fight

Vectah_Sigma

Vampire savior

#31 Posted by jhcho2 (5013 posts) -

Siegfried is a gigantic armoured demon knight of DEATH!!! And half the Soul Calibur people aren't even Japanese...locopatho

Portrayal of japanese culture and being japanese are two different things. Have you played Ninety Nine Nights on Xbox360? All the characters are not supposed to be japanese, but the artstyle is unmistakably japanese.

#32 Posted by locopatho (23140 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"]Siegfried is a gigantic armoured demon knight of DEATH!!! And half the Soul Calibur people aren't even Japanese...jhcho2

Portrayal of japanese culture and being japanese are two different things. Have you played Ninety Nine Nights on Xbox360? All the characters are not supposed to be japanese, but the artstyle is unmistakably japanese.

O you're talking graphics. Fair enough, thought you meant it's just Japanese fighters.

#33 Posted by CubanBlunt (2025 posts) -
I like both and must have both. My PSN is "Mathematicz", come see me on Tekken 5 on-line.
#34 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (5016 posts) -
[QUOTE="EnergyAbsorber"]
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

Insta Win

whocares4peace

They'll be DLC after a few months. Its just a trick by Namco to get some extra bucks.

Where did you here this from? Or as is that just your prediction? That would be awsome if true.

#35 Posted by whocares4peace (4971 posts) -

Where did you here this from? Or as is that just your prediction? That would be awsome if true.

EnergyAbsorber

Its a prediction, but it'll most probably be true. Think about, all the fans who will buy both versions of SC4 will get it 2-3 months after release. Then Namco will release it as DLC to make some extra cash.

Or at least I can hope.

#36 Posted by thegame1980 (2194 posts) -

whocares4peace

'Nuff said ;)

#37 Posted by Action-Gamer (199 posts) -
Tekken is going to be awesome but I'm a big Soul Calibur fan since Dreamcast so ofcourse I'm super hyped up for SC. Get to play both anyway.
#38 Posted by Kratos_OMEGA (2875 posts) -

"Super Smash Brothers Brawl aint the only top-tier fighter in town"

IT's not even the same type of game.

#39 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (5016 posts) -

"Super Smash Brothers Brawl aint the only top-tier fighter in town"

IT's not even the same type of game.

Kratos_OMEGA

Well its not a tradional 1-on-1 fighter and the gameplay is a lot differet that most fighters but its still a fighter. Or some people like to call it a "brawler" but whatever. Genre's are getting way too technical nowadays.

#40 Posted by Swift_Boss_A (14579 posts) -

As much as I like Soul Calibur I just prefer Tekken way more. I love hand-to-hand combat over weapon based and Tekken is definitely the best bare knuckle fighting game I know. As a gamer I basically started of has a HUGE fighter fan and have played alot of fighters throughout the years. Tekken has been my fav fighter for a long time, I mean the game is really addictive and immensely enjoyable. In my opinion Tekken has the best fighters ever concieved in a fighting game, each one of them is unique and deep as a fighter and have great back stories to give them depth. The gameplay in Tekken is hard to criticise and if you do criticise Tekken's gameplay then it's obvious that you are a completely noob when it comes to Tekken. Tekken requires real skill and knowledge of the characters if you want to be on top, you cannot risk button mashing through a fight because you will find yourself in a juggle which will take half your life easy.

From the looks of it, Tekken 6 will be the best Tekken yet and will have alot of features which will apeal to the series veterans like me as well as newcomers. Features like:

• HUGE customisation of every character clothing etc
  • Rage system enabling for more strategic play
  • More juggles & combo's
  • Biggest roster of characters, even bigger then TTT
  • 5 new characters
  • projectile item attacks (e.g. Brian Fury with a shot gun etc)
  • proper distructable levels including multi levels (e.g. 2 floors etc)
  • new animations for every single character
  • More realistic levels & environments
  • ONLINE PLAY !!!!

The life bar in Tekken 6 will be bigger due to the fact that the emphasis on juggles & combo's has increased. I don't get why people say that Tekken is all about combo's, it atually all about stringing moves together and creating your very own combo :P I understand why Tekken is not everyone's cup of tea because it's a hardcore game.

#41 Posted by Funkyhamster (17366 posts) -
I agree with their decision... but they should have mentioned Darth Vader/Yoda more.
#43 Posted by Udsen (3389 posts) -

Insta Win

whocares4peace

My buddy is extremely choked because he follows the Soul Calibur story and he says adding yoda and Dv just makes no sense.

It's an obvious cash-in but..I dunno.

#44 Posted by tmntPunchout (3770 posts) -

Insta Win

whocares4peace

Geek alert.. INsta win for star wars characters :?. They will be interesting to use nonetheless.

#45 Posted by EnergyAbsorber (5016 posts) -
I just read at www.gamepro.com their "48 Best Games of 2008" list and they have Tekken 6 at number 6 on the list and Soul Calibur IV is all the way down at number 35. Thats kind of strange since they had SCIV as the winner on the article I posted. And Tekken 6 being ahead of games like FFXIII and Starcraft II.
#46 Posted by Thompsonwhore (2059 posts) -

They have release date as quality?

...Really?

#47 Posted by mavven (560 posts) -
Tekken to me
#48 Posted by ToScA- (5745 posts) -

I prefer Tekken by far. Way cooler and more interesting characters, and a preferable combat system not to mention me favoring hand-to-hand combat.

Problem is, I have no plans of getting a PS3 anytime soon, so here's hoping Tekken 6 ends up on X360 - which I'll be purchasing in April/May. Chances seem slim though :(

#49 Posted by Taalon (3424 posts) -
Their comparison is good until the end - they chose SC because Tekken 6 isn't out for a while and "there's no point hyping something so far away"? :roll:
#50 Posted by Bubblehash (2914 posts) -

I will own both. They are my two favorite fighting series.

Tekken = Best hand to hand combat

Soul Calibur = Best weapon to weapon combat