NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I don't see how they're making money from it, but holy shit has it turned into a great service. Getting all the Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Yakuza 0 + Kiwami 1/2 on it couldn't have been cheap.

Outer Worlds is one of the best games I've played this year and it only cost me a buck to do so. I've gotten to try out so many new games that I had some interest in but not enough interest in to actually buy like Remnant, DMC5, Outer Wilds, Metro Exodus, Rage 2, World War Z, Jump Force, etc. It also has a lot of older games I'm replaying like Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Saints Row The Third, Fallout NV and Mass Effect.

When they first launched the service I thought it was a joke and looked like something I would never subscribe to. Now it is changing my video game buying habits. Unless it's a Sony or Nintendo game, or a Rockstar or CDPR game why would I buy any other games now knowing they will probably end up on game pass within a year?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It's nice.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Fucking mint. Really hitting it's stride lately.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69359 Posts

It's pretty darn good. I hope the others follow.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I'll stick to buying my games thanks.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45056 Posts

It's a $120 year rental service... many of the games you mentioned can be purchased out right for very cheap..

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 sealionact  Online
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: That's one way of nitpicking the deal I suppose. You could also say it's available for $3 which includes six months Spotify Premiuim, 3 months Xbox Live, 3 months Gamepass for PC, 3 months Games with Gold, a month of EA Access and 3 Months Discord Nitro on top of the Xbox Gamepass, and that many of the games are AAA titles that can't be purchased cheaper elsewhere ....... but that would be being positive about something I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic said:

It's a $120 year rental service... many of the games you mentioned can be purchased out right for very cheap..

You could of said its not for you and moved along, but instead we got...

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@sealionact said:

@SolidGame_basic: That's one way of nitpicking the deal I suppose. You could also say it's available for $3 which includes six months Spotify Premiuim, 3 months Xbox Live, 3 months Gamepass for PC, 3 months Games with Gold, a month of EA Access and 3 Months Discord Nitro on top of the Xbox Gamepass, and that many of the games are AAA titles that can't be purchased cheaper elsewhere ....... but that would be being positive about something I guess.

Sure, the limited time trial deal is great, but I wouldn't pay for the full service. 95% of the games he listed can be purchased pretty cheap now and you actually own the game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Do like I do and don't subscribe to it all year long. Only when MS's first party titles drop. It's got crazy value. Game Pass is the ultimate money tantrum from Microsoft. I'm gonna ride this wave while it lasts.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

Not enough games on the PC side. I'm disappointed that some of the games approved for Xbox also aren't approved for PC like DMC5

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

I'll stick to buying my games thanks.

Okay Boomer😏

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

When ultra/GP is not £1 for 1-3 months then it’s around £15 for 3 months on cd keys most times

Tho a cheeky little work around the £1 new user Deal is to create a new account every time there is a deal you can still use your main account on xbox as long as an account on the console has gamepass/ ultra

Cheap as chips

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44099 Posts

Yep, it’s definitely a great value no doubt about that. For me though I’d still just rather purchase my games either on physical format or digitally and play them at my leisure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pedro

It's always interesting when folks act as if they routinely replay the majority of the games they "own". 😂

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

Sure, the limited time trial deal is great, but I wouldn't pay for the full service. 95% of the games he listed can be purchased pretty cheap now and you actually own the game.

Depends how you evaluate.....Purchase 95% of those games - even pretty cheap - and you're looking at $2000 - $3000 based on $20 per game instead of up to $60 (Though it's very unlikely you'll actually find all those games that cheap).
You'd have over 100 games for Xbox plus another 30 or so for PC, but it's very unlikely you'd actually like most of those games. Lets be optimistic and say those games give you two years worth of gaming - heck, lets say 5 years for the hell of it. Just doesn't compete to paying 120 bucks a year for those same games, and buying the ones you want to keep at a reduced price.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's not for me, but I'm super impressed by the value they've put forward so far

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic

@sealionact said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

Depends how you evaluate.....Purchase 95% of those games - even pretty cheap - and you're looking at $2000 - $3000 based on $20 per game instead of up to $60 (Though it's very unlikely you'll actually find all those games that cheap).

You'd have over 100 games for Xbox plus another 30 or so for PC, but it's very unlikely you'd actually like most of those games. Lets be optimistic and say those games give you two years worth of gaming - heck, lets say 5 years for the hell of it. Just doesn't compete to paying 120 bucks a year for those same games, and buying the ones you want to keep at a reduced price.

5 years worth of gaming? So that's $600 to give to MS when I could've waited for those games to go very cheap and play them at my own leisure?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Pedro said:

It's always interesting when folks act as if they routinely replay the majority of the games they "own". 😂

I must be a minority then, jeez, played mass effect well over ten times, just one example.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@Random_Matt: That's one game. How many of the other purchases are never revisited? This is why services like these are appealing. There are games you always want to play and games you only play once. You sub the later and buy the prior.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

I'm about to jump in, but have a few questions:

- I would take game pass ultimate for 3 months, but after that period switch over to gamepass for PC. Is that possible?

- How long will the PC gamepass be in beta for? Right now it's 4/month but it will go back to 10/month

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

5 years worth of gaming? So that's $600 to give to MS when I could've waited for those games to go very cheap and play them at my own leisure?

lol, now SolidGame_basic has no problem with waiting for games

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Agreed, it’s fantastic.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Yup, great service. An actual Netflix for games.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sealionact  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

If you can spend $120 a year on games, and those games keep you busy for the year (Let's be generous and say you get them for half price), then great .... That's about 4 games. Each game has to last you about 3 months.

