FPS Space Shooter

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RahnAetas (1834 posts) -

Although your traditional FPS is all well and good, I don't see too many space shooters with multiplayer tied to it.  I somewhat miss the "FPS" of a space shooter like what you get from Wing Commander.  I know there are some more 'recent' games under this genre, but none of them come to mind really.  There's like StarFox, but that's still restricted by an up/down orientation for the most part.

I think there's some potential in having space dogfights, but it would have to be about the presentation of how it would be conducted.  Instead of open space it would probably have to be on huge space stations (I end up thinking about the Gundam universe and their massive space colonies), as well as larger battleships and carriers. 

Certainly traditional FPS get a lot of attention, and I can see why since fighting in true 3D space provides a lot of problems, mostly that of not really being unable to corner people and that there would be far less point and shoot since it'd have to be fly at them and shoot.  Seems the whole concept would be better tied to co-op or more of a Counterstrike scenario, with one set of players out to blow up an installation, the others to defend it.

At any rate, it seems to me that most games that are 'space' related end up being trapped on a 2D plane anyways.

#2 Posted by Lazy_Boy88 (7418 posts) -
Well there's PLENTY of sci-fi themed shooters that's for sure. But as for cockpit view space shooters aside from the X series there haven't been any since the late 90s..... the genre just never penetrated the mainstream. And I'm sure if anyone did one now it would be so simplistic and mediocre to appeal to the mainstream idiots. Homeworld does a good job of 3d space RTS though.
#3 Posted by RahnAetas (1834 posts) -

Well there's PLENTY of sci-fi themed shooters that's for sure. But as for cockpit view space shooters aside from the X series there haven't been any since the late 90s..... the genre just never penetrated the mainstream. And I'm sure if anyone did one now it would be so simplistic and mediocre to appeal to the mainstream idiots. Homeworld does a good job of 3d space RTS though.Lazy_Boy88

I think there's always been a lot of unexplored potential in this territory, but no one has yet to touch into it.  Then again, maybe it's just that I'd rather strafe turrets on some massive battleship or space installation than strafe some other guy a few yards from me.  That or do my best to lose a tail, or to try and match the evasive manuvers to avoid my firing at them.  A change of pace at least.

#4 Posted by AdrianWerner (28440 posts) -
Well..there was X3 and last year DarkStarOne was released(great game). Upcoming scheudle also looks preety nice. Space sims are making slow, but visible come back
#6 Posted by RahnAetas (1834 posts) -

I'd love to see an updated FPS WW1 with planes or even in space. The on-line potential could be fun and they could make the maps constricted. Instead of strafing, jumping and duck/cover, you'd have to do intricate moves in-order to avoid dying.roulettethedog

I think for a 3D space shooter it would have to be about customizing your ship to do what you want it to, as opposed to everyone runs around with the same thing and then looking for powerups.  I invision stuff about picking manuverablity vs sheer firepower, speed vs armor/duriblity.  Do you want a larger ship with turrets and heavy shielding, or do you want a quick light fighter to deal light damage and be able to avoid most damage.  Pick weak quick firing weapons, or slower harder hitting ones? 

Once all that's done everyone just have at each other, and be able to modify their ships to their liking depending on their success or failures with it.  In a FPS everyone has their favorite weapon and tries to go for those, in this way people would just have their favorite sets of attributes put into their ship.

#8 Posted by XaosII (16705 posts) -
Everything you have said, Rahn, has been pretty standard in most space combat sims on the PC for atleast 4 or 5 years. Take a look at some of them.
#9 Posted by adders99 (2623 posts) -
Halo 3??
#10 Posted by Bchmedic28 (115 posts) -

They recently had Star Trek Legacy released I think it had online multiplayer. Wing Commander is getting released as a multiplayer only game for the 360 here soon. Just give me another Star Control and I will be happy!!!

#11 Posted by evil_naruto08 (208 posts) -
star trek games usually suck. i say keep the shooters on earth.