Game Prices 20 years ago

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I'm more bothered by the inflated prices in europe compared to america. I remember that games were more expensive back then though compared to todays economy, which is why I was only allowed two games a year.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

If publishers would adjust for inflation and price games exactly the same as they were priced 20 years ago, video games would become just as unpopular as they were 20 years ago. The large audience that the video game media has generated allows for a lower price point to maximize profits.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

I used to buy C64/Spectrum games for £2.99 back in the day. You could get compilation packs for about £19.99 too. Console games have always been overpriced, although i did buy streetfighter 2 (SNES) import for £60 so i could have it before its UK release date.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

[QUOTE="mexicangordo"]

LoZ OoT was 70 bucks when it first came out if i remember correctly, and Super Mario All Stars was 50 bucks as well. O the 90's :P

Nintendo_Ownes7

Also wasn't Majora's Mask $100 in 2000. It was bundled with the Expansion Pak. Just like Donkey Kong 64.

I remember paying $120 for Quake 2 on the N64.

I then bought it for $1 on steam :P

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

I used to buy C64/Spectrum games for £2.99 back in the day. You could get compilation packs for about £19.99 too. Console games have always been overpriced, although i did buy streetfighter 2 (SNES) import for £60 so i could have it before its UK release date.

WAJ
When I was a little kid my uncle gave me an ordinary tape for the c64 with about 50 games on it, I thought it was xmas or something. Took another 15 years before I realised I'd been exposed to be piracy at a very young age :P
Szminsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Szminsky
Member since 2005 • 1471 Posts

I remember Puch out for NES being around 115us here in sweden. My grandma was like oh so you want a game for birthday prese.... lets go the other way.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts
[QUOTE="WAJ"]

tomarlyn
When I was a little kid my uncle gave me an ordinary tape for the c64 with about 50 games on it, I thought it was xmas or something. Took another 15 years before I realised I'd been exposed to be piracy at a very young age :P

hehe yeah I used to have a few of those with the counter indicators for the tape deck written on the tape for where the games would start so you could fast forward or rewind the tape to whichever game you wanted....awesome.
LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
So you want us to complain less so prices can go up higher? ...Makes sense! It will lead way for a new system with lower prices!!!!
gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#59 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Yeah, I remember paying something like $65(US) for NBA LIVE '96. All the '95/'96 EA sports titles were around $60. That was on Genesis. SNES games were usually more expensive. That's where renting and borrowing from friends came in handy.

The CD really allowed games to become much cheaper in price. PSX games were usually dirt cheap.

pyeeater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 pyeeater
Member since 2006 • 63 Posts

UK prices for spectrum 48k major releases began at £9.99 , this was for the major games like Elite or any games from the Ultimate devs. I guess this was from about 1983 to the late 80's

Then when the Commodore Amigam / Atari ST took over , the games were priced at around £30. Although some games were priced at £35 (all the microprose ones were priced at the £35). I think this was from the late 80's.

Now , for a PC game you are looking at around £30.

ghostofzabis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 ghostofzabis
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

I paid $120 for dragonball z game on snes... :(

Fossil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Fossil-
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts

Uhh, I remember getting SNES games for $25-40. Some may have been released closer to 60-70, but I can guarantee you they saw fast and sharp price drops. I even remember getting Super Mario RPG for $50 and thinking this game must be awesome because it cost more than my other games. Most big PC titles were $40 until some time around the PS2 era when everything went up to 50. I'm pretty sure Quake 3 was the first PC game I bought for $50 at which point I noticed it was the norm for new releases.

N64 games were absurdly priced after it launched. I remember getting Turok for $80. Eventually (maybe a year or so) most of the releases stabalized to $50 while playstation games were $40. A few big titles like OoT may have still been $60, but you could usually find price drops after a few months.

These days you're lucky to see a $10 price drop on a year old game. Which in the case of sports games is entirely meaningless. I can bet you any game released for $70 in the early 90s was probably $40 or less within 6 months. That may seem like a long time now, but games were not surrounded by the massive hype and information overload we have these days. (besides I'd gladly wait 6 months extra for a lot of current gen. games if we had those kinds of price drops)

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

i remember FFVII costing my cousin £44.99 back in 97 which is probably now bout £60 or something now xD it was a hefty expensive game mind you back then supermarkets didnt sell games and same goes for what was my favourite shop for buying games at release cause i could take a 5min walk down the town now i need a bus to buy games cause goddamn woolworths went bankrupt *huff*