[From Software] Elden Ring sold more than 12M copies, including 1M in Japan (Horizon who?)

• 80 results
Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

As of March 14, 2022

No microtransactions, no endless amount of cutscenes, not 8 versions with different shit DLC's, just a game. From didn't betray their design philosophy and gave the middle finger to people clamoring for an easy mode.

Those who said Horizon Forbidden West would outsell Elden Ring are turning out to be wrong. Of course, Sony couldn't hope to make a game anywhere near as good as Elden Ring. Only Nintendo can. Now let's see if Starfield can complete.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11268 Posts

@Juub1990: Elden Ring is one of my top 10 (maybe top 5) favourite games of all time, but come on lol, Sony has already made two games on par or superior to Elden Ring. The Last of Us: Part I & The Last of Us Part II. the former winning game of the decade and the latter will go toe for toe with Elden Ring and the end of '20s for GOTD.

God of War isn't far off either. GOW:Ragnarok will be near it in quality though my prediction is that Elden Ring remains superior

That Starfield junk however will be no where near as good as Elden Ring. nor anywhere near the level of TLOU1-2, GOW/GOWR, other FromSoft games etc.

It'll be lucky if its consider as good as Cyberpunk.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46272 Posts

This one popular game sold ever so slightly worse than this other massively popular game response thread.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990
@Mozelleple112 said:

@Juub1990: Sony has already made two games on par or superior to Elden Ring. The Last of Us: Part I & The Last of Us Part II..

Movie-games are automatically disqualified from contention.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Worst of all the Twitch views for HFW are very low at 1.1k while ER is up at over 90k and we all know how important that metric is.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

What does Cyberpunk have to do with this?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Juub1990

@Litchie said:

What does Cyberpunk have to do with this?

You will never speak of this to anyone.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

lol

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Juub1990: Elden Ring is one of my top 10 (maybe top 5) favourite games of all time, but come on lol, Sony has already made two games on par or superior to Elden Ring. The Last of Us: Part I & The Last of Us Part II. the former winning game of the decade and the latter will go toe for toe with Elden Ring and the end of '20s for GOTD.

God of War isn't far off either. GOW:Ragnarok will be near it in quality though my prediction is that Elden Ring remains superior

That Starfield junk however will be no where near as good as Elden Ring. nor anywhere near the level of TLOU1-2, GOW/GOWR, other FromSoft games etc.

It'll be lucky if its consider as good as Cyberpunk.

One of your top favorite games of all time? Did you just start gaming a month ago or something?

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Woah that's crazy I was wrong. Congrats fromsoft there shit is no longer niche. They just needed to go ubisoft with there philosophy to hit big. The price to acquire them has just gone up.

I can see sony rushing that bloodborne pc port. Teh open world and pc gaming must have carried fromsoft this time around.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Juub1990
@ellos said:

Woah that's crazy I was wrong. Congrats fromsoft there shit is no longer niche. They just needed to go ubisoft with there philosophy to hit big. There price has just gone up.

I can see sony rushing that bloodborne pc port. Teh open world and pc gaming must have carried fromsoft this time around.

Didn't their games completely stop being niche when Dark Souls III hit 10M sold?

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@Juub1990 said:
@ellos said:

Woah that's crazy I was wrong. Congrats fromsoft there shit is no longer niche. They just needed to go ubisoft with there philosophy to hit big. There price has just gone up.

Didn't their games completely stop being niche when Dark Souls III hit 10M sold?

Yeah kinda I suppose but that's nothing these days. Games sell more then that mostly on single platform. I suppose that showed they were on there way.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#13 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

That's more-or-less what I was expecting, considering the early Steam sales estimates in its first week:

Elden Ring estimated to have sold more than 5 million units on Steam

Looks like it sold 12 million in 18 days. That's pretty phenomenal. It's now one of the fastest-selling RPGs, along with Pokemon and Cyberpunk 2077.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

RIP Horizon 😟

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Holy HELL!

For reference, as of 2020, Dark Souls Trilogy had sold a total of 27 million copies. This is almost halfway there after a month!

