For those in denial, Dark Souls is JRPG, not a WRPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 0

#1 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand how people think JRPG and WRPG are different genres of RPG as opposed to a geographic difference. Let's put our heads together here, folks. JRPG stands for Japanese Role-Playing Game. WRPG stands for Western Role-Playing Game. In an ideal world these stupid titles wouldn't exist because in the end, regardless of where a game is made, it's a ROLE-PLAYING GAME. Regardless, we're stuck with the names, but every time there's a discussion on the top WRPG of the year, some fool has to mention Dark Souls.

It's a JRPG. No, JRPG is not a genre. Action RPG is a genre, which Dark Souls is.

And I know some people will say, "but Dark Souls is nothing like Final Fantasy." That's because Final Fantasy isn't an action-RPG, but they're both JRPGs. You wouldn't go and say King's Bounty and Deus Ex aren't both WRPGs because they play completely differently from one another, so why try and separate Dark Souls from other JRPGs?

Dark Souls is just as much of an action-RPG as Tales of Vesperia is and just as much of an action-RPG as Mass Effect is. You are in full control of your characters actions and success is based just as much on your reflexes as it is your stats.

So let's stamp out the ignorance already, JRPG is not a genre. I don't get why so many users here try and act like JRPGs all suck, but when they find one they like, it suddenly isn't a JRPG. :roll:

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

Yeah.

It's amazing how people don't understand this.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Yeah that's true. It's just generally JRPG's and WRPG's have the same style is why people classify it like that. But it is a JRPG

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#4 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts
Lol, did this really need it's own thread Ninja? I think I've seen one, maybe two people try to pass it off as a WRPG.
Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kolev_Plus
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts
For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Agreed. Dark Souls is totally WRPG of the Year.
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_ShakeXXX
For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.Kolev_Plus
Skyrim fanboy I take it? You know, it IS possible to enjoy both games. No one will look down on you for it.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"]For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.Master_ShakeXXX
Skyrim fanboy I take it? You know, it IS possible to enjoy both games. No one will look down on you for it.

What the hell did you bring in Skyrim for? Don't change this to a VS. thread.

You can criticize my threads shake, the moment you cut out your constant Vanquish/Dark Souls adoration threads and attacking anyone that doesn't agree with you about them.

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kolev_Plus
[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"]For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.Master_ShakeXXX

Haven't played, probably won't. Oblivion was terrible.
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

I always said it was an action RPG. If you played it you would know that as commen sense. Might i add that its an amazing action RPG at that.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Well, it's from Japan hence it's a Japanese RPG. Makes sense to me, really :P

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"][QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"]For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.NeonNinja

You can criticize my threads shake, the moment you cut out your constant Vanquish/Dark Souls adoration threads and attacking anyone that doesn't agree with you about them.

Oh god, don't tell me you're against me now as well. The game is far from terrible and I WILL call out any idiot fanboys who make ridiculous claims. Why are you defending him?
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Skyrim fanboy I take it? You know, it IS possible to enjoy both games. No one will look down on you for it.Master_ShakeXXX

Oh god, don't tell me you're against me now as well. The game is far from terrible and I WILL call out any idiot fanboys who make ridiculous claims. Why are you defending him?

Fact- Your opinion is not the end all be all. If someone thinks it's terrible who are you to call them an idiot? That's what makes me against you- close-minded diarrhea of the mouth.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NeonNinja

I always said it was an action RPG. If you played it you would know that as commen sense. Might i add that its an amazing action RPG at that.

xOMGITSJASONx

Never said it's terrible, nor did I say that everyone said it's not a JRPG.

This is "for those in denial."

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Then why distinguish between JRPG and WRPG if they are not different? Let's face it, most of the time WRPG and JRPG's look and play in a different way, they are RPG's but there are differences. People certainly don't point out the origin of the game for no reason...

Dark Souls is just one of those games where it's made in Japan but looks/plays closer to what WRPG's have been.

Do we call games WFPS (western FPS)? EUFPS (european FPS?)? No, because they're the same. WRPG's and JRPG's tend to be different, as I said.

