Game dev says they're ready to port PS5/XSX games to Switch.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18043 Posts

[SOURCE]

Virtuous's Elijah Freeman had this to say;

"We believe that 2020 will be the year of game-centric development, where players will expect as standard a consistency of experience with their favorite games. With the launch of the new Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 this year, developers need to strategize and plan for the game experience to be consistent across all platforms. At Virtuos we are charged up and full of talent that is ready to help bring these new games to the Nintendo Switch."

This is coming from the dev responsible for Switch ports of games like The Outer Worlds, L.A. Noire & Dark Souls Remastered.

Personally I guess I like the enthusiasm but find this sort of statement way too premature. Probably meant to get the word out for publishers interested in eventually having their games ported to Switch. One thing seems to be clear; Switch ports don't seem to be going away.

What are your thoughts?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Yea good luck with that.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

TRANSLATION:

Current gen games, only with a spit shine on PS5/XSX, easily ported to N-Switch.

Any dev saying this, is not in any what shape or form making a next gen game.

They would be making their games to the Xbox One spec, then upscale no different than whats done on PC with little to no utilization of the higher platforms actual capability other than burning off resources on extra frames and resolution.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10312 Posts

The early cross-gen titles maybe, after that I doubt it. Unless it's a game that is selling like crazy and they want it everywhere possible, so they might invest on a highly custom made Switch version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

But it's impossible, the PS5 hard drive will be too powerful!!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17937 Posts

@glez13 said:

The early cross-gen titles maybe, after that I doubt it. Unless it's a game that is selling like crazy and they want it everywhere possible, so they might invest on a highly custom made Switch version.

Yea that would make sense. if a game is getting a PS4/X1 version as well as a PS5/XSX version then a switch version will also be possible.

i suspect we will see a fairly long cross gen period to mitigate risk and spread the cost of development. MS is saying 2 years. so we could be waiting up to late 2022/early 2023 for EA, activision and co to move off the X1/PS4 completely (assuming a late 2020 launch for the PS5/XSX). i wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd parties wait even longer (though sales will be a big factor of course).

the switch was released in 2017 so by 2023 we could be looking at its successor. 5 years is usually around the time nintendo look to release a replacement. by march 2023 it will be 6 years old.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22467 Posts

@phbz: Lmao 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 71194 Posts

This is great news for Switch owners. I guess the Switch is going hold back next gen then. LOL

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40995 Posts

^This is the kind of games the Switch will be able to handle from the ps5/xsx. The shovelware that finds itself on ps store and xbl store.

Its funny to me that some believe the article when the most impressive port from current gen, a game released 5 years ago, looks this bad on the Switch. Just awful.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Current ports are running on settings lower than low at at 500-600p at 30FPS...

So unless he is talking about 2D platforms the answer is I don't believe it will be possible.

480p 25FPS is not something I care about experiencing.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

The switch will be fine, I expect a switch pro within first 2 years of next gen.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

[SOURCE]

"We believe that 2020 will be the year of game-centric development, where players will expect as standard a consistency of experience with their favorite games. With the launch of the new Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 this year, developers need to strategize and plan for the game experience to be consistent across all platforms. At Virtuos we are charged up and full of talent that is ready to help bring these new games to the Nintendo Switch."

This is coming from the dev responsible for Switch ports of games like The Outer Worlds, L.A. Noire & Dark Souls Remastered.

Personally I guess I like the enthusiasm but find this sort of statement way too premature. Probably meant to get the word out for publishers interested in eventually having their games ported to Switch. One thing seems to be clear; Switch ports don't seem to be going away.

What are your thoughts?

GeForce 920M says Hi.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@jeezers said:

The switch will be fine, I expect a switch pro within first 2 years of next gen.

Which is guaranteed to not even reach the original Xbone specs, which, in two years, will be laughable (not like they aren't already).

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Probably just goes to show that the so-called leap in graphic next gen is going to be more about resolution and frame rate and not so much on actually improving the graphic... honestly at this point I would much prefer the devs to actually focus on gameplay rather than graphic, of course that is going to be hard for Sony when 95% of their games are walking sims...

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

That's the funniest thing I've read today, thanks OP.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@jeezers: The switch will be fine, I dont think any of is sayoin otherwise. But to think it could handle ps5/XseX games is laughable.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7377 Posts

They can but at what cost missing textures and running at 10fps. The switch will be ok for the next couple of years but beyond that when the new systems have bedded in it will be very outdated tech.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

They'll probably release a more powerful model in a year or two like they did with the 3DS, so might get some of the less demanding third-party titles.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Great, i look forward to playing next gen games at 480p / 30fps on the switch...

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

One word: 12 freaking Terraflopppps, boiiiii.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lebanese_boy

@i_p_daily: Much obliged lol.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lebanese_boy
@hardwenzen said:
@jeezers said:

Which is guaranteed to not even reach the original Xbone specs, which, in two years, will be laughable (not like they aren't already).

To be fair these are just assumptions so far, for all we know the successor of the Switch may be even more powerful than a PS4 (and years away from launching).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@lebanese_boy said:
@hardwenzen said:
@jeezers said:

To be fair these are just assumptions so far, for all we know the successor of the Switch may be even more powerful than a PS4 (and years away from launching).

They're assumptions, but not random ones. This is how Nintendo been rolling for many years straight. It worked for them. Don't fix what's not broken.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lebanese_boy

@hardwenzen: True, but on the other hand Nintendo proved they can listen sometimes with the Switch with devs having an input on some of the design choices of the console (like the amount of RAM) which, as far as I know, is uncharacteristic of them. I'm a bit optimistic; I don't expect a powerhouse but I have a feeling Nintendo will have a few surprises up their sleeves.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50860 Posts

Sounds like an ad

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58845 Posts

I am all in favor of ports, multiplatform games, and less focus on exclusivity.

Might as well crossplay in there, too; would love to see more crossplay support. I've been enjoying the hell out of the recent Call of Duty and I can't help but feel I owe most of that to the fact I can play on PC with my friends who are on PS4; I generally hate CoD games.

@lebanese_boy said:

[SOURCE]

"We believe that 2020 will be the year of game-centric development...

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? I'll believe it when I see it.

With the continuing trend of games-as-service, I am afraid most development will be profit-at-the-consumer's-expense-centric.

It's not all bad; independent game development continues to take a decent percentage away from alleged-AAA development every year. It might be we are simply experiencing the death rattle of these larger, publicly-traded companies, and pretty soon we really will have game-centric development.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7388 Posts

this is why im getting a ps5 because first party devs do not need to worry about old gen systems were xbox studios for the first 2 years need make sure it runs on an old system with a hard drive.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1013 Posts

Not a big deal. Any developer can make a port of a next gen game no matter how fancy the PS5/XSX versions are, and call it a legit version. I can claim I have Bloodborne 2 running on the PS2 and no matter how downgraded and awful it is, technically it would be Bloodborne 2.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9761 Posts

Lol.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

And the switch versions will be horribly downgraded to get them running on the damn thing.

The switch is struggling with PS4/Xbone ports. Stuff like Wolfenstein 2 is in 480i or lower with 15fps and lowered everything graphically.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@ButDuuude said:

One word: 12 freaking Terraflopppps, boiiiii.

There are 921.6 GFLOPS at 3.6Ghz and 972.8 GFLOPS at 3.8 Ghz from XSX's CPU.

Zen 2 CPU's AVX 2 is GPU style gather instruction capable i.e. mass data fetch from a single instruction call from the memory address list.