Game length is overrated

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I've started to play more indie games because they are more enjoyable. Video games nowadays seems like they are more trying to justify the price by making games extremely long and repetitive. It doesn't really make for a better game. I used to like games that were free and better. Growing up it was that way. I still think indie games are somewhat overpriced but the enjoyment is there at least. Too many games imo are about what review scores they get, graphic kings and how long and epic they are. This started last gen. It wasn't that way before.

Since i stopped reading the hype and reviews and just started to buy games that I think i'd like i'm enjoying htem more. Last gen there weren't many games like this though. It seems like the indie titles on ps4 are starting to bring that back a bit though.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
@Celtic_34 said:

Video games nowadays seems like they are more trying to justify the price by making games extremely long and repetitive.

What the ****?

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'd rather have a short amazing game than a long drawn out boring one.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178807 Posts

So you like casual gaming. Big deal.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

that's what she said

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

>videogames nowadays

>extremely long

you fucking wot m8

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celtic_34

@LJS9502_basic said:

It has nothing to do with being casual. Most games are so dumbed down these days i don't even think people know what casual gaming is. I'd rather a short oldschool in depth game than a long one where i'm doing the same mindless stuff over and over again.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Eh, there are lengthy games that are (mostly) good throughout. And there are short ones that can be a blast, too. Vice versa, and all that.

I don't care much about game length myself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178807 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

It has nothing to do with being casual. Most games are so dumbed down these days i don't even think people know what casual gaming is. I'd rather a short oldschool in depth game than a long one where i'm doing the same mindless stuff over and over again.

You generalize way too much to justify your casual gaming.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i am not paying $60 for a 5 hour game and indies can suck my nuts

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

i have good news for you then! gimme $60 and i'll make you a game you can finish in 10 seconds! perfect for your casual, busy pleasures!

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

It depends on the price. If a game is cheap and replayable, I don't mind if it's short. However, I got more of my money's worth last gen out of the longest games (Elder Scrolls, GTA, Fallout, etc). I've gotten more value from Civilization IV than any game ever.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

This is why I have yet to play any Assassin's Creed game and why GTAV inevitably got on my nerves.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

If the game is good it doesn't matter to me.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@ShepardCommandr said:

i am not paying $60 for a 5 hour game and indies can suck my nuts

You know what company never has this problem but gets all sorts of crap on this site?

NINTENDO. Every game they make is worth the asking price. If you want length, there's bonuses, if you want challenge there's always the end game which always gets harder in most of their titles.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

I would agree. length of a game for me has never factored into my enjoyment. both journey and vanquish have extremely short campaigns, and they are two of my favorite games from last generation.

The whole length/price argument is not a factor for me, since I am successful, I have no qualms paying $60.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

Video games nowadays seems like they are more trying to justify the price by making games extremely long and repetitive.

What the ****?

Celtic makes sense, just fine. Essentially what he/she is saying is that developers will make a game longer just for the sake of having the ability to say "our game has 50 plus hours of gameplay"......but without putting much thought into its structure. And I complete agree with this statement. Long vs short does not mean hardcore vs casual, at all.

Look at Uncharted 2. Brilliant game, or at least to a LOT of people(so lets leave the people that didn't care for the actual gameplay out of it). Now, lets say we loved Uncharted 2. Would you rather have Uncharted 2 or one of the extremely mediocre third person shooter copy cat games that has 50 hours of gameplay? What the point of this thread is, is stressing that less thought is being put into a games design/structure in favor of hitting some points they can quote on a box.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

Celtic makes sense, just fine. Essentially what he/she is saying is that developers will make a game longer just for the sake of having the ability to say "our game has 50 plus hours of gameplay"......but without putting much thought into its structure. And I complete agree with this statement. Long vs short does not mean hardcore vs casual, at all.

Look at Uncharted 2. Brilliant game, or at least to a LOT of people(so lets leave the people that didn't care for the actual gameplay out of it). Now, lets say we loved Uncharted 2. Would you rather have Uncharted 2 or one of the extremely mediocre third person shooter copy cat games that has 50 hours of gameplay? What the point of this thread is, is stressing that less thought is being put into a games design/structure in favor of hitting some points they can quote on a box.

