Gameinformer's GOTY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by N30F3N1X (8600 posts) -

Watch out guys, texasgoldrush is at it again. Better move on and spare yourself his ramblings.

#52 Posted by mitu123 (155154 posts) -

>Mass Effect 3

>GOTY

Pick one.

ChubbyGuy40

:lol:This is so true!

#53 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

You're such a boring character Texas. Won't you ever post something that isn't predictable?

#54 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] everything else is just personal taste....this is what bashers don't get.jg4xchamp

Which is exactly what a GOTY award is, critical acclaim, or anyone enjoying the game is to begin with. A matter of taste or stance on how you felt everything was executed.

The game defense teams lives in this bubble where it's completely absurd to think less of the game even if it was justified.

and the game's bashers don't? Their bubble is quite bigger. And really, this game's detractors are some of the dumbest I have ever seen for a game. They consistantly criticize the game for things it doesn't do, falsely or completely and utterly ignore clear facts about ME3 that disprove their points entirely.
#55 Posted by sukraj (27231 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is my GOTY.

#56 Posted by super600 (32403 posts) -

I love how the TC is bragging about ME3 winning tons of GOTY awards when it won't especially on GS.

#57 Posted by MirkoS77 (12495 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is my GOTY.

sukraj

Sorry, it was released this month which apparently is not considered part of the year.

#58 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

I love how the TC is bragging about ME3 winning tons of GOTY awards when it won't especially on GS.

super600
Uncharted 2 did not win Gamespot, but it won most places.... Bioshock and Fallout 3 did not either in their years, but both games own the most awards in their years. Gamespot =/= the entire gaming press
#59 Posted by super600 (32403 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

texasgoldrush

Uncharted 2 did not win Gamespot, but it won most places.... Bioshock and Fallout 3 did not either in their years, but both games own the most awards in their years. Gamespot =/= the entire gaming press

True, but I'm expecting other games like Dushonoured,Halo and FC3 to take a lot of GOTY awards this year.

#60 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="super600"]

super600

True, but I'm expecting other games like Dushonoured,Halo and FC3 to take a lot of GOTY awards this year.

I don't see Dishonored taking many GOTY awards...some, but not all. Gamespy will pick XCOM, but they highly overrate it. Its no where near as good as the first game. Mass Effect is a bad matchup for Halo. Far Cry 3 will take home many, but not the most. ME3's biggest challangers are The Walking Dead and Journey.
#61 Posted by mems_1224 (56914 posts) -
[QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. DarkLink77
Only by people who don't know a damn thing about science-fiction.

you remind me of him
#62 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. mems_1224

you remind me of him

oh wow....lol
#63 Posted by freedomfreak (49730 posts) -
I wonder if you would've made this thread if it was Black Ops 2 that won..
#65 Posted by funsohng (29841 posts) -
[QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. DarkLink77

What? No. Science fiction =/= Space Opera
#66 Posted by Ballroompirate (25829 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. funsohng

What? No. Science fiction =/= Space Opera

Space opera = a form of science fiction (aka Sci-Fi with drama). Star Wars, Dune, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Star Trek, The Last Starfighter and that's just the tip of the iceberg naming Space Operas.

#67 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -

"Mass Efffect 3 generates the best of what gaming can offer" boom! been saying this alllll year. good choice game informer, thank you for seeing paster the hipster haters and actually picking the best gane of the year and possibly the generation. amen. i say to you.

#68 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -
I wonder if you would've made this thread if it was Black Ops 2 that won..freedomfreak
Blops 2 wouldve had a shot if its multiplayer was as good as mass effect 3.... TheEroica going crazy up in this biatch
#69 Posted by Inconsistancy (8094 posts) -

[QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

I don't think Mass Effect 3 is a bad game by any means, but I also don't think that a narrative-centric game which implements one of the worst deus ex machinas in recent memory should be winning GOTY awards

texasgoldrush

wrong read my comment in this thread on how it SUBVERTS the Deus Ex Machina.

Just because you "physically" reversed it, doesn't mean you didn't do the trope. Within Greek plays, the trope's 'function' is: a "god" that serves to solve all the conflicts at the end of a story (aka, cosmic hand waving often due to poor writing/rushed work).

f = ma

ma = f

f/a = m

It doesn't matter which way you do it, it's still the same.

