tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33555 Posts

This will probably be officially announced in the stream that's going up a couple of hours from now. Speeds are 7000MB/s for Sequential Read and 4100MB/s, 5300MB/s and 5100MB/s for Sequential Write in the 500GB, 1TB and 2TB respectively.

Prices are $149.99 for 500GB, $229.99 for 1TB and $449.99 for 2TB. These prices will surely go down as time goes by like every single drive does.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd#WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0

Price seem about right but the 500GB look kind of over priced.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3326 Posts

good we have choices. plus by next year the market will be saturated with ssd to choose from that will be fast enough.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By regnaston
Member since 2008 • 1732 Posts

@tormentos said:

This will probably be officially announced in the stream that's going up a couple of hours from now. Speeds are 7000MB/s for Sequential Read and 4100MB/s, 5300MB/s and 5100MB/s for Sequential Write in the 500GB, 1TB and 2TB respectively.

Prices are $149.99 for 500GB, $229.99 for 1TB and $449.99 for 2TB. These prices will surely go down as time goes by like every single drive does.

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850-nvme-ssd#WDS100T1X0E-00AFY0

hmmm $229 for a 1TB drive. Some Sony fans here insisted their solution would be cheaper than the Series X solution

edit: and it is $249 with a heatsink which I assume the PS5 will need

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 9962 Posts

Nice. Its really good knowing that these are standards and used in many millions of users PS5 and PC which will drive prices down as other manufacturers also compete.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 371 Posts

@regnaston: heatsink i would imagine is for pc who knows, what Xbox fanboys and girls need to understand when you have 3rd party competing for the market the prices tend to drop quick and possibilities of sales are high, if more 3rd announce new 4.0 ssd prices might go down fast

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 6429 Posts

Wait. I was told that ps5 would have way cheaper cards....what went wrong?

Daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 2831 Posts

Like Lems favorite quote " I love having choices" , just sad that XB series X doesn't have a choice when it comes which company to buy from.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 8212 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

Like Lems favorite quote " I love having choices" , just sad that XB series X doesn't have a choice when it comes which company to buy from.

Pretty sure that's what hermits say.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 regnaston

@sheep99 said:

@regnaston: heatsink i would imagine is for pc who knows, what Xbox fanboys and girls need to understand when you have 3rd party competing for the market the prices tend to drop quick and possibilities of sales are high, if more 3rd announce new 4.0 ssd prices might go down fast

Yep I agree competition drives down prices

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#10 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 45061 Posts

@tormentos said:

29 days earlier

The price seem to be on the high end side,$219 thats $80 dollars less than a series S and 1/3 the price of the serires X. Link

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 regnaston

@Pedro: LOL yep I wasn't going to name names

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 15836 Posts

@regnaston said:
@tormentos said:

hmmm $229 for a 1TB drive. Some Sony fans here insisted their solution would be cheaper than the Series X solution

That $229 is for a drive that has double the performance of the Seagate drive. The heatsink won't be necessary.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro  Online

@Zero_epyon said:

That $229 is for a drive that has double the performance of the Seagate drive. The heatsink won't be necessary.

Double the spec. We don't know what the actual performance would equate to. Also, how do you know the heatsink won't be necessary?

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 briguyb13  Online
Member since 2007 • 5161 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Double the performance?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zero_epyon

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Double the spec. We don't know what the actual performance would equate to. Also, how do you know the heatsink won't be necessary?

@briguyb13 said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Double the performance?

Sure double spec.

The drive is isolated from the rest of the system in the case so heat shouldn't be a huge issue. If it comes without a heatsink then it's probably fine.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 2705 Posts

high end sdd... hold their prices for a long time.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 15725 Posts

@Zero_epyon: PCIE Gen 4 NVME drives NEED a heatsink, even on PC

This is why GiantBomb said that the Series X expandable drive was hot. It is the heat sink on the outside.

Not having one leads to drive failure or thermal throttling.

https://www.pcgamer.com/dont-forget-the-heatink-for-your-crazy-fast-pcie-40-ssd/

Keep in mind that consoles are accessing the drives even when the console is in standby mode

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 6429 Posts

@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:

29 days earlier

The price seem to be on the high end side,$219 thats $80 dollars less than a series S and 1/3 the price of the serires X. Link

Oh that's hysterical 🀣🀣🀣

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16028 Posts

I was expecting them to be pretty pricey at launch but the prices will drop over the next few years.