"this game would have been better if it would've been shorter" said no one ever. i mean, have you ever played a good game that has been ruined by the fact that it's too long? i haven't.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

@Jebus213: exactly what I was thinking

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45986 Posts

@gameofthering said:

I'd rather have a long amazing game than a short amazing game

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

I would agree. length of a game for me has never factored into my enjoyment. both journey and vanquish have extremely short campaigns, and they are two of my favorite games from last generation.

The whole length/price argument is not a factor for me, since I am successful, I have no qualms paying $60.

I thought you were banned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

"this game would have been better if it would've been shorter" said no one ever. i mean, have you ever played a good game that has been ruined by the fact that it's too long? i haven't.

I think you are missing the point.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p: What has your Caesar done that would warrant a ban?

I sometimes have other business to attend to, citizen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

i don't think i am. you are comparing Uncharted to some other more lengthy shitgame. you are missing the point. in that case, the length doesn't matter. shitgame is a shitgame, no matter how long or short. Uncharted would have been even greater if it would have been longer. that's the point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

no... he really isn't missing the point... the OP is.

I would be hard pressed to find even a fraction of the gamer population that considers a game like JOURNEY to be GOTY... and I'm betting simply on its lenght... a nice throw away experience, dwarfed by much bigger experiences.

Indie games are great, but the whole point makes no sense, as there are pleanty of repetitive crap and annoying indie games ect as well.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Welcome to The World of Padding and Crappy Filler Content !

Its the "Value for Money" type of thinking, I suppose its easier to value a game by length instead of by how much fun you had with it.....

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#28 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Within reason I would agree. Games like the new MGS are probably too short, though...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ groowagon

Uncharted was fun at 1st.... Then it dragged on and on and it made me sick.... It wouldve been a much better game if it was Shorter.

Samething in The Last Of Us ! Too Long they overstayed their welcome.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It's just a factor, and longer doesn't mean better. Still, I'm not paying full retail for a game I'll be done with in a couple sittings, so short games need to be priced appropriately. For example, Child of Light was an easy buy at $15.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Blame the idiots that complain when a game is "only" 15 hours long. Length and pacing, like lots of other areas, are things that need balance, even the best games usually screw it up at some point with an overly long section or a boss fight that drags on.

Obviously value plays a part too, even if you're game has a perfect 4 hour campaign $60 doesn't seem justified. That's the real problem with most retail games, they all get the same pricing whereas indie games cover a gamut of prices depending on their content (usually).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

i don't think i am. you are comparing Uncharted to some other more lengthy shitgame. you are missing the point. in that case, the length doesn't matter. shitgame is a shitgame, no matter how long or short. Uncharted would have been even greater if it would have been longer. that's the point.

You are answering the question, yourself. The concern is pushing length for the sake of pushing length.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

You are answering the question, yourself. The concern is pushing length for the sake of pushing length.

tell me an example of such game? wich game would be better if it was shorter? if you make a bad game longer, then yes, shit becomes a big shit, but in that case the problem is already in the bad quality of the game itself, rather than it's lenght.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Depends on the game and genre. I think some linear games and some RPG's are very guilty of padding (back and forth fetch missions are the absolute worst), but most RPG's I want to be long, I love open ended strategy games and sims, where I can dump a few 100 hrs in them. Alternatively games like FTL brilliantly combine a short play through with addictive gameplay.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#35 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Ya some of the best games are on the shorter side (Bastion, Guacamelee), but there are many great games on the longer side too. It's all based on gamer preference.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@gameofthering said:

I'd also wouldn't mind that but I've only ever had one game like that, Resident Evil 4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@groowagon said:

@Heirren said:

@Jebus213 said:
@Celtic_34 said:

What the ****?

tell me an example of such game? wich game would be better if it was shorter? if you make a bad game longer, then yes, shit becomes a big shit, but in that case the problem is already in the bad quality of the game itself, rather than it's lenght.

