Forbes article: Nintendo NX DELAY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

From Paul Tassi (Forbes)

Original article at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/09/13/the-nintendo-nx-seems-like-its-on-track-for-a-delay/#7bdb25f83070

Nintendo has been in the news a lot lately, between their continued connection to Pokémon GO, and now their new relationship with Apple, which is bringing Mario to iOS.

But they have not been in the news for something that fans have been waiting over a year for, giving out information about their next video game console, the Nintendo NX. Last year, Nintendo puzzled many by saying that they would not share any information about the console until 2016, yet it did not appear at E3 of this year, nor anywhere else.

Now, we’re nine months into 2016, and the only information we’ve gotten out of Nintendo officially is a release date, March 2017, something that is looking less and less likely every time this issue comes up.

We are now approaching a point where a March 2017 release just does not seem wise or likely. Assuming that the NX is released at the end of March, before Nintendo’s fiscal year ends, that’s just about six and a half months from today.

Now, many will say that other consoles have been announced and released within the same year, most recently the PS4 and Xbox One. But there are stark differences in the situations which makes the comparison flawed.

While the Xbox One was officially announced six months before release, the PlayStation 4 was announced nine months ahead of time. But both consoles had the benefit of not only their own heavily-promoted live events to debut, but also blowout E3 shows that really dove deep into each system, and blasted hype (or a lack thereof, in Microsoft’s case) throughout the world.

It’s widely speculated that Nintendo will debut the NX in one of its famous Directs, a video presentation, and a March release would mean there would be no huge gaming shows like E3 to further show of the unit live. Nintendo has already been confirmed to be skipping the Tokyo Games Show, which is about to start and might have been a reasonable place to debut the NX, so that means the entirety of the messaging for the NX will have to be conveyed through Directs between now and release, or at best, Nintendo possibly setting up their own independent live event.

And then there’s the matter of a March release historically. No home video game console since the Japanese release of the PS2 has debuted outside of the fall holiday window, including Nintendo’s own consoles. While Nintendo’s alleged goal is to get the NX out before their fiscal year ends, it seems more than a little likely that once upon a time, their goal was probably to get it out for holiday 2016 which also would have been inside the fiscal year. It seems probable that an internal delay prevented that, even if the March date was the first “official” date.

That’s another thing. This is what Nintendo does. They delay things. They delay games all the time, from the years-long pushback of Breath of the Wild, to most recently announcing that its mobile versions of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing were being pushed to 2017. It’s Shigeru Miyamoto who has the famous quote about how “a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is bad forever,” and that philosophy probably applies to hardware as well. But with the Wii U essentially dead at this point, it’s unclear Nintendo wants to wait longer than they have to in order to replace it, hence this fiscal year goal.

They may have bought themselves more time with investors, however. Pokémon GO made their stock soar, even if it came down a bit after many realized they were only getting a sliver of revenue from the game. And their stock jumped yet again when they revealed their mobile plans at Apple’s event. If investors are confident enough in their mobile-themed future, perhaps that buys them more leeway for a pending NX delay, out of the fiscal year. Super Mario Run, out this December, could theoretically be another GO-sized hit, but this time itwould be Nintendo raking in the cash, rather than having it split between multiple companies.

Right now, simply nothing about a March 2017 release date for the NX makes sense. Unless the NX is announced within the next week or two, it seems almost predetermined that the date will be moved, something I guessed might happen from the moment I heard it announced. We simply know too little about the NX too close to an alleged release, and with no big shows on the horizon, a few Nintendo Directs and some YouTube trailers aren’t going to be enough to generate the sort of hype the console needs for a proper launch.

You simply can't release console without games Nintendo. No games = no point of console.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I'm fine with a holiday 2017 NX release. I have plenty to play until then.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Nintendo is scrapping it and doing a hardware redesign.

Sony and Microsoft are so beyond Nintendo now in terms of hardware power, I cannot see them remaining competitive in this climate.

@Zen_Light said:

A holiday release for them would be suicide with Scorpio coming to market.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zen_Light

@dynamitecop said:

Sony and Microsoft are so beyond Nintendo now in terms of hardware power, I cannot see them remaining competitive in this climate.

@Zen_Light said:

Bro gamers aren't gonna buy NX no matter when it's released. It's gonna be for handheld gamers, a totally different market. Plus, nobody except early adopters and extreme fanboys are going to buy Scorpio for 700 damn dollars.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Hmmm not sure delaying it until late next year is a good thing... then it'll have competition from Scorpio. Early next year is better I think... but who knows.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

That article is full of crap like the TC, the author has no source on a possible delay other than Nintendo's trend on delaying games.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@Zen_Light: Scorpio won't be anywhere near $700, you're several hundred above it's likely retail price.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zen_Light

@dynamitecop said:

@Zen_Light: Scorpio won't be anywhere near $700, you're several hundred above it's likely retail price.