Hate to say it (and I really do) but it seems Bloodborne is becoming the black sheep from the looks of it😬

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

So disappointed by these younger gamerz and their poor taste in gaming. ;o

Where did we go wrong Tom? lol :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Lmao, TC really has Sony envy. PS5 lives in his head rent free 😄

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Mediocre games like Horizon or Far Cry will always do just fine. But I'm surprised and happy by ER numbers. They are deserved.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I said it was a bad idea to release Horizon Forbidden West in the same month, then GT7 the next month...

There is no reason to bunch all these games together.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7162 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

As of March 14, 2022

No microtransactions, no endless amount of cutscenes, not 8 versions with different shit DLC's, just a game. From didn't betray their design philosophy and gave the middle finger to people clamoring for an easy mode.

Those who said Horizon Forbidden West would outsell Elden Ring are turning out to be wrong. Of course, Sony couldn't hope to make a game anywhere near as good as Elden Ring. Only Nintendo can. Now let's see if Starfield can complete.

multiplat vs exclusive to ps4 and ps5. no brainer

beside hzd2 is a great game as well.

ps5 owner = win.

get to play both best versions of each game.

so again its a win for sony.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Congrats to From Software on delivering the goods with this game. It’ll be interesting to see what their next game will be.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: Wasn't Elden Ring delayed though? I don't think it was meant to be on purpose

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

This simply shows the power of hype and marketing.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Elden Ring isn't some dark horse; it was the most anticipated game at The Game Awards (and many others) literally two years in a row. It beat out every game that's supposed to release this year including GoW and, Starfield.

Also, why do people always compare it to Horizon like it's a zero sum game? PlayStation folks can play both.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

It was half the normal price at launch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@Nonstop-Madness said:

Elden Ring isn't some dark horse; it was the most anticipated game at The Game Awards (and many others) literally two years in a row. It beat out every game that's supposed to release this year including GoW and, Starfield.

Also, why do people always compare it to Horizon like it's a zero sum game? PlayStation folks can play both.

That part makes no sense to me either. Horizon is doing its own thing and so is ER. They both did well on their launch day.

@HalcyonScarlet said:

I said it was a bad idea to release Horizon Forbidden West in the same month, then GT7 the next month...

There is no reason to bunch all these games together.

To be fair, Elden Ring was intended to launch late January 2022 but got push to Feb 2022 instead and Forbidden West was already set on it's release date but no one predicted ER would get a month delay so that took by surprised for most gamers. Forbidden West went gold before ER got a delay notice.

Sadly, Forbidden West sales is gonna be tight for being just a Sony's console PS4/PS5 and it should have release on PC same day if they need those sales and Zero Dawn sales on PC prove they made more money than on consoles. We saw ER got the most sales on Steam.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Well deserved success. Starfield won't be able to compete, it will make Elden Ring look optimized.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@fedor said:

Well deserved success. Starfield won't be able to compete, it will make Elden Ring look optimized.

It would be awkward if you are wrong.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@Pedro said:
@fedor said:

It would be awkward if you are wrong.

Im willing to take this risk.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I actually thought HFW would outsell it because of Sony's marketing. Turns out, when the game is THIS good, word of mouth is THE marketing.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

As of March 14, 2022

That's simply not true.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Juub1990

@dabear: Of course, it is. All Sony does are cinematic games with no depth to their gameplay.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:

@dabear: Of course, it is. All Sony does are cinematic games with no depth to their gameplay.

The Last of Us games is one thing I can agree with, but not all Sony games are created equal. Ghost of Tsushima comes to mind which I think was a nice break IMO.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

No one wants to play boring Sony story games. Gamers have been starving for a game to play for years, now we finally have one.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

It's a multiplat that's on everything except for Switch. Go figure.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts
@davillain said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

That part makes no sense to me either. Horizon is doing its own thing and so is ER. They both did well on their launch day.

To be fair, Elden Ring was intended to launch late January 2022 but got push to Feb 2022 instead and Forbidden West was already set on it's release date but no one predicted ER would get a month delay so that took by surprised for most gamers. Forbidden West went gold before ER got a delay notice.

Sadly, Forbidden West sales is gonna be tight for being just a Sony's console PS4/PS5 and it should have release on PC same day if they need those sales and Zero Dawn sales on PC prove they made more money than on consoles. We saw ER got the most sales on Steam.

