Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 13084 Posts

Link

-Things seem to be moving ahead with the PS5 and Xbox Series X, even as the rest of the economy reels from the impact of coronavirus and the efforts to contain it. Last week we heard from Sony for the first time in months, albeit in a tech-heavy presentation that went over most consumers’ heads. And that means we know have specs from both machines, allowing for a more direct comparison than we’ve ever had before. And one analyst is feeling confident that one of these machines will come out on top.

A note from DFC Intelligence gives the technical edge to Xbox Series X, at least from a consumer-facing perspective. Game developers are talking up how the PS5’s super-fast SSD could ultimately be more important when it comes to how tech actually impacts game development, but Microsoft was able to define the conversation early with the teraflops measure, and in that department Series X beats PS5 12.15 to 10.29.

The analyst does not predict that this edge will tip the scales, however. Sony is coming into the generation with a sizable market lead from the PS4’s dominance, and it seems likely to maintain that position. Microsoft should be able to increase its share with a much stronger start than it had with the Xbox One, however:

“Sony’s mass market penetration and perception is far less than it was in the heyday of the PlayStation 2. However, they have a key advantage in software, consumer recognition and global distribution. For the next few years, this advantage will probably be insurmountable for Microsoft and Xbox Series X.

Several months before the launch of the PlayStation 3, DFC Intelligence wrote an article entitled “Could Sony Go from 1st to Worst?” This was a highly controversial position given the success of the PlayStation 2. However, the analysis proved accurate.

Right now, DFC does not anticipate “First to Worst Part 2.” However, we do think Microsoft will start to chip into the PlayStation 4 market share. However, much of this will depend on the strength of the offerings from Microsoft’s newly acquired studios.”

I tend to agree: Microsoft has already rolled out the Series X much better than it did the Xbox One, and should have an easier time of it than it did last generation launch. But the company’s gaming ambitions are widening past consoles to an ecosystem that contains streaming, PC and the Series X, and it’s doing that for a reason. Sony’s lead in the traditional console space is just too strong right now, and it’s hard to imagine another machine eclipsing it entirely outside unusual circumstances.-

I'm certainly no high falutin analyst, but this is pretty much how I think things will go heading into next generation. Both consoles have a lot to prove, and we gamers should benefit greatly from a closer race.

Anything surprising to you, SW?

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BlackShirt20  Online
Member since 2005 • 1461 Posts

Look, Sony could poop in a box and call it a PlayStation (They did, PS3) and Sony Fanboys would buy it. MS is clearly building the best next generation hardware. They just need to deliver good exciting games. Do this and Sony’s PlayStation will struggle in north America and Europe again.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 627 Posts

Why all these sites analysing specs?

It’s unit sales that count,I read it here on SW

HAH

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 1960 Posts

If I want to play Forza or Gears, I can use my PC. If I want to play PS exclusives, I need a PlayStation, simple. And the PS5 will be cheaper, which is important for most people. If pixel count is important, buy a PC.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1776 Posts

My PC is on my computer desk I'm not going to move it to my game room every time I want to play games. The Xbox for sure but will wait to see the PS4 IMO was a waste of money just to play a couple games.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts

PS will continue to dominate and Xbox will increase their market share. At best Xbox gets the US back.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 30044 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

Look, Sony could poop in a box and call it a PlayStation (They did, PS3) and Sony Fanboys would buy it. MS is clearly building the best next generation hardware. They just need to deliver good exciting games. Do this and Sony’s PlayStation will struggle in north America and Europe again.

The PS3 was a better console than the meltdown 360 worse system ever built in this planet.

Sony never struggle in Europe buffoon UK doesn't = complete Europe and in fact the PS3 outsold the xbox 360 in europe by a considerable margin.

This is the classic blind lemming who think only US and UK matter,so much this true that look how you claim sony struggle in Europe..lol

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3901 Posts

PlayStation would have to have an epic fail to lose the next generation they have the largest market share by far. Here in the uk PlayStation and even switch are miles ahead.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33050 Posts

Only way Microsoft can win this, is if they make some killer exclusives again.

Halo/forza/gears won't be enough. People have already played those games.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 35530 Posts

@BlackShirt20 said:

@rrjim1 said:

My PC is on my computer desk I'm not going to move it to my game room every time I want to play games. The Xbox for sure but will wait to see the PS4 IMO was a waste of money just to play a couple games.

These guys get it. Others, eh, not so much. lol :P

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3901 Posts

All they can do is continue rebranding the xbox platform as they have with the S and X. The roll out of the x series was handled as good as it could get.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 3618 Posts

Honestly I hope Sony stumbles. Arrogant Sony is bad Sony.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 1491 Posts

Xbox does not have games and when they do, it's also on PC. PS5 is weaker but powerful enough, will likely be cheaper, and has games. PlayStation wins yet again

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 627 Posts

@Fairmonkey:

“Xbox does NOT have games”

“But what they DO,are on pc too

HAH,special

So it does have games and they are console exclusives

Games are only exclusives if you have one system

#bothconsoles #allthepowerallthegames #winning

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 30044 Posts

@briguyb13:

How is Sony arrogant? This should be good.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 3618 Posts

@tormentos said:

@briguyb13:

How is Sony arrogant? This should be good.

You'll deny whatever I say by bringing up non-related and irrelevant points, but I'll bite:

-no new game announcements or updates for what, 30 months now?

-censoring games outside of the ratings board's jurisdiction.

-making Japanese game devs get approval for content in Japan, from the US HQ in California. Imagine getting approval from a different country, and their cultural biases imposed on a totally separate region.

Sony are basically doing what Nintendo did with N64: depending on their exclusive lineup to be the be-all, end-all enticement for gamers they deem as a loyal fanbase.