*for console gamers only - What do you think is the cost of a decent gaming PC

  • 60 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for leandrro
Edited 3 years, 11 months ago

Poll: *for console gamers only - What do you think is the cost of a decent gaming PC (58 votes)

400 dollars 7%
600 dollars 16%
800 dollars 31%
1200 dollars 33%
1600 dollars 5%
2000 dollars 2%
2500 dollars 0%
3000 dollars 7%

i am not asking the PC gamers that already (or should) know the answer, i wanna know what console gamers think

p.s. i am no system fanboy, i had nes, snes, ps2, ps3, x360 wii and some pcs

a decent gaming PC is one that can run next gen games like Battlefield 4 or Need for Speed Rivals at decent frame-rates up to 60fps, 1080p, high to max visual settings, record videos, run wii and ps2 emulators...

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#1 Edited by MonsieurX (36746 posts) -

1000$ is the sweet spot

Avatar image for muffin2020
#2 Edited by Muffin2020 (534 posts) -

$600 would be my vote. Any less and you'll struggle to upgrade it due to old mother boards and crap power supplies.

That said, unless you really can't stand not using a K/M why bother paying more for the hassle. You'd be better off with a console or spending $1000.00 for a definite improvement.

Avatar image for -RPGamer-
#3 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

1000$ is the sweet spot

Yep, this is where I'm at. Could I build one for less? Sure, but that would not be the PC experience that I know exists. It would be a diminished experience on a platform that I know could do much better.

Avatar image for leandrro
#4 Edited by leandrro (1636 posts) -

@muffin2020 said:

$600 would be my vote. Any less and you'll struggle to upgrade it due to old mother boards and crap power supplies.

a very very good corsair 450W PSU costs around 20-25

you can put a 200W graphics card on it, and only upgrade to another 200W card made in a new technology, like upgrading from a 45nm card to a 28nm card would give you more than 200% performance increase without any PSU power increase

Avatar image for thegroveman
#5 Edited by thegroveman (123 posts) -

You can get a good PC for $6-800, but you won't get more than 3 years of decent performance out of it without updating the graphics card and/or increasing RAM at that 2-3 year mark, which turns it in to a $8-1,000 PC.

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
#6 Edited by K1ngd0m4g3rul3z (179 posts) -

@thegroveman said:

You can get a good PC for $6-800, but you won't get more than 3 years of decent performance out of it without updating the graphics card and/or increasing RAM at that 2-3 year mark, which turns it in to a $8-1,000 PC.

Increasing the Ram? WHy? Do you think games will require 16gb in 2-3 years?

Also you can sell your old gpu when upgrading, so that recoups partially the cost of the upgrade

Avatar image for thegroveman
#7 Posted by thegroveman (123 posts) -

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z said:

@thegroveman said:

You can get a good PC for $6-800, but you won't get more than 3 years of decent performance out of it without updating the graphics card and/or increasing RAM at that 2-3 year mark, which turns it in to a $8-1,000 PC.

Increasing the Ram? WHy? Do you think games will require 16gb in 2-3 years?

Also you can sell your old gpu when upgrading, so that recoups partially the cost of the upgrade

I haven't built a PC in a few years, I've moved to consoles after I had kids, so my thoughts may be a bit dated :) For $600 you'd probably be sitting at 4 GB, right? I'm not talking about going to 16, but in 3 years 8 will likely be the standard. Good point about reselling the GPU, I never bought high end GPUs back in the day, just midrange so they weren't worth much when I replaced them.

Avatar image for FerdMertz
#8 Posted by FerdMertz (1034 posts) -

I'm the stereotypical console gamer. The only PC game I've ever played was House of the Dead 2 at least 10 years ago. I'm 36 years old and I don't know jack shit about computers.

I'm under the impression that for a PC to beat the available graphics on the X1/PS4 you have to spend over $1000.

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
#9 Edited by K1ngd0m4g3rul3z (179 posts) -

@thegroveman said:

@k1ngd0m4g3rul3z said:

@thegroveman said:

You can get a good PC for $6-800, but you won't get more than 3 years of decent performance out of it without updating the graphics card and/or increasing RAM at that 2-3 year mark, which turns it in to a $8-1,000 PC.

Increasing the Ram? WHy? Do you think games will require 16gb in 2-3 years?

