game tutorials?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Is it me or are gaming tutorials the thing of the past? I dont want my hand holding but would like to learn basics first with out looking at youtube. Its mainly open world survival games from fallout 4 base building to Conan exiles and even Frostpunk just seems to chuck you in the deep end. What do you think are developers lacking any tutorials these days?.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

Pretty much yes. I ussally read casually the tutorials and learn the the game by playing it.

BUT, you have huge mistake in the way you are thinking about them. Develpers can't ingore a new audiance for their games just because some long times gamers already knows the basic. You always want new players to become your next fans.

Many games nowadays lets you skip the tutorial, if that's a problem.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Every game I've played since ps2 days has had tutorials. I think these are very specific games.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Tutorials are for the people that read manuals and instruction booklets. I don' t have the patience so it's a game with a high learning curve like a strategy RPG or something, I won't bother playing them if I can't figure most of it out pretty quick.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

Tutorials are only bad if they drag out and don't really require them.

Basically, Ubisoft.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I love the settlement-building and supply routes in Fallout 4. It didn't take me long to figure out how to build basic multistory buildings and manage the resources required to keep the settlers happy. Just start fiddling around and you'll figure it out.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Trouble with tutorials is that they break immersion.

You are in the game world, and boom, suddenly you are pulled into a training area for tutorial. Totally breaks the immersion.

Worst modern example; Nioh.

Nioh starts strong, on the prison tower. But after that, boom, the game forces you to go thru the most boring and crappy tutorial ever.

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

@henrythefifth: Didn't play Nioh myself, but I think there are some games that makes total sense with the tutorial.

One of the best I can think of, is Assassin Creed 2. You get the tutorial right after Ezio sees his father and brothers dying. He escapes, and than, they teach him how to become a proper assassin.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Every game has a tutorial of some kind, it just makes you appreciate the games that disguise it into the gameplay.