You have no idea how much it's gonna cost, or when it will release.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

@Zen_Light said:
@dynamitecop said:

@Zen_Light said:

Bro gamers aren't gonna buy NX no matter when it's released. It's gonna be for handheld gamers, a totally different market. Plus, nobody except early adopters and extreme fanboys are going to buy Scorpio for 700 damn dollars.

handheld against apple and google? good luck. I mean most people are not going to buy handheld when mobiles and tablet has far more better games and exclusives you can play and you can also surf internet, watch movies, listen music, do your homework and stuff like that. With handheld you can just play games. lol and not online games since Wii U most exclusive games don't have even online. I dont think anyone is gonna buy handheld just to play few exclusive games(single-player).

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

You cant delay Zelda mate, tell your rumors to suck it. Zelda was delayed for NX, if Nintendo delays Zelda again, well burn this beach down. And you can take that to the bank.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

good, the idea of those (rumored) stupid detachable controls was... well, stupid

I like the idea of a console-handheld hybrid, though they need to make it simple, what we've been hearing about lately isn't simple, with the power they want though you wouldn't need a docking hardware much more than the charging station on the Wii U, something just to keep the beefy handheld powered, the unit can communicate with an HDTV through an HDMI wireless dongle and the unit can be paired with wireless remotes, that to me is the simplest setup

as for games, I think Nintendo can get away with less first party support if the Japanese third party devs jump on it, which I think will happen with Sony leaving the handheld market, western devs I wouldn't hold my breath over, but Nintendo is going to need a killer app, what I've seen of LoZ the game still seems very underwhelming where that alone should be reason to delay the NX

anyhow, I wonder if this new partnership with Apple is also a reason for the delay, maybe they're planning a major initiative together, Apple is all about making trendy and fashionable must have devices, Nintendo too has always been about making innovative and gimmicky things, they're a match made in heaven

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

In a time when all of our anticipated games have been delayed, delaying games is what Nintendo does? Release a console without games? Hmm. The title is a tiny bit misleading.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zen_Light

@FreedomFreeLife: You're gonna have to change the title of the thread or it's gonna get locked for having misinformation.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#14 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

What do you think of this?

RUMOR: Nintendo’s Developer Portal Updated & Gearing Up For An NX Reveal?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

This post should be locked for plagiarism. Either add something to discussion, quote the writing, or learn to reword shat. Copying an article word for word is insulting to the original content creator and is unauthorized usage of said material. This is lazy writing. A damn robot could had performed a better attempt.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FreedomFreeLife

@Zen_Light said:

@FreedomFreeLife: You're gonna have to change the title of the thread or it's gonna get locked for having misinformation.

What misinformation? i gave direct link, forbes aricle that asks is nx delayed. nothing is misinformation.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Any further delay for the NX is going to hammer Nintendo into the fucking ground. Best pray this isn't true, which I suspect it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@Zen_Light said:
@dynamitecop said:

You have no idea how much it's gonna cost, or when it will release.

Neither do you? So why make a claim of $700? Lmfao...

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Zen_Light said:
@dynamitecop said:

@Zen_Light said:

If the rumored device is true, it was basically going to be a handheld...but a bulky thing with detachable controllers. Honestly, such a "hybrid" device might appeal to neither console gamers NOR to traditional Gameboy/3DS gamers (if it isn't portable enough to bring on the go). It could end up one of those things nobody but hardcore Nintendo sheep can really support.

I doubt Scorpio will be $700 by the time its' released. PS4 Pro is $399 and it's 4.2+ Terraflops. By the time Scorpio is released, 6 Terraflops should be doable in a similar $399 package.

Delay might be over this power gap, if the NX was like 1 Terraflops and they were planning on $299 or $399 launch price it would be an immediate flop.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

You cant delay Zelda mate, tell your rumors to suck it. Zelda was delayed for NX, if Nintendo delays Zelda again, well burn this beach down. And you can take that to the bank.

If the NX is delayed (Which I'm not convinced its going to be) they will probably delay Zelda too to make it a launch title still. I think they really want Zelda to push the NX to core gamers

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@Zen_Light said:

What misinformation? i gave direct link, forbes aricle that asks is nx delayed. nothing is misinformation.

maybe add a "will it be delayed?". The title makes it seem like its confirmed already

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

MS/Sony are far beyond what Nintendo will ever do with a console now.

I want it to release to just see how it performs in today's market.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Not surprised.

Well, maybe a bit, since Pokemon Go was such a hit, maybe they will do something with it.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zen_Light

@aigis said:
@FreedomFreeLife said:
@Zen_Light said:

maybe add a "will it be delayed?". The title makes it seem like its confirmed already

Guess I'll have to contact a mod to take care of this. It only proves how deceitful the tc really is irl.