Forbes: Nintendo making $6 profit on every Wii sold

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nickman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nickman71
Member since 2003 • 1002 Posts

Remember when the Wii first came out, and the meme was that Nintendo made $100+ on every Wii sold, and how Nintendo was gouging everyone?

Yeah, not so much.

CTUDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CTUDude
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
Yea but $6 x 35 million consoles is still... Still more than Microsoft and Sony lol...
CB4McGusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CB4McGusto
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

It doesn't matter it was and still is a rip off by today's standards with it's lack of quality games, weak third-party support, legacy hardware, and crap online(hell the dreamcast had better online).

Pimpin ain't dead yet, cause it's demonstrated by those at Nintendo who pimp the weak minded gamer into providing their profit.

Church!

/thread

Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
its sad how americans are buying into garbage like the wii.
kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts
its sad how americans are buying into garbage like the wii.Panther501
It'selling pretty well in Europe and Asia too....
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Remember when the Wii first came out, and the meme was that Nintendo made $100+ on every Wii sold, and how Nintendo was gouging everyone?

Yeah, not so much.

Nickman71

Yeah, if you believe that, which I don't. For all we know, Nintendo had that story planted.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="Panther501"]its sad how americans are buying into garbage like the wii.kryloc
It'selling pretty well in Europe and Asia too....

one could even say the bestof the consoles
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

It doesn't matter it was and still is a rip off by today's standards with it's lack of quality games, weak third-party support, legacy hardware, and crap online(hell the dreamcast had better online).

Pimpin ain't dead yet, cause it's demonstrated by those at Nintendo who pimp the weak minded gamer into providing their profit.

Church!

/thread

CB4McGusto
Did you even own a Dreamcast? Or ever play online with one?
kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts
[QUOTE="Nickman71"]

Yeah, not so much.

SolidTy

Yeah, if you believe that, which I don't. For all we know, Nintendo had that story planted.

I agree, these numbers are all very suspect.  Microsoft very well could be turning a profit on their consoles, especially the over priced elite.

And The wii outselling the 360 by 100+ million games?  Every year up to this point MS has clearly outsold it's competition.  But this year it barely beats the ps3 and gets blown away by the wii?

Nintendo NEVER sales their consoles for a loss.  I doubt they haven't reduced costs since launch.  They sell it for $200 in japan, so add in 2 dollars to make wii sports from plasitc, and your getting at least 50+ profit in europe and america.

I suggest forbes not cite that market research company again.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="Nickman71"]

Yeah, not so much.

kryloc

I agree, these numbers are all very suspect.  Microsoft very well could be turning a profit on their consoles, especially the over priced elite.

And The wii outselling the 360 by 100+ million games?  Every year up to this point MS has clearly outsold it's competition.  But this year it barely beats the ps3 and gets blown away by the wii?

Nintendo NEVER sales their consoles for a loss.  I doubt they haven't reduced costs since launch.  They sell it for $200 in japan, so add in 2 dollars to make wii sports from plasitc, and your getting at least 50+ profit in europe and america.

That's because the Wii has been outselling the 360 in software. You're just too brainwashed by MS' 8.1 attach ratio to realize this is a fact.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
[QUOTE="kryloc"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Zhengi

That's because the Wii has been outselling the 360 in software. You're just too brainwashed by MS' 8.1 attach ratio to realize this is a fact.

to prove this mans point the wii is around 32 mil the 360 23 

the wii has an attach around 6 the 360 8

32x6= 192

23x8=184

even if i am off about the consoles the 360 is at this still proves the dudes point and then think about the 360 being out for 3 years where the wii has 2

the wii has been selling loads more games then the others it is a fact and i dont toss that word around like many others on SW

gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts

Funny, This contradicts what the Nikko Citigroup posted a year ago.

Nintendo making $49 profit per Wii.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
attach rates are pretty misleading. If I was a game developer I'd pay more attention to individual game sales than attach rates.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidTy

attach rates are pretty misleading. If I was a game developer I'd pay more attention to individual game sales than attach rates.BumFluff122

I have to say, I agree. I've NEVER liked that Stat, since Microsoft introduced way back when. The best way is what you just said.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zhengi

Funny, This contradicts what the Nikko Citigroup posted a year ago.

Nintendo making $49 profit per Wii.

gmastersexay
I'm guessing it's because of the exchange rate and the way the dollar has fallen this year.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="CTUDude"]Yea but $6 x 35 million consoles is still... Still more than Microsoft and Sony lol...

Yeah but, a business has one goal. Make money.
JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

Church!

/thread

CB4McGusto

how do i become a STRONG minded gamer like yourself?

really, i'd like to know!