Current examples are tacked on single player experiences. There isn't much thought going into the campaigns. They are being thrown in there for the sake of having them. The topic isn't about a good game being long, but those that add tons of filler just, as I said before, to have the ability to make the claim, "our game has 50+ hours of gameplay."

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Celtic_34

I'd rather spend $60 on 4 indie games that are short but keep me entertained throughout vs a $60 game that bores me to death.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45986 Posts

@gameofthering said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@gameofthering said:

I'd also wouldn't mind that but I've only ever had one game like that, Resident Evil 4.

Shooters these days are short to me. Like 4-6 hours. There are some amazing shooters that are older than are 8 hours or longer.

Now, 8 hours isn't long... but it's long compared to what we have now. So in that regard I can name many games that are both lengthy and of great quality.

Of course quality will always > length. But they aren't mutual exclusive :)

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@speedfreak48t5p: What has your Caesar done that would warrant a ban?

I sometimes have other business to attend to, citizen.

^this annoying crap

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

I always wait for a price drop on every game. Never takes long and it's always the best way to pick up a few games for cheap. Makes no sense most games drop prices only a month or two after by at least ten beans.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

game length doesn't bother me, as long as the price matches the length. If one makes a 5 hour single player campaign and expects $60 dollars for it. They gotta be dreaming

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@musicalmac said:

Within reason I would agree. Games like the new MGS are probably too short, though...

That's not a game, it's a paid demo.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

Bad pacing can be very annoying. IMO (which is right) the Playstation Metal Gear Solid, regardless of pantomime plotlines or bad writing was superior to Metal Gear Solid 4 because it snipped down and moderately efficient. Metal Gear Solid 4 by comparison was a fucking mess and reviewers who praised it should have been immemorially fired.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The average game is shorter than it's ever been before.

Explain yourself.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Sorry, but if a RPG is under 30 hours, I'm not paying $60 for it. Xenoblade Chronicles was $50 and I got over 80 hours of enjoyment out of it. Completely worth it. Fire Emblem Awakening, $40, put in over 60 hours, completely worth it as well. Notice the trend, devs want you to pay $2 for every hour of enjoyment, but some of these great RPGs will give you charge you less than a dollar for every hour of enjoyment. I'll admit, RPGs need great battle systems and/or great stories for me to get hooked to their game and enjoy the ride.

Then there's Bravely Default, which said "f*** we need to extend the game" and then made chapters 5-8 a complete nightmare. I wasn't about to go through that much padding, it was completely more than necessary that ruined the game for most people.

There can be exceptions like South Park, which has to have a goal to make the player laugh consistently, if it were longer, it would be more of a challenge for the designers to keep the audience laughing.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bread_or_Decide

@bbkkristian said:

Sorry, but if a RPG is under 30 hours, I'm not paying $60 for it. Xenoblade Chronicles was $50 and I got over 80 hours of enjoyment out of it. Completely worth it. Fire Emblem Awakening, $40, put in over 60 hours, completely worth it as well. Notice the trend, devs want you to pay $2 for every hour of enjoyment, but some of these great RPGs will give you charge you less than a dollar for every hour of enjoyment. I'll admit, RPGs need great battle systems and/or great stories for me to get hooked to their game and enjoy the ride.

Then there's Bravely Default, which said "f*** we need to extend the game" and then made chapters 5-8 a complete nightmare. I wasn't about to go through that much padding, it was completely more than necessary that ruined the game for most people.

There can be exceptions like South Park, which has to have a goal to make the player laugh consistently, if it were longer, it would be more of a challenge for the designers to keep the audience laughing.

Good grief. I'd rather put 80 hours collectively into eight games then sink all that time into just one experience.

The most time I ever put into a game was Demons Souls (80 hours) and Skyrim (100 hours.)

Besides those two I prefer shorter games.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: sorry if I really love a game, I don't want it to end, or I want to last as long as possible.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

Games have to end... They need conclusions. Even the game with the best gameplay needs to know when to call it a day....