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kolev_Plus
[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Skyrim fanboy I take it? You know, it IS possible to enjoy both games. No one will look down on you for it.Master_ShakeXXX

Wahhh! Some one made fun of the game I have a hard on for. Waah. Get over yourself Master_Fail.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Wow this is pathetic. This stupid flaming allowance is making everyone a jack ass, I think they should stop this stupid novelty.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NeonNinja

Then why distinguish between JRPG and WRPG if they are not different? Let's face it, most of the time WRPG and JRPG's look and play in a different way, they are RPG's but there are differences. People certainly don't point out the origin of the game for no reason... Dark Souls is just one of those games where it's made in Japan but looks/plays closer to what WRPG's have been. Do we call games WFPS (western FPS)? EUFPS (european FPS?)?SaltyMeatballs

I don't like the distinction between the two, why even have J or W in front of an RPG when it's just an RPG to begin with? Dark Souls may look more in tone with many of the RPGs made in the West, but that doesn't put it in a different genre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Then why distinguish between JRPG and WRPG if they are not different? Let's face it, most of the time WRPG and JRPG's look and play in a different way, they are RPG's but there are differences. People certainly don't point out the origin of the game for no reason...

Dark Souls is just one of those games where it's made in Japan but looks/plays closer to what WRPG's have been.

Do we call games WFPS (western FPS)? EUFPS (european FPS?)? No, because they're the same. WRPG's and JRPG's tend to be different, as I said.

SaltyMeatballs

This is very true, otherwise we wouldn't use the term WRPG and JRPG in the first place

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Not enough Japanese melodrama to qualify as a JRPG.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NeonNinja

Not enough Japanese melodrama to qualify as a JRPG.

TheFallenDemon

That made me laugh. Pretty true, actually BUT STILL. :P

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"][QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

NeonNinja

Fact- Your opinion is not the end all be all. If someone thinks it's terrible who are you to call them an idiot? That's what makes me against you- close-minded diarrhea of the mouth.

He just poped in and called the game terrible without giving any legit criticisms to back up his retarded claim. That's called trolling. Don't defend that crap.

And to be honest it annoys the piss out of me that you attacked ME, the guy who was calling out the troll.

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kolev_Plus

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Oh god, don't tell me you're against me now as well. The game is far from terrible and I WILL call out any idiot fanboys who make ridiculous claims. Why are you defending him?Master_ShakeXXX

He just poped in and called the game terrible without giving any legit critisims to back up his retarded claim. That's called trolling. Don't defend that crap.

I don't write reviews on why a game was terrible every post I make. Especially not to please a moron.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"] Oh god, don't tell me you're against me now as well. The game is far from terrible and I WILL call out any idiot fanboys who make ridiculous claims. Why are you defending him?Master_ShakeXXX

He just poped in and called the game terrible without giving any legit critisims to back up his retarded claim. That's called trolling. Don't defend that crap.

I think Mass Effect 2 is terrible.

Do I need to list reasons every time I say I hate it?

While we're at it, I think Fallout 3 is terrible. Also, STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl sucks. I'm not listing reasons. So his "retarded" claim is his opinion. Quit flaming people just because it's allowed now and get off your high horse.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Who brought up Skyrim though? You decided to troll Skyrim for no reason.
Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

SaltyMeatballs
Thank you listen to this ^ I don't care if the game was made in Japan, America, Europe whatever. Its a WRPG because it plays like a WRPG
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Kolev_Plus

I don't write reviews on why a game was terrible every post I make. Especially not to please a moron.

Then why bother posting if all you're gonna do is spew out garbage, jackass?

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts
For those in denial, Dark Souls is terrible, not great.Kolev_Plus
Yeah, just because it's called Dark Souls dosen't excuse the piss poor frame rate, broken online, cheap difficulty, lack of any story at all and expoiltable glitches and gameplay elements. ;\ don't try and deny it fanboys.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NeonNinja

And to be honest it annoys the piss out of me that you attacked ME, the guy who was calling out the troll.

Master_ShakeXXX

I think your trying to turn this into a Skyrim VS Dark Souls thread is lame. I think your criticizing people for disagreeing with you at every turn is lame. We may have similar tastes in games, but I don't call people idiot fanboys when they disagree with me.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

SaltyMeatballs

Skyrim is one of my favorite games from this year. Hell, I almost like it more than Dark Souls. Why would I troll it?

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kolev_Plus

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

Chrome-

Thank you listen to this ^ I don't care if the game was made in Japan, America, Europe whatever. Its a WRPG because it plays like a WRPG

But what does a WRPG play like? It's an Action-RPG, though most everyone agrees on that. Y'know, action, strategy, turn-based, etc. Those are all RPG sub-genres. But WRPG and JRPG were always used for geographic differences, what makes Dark Souls the exception to that?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"][QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Skyrim is one of my favorite games from this year. Hell, I almost like it more than Dark Souls. Why would I troll it?