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dotWithShoes
attach rates are pretty misleading. If I was a game developer I'd pay more attention to individual game sales than attach rates.BumFluff122
Isn't accessory sales considered attachments? I know GameStop considers them that.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
Thats operating profit, meaning after payroll, expenses and all costs. thats how much is being given to the biggest bosses. Each wii is marked up like $190 though
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

It's just like people who think game companies make a ton because they over price the game:

Let us look at the money for a minute. Where does all of your money go when you go down to the store and buy a game? Let's look at a typical $50 dollar purchase. Of that $50, here's where a typical breakdown of where the money goes for a non-licensed PC game:

Retailer $18
Distributor $5
Publisher $5
Manufacturing $8
Marketing and Publicity $6
Development $8

IshmaelSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IshmaelSonata
Member since 2008 • 979 Posts
still funny that 6 dollars is the most profit console companies will ever see this generation.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Nickman71"]

Yeah, not so much.

SolidTy

Come on you don't honestly think Nintendo planted the story. Maybe the story was poorly written or something. But a plant from Nintendo, give me a break.
asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts
I gotta say, there is one little bit that make me doubtful about the figures in this article... "Nintendo's strategy is to buy inexpensive components instead of making them in-house, allowing the Wii to sell for $260 while the PS3 costs $300."
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dotWithShoes
Thats operating profit, meaning after payroll, expenses and all costs. thats how much is being given to the biggest bosses. Each wii is marked up like $190 though blues35301
So you're saying it only costs $60 to make the Wii?
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="Nickman71"]

Yeah, not so much.

HarlockJC

Come on you don't honestly think Nintendo planted the story. Maybe the story was poorly written or something. But a plant from Nintendo, give me a break.

This is SW, where Conspiracy is our friend! :)

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zhengi
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

He's not this poor kitty's friend.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

Well HAHA....I curse you to get a forth RROD :)

Make fun of Nintendo now when you get a RROD and someone sticks gum in your PS3.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

Church!

/thread

CB4McGusto
Just like microsoft does with its games and a few months later red is the only thing you play.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
[QUOTE="blues35301"]Thats operating profit, meaning after payroll, expenses and all costs. thats how much is being given to the biggest bosses. Each wii is marked up like $190 though dotWithShoes

pretty much...have you seen it? it was my estimate. the gc was selling for 99 bucks and turning profit. its essentially the same thing. im not bashing it but its true. the wii mote is also like $7 for nin. to make
YoungRay20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YoungRay20
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts
agreed but its not only my country. But their are more children then us mature gamers. Most of them like the wii. My 11 year old cousin is getting one on Christmas.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] Come on you don't honestly think Nintendo planted the story. Maybe the story was poorly written or something. But a plant from Nintendo, give me a break. Zhengi

He's not this poor kitty's friend.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dotWithShoes
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="blues35301"]Thats operating profit, meaning after payroll, expenses and all costs. thats how much is being given to the biggest bosses. Each wii is marked up like $190 though blues35301

pretty much...have you seen it? it was my estimate. the gc was selling for 99 bucks and turning profit. its essentially the same thing. im not bashing it but its true. the wii mote is also like $7 for nin. to make

So true, I always liked the wifi and bluetooth on my Gamecube.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts
its not like the situation looks different in japan or europe
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
[QUOTE="CB4McGusto"]

Church!

/thread

Its good to know that there is always someone like you around to tell other people what they should like.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]attach rates are pretty misleading. If I was a game developer I'd pay more attention to individual game sales than attach rates.dotWithShoes
Isn't accessory sales considered attachments? I know GameStop considers them that.

attach rates refers to the number of games sold per console or how many games, on average, each person who owns the console has.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
(hell the dreamcast had better online).

CB4McGusto
XD The DC was great and ahead of its time, but the online was laggy and a lot of games only had score boards or ghosts etc...PSO was ahead of its time and the best online example I can think of, but you couldn't compare it to todays online (twas a lag fest in my experience).
DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
It is still a profit regardless of how much it is while the other two company are losing money with Sony losing the most out of all of them. I find it rediculous for a console to be gaining profit because it just shows that the console isn't worth the price and that we are getting ripp-off for it not that I owned one or anything. This is even worse because they launched with this kind of price to begin with.:?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HarlockJC
It is still a profit regardless of how much it is while the other two company are losing money with Sony losing the most out of all of them. I find it rediculous for a console to be gaining profit because it just shows that the console isn't worth the price and that we are getting ripp-off for it not that I owned one or anything. This is even worse because they launched with this kind of price to begin with.:?-DarthMaul-
Sega was the first ever to sell a sell a console without making profit. You see what happen there. Also the 360 is now sold at a profit from what MS say.