Also you can sell your old gpu when upgrading, so that recoups partially the cost of the upgrade

I haven't built a PC in a few years, I've moved to consoles after I had kids, so my thoughts may be a bit dated :) For $600 you'd probably be sitting at 4 GB, right? I'm not talking about going to 16, but in 3 years 8 will likely be the standard. Good point about reselling the GPU, I never bought high end GPUs back in the day, just midrange so they weren't worth much when I replaced them.

Well I reckon you can squeeze 8gb 1600 mhz ram in a 600$ build.

And it doesn't matter if the card is midrange or high end, it's gonna lose about 50%-60% of its value in 2 years time, so if buying a similarly priced one you save 40% at least.

I sold my 6870 Asus DirectCU II (148€ in June-July 2011) for 75€ and got a 7950 Sapphire Dual Boost X(which is actually higher end) for 150€, so at the end of the day I only paid 75€ after 2.5 years.

Avatar image for El_Zo1212o
#11 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6054 posts) -

I was going to put my money on 800-1200, but since it's a poll, I'll go with the higher number.

Avatar image for Kloney
#13 Posted by Kloney (659 posts) -

The one I'm looking at is 1200

Avatar image for heretrix
#14 Posted by heretrix (37792 posts) -

Oh GHOD. I need to get some popcorn for this thread.

Avatar image for donnatroy
#15 Posted by DonnaTroy (245 posts) -

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

Avatar image for lostrib
#16 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@donnatroy said:

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

*facepalm*

Avatar image for donnatroy
#17 Edited by DonnaTroy (245 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@donnatroy said:

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

*facepalm*

Avatar image for lostrib
#18 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@donnatroy said:

@lostrib said:

@donnatroy said:

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

*facepalm*

Oh this is another alt troll. You're an idiot

Avatar image for iambatman7986
#19 Edited by iambatman7986 (2487 posts) -

Mine was $1600, I could do it for cheaper but it does hamper with the output of the games if you go cheaper. I wanted something that would Max the best games. Plus that is with kb/mouse, headset, and the os.

Avatar image for zassimick
#20 Posted by zassimick (10378 posts) -

I couldn't say. I'm not sure what parts I would need and how much each part would cost. Then factor in is someone building it for me, am I purchasing it all prebuilt, or am I 'attempting' to do it myself?

Judging on what people say here though, I guess it would be around $600 - $800 for a decent machine.

Avatar image for caseypayne69
#21 Posted by caseypayne69 (5394 posts) -

Is the vote on building a gaming PC or buying one from a store. To me if it is a built one than it will cost $1,000 to be semi future proof. If store bought than $1,600.

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#22 Edited by AdobeArtist (24648 posts) -

If we're talking for capable performance but also that the hardware can comfortably run most games, I'd say $800. But expect to upgrade down the road.

To get ideal optimized performance with most games running at max settings (or near there) with all the bells and whistles, then should be looking at $1200-$1500. Also saves the need to upgrade later.

Avatar image for Pray_to_me
#23 Posted by Pray_to_me (4041 posts) -

To me fiddling with PC parts souring the net building shit, ghosting my HD etc is not fun. Redownloading and installing all my games and programs is not fun. PC's gotta be future proof for me I don't wan't to have to upgrade for 5 years which means top of the line parts that won't fail. so yeah $2000+

Avatar image for GioVela2010
#24 Edited by GioVela2010 (4317 posts) -

About 11,000 after u include a proper Home Theater Setup

Avatar image for lostrib
#25 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

About 11,000 after u include a proper Home Theater Setup

that's not a required part of a PC

Avatar image for AdobeArtist
#26 Posted by AdobeArtist (24648 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

About 11,000 after u include a proper Home Theater Setup

that's not a required part of a PC

Don't feed the troll ;)

Avatar image for Snugenz
#27 Posted by Snugenz (13388 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

To me fiddling with PC parts souring the net building shit, ghosting my HD etc is not fun. Redownloading and installing all my games and programs is not fun. PC's gotta be future proof for me I don't wan't to have to upgrade for 5 years which means top of the line parts that won't fail. so yeah $2000+

You sour the net every time you post so kindly stop.

Avatar image for good_sk8er7
#28 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4325 posts) -

I voted $800

Avatar image for cain006
#29 Edited by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I bought my PC for around $800 3 years ago I think. I still play the most recent games at decent settings. Spend much more and you'll start getting diminishing returns and spend less and there's not much point in having a PC.

Avatar image for lostrib
#30 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@lostrib said:

that's not a required part of a PC

Don't feed the troll ;)

Aye aye, captain. Although not sure why you guys still let him hang around. Is it just out of pity?

