Forbes.com article advocates game piracy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

Because it's cheaper.

"Of course, you could just as easily (and much more cheaply) fire it up in an emulator"

"Ive tried it, and its definitely a tough little game from what Ive played. Certainly it would play better with a gamepad rather than a keyboard, but beyond that I cant see much reason to pay full price for the title, especially since many emulators will allow you to use a controller with games that support them."

---

How to save money 101. Very professional and well thought out from the author... oh wait.

Look past the fact that we may be used to emulating old software which is no longer in circulation on emulators, things like Virtual Console changed this a bit later on. This is software released in 2013 and platform is irrelevant.

Gamespot's best reviewer, Kevin VanOrd commented (sorry I can't verify if it's him on that website, but he could let us know here if not):

So its ok to steal the game since it costs $60 and most people dont have an SNES anymore anyway, and you could emulate it before anyway. Got it.

For what its worth, the games audience, by nature, owns Super Nintendos. There is a small but thriving development scene still making games for older consoles, and newly released hardware like the Retron is specifically designed to play SNES and Genesis cartridges. To suggest that its ok to emulate the game rather than pay for the product because no one has an SNES anymore (as seen in the comments) is irresponsible and ignorant of the resurgence in popularity of classic consoles, the games still being made for them, and the new machines being created to play older games.

The entire fifth paragraph plainly states that there is no reason to pay for a $60 game when you could just play it for free. Thats grossly irresponsible, legality aside; I expect that kind of statement in a fanboy forum post, not on Forbes. That you cannot see why that is so boggles my mind. The industry is hurting; suggesting that people save $60 and emulate a game instead only does further harm. Kevin VanOrd

#2 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

That's ghastly coming from Forbes.com

What's next? An article about how best to conceal your methamphetamine habit?

[spoiler] Actually that would really help me out ... [/spoiler]

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#3 Posted by darkspineslayer (22393 posts) -
Forbes is the Internet version of a tabloid as far as I'm concerned. Not to be taken seriously. I agree with "Kevin" that you quoted.
#4 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -

I'm sorry, I'm not very familiar with Forbes. Either way I expect the author to be a little more professional, sounds like an adolescent saying how it's stupid to pay for games when you can pirate them for free.

#5 Posted by LordQuorthon (5677 posts) -

Emulation? D:

angry-mob.jpg

#6 Posted by 1080pOnly (2216 posts) -

Emulation and piracy are fine, to a degree. Why should I buy a game I've already bought just because I want to play it on another device? Why shouldn't I download a game that doesn't have a demo if I want to try before I buy?

Stealing for no good reason isn't cool but circumventing the scams put in place to milk money from us by multi-nillion dollar corps is. Imo.

#7 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

piracy is good for the industry and for us.

#8 Posted by Heil68 (57720 posts) -
Forbes Thought Of The Day It is easy to be generous with other people's money. Latin proverb lol
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
#9 Posted by deactivated-58b6232955e4a (15594 posts) -
Who cares
#10 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
Who cares SAGE_OF_FIRE
Me.
#11 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

The article was updated to iterate that the game has been available via emulators for some time, while only now getting an official release. It seems his point was more towards the game being released after 15 years of development limbo with a $60 price tag when the game isn't actually new.

Of course, I remember super nintendo games being more expensive than $60, so maybe one could see this price tag as a discount.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#12 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30824 posts) -
The article has been heavily edited now, the author saying he in no way supports piracy. Plus these "articles" on Forbes aren't much more than blogs. They aren't by staff of Forbes and often get quoted in SW as if they are.
#13 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -
Forbes is like the Daily Mail. Makes for great fillings for the litter box.
#14 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
The article has been heavily edited now, the author saying he in no way supports piracy. Plus these "articles" on Forbes aren't much more than blogs. They aren't by staff of Forbes and often get quoted in SW as if they are.blue_hazy_basic
Articles by "contributors" appear on the main page. But yes, he has updated it now anyway.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#15 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30824 posts) -
[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]The article has been heavily edited now, the author saying he in no way supports piracy. Plus these "articles" on Forbes aren't much more than blogs. They aren't by staff of Forbes and often get quoted in SW as if they are.SaltyMeatballs
Articles by "contributors" appear on the main page. But yes, he has updated it now anyway.

I don't disagree, but the articles they provide vary wildly in standards and accuracy. I'm not saying they are all junk, simply that each one should be judged on its own and its authors merits.
Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
#17 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

I don't think Mr. Erik Kain is going to have a very good day.

Habits like this should be kept in the basement, the same way you would beat your red headed step child.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
#18 Posted by deactivated-58b6232955e4a (15594 posts) -

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]Who cares SaltyMeatballs
Me.

Why?

I would like to note that I'm not advocating piracy.

#19 Posted by AdobeArtist (24654 posts) -

Habits like this should be kept in the basement, the same way you would beat your red headed step child.

ReadingRainbow4

Kind of a funny analogy, considering your sig ;)

#20 Posted by the_bi99man (11242 posts) -

What an unprofessional dumbass. Hope he gets fired from whatever job he has, and is never allowed to work in journalism again.

#21 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

AdobeArtist

Kind of a funny analogy, considering your sig ;)

I'm of the firm belief that Tyrion prefers to dish out his beatings in public. Gossip be damned.
#22 Posted by getyeryayasout (11458 posts) -
KVO! KVO! KVO!
#23 Posted by Sushiglutton (6820 posts) -

Yawn, he missunderstood a couple of things and now all "experts" and selfrighteous morons on the internet sees an oppurtunity to lecture him just so they can feel a little bit smarter. Silly stuff. He apologized, case closed.