#70 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -

Ending sucked. Choices sucked. Forced multiplayer sucked. Lore sucked. Level design sucked. One-dimensional characters sucked. Deus ex machina sucked. inb4 "you just don't get it"Zeviander

Pick

Your

Choice

#71 Posted by biggest_loser (24255 posts) -
Lameee!!
#72 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29547 posts) -

ending was still one of the worst endings in the history of video games Texas.

Seriously, with a Game like Mass Effect there was no excuse for it to be NOT in line of endings like Chrono Trigger.

#73 Posted by Peredith (2289 posts) -

An RPG with a broken story winning GOTY? :lol: What happened to our standards? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwLLk3f4yU :cool:

#74 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

Meh, endings still suck.

#75 Posted by Heil68 (57687 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"]And its considered one of the best space operas of any medium. mems_1224

you remind me of him

LOL!
#76 Posted by CanYouDiglt (8227 posts) -
And it deserves it and many many more.
#77 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Only by people who don't know a damn thing about science-fiction.

you remind me of him

LOL!

Hahaha ok that was funny shiit.
#78 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -
And it deserves it and many many more.CanYouDiglt
Agreed and eff those who are hoping on the hate bandwagon... every game has flaws sure, but you cant name many games this generation rhat made you care about the characters and story as much as mass effect.... thats a fact... sure by novel standards theres more to be desired but by video game standards its amazing.
#79 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1646 posts) -

I think i got quarter way through 3....

just like the second, i just cant get into it and i eventually end up forcing myself to complete it.

Never even finished the first beccause of the horrid driving of the Mako.

Gameinformer always led up to this anyway. Every week in its poll it always had ME3 in it. it seems right then that it would win.

#80 Posted by TrapJak (2933 posts) -

Its a sad year for games when a sequel worse(but not by much) than it's previous installments still gets GOTY. ME3 is a damn good game , but I just can't get past the story, pacing and how tedious the game is at some points. Ehh, just my 2c.

#81 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -

just like the second, i just cant get into it and i eventually end up forcing myself to complete it.

Gameinformer always led up to this anyway. Every week in its poll it always had ME3 in it. it seems right then that it would win.

Quaker-w00ts
Poll? Where is this poll. I get GI and never saw no stinking poll!
#82 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1646 posts) -

[QUOTE="Quaker-w00ts"]

TheEroica

that little activity poll on the edge of a page in the beginning:o

#83 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="Quaker-w00ts"]

Quaker-w00ts

that little activity poll on the edge of a page in the beginning:o

Ive subscribed to GI for years and have never seen it!!! Truth be told i read from the back to the front of the mag too... anyone else do this?
#84 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
FAIL
#85 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18452 posts) -
Always happens, big name websites/magazines will ignore some big name games.. either ones released right at the end of the year or ones early on they forget about. It's not a true GOTY if they do it early and don't let some of the big games have a chance.
#86 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Mass Effect 3? :lol:

Really?

#87 Posted by lundy86_4 (48524 posts) -

Already a thread.

I already knew the game, solely based on the TC creating the thread.

#88 Posted by SciFiRPGfan (694 posts) -

The ending caused an uproar but honestly this was the obvious winner of the year. One of the best games all gen, from one of the best franchises of all time. Mass effect 2 was a tad better thoms555

Well, it sorta..., kinda... grew on me despite its flaws so I can agree that the game could have been considered enjoyable and maybe even pretty good (solid production values, decent gameplay and plenty of well executed moments) so yeah, I consider it an overall good game too.

But, I disagree about it being an obvious GoTY. There were some other solid games too and I belive that regardless of the final choice, this year it would be a close call for many (most?) people. Otherwise, "the obvious choice" wouldn't have dropped out of G4TV's videogame deathmatch in round of 16 already. :P

I am curious for other public polls tho.

#89 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="WTA2k5"]

I don't think Mass Effect 3 is a bad game by any means, but I also don't think that a narrative-centric game which implements one of the worst deus ex machinas in recent memory should be winning GOTY awards

Inconsistancy

wrong read my comment in this thread on how it SUBVERTS the Deus Ex Machina.

Just because you "physically" reversed it, doesn't mean you didn't do the trope. Within Greek plays, the trope's 'function' is: a "god" that serves to solve all the conflicts at the end of a story (aka, cosmic hand waving often due to poor writing/rushed work).

f = ma

ma = f

f/a = m

It doesn't matter which way you do it, it's still the same.

