uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59078 Posts

Good news for freeloaders who can't be bothered booting up Bittorrent, another game free in Epics bid to dethrone Steam, which isn't working.

Something of a minor hit, selling at least 3 million units.

Store’s new free title is Frostpunk, with another ‘mystery game’ due next week

his week’s free Epic Games Store title is Frostpunk.

Titles included in the marketplace’s weekly free games promotion are traditionally revealed a week before they’re made available, but for the third week running Epic kept the identity of the latest one a mystery.

11 bit studios’ Frostpunk replaces Among Us, which was free to download from May 27 to June 3.

The “society survival game”, which normally costs £23.99 on Epic’s marketplace, will also be replaced by another “mystery game” on June 10.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Ahh, the Dark Souls™ of RTS.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

Great game and definitely recommend people to try it out!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

A great game that I would play if I didn't suck ass at strategy games.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

Good game, recommend giving it a try

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

cool i'll grab it, one of those games i've been meaning to try for years but never got around to

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 947 Posts

People complaint about epic but truth is some of these free games are trully nice while steam gives jack sh*t to its most loyal fanbase. I've a huge steam library but I already purchased some games on epic just to support the platform. I prefer free games over a better "ecosystem" tbh

Saying this, I will still say that I dont support the money hating strategy for exclusives on the epic store

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

That's great

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@vatususreturns said:

People complaint about epic but truth is some of these free games are trully nice while steam gives jack sh*t to its most loyal fanbase. I've a huge steam library but I already purchased some games on epic just to support the platform. I prefer free games over a better "ecosystem" tbh

Saying this, I will still say that I dont support the money hating strategy for exclusives on the epic store

Steam literally just gave away Little Nightmares and Company of Heroes 2.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

That makes 47 games I've gotten free from the Epic Store now. Granted, they were games I wouldn't have purchased anyway and I have yet to even download the launcher and play them, but still, props where they are due.

Them paying to keep games off other storefronts (and not just steam but GOG too) is still a disgusting practice, though, so I have no plans to reward epic with my money.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

@Postosuchus said:

That makes 47 games I've gotten free from the Epic Store now. Granted, they were games I wouldn't have purchased anyway and I have yet to even download the launcher and play them, but still, props where they are due.

Epic paying to keep games off other storefronts (and not just Steam but GOG too) is still a disgusting practice, though, so I have no plans to reward Epic with my money.

Even if these storefronts give out free games, I had to wonder whether they do them so to distract gamers from their questionable practices.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59078 Posts

I doubt Epic even takes that into account. It's mainly the Publishers who get the brunt through review bombing and probably have almost 0 effect on sales. They also get money from Epic, for which Epic itself bleeds as revealed recently.

Would guess more likely to create attachment. If you just start collecting stuff, anything, and engage with it over a period of time through a service, becomes more than just another piece of software, or hardware. Breeds familiarity, which our brains like, a lot.

Only need to see the deciples here defending $70 for their Sony gawds.

Either way, free shit is free shit. It's a good business tactic for us, although debatable if it's actually working.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Cool.

I mean, the game was in a <$10 Humble Choice offer back in February 2020, alongside Pathfinder Kingmaker, Okami, and some other great games...but this is really nice for those who missed out on it a year and a half ago?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

Never understood the rabid loyalty to Steam. Epic has given me many more games for free.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 947 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vatususreturns said:

Steam literally just gave away Little Nightmares and Company of Heroes 2.

I dont think it was valve who paid the devs to give them, the devs did probably to promote sequels like in the case of little nightmares. Epic however, is paying devs to put their games free on their store for us all to enjoy. I can commend that

Steam free games are very situational and for the most part... not very good. Most epic free games were very well received and are recent games many want to play not games from the 90's like EA origin gave. Frostpunk is just one example but now I have a epic library full of great games which most I havent paid a dime for. Also they usually give $10 coupons in special ocasions to use on the store. recently I bought Dead Cells for only $5 using such a coupon. When it comes to the user benefit, epic has been better than Steam imo