Horizon Forbidden West is getting mocked because Playstation fanboys tend to overhype their own exclusives. Cows acted like HFW was going to be a 90+ MC GOTY game and in the end within days after launching it gets completely overshadowed by Elden Ring. If you check out Twitter and youtube you'll find angry PlayStation fans and even Playstation developers trying to damage control by saying Elden Ring is a bad game and From Software is mediocre/overrated. This is hilarious because it shows their double standards because when some of the soulsborne games were exclusive (Demon's Souls and Bloodborne) they were hyped up to the heavens by Playstation fans but since Elden Ring is even better than those games, it is multiplat, and overshadows a big PlayStation exclusive that makes them incredibly salty and soulsborne games are now overrated and boring.

Loading Video...

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mesome713

@NoodleFighter: Cows are the saddest bunch. I bet those sad cows are reason Elden Rings fan score is so low.

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Oof85
Member since 2021 • 78 Posts

@dabear:

The only studio Sony had which could outdo From is Team Ico and they no longer exist.

Everyone else left is a studio that prioritizes cinematic flairs over analog actions.

Ssm, Nd, GG, etc the list goes on.

They don't make gamey ass games. They're too self important for that.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@oof85 said:

@dabear:

The only studio Sony had which could outdo From is Team Ico and they no longer exist.

Everyone else left is a studio that prioritizes cinematic flairs over analog actions.

Ssm, Nd, GG, etc the list goes on.

They don't make gamey ass games. They're too self important for that.

I don't agree with that. Sony churns out a lot of AAA titles. You and I may not like them, but they are AAA games nonetheless. If Playground Games can go from Forza Horizon games to Fable, Naughty Dog could create an open world RPG.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

People hate Starfield already... no where near the pre-release boner that Elden Ring had.

Its already lost, people are frothing at the mouth to make a compilation of bugs they hope are in Starfield. Youtube will be tripping over themselves to make a video as soon as a weapon clips a space ship.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

The weirdest thing in this entire thread is how people are acting like Playstation users were out in droves saying HFW was going to outsell ER. I own HFW and I have no interest in ER at all, yet I knew ER would outsell it. Even my other gamer friends who aren't playing it all expected ER to do better. The unfortunate thing for Sony is the timing of these releases.

It's like there is suddenly this narrative out there where ER came out of nowhere. The game was massively hyped, and, thankfully, it lived up to that hype. It's multiplatform too. Of course, it's outsold HFW lol. However...if you are a PS user you can play both. Not sure why there would be a sense of competition there.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

I think G.R.R Martin's name has something to do with it. Most people didn't know what were his contributions but just his name alone is enough to have this game on their radar.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

I think G.R.R Martin's name has something to do with it. Most people didn't know what were his contributions but just his name alone is enough to have this game on their radar.

But of course. He hasn't done shit, only there for marketing. And before someone says "bu but he wrote the back story of the world" bish please, miyazaki did the same or better job in the dark souls series and BB.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mesome713

@pc_rocks: Yeah, Martin helped a bunch. Everyone I know was talking about this being the Game of Thrones game. Which makes sense, it does have that GoTs feel. And the story actually makes sense, unlike other Fromsoft games. You can tell Martin helped with the story.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

As of March 14, 2022

Remember when Juub and xbox guys said bloodborne was "niche" 12 million ain't niche your a niche person

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pedro

@zerothehero said:

Remember when Juub and xbox guys said bloodborne was "niche" 12 million ain't niche your a niche person

You know that Elden Ring is the subject not Bloodborne right?😂

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@Pedro said:
@zerothehero said:

You know that Elden Ring is the subject not Bloodborne right?😂

Technically last reported in 2018, that is the correct amount of users played bloodborne.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

@Juub1990: Sony has made a game on Elden rings level.. its called God of War.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

Great thing about owning a PS5 is i played both. Put about 40 hours into HFW and i got about 50 hours into ER.

Oof85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Oof85
Member since 2021 • 78 Posts

@silentchief:

Gow18? The one that starts off with a funneled funeral/axechopping/log carrying thing that's basically an extended qte?

Nope. Two entirely different design philosophies.

I'm not saying Gow18 is a bad game, but it's cinematic flairs are priority due to the focus on presentation.

It's not a gamey ass game the way ER or BOTW is.

It's more in line with Rdrd2, which has the cinematic flairs and rigid mission structures of a much older game.