Wrong Its not a Deus Ex Machina because it was established in the story way before that the Crucible and the Catalyst was the solution to the Reapers. The only twist here was the Catalyst is not what you thought it was. Remember the plot was about searching for the Catalyst. In fact, the original draft, Javik was the Catalyst, and the Reaper master was called the Guardian, who was never foreshadowed and did come out of the blue. This is one reason why they made that character the Catalyst, to make the story far less contrived.
#90 Posted by Zophar87 (4344 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Ending sucked. Choices sucked. Forced multiplayer sucked. Lore sucked. Level design sucked. One-dimensional characters sucked. Deus ex machina sucked. inb4 "you just don't get it"texasgoldrush
and yet it won....maybe because you are wrong. Ending was fixed. Choices did matter. The multiplayer was a suprise. Lore was fine...all in the narrative. Level design was ok...so its not great but even GOTY's have weaknesses. Three dimensional characters with full character development. And the only Deus Ex Machina was subverted and turned on its head.

Nah, this year sucked.

#91 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

[QUOTE="ms555"]The ending caused an uproar but honestly this was the obvious winner of the year. One of the best games all gen, from one of the best franchises of all time. Mass effect 2 was a tad better thoSciFiRPGfan

Well, it sorta..., kinda... grew on me despite its flaws so I can agree that the game could have been considered enjoyable and maybe even pretty good (solid production values, decent gameplay and plenty of well executed moments) so yeah, I consider it an overall good game too.

But, I disagree about it being an obvious GoTY. There were some other solid games too and I belive that regardless of the final choice, this year it would be a close call for many (most?) people. Otherwise, "the obvious choice" wouldn't have dropped out of G4TV's videogame deathmatch in round of 16 already. :P

I am curious for other public polls tho.

Fan vote influenced by the haters. Remember the villian vote here on Gamespot where Sephiroth was knocked out the first round by a Gears of War baddie......as much as I think Seph is overrated, that was clear hatred that drove that poll. I trust editors more than "fans".
#92 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

you remind me of him

Never compare me to someone who likes the garbage that is Star Trek ever again.

#93 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

Seriously, with a Game like Mass Effect there was no excuse for it to be NOT in line of endings like Chrono Trigger.

LegatoSkyheart
The original ending was botched.....the Leviathan + Extended Cut ending is complete. They fixed it in far less time than it took The Witcher 2 devs to fix their broken ending.
#94 Posted by TheEroica (17209 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Only by people who don't know a damn thing about science-fiction.DarkLink77

you remind me of him

Haha.... i cant get into star trek either. I have a buddy who claims its genius and i just dont see it. Id compare you more to Wrex :P :lol:
#95 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

An RPG with a broken story winning GOTY? :lol: What happened to our standards? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwLLk3f4yU :cool:

Peredith
and yet the rest of the cast is based off of actors and models so......
#96 Posted by Zophar87 (4344 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

texasgoldrush

The original ending was botched.....the Leviathan + Extended Cut ending is complete. They fixed it in far less time than it took The Witcher 2 devs to fix their broken ending.

So you're saying they needed DLC in order to fix the ending? That's unacceptable.

#97 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="mems_1224"] you remind me of himTheEroica

Haha.... i cant get into star trek either. I have a buddy who claims its genius and i just dont see it. Id compare you more to Wrex :P :lol:

Star Trek is hit or miss....this is evident in the movie series where they alternate between sucky movie and good movie. Deep Space Nine was Star Trek at its best and a clear Mass Effect influence....."In the Pale Moonlight" especially
#98 Posted by texasgoldrush (11908 posts) -

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Zophar87

So you're saying they needed DLC in order to fix the ending? That's unacceptable.

At least they fixed the ending, for free.
#99 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

Other than the ending it was a great game. So I have no problem with GI's pick.

#100 Posted by Zophar87 (4344 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"] The original ending was botched.....the Leviathan + Extended Cut ending is complete. They fixed it in far less time than it took The Witcher 2 devs to fix their broken ending.texasgoldrush

At least they fixed the ending, for free.

It's still unacceptable. We play in an industry that thinks they can fix every last thing with a patch or DLC. It's stupid, just spend a little extra time on the game instead of giving us this @#$%. BioWare released a glittering dog turd and people like you are calling it Game of the Year.