I will certainly be expanding the storage in my PS5 at some point but it certainly wont be day one. the 650 ish GB will be enough to keep me busy gaming wise for a good while.

I'm really happy Sony decided to go down the off the shelf part route. now if they can also make the PS5 smart enough to boot from the external SSD in case of internal SSD failure that would be truly awesome.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

because mark said in the dive the ssd needs to be 5.5 gigs per second or more. seagate one is 2.5 gigs per second just like the one inside the series x. which = double the performance.

don't think it needs a heat sink because the slot has holes on the side of it that is straight air flow to the fan.

see at the top on the back side of it. there are openings to the fan. see how there is nothing in between the fan and the ssd slot its all open to the middle space to the ssd storage slot.

hard to explain wish i could draw a circle around the area im talking about.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 regnaston

@navyguy21: on the XSX Seagate drive the shell acts as a heat sink from what I have read

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pedro  Online

@sealionact: He is going to abandon this thread or he will be forced to face his famous words....hypocrisy. Which one will it be?🀭

@gifford38:Review the comments prior to yours.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gifford38

@Pedro said:

@sealionact: He is going to abandon this thread or he will be forced to face his famous words....hypocrisy. Which one will it be?🀭

@gifford38:Review the comments prior to yours.

not sure what im looking for? all I said it has to be 5.5 or faster which is still faster than 2.5.

I also said I don't think so means im not sure but i was looking at the break down and noticed how close the ssd slot is to the fan.

im not damage controlling. wanted to see your thoughts about the ssd slot and the opening that is open straight to the fan.

also note that im sure sony tested it already when they took 2 years testing the cooling.

but we will see if it needs to have a heatsink.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7594 Posts

I'm not up to speed on ssd prices, but those seem to be IMO on the pricey side. Nearly the cost of the ps5 for a 2tb drive...Uggghhh.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zero_epyon

@navyguy21 said:

This is why GiantBomb said that the Series X expandable drive was hot. It is the heat sink on the outside.

https://www.pcgamer.com/dont-forget-the-heatink-for-your-crazy-fast-pcie-40-ssd/

Keep in mind that consoles are accessing the drives even when the console is in standby mode

I was under the impression that heatsinks were only necessary when you expect to have heavy, sustained loads. While in standby mode, the system is usually doing downloads that don't push the drives so hard since internet speeds are the bottleneck.

The heat actually comes from the NVME controller and that's what ends up slowing the drive down. Cooling the entire drive can help maintain sustained max speeds longer but could theoretically reduce the life of the NAND chips since their operating temps need to be warmer than normal ambient temps.

The PS5 does seem to provide some airflow to the nvme compartment that should help keep the controller cool enough to work properly but the drive warm enough so it doesn't risk NAND failure.

The only time you really NEED a heatsink for your drive is when you're doing something that requires large sustained writes to the drive like when you're doing 4K-8K video editing.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zero_epyon

@vfighter said:

I'm not up to speed on ssd prices, but those seem to be IMO on the pricey side. Nearly the cost of the ps5 for a 2tb drive...Uggghhh.

You probably won't need 2TB. At least not right at the start of the gen. Remember you're adding to the 825 GB (664 GB if leaks are true) so a 1TB drive would probably be good enough. Same for the Series X. To my knowledge, there's only a 1TB variant of the expansion disk. Should be enough.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2078 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@navyguy21 said:

I was under the impression that heatsinks were only necessary when you expect to have heavy, sustained loads. While in standby mode, the system is usually doing downloads that don't push the drives so hard since internet speeds are the bottleneck.

The heat actually comes from the NVME controller and that's what ends up slowing the drive down. Cooling the entire drive can help maintain sustained max speeds longer but could theoretically reduce the life of the NAND chips since their operating temps need to be warmer than normal ambient temps.

The PS5 does seem to provide some airflow to the nvme compartment that should help keep the controller cool enough to work properly but the drive warm enough so it doesn't risk NAND failure.

