Fishy COD eel flounders

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-15-uber-eats-free-cod-with-cod-offer-leaves-bad-taste-in-customers-mouths

Not really surprising, probably abused by nefarious people as well as i'm guessing.

Uber Eats' free COD with cod offer leaves bad taste in customers' mouths

Horrific promotion." "Very disappointed." "Cheap marketing trick." "Lies!" Just some of the responses found online to Uber Eats' offer of a free Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 copy when purchasing fish and chips last Friday.

The highly-publicised promotion - which offered a free copy of COD when you ordered a £7.99 cod and chips from one of three participating Harry Ramsden's resturants while stocks lasted - seemed too good to be true. And indeed it was.

Stocks did not last, despite the promotion being advertised as available all weekend. Uber Eats customers hungry for a deal claim they refreshed their apps constantly only to find the offer marked as sold out or unavailable as soon as it was supposed to go live. Some who did manage to place an order report their purchases were later cancelled or not accepted by the resturants.

Responding to the issues on its Twitter the following morning, Harry Ramsden's stated:

"The anticipation and enthusiasm for the new COD game were demonstrated in the speed at which the promotion sold out in our London and Manchester stores.

"Due to an unfortunately timed technical issue in our Birmingham outlet a small number of gaming enthusiasts were initially left disappointed.

"As soon as we were made aware of the issue, the matter was shared with the team at UberEats and swiftly resolved. #CodForCod #COD"

I spoke to Harry Ramsden's customer support this morning and asked how exactly the matter had been resolved. The support rep I talked with advised me the deal was an Uber Eats promotion, and that anyone affected should contact Uber Eats instead.

However, I was told there were only 40 copies of the game made available in total - roughly 13 for each store. Where these actually ended up, the chain could not say.

Speaking to Uber Eats on the phone, a company representative advised me to contact the company again via its website. The firm has seemingly only provided customers with canned responses over what went wrong.

"To celebrate the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Uber Eats offered customers a copy of the game for no extra cost when ordering portions of cod and chips - while stocks lasted," an Uber spokesperson said in a statement provided to Eurogamer this morning. "The Cod for CoD Bundle (priced at £7.99) was available in three participating Harry Ramsden restaurants; London (Victoria), Manchester (Castlemore), Birmingham (Barclaycard Arena). The demand from the public was overwhelming and the bundle sold out within minutes.

"We are aware of some customer complaints which we are investigating and will update those customers accordingly."

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Such an obvious con. Some companies don't inform consumers of how many copies they have, and simply state they weren't in the few... Others stipulate the amount of copies of games and/or hardware, and can prove those were attained by customers. By-and-large it would go unrecognized, but UberEats tried it with a hotly anticipated game release... Literal idiots.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:

Classic bait the hook and switch. I'd be carping too. A real crappie thing to do. People probably feel catfished by these sharks.

vikudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By vikudo
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Thanks & Regards iGameGuardian

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26641 Posts

If they did actually provide copies, how many of them do you think went to employees of the stores?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#7 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

well, now I want fish & chips. thanks a lot

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

If they did actually provide copies, how many of them do you think went to employees of the stores?

No doubt someone, somewhere, would be doing some underhanded shit.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Probably had 1 copy.