Game With The Best/Most Unique Combat System?

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#101 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Final Fantasy Dissidia.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#102 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Mount and Blade Warband.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23902 Posts

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]yeah, but if it controls like s***, then nothing else matters. it plays bad and the camera waggles around as you attack. tom mcshea should give this a try, he'd scream for forgiveness for skyward sword :PBrunoBRS

Now I know you haven't played it. It controls like virtually every first person game, unless you were flailing the mouse around for some form of mental stimulation for a simple mind.

I'll give you a 6/10 for making me believe you actually played it.

i did play it. after i was done with the turorial and got mugged by a random NPC before someone explained how to draw/put away my weapons, i managed to find an arena-thing. went in, at first i tried landing the attacks properly, but the camera flung around anyway and the results barely mattered, so i tried flailing the mouse and it worked just as well. sure i was probably very early on and that's why it was so easy, but that doesn't take away the fact that the swordplay controls are awful. and it's exactly the kind of thing developers were mapping to the wiimote early on its life, and it didn't work back then.

The difficulty options are set to the easy settings by default. Meaning a dumber slower AI which makes hitting things easier. Of course, flailing works quite well against NPCs from experience, assuming you are overpowering them. But against actual players and foes that are stronger than you it wont work so well (stronger enemies attack with more finesse and speed than you in addition to doing more damage)

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Arkham Asylum's fighting flows very well.

rcignoni

I agree with this its simple and flows insanely well and on top of that you can combine stealthy attack with some straight up front beatdowns.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#105 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Now I know you haven't played it. It controls like virtually every first person game, unless you were flailing the mouse around for some form of mental stimulation for a simple mind.

I'll give you a 6/10 for making me believe you actually played it.

Maroxad

i did play it. after i was done with the turorial and got mugged by a random NPC before someone explained how to draw/put away my weapons, i managed to find an arena-thing. went in, at first i tried landing the attacks properly, but the camera flung around anyway and the results barely mattered, so i tried flailing the mouse and it worked just as well. sure i was probably very early on and that's why it was so easy, but that doesn't take away the fact that the swordplay controls are awful. and it's exactly the kind of thing developers were mapping to the wiimote early on its life, and it didn't work back then.

The difficulty options are set to the easy settings by default. Meaning a dumber slower AI which makes hitting things easier. Of course, flailing works quite well against NPCs from experience, assuming you are overpowering them. But against actual players and foes that are stronger than you it wont work so well (stronger enemies attack with more finesse and speed than you in addition to doing more damage)

so there's the reason for the stupid NPCs (save for the dude that mugged me before i could react >.>). but there's still no explanation for the awful implementation of combat. i mean damn. who the hell thought controlling the camera and the attacks with the same action would be a good idea?
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23902 Posts

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i did play it. after i was done with the turorial and got mugged by a random NPC before someone explained how to draw/put away my weapons, i managed to find an arena-thing. went in, at first i tried landing the attacks properly, but the camera flung around anyway and the results barely mattered, so i tried flailing the mouse and it worked just as well. sure i was probably very early on and that's why it was so easy, but that doesn't take away the fact that the swordplay controls are awful. and it's exactly the kind of thing developers were mapping to the wiimote early on its life, and it didn't work back then.BrunoBRS

so there's the reason for the stupid NPCs (save for the dude that mugged me before i could react >.>). but there's still no explanation for the awful implementation of combat. i mean damn. who the hell thought controlling the camera and the attacks with the same action would be a good idea?

You can change this in the options to make it with WASD instead if that pleases you, I prefer to do it with the mouse however. As stated, as you get better your mouse movements will be so minimal the camera will barely move at all. I had the exact same impressions as you as I started the game.

Anyway, there are 2 things determining AI.

Combat AI: easy, medium, hard
Enemy Army: Vassal, and Royal armies have the best AI, Deserters having had experience with the vassals are more organized than bandits, but not as organized as actual armies. Bandits are the dumbest foes.

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Dark Souls and Arkham City both had awesome combat. You don't really appreciate Dark Soul's combat until you play something else. It has a level of precision that is very addicting and I haven't found anywhere else.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#108 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

probably Kingdom Hearts.

It's a great mix between RPGs and Hack and Slash.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Dark Souls and Arkham City both had awesome combat. You don't really appreciate Dark Soul's combat until you play something else. It has a level of precision that is very addicting and I haven't found anywhere else.BadNewsBen

Agree, Dark Souls combat is extremely addictive...although a little bit frustrating at time.

Anyway, for me is probably Bayonetta, very few games gives you this amount of control over your character, is probably the only game where you feel you can perform all the moves you watched in the cutscenes, not to mention that once you get all the weapons and all the upgrades your character feels a little bit overpowered and you'll love to decimate your enemies in such a stylish fashion...man, that game is great.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Zeno Clash Best and most satisfying first person melee combat in a game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA0uTRHyGh8

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#111 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Mount&Blade, anyone who says otherwise hasnt played it.