The only time you really NEED a heatsink for your drive is when you're doing something that requires large sustained writes to the drive like when you're doing 4K-8K video editing.

I swear I've read an old article that mentions this. The other NAND likes some heat. It's the tiny controller than should have a heatsink. Can't we just slap in a tiny, after market heatsink on the controller?

Another thing. Isn't the CONTROLLER taken over by the PS5 custom controller and the cooling of the PS5 custom controller should already be built into the system?

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2078 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Nice. Its really good knowing that these are standards and used in many millions of users PS5 and PC which will drive prices down as other manufacturers also compete.

I hope that's the case. Wasn't there a recent price fixing of memory that went for a few years where US calif and CH lawyers hunted them down, thus normalizing prices again?

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 371 Posts

@regnaston: see that’s good news if they are licensing to 3rd party, do 3rd parties have to pay for the license if they do prices will go slower down or dose MS have a saying when to lower the price or its free for all

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro  Online

@gifford38 said:

not sure what im looking for? all I said it has to be 5.5 or faster which is still faster than 2.5.

I also said I don't think so means im not sure but i was looking at the break down and noticed how close the ssd slot is to the fan.

im not damage controlling. wanted to see your thoughts about the ssd slot and the opening that is open straight to the fan.

also note that im sure sony tested it already when they took 2 years testing the cooling.

I don't know if it will need a heatsink or not. Sony is not controlling the quality of these expansions but we will find out eventually

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 regnaston

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

I don't know if it will need a heatsink or not. Sony is not controlling the quality of these expansions but we will find out eventually

This guy does not seem to think the heatsink will be required (mentions it in this videoO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFnXwMo63rY

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos

@regnaston said:

Well this thread deliver in a HUGE way..πŸ˜‚

Quote them.

The argument here is that PC NVME are cheaper than proprietary ones and they are.

The problem here is simple, what are you buying here? Is not a PS5 NVME is a PC NVME that WORKS with the PS5.

Capacity1 TB

InterfacePCIe Gen4 x4

Dimensions (L X W X H)3.15" x 0.87" x 0.09"

Sequential Read Performance 7000MB/s

Sequential Write Performance 5300MB/s

$229

This ^^ NVME is actually faster than the PS5 SSD which already is 120% faster than the xbox series X, this NVME are this expensive on PC without the PS5 been part of the equation, but they come down in price.

Now lest talk about the xbox series X ssd, which for starters is Gen 4 but only 2 lanes not 4, so is 4x2 which is equivalent to Gen 3x4 or a little slower, those NVME are not $219 dollars for 1TB they are $119 or close.

The series X expansion card is 2.4GB/s in other words 2400MB/s that NVME there is 7GB/s or 7,000MB/s.

Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280 TLC R/W

up to 3,400/3,000MB/s SSD

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-Gen3x4-000MB-SU001TBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6GF81L

This is 3.4GB/s this is faster than the series X one, and is $119, the series X expansion is over priced by $100 dollars.

@regnaston said:
@sheep99 said:

Yep I agree competition drives down prices

Doesn't change the fact that is Proprietary, if the xbox sell 30 million units those companies are confined to 30 million possible costumers, which doesn't allow for free market grow, PC has billions of consumers from gaming to working place so making those gets to be much cheaper.

That expansion is shackle to the series X, the NVME on this thread is not is a PC one, Sony isn't making money on this, MS is.

@Pedro said:

29 days earlier

@tormentos said:

There is one thing to notice here as well,while the one of series X is gen 4,it just 2 lanes which mean that speed wise is as fast as a 4 lane gen 3 NVme,those are like $108 not quite on the higher side.

The part that you forgot to quote from that thread.🀣🀣🀣

@Pedro said:

No i actually came to see your tears i as knew you would go straight for my previous thread without making a pit stop to compare what you are buying here vs what you are buying for the series X and spot on man you don't disappoint.

I will not make the argument again read the first quote it is very clear.😎

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro  Online

@tormentos:No amount of damage control would change the following.

@Pedro said:
@tormentos said:

29 days earlier

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tormentos

@Pedro:

There is no damage control you fu** up as usual in your endless quest to beat me.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ready when you are to debate the actual price of what you are getting here vs what you get on series X.