Meanwhile, I'll pay the same and get AAA titles as they launch without waiting for discounts...and struggle to find time to play my choice of many games on two platforms.

We're both happy then, and you don't have to give MS any money.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2137 Posts

Yea, too bad it's already showing the major problem. The games they have shown off so far looks like low grade trash. I mean, why spend millions of dollars when you can buy the game for a dollar? Yep trash.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61471 Posts

@Syn_Valence: Huh? It just got The Outer Worlds on release, and a huge amount of FF games are coming to the service as well as Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2. It obviously does get cheaper games, but even the PC version of GP is getting solid releases.

OT: I've been subbing since Gears 5 released, and for the price, I really have no issues. I've not been tempted to partake in the discounts for purchasing the games, as i;d rather have them on Steam.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sealionact  Online

@Syn_Valence: Google translation "Its not on PlayStation.....must trash it somehow.."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

@sealionact said:

@Syn_Valence: Google translation "Its not on PlayStation.....must trash it somehow.."

Hahaha pretty much. He is a well known gobbler for Sony; will suck anything Sony throws at him.

@drlostrib said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

lol, now SolidGame_basic has no problem with waiting for games

Lmao...

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

And many of the games are AAA games that are a lot more expensive...

@sealionact said:

Sounds about right.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I definitely like it for those games I probably wouldn't buy on my own but end up liking them a great deal. By time I am done with them I don't care much I don't own them, just move onto next game, though a few I still might get next time they are on sale.

There's so much there my main regret is not getting to everything I want to try in time before it leaves. But, I just move onto the next thing and forget about it.

And this saves me lots of money. In last few months I haven't had to buy many games which is nice.

In the past their big releases were much of the time games I already had, but in last year their entries have really been adding up offering me more.

I know many times some like to criticize it for having many indie titles but I have really come to enjoy these. The big AAA games are just shallow padded time drains that it is refreshing to be able to have a unique and enjoyable experience that doesn't require a huge investment of time and money.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

Not enough games on the PC side. I'm disappointed that some of the games approved for Xbox also aren't approved for PC like DMC5

Yeah I think it's a good value but I am not sure what copyright/license/etc issues prevent a lot of the games from being on both.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@davillain-: Boomer?

Michael668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Michael668
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

Its Nice...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Yeah I think it's a good value but I am not sure what copyright/license/etc issues prevent a lot of the games from being on both.

Yeah another example would be Below. It's on the Xbox game pass, but not on the PC game pass.

Strangest thing of all: it's actually published by MS (Xbox game studios)

My guess is: there is fewer content on PC because it is still in beta and it's because PC gets some exclusives of its own like the Age of Empires series and other strategy games (that never appeared on Xbox).

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

The $1 for 3 months is obviously an insane deal. But of course it's to hook you in, $120 a year? Still not bad I guess, I assume that also includes gold, or is gold on top of that?

I wouldn't mind if Playstation offered something similar, I'd say it's probably a better arrangement than PSN or Gold (2 random games a month) just because of having so many more newer games to choose from.

That being said, I buy lots of games for cheap (both digital and physical) and get to own them forever, and don't need to worry about subscriptions. Plus I get to pick and choose games I want from the entire universe of available games, not ones off a list. So I'm not entirely sure the $120/year would be worth it to keep going year after year after year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lundy86_4

@2Chalupas: Game Pass Ultimate has Gold included for Xbox gamers. 200CAD a year (just shy of $17 a month,) but you also get discounts on purchasing digital titles at all times.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

3 months for $1 deal is hard to pass up.

But yeah I'll probably just go buy AOE II Definitive edition & Outer Worlds via Windows PC when it goes on sale.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

seems pretty cool, but I'd rather just buy I game at play at my own pace.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

Yup. It was an alright deal when I got 2 months for a dollar, but there's no way I'd pay 120 a year for the limited amount of games they have for PC. Cancelled after I got my 2 cheap months.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34566 Posts

Yup. I've been buying 1-2 months for $1 for more than half a year now. Even though it says "first month $1, then 4 something", I can still get one month for $1 dollar. No idea why, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Haven't really used it to its full potential though. Only been playing a little bit of Gears 5, quite a lot of Sea of Thieves and a little Metro Exodus. Probably gonna use it for some Halo MCC later.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Bad for the industry, Microsoft wants full control over your media.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@jcrame10: How does this allow them full control of your media?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jcrame10

@Pedro: because you don’t own any of the games you’re playing. They can come and go as they please off the app. The app can be completely shut down one day.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lundy86_4

@jcrame10: You can also purchase games and receive a discount due to being part of GP.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@jcrame10 said:

@Pedro: because you don’t own any of the games you’re playing. They can come and go as they please off the app. The app can be completely shut down one day.

As Lundy indicated, you can always purchase the games. Your complaint is akin to listening to the radio, you don't own the music and the music comes and goes as they please but ignore the fact you can purchase the music at anytime.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jcrame10

@Pedro: I don’t pay a monthly fee to listen to the radio in my car WTF LOL not the same at all

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I like the concept. I'm just not gaming enough to really get the most out of a modern day rental. Though I do enjoy trying different games without having to buy them outright.

This is good if you want to blast through some games, or even try it before you own it.