#24 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Committing copyright infringement when one can literally not afford the piece of software? It is a non-issue. Committing copyright infringement when one can afford the software, even once over? Absolute douchbaggery to the highest degree.
#25 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6364 posts) -

Emulation and piracy are fine, to a degree. Why should I buy a game I've already bought just because I want to play it on another device? Why shouldn't I download a game that doesn't have a demo if I want to try before I buy?

Stealing for no good reason isn't cool but circumventing the scams put in place to milk money from us by multi-nillion dollar corps is. Imo.

1080pOnly

+1

#26 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

ZombieKiller7

+1

Excellent points. I have no recourse if I purchase a game that is complete crap. I can't return it. Even if it is broken, as is always the case with Bethesda games, the warranty doesn't cover it.

I can sample any music on Itunes, watch a trailer for any movie, but there are very few demos available. It's fine if they don't want to put in the work for the demo, but they shouldn't be all pissy when gamers pirate their software rather than take it on faith that it will be anything more than garbage.

Now, if a gamer pirates software, likes it, and doesn't buy it, then they are most certainly in the wrong.

#27 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

really they selling a 15+ year old game for $60? i would pirate that crap too...

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#28 Posted by darkspineslayer (22393 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Committing copyright infringement when one can literally not afford the piece of software? It is a non-issue. Committing copyright infringement when one can afford the software, even once over? Absolute douchbaggery to the highest degree.

Can't afford, don't get. It shouldn't even be a discussion. a piece of software isn't nessessary to life.
#30 Posted by Cyberxion_101 (25 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Committing copyright infringement when one can literally not afford the piece of software? It is a non-issue. Committing copyright infringement when one can afford the software, even once over? Absolute douchbaggery to the highest degree.darkspineslayer
Can't afford, don't get. It shouldn't even be a discussion. a piece of software isn't nessessary to life.

I agree, but since people are going to do what they're gonna do, all I ask is that they stop trying to justify it to everyone else. I mean, the only point in the process that I start to give even the tiniest of craps is when the excuses roll out. Otherwise I couldn't possibly care less what people do. I just really don't want to have to read yet another nonsensical excuse that's as hollow and meaningless as it is intellectually insulting, just so that some dude can feel a little bit better about pirating games.

#31 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Can't afford, don't get. It shouldn't even be a discussion. a piece of software isn't nessessary to life.darkspineslayer
Like I said, it's a non-issue. It isn't a moral issue (as everyone has different moral justifications) and it isn't an ethical issue (as there can be no "loss" since there was no intention to buy). All it is, is a legal issue regarding copyright infringement, which, for a single copy, is not worth pursuing in court. It's up to each individual to choose whether or not they wish to support a developer/publisher with their purchase. If someone can afford it, and pirates it instead, they are a douchebag... especially if they admit to it and try to justify it. Those who do it just because they have nothing better to do, and never intended on buying it in the first place are just... well, literally nothing in my mind, as there is no inherent damage done. They can do as they will.
#32 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

it all comes down to this

lol at buying a snes game when they can be emulated, they are overpriced and hard to come by not to mention why would i want a snes or a retro console.

#33 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

it all comes down to this

lol at buying a snes game when they can be emulated, they are overpriced and hard to come by not to mention why would i want a snes or a retro console.

Krelian-co
It really is a strange decision. They would have been better off releasing it on virtual console.
Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
#34 Posted by WithoutGraceXII (1797 posts) -

piracy is good for the industry and for us.

Gue1
Nope. Good for your wallet, nothing else.
#35 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Nope. Good for your wallet, nothing else.WithoutGraceXII
Piracy tends to increase word of mouth for independent games. Especially if they are DRM free and good games.
#36 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
[QUOTE="WithoutGraceXII"]Nope. Good for your wallet, nothing else.Zeviander
Piracy tends to increase word of mouth for independent games. Especially if they are DRM free and good games.

to a degree
#37 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="WithoutGraceXII"]Nope. Good for your wallet, nothing else.Zeviander

This is true. Piracy actually helps the industry in some ways.

And before everyone loses their sh!t about the Forbes article, remember that this is the same website that said that Microsoft was going to sell the Xbox brand to Sony or Barnes and Noble. 'Nuff said.

#38 Posted by Kinthalis (5502 posts) -

Well, first off, the asking price of $60 is beyond ridiculous.

AND - emulaiton does not automaticlaly equal piracy.

I OWN every one of my Wii games. A physical copy, as much as it pains me cause I hate physical copies.

But why the hell would I play them on a crappy Wii, when I can play them in HD via emulaiton on my PC?

#39 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26428 posts) -

Lol, white knighting the industry over really old games.

#40 Posted by adamosmaki (10557 posts) -
1. Forbes is hardly synonymous with video games so no one really cares 2. I feel no gulit at all when i play all those PS1/PS2 games on my Pc and i dont feel i violate any law since i had both PS2/PS1 and all my games are legally bought so so instead of giving Sony or Nintendo $10-20 for a re-release ( because their current system is not Backwards compatible ) of a game i already legally own yes i will play it on an emulator.
#41 Posted by Zaistev_basic (2974 posts) -
Wait until the console market is open to China... and we'll see what piracy really means!
#42 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (18733 posts) -

1. Forbes is hardly synonymous with video games so no one really cares 2. I feel no gulit at all when i play all those PS1/PS2 games on my Pc and i dont feel i violate any law since i had both PS2/PS1 and all my games are legally bought so so instead of giving Sony or Nintendo $10-20 for a re-release ( because their current system is not Backwards compatible ) of a game i already legally own yes i will play it on an emulator. adamosmaki

I'm of the same mind, further more the original creators are not seeing royalities from these titles anymore in most cases, especially when you purchase second hand. The only one who makes a dime in that scenario is the store.

And forget about ebay scalp prices, Giving money to those vultures is just never a fun time.