Avatar image for MBirdy88
#31 Posted by MBirdy88 (12130 posts) -

@donnatroy said:

@lostrib said:

@donnatroy said:

The cost? Giving up the greatest AAA console exclusives and becoming a petitioner to have them, hopefully ported. That's the cost of pc gaming.

*facepalm*

oh look, another movie game which focuses on graphics over gameplay. "Sony Domination Continuation" .... in the movie industry.

Avatar image for uevenliftbro
#32 Posted by UevenLiftBro (77 posts) -

$399, as much as a PS4 is now that PS4 can do computer games on ultra

Avatar image for NFJSupreme
#33 Posted by NFJSupreme (6487 posts) -

For what I would call "decent" 600 to $700 is all you need these days.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2tpVA

Avatar image for bezza2011
#34 Posted by bezza2011 (2729 posts) -

Ive put $1200, yes you can build a good pc for less but a 600 700 pc would get you ps4 launch graphics slightly better but it just wouldn't be future proof, next gen isn't battlefield 4, pc next gen starts next year when the new CPUs come out a 1200 machine will get you by for a few years, if anyone thinks different and think a 600 machine will beat a ps4 3 years down the line is crazy esp when there using 8gb gddr5 it would cost more for you to get that sort of ram to bwgin with

Avatar image for GioVela2010
#35 Edited by GioVela2010 (4317 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

About 11,000 after u include a proper Home Theater Setup

that's not a required part of a PC

It is for my PC setup

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#36 Posted by MonsieurX (36746 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

About 11,000 after u include a proper Home Theater Setup

that's not a required part of a PC

It is for my PC setup

Still not required to actually play games

Avatar image for billing
#38 Edited by billing (639 posts) -

$800 - $1200 (if you dont already have a 2560 X 1440 27" monitor, which is recommend you do.)

Avatar image for wis3boi
#39 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@lostrib said:

that's not a required part of a PC

Don't feed the troll ;)

Aye aye, captain. Although not sure why you guys still let him hang around. Is it just out of pity?

Avatar image for lamprey263
#40 Posted by lamprey263 (34416 posts) -

is there an unspoken agreement that everyone is installing a pirated copy of Windows on their PCs?

Avatar image for lostrib
#41 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

is there an unspoken agreement that everyone is installing a pirated copy of Windows on their PCs?

No

Avatar image for GioVela2010
#42 Posted by GioVela2010 (4317 posts) -

Oh add another $110 for the Perfect Bass Kit which came in today!

E0ZACty.jpg

Avatar image for lostrib
#43 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@GioVela2010 said:

Oh add another $110 for the Perfect Bass Kit which came in today!

What does fishing have to do with video games?

Avatar image for GioVela2010
#44 Posted by GioVela2010 (4317 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Oh add another $110 for the Perfect Bass Kit which came in today!

What does fishing have to do with video games?

Where the jokes!?

Avatar image for Couth_
#45 Posted by Couth_ (10369 posts) -

IMO first time build starting with nothing should be $1500-1800 with monitor, gaming mouse, mechanical keyboard and shit.. I know none of shit is not REQUIRED but in the real world I can't tell you how many people I have seen set their budget for 800-1000 and then add on things and add on and add on until they hit that $1500 sweet spot.. You can go bare bones for 500-1000 but that's kind of lame..

Avatar image for darkangel115
#46 Posted by darkangel115 (4449 posts) -

i have a 2500 dollar gaming laptop, i don't play pc games at all really. but 600 can build one better then the X1 or PS4 spec wise, but 1000 is really the bottom line for a good gaming PC.

Avatar image for killatwill15
#47 Posted by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@lostrib said:

that's not a required part of a PC

Don't feed the troll ;)

Aye aye, captain. Although not sure why you guys still let him hang around. Is it just out of pity?

anybody who writes *facepalm* deserves pity, man those guys are lame,

but to be on topic......

1200 would be the magic number yall,

the price is right

Avatar image for Rayrota
#48 Posted by Rayrota (1456 posts) -

Way more than I can afford. :-P Hooray for old PC games and hooray for Steam.

Avatar image for whiskeystrike
#49 Posted by whiskeystrike (12172 posts) -

Over 9000 clearly.

Avatar image for plageus900
#50 Posted by plageus900 (2324 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@GioVela2010 said:

Oh add another $110 for the Perfect Bass Kit which came in today!

What does fishing have to do with video games?

Shhh! He'll show us a picture of his sunglasses or something if you keep talking to him.