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

M&B Warband

and WfaS a bit (though muskets are BS)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BadNewsBen"]Dark Souls and Arkham City both had awesome combat. You don't really appreciate Dark Soul's combat until you play something else. It has a level of precision that is very addicting and I haven't found anywhere else.madsnakehhh

Agree, Dark Souls combat is extremely addictive...although a little bit frustrating at time.

the only frustration is from being helpless against OP players invading your world the moment you find the bonfire :P still gives some of the most intense and satisfying swordfights though.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#115 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
bayonetta. although I did enjoy the combat in ZOE: the 2nd runner as mentioned in the OP.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

i did play it. after i was done with the turorial and got mugged by a random NPC before someone explained how to draw/put away my weapons, i managed to find an arena-thing. went in, at first i tried landing the attacks properly, but the camera flung around anyway and the results barely mattered, so i tried flailing the mouse and it worked just as well. sure i was probably very early on and that's why it was so easy, but that doesn't take away the fact that the swordplay controls are awful. and it's exactly the kind of thing developers were mapping to the wiimote early on its life, and it didn't work back then.BrunoBRS

Ding! Ding!

Newsflash, the camera moves as you move your mouse!

Now onto other news-breaking stories like water is wet, birds flying, grass being green and sun shining!

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#117 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Zone of the enders 2 was an amazing game.

I like Wild Arms 3 combat system.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i did play it. after i was done with the turorial and got mugged by a random NPC before someone explained how to draw/put away my weapons, i managed to find an arena-thing. went in, at first i tried landing the attacks properly, but the camera flung around anyway and the results barely mattered, so i tried flailing the mouse and it worked just as well. sure i was probably very early on and that's why it was so easy, but that doesn't take away the fact that the swordplay controls are awful. and it's exactly the kind of thing developers were mapping to the wiimote early on its life, and it didn't work back then.Vesica_Prime

Ding! Ding!

Now onto other news-breaking stories like water is wet, birds flying, grass being green and sun shining!

newsflash: having to flail the camera around to attack is bad design!
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Vesica_Prime

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i did play it. after i was done with the turorial and got mugged by a random NPC before someone explained how to draw/put away my weapons, i managed to find an arena-thing. went in, at first i tried landing the attacks properly, but the camera flung around anyway and the results barely mattered, so i tried flailing the mouse and it worked just as well. sure i was probably very early on and that's why it was so easy, but that doesn't take away the fact that the swordplay controls are awful. and it's exactly the kind of thing developers were mapping to the wiimote early on its life, and it didn't work back then.BrunoBRS

Ding! Ding!

Newsflash: You're trolling, because anyone and their dog could pick up this game and tell that the camera has no spastic motions when attacking in first person.

You're just bad at the game as you lack control in the mouse.

PS: Mind giving some proof on these 'flailing motions'? I just jumped into a custom battle and the mouse didn't try and take over my body.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Good old-fashioned dogfights: Pacific Fighters.

I'm a little rusty though due to lack of play time. Since I started replaying the game, I've scored 2 kills and have been shot down at least twice that number.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#121 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

The best I'd give to RAGE. Might sound weird, but all the other flaws melt away in the midst of combat. In RAGe, EVERY single gun and gadget has a great use. Enemies are damn smart, fights are hectic, and there is variety in weapons and environments, along with a nice progression to enemies and guns/abilities. In a fight, you'll face maybe 3 or 4 different types of enemies, all intelligent, forcing you to use everything you've got, and while it makes it a bit too easy, the defib really gives you a nice second chance.

If it didn't try to be an open world game, and Id focused on just a nice shooting focused game, more like Bioshock or older DOOM titles I think it wouldn't have gotten as flak since the combat is darn near perfect. Just needed some environmental variety.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

Ding! Ding!

Vesica_Prime

Newsflash: You're trolling, because anyone and their dog could pick up this game and tell that the camera has no spastic motions when attacking in first person.

PS: Mind giving some proof on these 'flailing motions'? I just jumped into a custom battle and the mouse didn't try and take over my body.

flailing motions, aka waggling, a pretty common term people here like to use to describe wii controls. wave left to right to have you do a left-to-right slash. downside is the camera does the same thing.
MingLeWinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 MingLeWinG
Member since 2011 • 42 Posts
Demon/Dark Souls and PS3 exclusives have the best combat systems imo.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Vesica_Prime

[QUOTE="Vesica_Prime"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] newsflash: having to flail the camera around to attack is bad design!BrunoBRS

flailing motions, aka waggling, a pretty common term people here like to use to describe wii controls. wave left to right to have you do a left-to-right slash. downside is the camera does the same thing.

I'm using my WASD to do directional attacks and it works just fine. Don't know why you have such a problem that your mouse controls suffer from it.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
The world ends with you, still haven't played anything like it.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#126 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Even though I haven´t played much of it,Mount & Blade for sure.

deathtarget04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#127 deathtarget04
Member since 2009 • 2266 Posts

Counter Strike Source... :)JigglyWiggly_

lol

anyway i think i'll go with Ninja Gaiden Black.

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts

God Hand is solid

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Well Enter The Matrix, Path Of Neo, & Batman AA/AC are my favorite combat systems. I wish to see some future games that have combat systems like the matrix games did.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#130 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Temple of Elemental Evil

Severance: Blade of Darkness

Mount & Blade: Warband

Jagged Alliance 2

Comes to mind.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Skyward sword easily comes to mind.

muzik_mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#132 muzik_mafia
Member since 2009 • 1628 Posts

Condemned 2 and Dead Space.

JakeMeltzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 JakeMeltzer
Member since 2011 • 243 Posts

I don't think it is very unique, but the combat in God of War III gets my vote for being the best overall. I'm mainly talking about the finishing moves, which are really well done.