Funny SMG review from a CNET tech journalist. 7/10

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ExilRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ExilRock
Member since 2007 • 375 Posts

Have a lol after the link...

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9823074-17.html

The best part of it all... he thinks SMS is the best Mario game to date... lmao

sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
It's a blog. Besides, some guy on Gamefaqs gave it a 4.
KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KingOfKonging
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

That makes sense though, he's a tech journalist. Technically, Galaxy is very unimpressive (the Wii doesn't have the technical muscle of the other two.)

He's a tech journalist, not a game reviewer.

No one is claiming Galaxy looks like Gears of War or is a technical showpiece.. It's not that kind of game.

ExilRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ExilRock

That makes sense though, he's a tech journalist. Technically, Galaxy is very unimpressive (the Wii doesn't have the technical muscle of the other two.)

He's a tech journlist, not a game reviewer.

KingOfKonging
ok, so... as long as a game is pretty he can give it a 20/10? What about that thing called "fun"
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts

That has to be a joke...

He said he hated reading through a bunch of text bubbles...But the only time there is text bubbles is in the 5 minute introduction...

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#7 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy is incredable.It's one of the best reasons to own a Wii.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Why listen to some nerd ranting about a game where there's more masterpieces than a museum with the Mona Lisa, the Stature of David, and Pablo Picasso paintings? He'll never appreciate art when he's more impressed by how many pixels are in a game.
KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KingOfKonging
[QUOTE="KingOfKonging"]

He's a tech journlist, not a game reviewer.

ExilRock

ok, so... as long as a game is pretty he can give it a 20/10? What about that thing called "fun"

Yes, if you're a tech person... not if you're a video game reviewer.

Galaxy is not technically impressive, if you're a tech analyst or are only concerned about technical aspects of a game then Galaxy is not going to impress. If you actually care about playing video games for what they are then Galaxy will blow you away.

ImError88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 ImError88
Member since 2007 • 653 Posts

I like how he says "Don't Believe the Hype", like he thinks his opinion is somehow more valuble than the 50+ review sites that praised the game.

It's his opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

ExilRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ExilRock
Why listen to some nerd ranting about a game where there's more masterpieces than a museum with the Mona Lisa, the Stature of David, and Pablo Picasso paintings? He'll never appreciate art when he's more impressed by how many pixels are in a game.hiphops_savior
heh, now that you mention it... he never talked about the art design or level design... wow.
KingOfKonging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KingOfKonging

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Why listen to some nerd ranting about a game where there's more masterpieces than a museum with the Mona Lisa, the Stature of David, and Pablo Picasso paintings? He'll never appreciate art when he's more impressed by how many pixels are in a game.ExilRock
heh, now that you mention it... he never talked about the art design or level design... wow.

If he's a tech analyst, of course he didn't.

Dude, he's a ploygon counter.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
... did he seriously just say Resident Evil 4 has better graphics than SMG? Did he seriously just compare SMG graphically to games circa 2001? Was he playing the same game as me?
QuasidodoJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 QuasidodoJr
Member since 2004 • 474 Posts
His talk about the graphics was exaggerated, and while I don't agree with his score of 7, I also thought SMG was just a good game and not an "awesome" game. I've never really been into Mario-style platformers, though.
ZeldaMaster32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZeldaMaster32
Member since 2005 • 9263 Posts

I stopped reading after the sentence containing "...lack of beauty."

Some blogger trying to get attention.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
What a horrible review. All he did was say 'This game is ugly. I hate the story it stops me from p[laying the game (what? There's 5 minute introduction :|). I don't like shaking my wrist'. What a joke, he doesn't even explain himself.
xDonRobx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xDonRobx
Member since 2007 • 1586 Posts

I don't even want to read. You posted that he thinks SMS is the best Mario game..

QuasidodoJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 QuasidodoJr
I always find it funny when Nintendo fans can't believe that someone doesn't like one of the Mario, Zelda or Metroid games as much as they do, and then they talk about how the Halo series really isn't that good. Yes, this happens with fans of all consoles, but you might want to think before you make any hypocritical posts.
nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts
Though I don't think SMG was the best Mario game ever, he's being very pessimistic. Most of the blog was "I wanted this, but got this".
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts
Well its his opinion..
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
It's hard to take someone seriously when they claim sunshine was the high point of the mario franchise.
QuasidodoJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 QuasidodoJr
It's hard to take someone seriously when they claim sunshine was the high point of the mario franchise.goblaa
Because he's not allowed to have an opinion that's different from the norm? Damn anyone who thinks for themselves, eh?
Avatar image for Solid_Snake1221
Solid_Snake1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Solid_Snake1221
Member since 2004 • 8658 Posts
That review is pitiful.
TheEndBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 TheEndBoss
Member since 2007 • 856 Posts

He has an opinion.

That being said, I think it's a very bad one. He complained about the graphics which have almost unanimously been called great from an artistic standpoint, excluding the Variety review where they had the gall to compare the graphics to Ratchet and Clank Future. He alos complained about the story, which was never a big factor in Mario games. Furthermore, his only complaint about the gameplay was that it didn't utilize the Wii remote.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]It's hard to take someone seriously when they claim sunshine was the high point of the mario franchise.QuasidodoJr
Because he's not allowed to have an opinion that's different from the norm? Damn anyone who thinks for themselves, eh?

Don't get me wrong, I looooved sunshine. But you would have to be fully baked to ignore the wonky eratic camera, the awful level design, and the flat presentation.

nyoroism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nyoroism
Member since 2007 • 3778 Posts

[QUOTE="QuasidodoJr"][QUOTE="goblaa"]It's hard to take someone seriously when they claim sunshine was the high point of the mario franchise.goblaa

Don't get me wrong, I looooved sunshine. But you would have to be fully baked to ignore the wonky eratic camera, the awful level design, and the flat presentation.

Level design was awesome!
QuasidodoJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 QuasidodoJr
That review is pitiful.Solid_Snake1221
It's not a review. It's some guys blog rant. If he were writing a professional, and official, review, then you might have a valid reason for trashing it. However, it's just him posting his personal, very biased opinion about a personal experience with an extremely hyped video game.
Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts

He's a tech journalist, not a game reviewer.

No one is claiming Galaxy looks like Gears of War or is a technical showpiece.. It's not that kind of game.

KingOfKonging

That's no excuse at all. Artistically, it's really impressive and it's got awesome gameplay...

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
[QUOTE="goblaa"]It's hard to take someone seriously when they claim sunshine was the high point of the mario franchise.QuasidodoJr

So, if you happen to agree with the majority, than you aren't thinking for yourself? :| Speaking of close-minded...
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
He specifically says that it's a bad thing that the Mario games are always about gameplay. :|
Khanezhyray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Khanezhyray
Member since 2005 • 901 Posts

Have a lol after the link...

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9823074-17.html

The best part of it all... he thinks SMS is the best Mario game to date... lmao

ExilRock

Opinions are automatically wrong because of sheep now?

lmao.

My point is-- No matter how "Good" critics think a game is, there will always be people who dislike it. Hell, I'll be the first to admit Oblivion was a great game, but I hated it.

SMG's a tad more deserving than a 7/10, but I suppose it helps balance out the outrageous 9.5/10, 10/10, and 11/10's it's gotten. I still stand by my belief that it's a solid 8.0-8.5 game.

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

Dude are you his brother or something? Why are you being so defensive? And you are really being a hypocrite, the people in this forum are allowed their opinion just as much as he is. And anytime you blog something, you know you want people to read it, so you should be open to people agreeing and disagreeing with you.

I have yet to play the game myself, so I don't know if its good or not (been playing too much Medal of Honor Heroes 2). But I did have to laugh when he compared the game to RE4.....