Alto we know you will not.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2384 Posts

But does it support RGB customizations?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9994 Posts

Do any of these plug directly into that port shown in the PS5 teardown or are these all USB connections only?

Either way, waiting for a 2TB to drop to around $120 or so. I know it'll take a couple years. I'm patient.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 2384 Posts

@Telekill: You put it on the port and screw it using a specific-sized screw. At least for the NVME ones.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 2705 Posts

i chuckle on poster thinking game console will lower the price of this m.2..... so much

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9994 Posts

@jasonofa36: Thanks. Looking forward to this in a few years.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro  Online

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

There is no damage control you fu** up as usual in your endless quest to beat me.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ready when you are to debate the actual price of what you are getting here vs what you get on series X.

Alto we know you will not.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

You can't change your words bud. I know you are embarrassed after being exposed. 😎

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tormentos

@Pedro said:

You can't change your words bud. I know you are embarrassed after being exposed. 😎

Ready when you are if you dare.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro  Online

@tormentos:

"The price seem to be on the high end side,$219 thats $80 dollars less than a series S and 1/3 the price of the serires X. Link" πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tormentos

@Pedro said:

@tormentos:

"The price seem to be on the high end side,$219 thats $80 dollars less than a series S and 1/3 the price of the serires X. Link" πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Yes and is on the high side how was i wrong?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro  Online

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

@tormentos:

Yes and is on the high side how was i wrong?

"Price seem about right but the 500GB look kind of over priced."

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tormentos

@Pedro said:

Yes and how am i wrong or contradicting what i claimed about the series X expansion?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro  Online

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

Yes and how am i wrong or contradicting what i claimed about the series X expansion?

"The price seem to be on the high end side,$449.99 2TB that's $50 dollars less than a PS5 and $50 more than the PS5 discless."

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos

@Pedro said:

"The price seem to be on the high end side,$449.99 2TB that's $50 dollars less than a PS5 and $50 more than the PS5 discless."

Yes and how does that contradict what i say about the series X?

How much do 2TB 7000mb/s NVME go for on the market?

The series X one is 1TB and is $219 when its speed is slower than a Gen 3 NVME that cost $119, so if you sell a $100+ NVME for $200+ that is on the high side, even more if performance is slower than actual gen 3x4 speed.

What is the normal cost of a 1TB 7,000MB/s NVME?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-980-pro-1tb-internal-nvme-ssd-for-laptops-and-desktops/6431939.p?skuId=6431939&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8fr7BRDSARIsAK0Qqr6fOsFlHeM7c3EpF23myQzGQcIMRIH67ortVtDd9v4aApyIJIlCOgcaArmdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

$229 how odd.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Internal-Extreme-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TLYWMYW/ref=asc_df_B07TLYWMYW/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343187928868&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1490227297560989918&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006935&hvtargid=pla-783416127304&ref=&adgrpid=68968886357&th=1

The Rocket 4 non plus which is $199 but is slower than the one on this thread, but still double the series X speed.

As you can clearly see one of this NVME are on its normal price range the PS5 is not even here and you can buy this already sony receives nothing, the series X one is over priced by $100 dollars and MS DOES make a profit on it.

It is factually slower than a Gne 3x4 NVME which has 3.4GB/s vs the series X 2.4GB/s.

There is no a single scenario where you or any lemming can win this argument, cost of the NVME is irrelevant to the point which is been over priced because it is proprietary.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pedro  Online

@tormentos: Cool essay bro. You didn't bitch about the price for the PS5, nor compare it to cost of the PS5 despite it being more expensive than the Series X|S. Stop embarrassing yourself.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BlackShirt20  Online
Member since 2005 • 2441 Posts

@Zero_epyon: You have no idea if the performance will double. LOL, in fact from the PS5 leaks we have seen, Xbox Series X cold boots faster then a PS5. So again, regardless of what speed the PS5 has for its SSD. We are literally talking just a few seconds. It’s hardly gonna be noticeable.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 383 Posts

@Pedro: LMAO. Poor Tormentos eating his own words πŸ˜‚