Because you called him a Skyrim fanboy the moment he said he hated Dark Souls. Now you're calling him a jackass. Out of everyone in the thread, you are the only one who has lost his cool over a discussion on why people like to think of Dark Souls as a WRPG.

It's not a big deal. Calm down.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Master_ShakeXXX

NeonNinja

I think your trying to turn this into a Skyrim VS Dark Souls thread is lame. I think your criticizing people for disagreeing with you at every turn is lame. We may have similar tastes in games, but I don't call people idiot fanboys when they disagree with me.

Like I said, I called him out because he made a bold claim that he didn't attempt to back up in the slightest. And I wasn't trying to turn this into a Skyrim vs Dark Souls thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Wow this is pathetic. This stupid flaming allowance is making everyone a jack ass, I think they should stop this stupid novelty.

OB-47
lol its funny.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Master_ShakeXXX

Like I said, I called him out because he made a bold claim that he didn't attempt to back up in the slightest. And I wasn't trying to turn this into a Skyrim vs Dark Souls thread.

You did try, and he didn't make a bold claim. He said he hates the game. He's allowed to say he hates whatever he wants. Maybe he's a troll, maybe he isn't. No need to start raging on someone for no reason. Learn to keep your cool. I know the ToU have changed, but you're the only one freaking out. Read over your posts and everyone else's and tell me I'm wrong.

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"] I don't write reviews on why a game was terrible every post I make. Especially not to please a moron.Kolev_Plus

Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.

Ya see that Ninja, ****er just admitted he was trolling. Yet something tells me you're still gonna defend him, for some ****ed up reason.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

Ya see that Ninja, ****er just admitted he was trolling. Yet something tells me you're still gonna defend him, for some ****ed up reason.

Why are you so pissed off?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
The developers are Japanese, the publishers are Japanese, that to me qualifies it as a JRPG, even though I feel that the game is far from your typical JRPG and has more in common with western games, that doesn't make it a WRPG.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NeonNinja

Master_ShakeXXX

I read his post before you. Did it really bother you that much? You started something with him, what do you think he's going to comply with you and be all nice and apologize? Say he's sorry and that Dark Souls is a great game that he just doesn't appreciate?

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NeonNinja

The developers are Japanese, the publishers are Japanese, that to me qualifies it as a JRPG, even though I feel that the game is far from your typical JRPG and has more in common with western games, that doesn't make it a WRPG.lamprey263

That's how I feel. Aesthetically it's darker than the majority of games developed in the region (well, From has always had that dark vibe around them with King's Field and Otogi, but they got big with the Souls games), but it's still a JRPG.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

How long till you play this friggin' WPRG, Ninja?? :twisted:

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"] Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.spookykid143

He hates it when people don't like the games he's passionate about?

Kolev_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kolev_Plus

Master_ShakeXXX

Didn'tdoit to troll. Stated my honest opinion in hopes that someone like you would get butthurt. Still my honest opinion that you should learn to deal with.
xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

That guy may have been trolling, but Dark Souls is seriously not all it's cracked out to be, there have been a few superior RPG releases this year such as The Witcher 2, Radiant Histora & Disgaea 4.... (no offense homeboy)
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Master_ShakeXXX

Lol dude, get a grip, who cares what ninja thinks of you.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NeonNinja

How long till you play this friggin' WPRG, Ninja?? :twisted:

Rovelius

I be playin' dis JRPG after mah finals, dawg! :evil:

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"] Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.spookykid143

Can you blame me? I some how always end up the bad guy. It gets old. Some dude comes in, says the game sucks without giving any actual reasons why, I call him out on it, and I'm the one who gets attacked. See what's wrong with this picture?

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"] Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.xXShortroundXx

That guy may have been trolling, but Dark Souls is seriously not all it's cracked out to be, there have been a few superior RPG releases this year such as The Witcher 2, Radiant Histora & Disgaea 4.... (no offense homeboy)

And that's totally fine. Beats just coming in and saying "game sucks, hur hur."

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="Kolev_Plus"] Cause I'm allowed to do what I want and it brings me small joy to see people like you lose there cool and get their ass hurt. Jackdonkey. And the game truly did suck.xXShortroundXx

Dude, playing through The Witcher makes me so excited to buy the sequel! So good!