Finalfantasy10 has one of the greatest finales in gaming(spoilers)

#1 Posted by samfisher56 (731 posts) -

What Tidus did was both tragic and amazing. I remember not caring too much about the cheesy story but the ending almost made me cry back in the day. This is a work of genius. Square at its best.

#2 Edited by appariti0n (2310 posts) -

@samfisher56: It was ok, but the Jecht fight music is what sold it for me :)

So out of place for a FF game, but it was awesome.

#3 Posted by Ghosts4ever (5879 posts) -

meh. its just terrible.

a typical romantic melodrama with bad music.

#4 Posted by Jag85 (11378 posts) -

I remember finding the story to be hit-and-miss, but the finale gave the feels. However, I'd say Crisis Core had the most emotional finale in the series.

One thing that made the storytelling of classic FF games (4-10) so interesting back in the days wasn't the main story itself, but the character development. The main story (usually save-the-world stuff, although FFX subverted this trope) was just a background for the character arcs, which was where the real meat of the story lied.

#5 Posted by Arach666 (23254 posts) -

@samfisher56 said:

This is a work of genius. Square at its best.

Well,and then being the genius that they were they made a direct sequel that completely ruins that ending.

#6 Posted by stuff238 (2787 posts) -

16 years later and I still don’t understand the ending of FFX.

I am currently replaying it on PS4. Hopefully it finally clicks with me in the end.

#7 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9768 posts) -

I never liked the ending of FFX, especially after IX which had an awesome ending IMO. But maybe it's just me who hated the whole "living dream" concept and that Tidus talks about the game being his story when it's really about Yuna

#8 Posted by samfisher56 (731 posts) -

@Arach666 said:
@samfisher56 said:

Well,and then being the genius that they were they made a direct sequel that completely ruins that ending.

i never played the sequel mainly because the story was absolutely perfect as it was

#9 Edited by Jag85 (11378 posts) -
@Arach666 said:
@samfisher56 said:

Both games had different directors:

FFX - Yoshinori Kitase, the director of FF 6-8 and Chrono Trigger

FFX-2 - Motomu Toriyama, the director of the FF13 trilogy

#10 Posted by 2mrw (5730 posts) -

Agreed. It goes down as one of the most memorable ending of all time to me.

I wish if we could see another X3 ... a good one this time.

#11 Posted by Arach666 (23254 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@Arach666 said:
@samfisher56 said:

I wasn't aware of that but that doesn't change that fact that it's the same company. Director change or not,it was still a direct sequel to FFX and it's the canonical end to that story.

#12 Posted by Litchie (21268 posts) -

I was gonna watch the whole thing so that I could make fun of it properly, but it was too long and boring.

#13 Posted by Ghosts4ever (5879 posts) -

@Litchie said:

I was gonna watch the whole thing so that I could make fun of it properly, but it was too long and boring.

i agree. its very boring.

#14 Edited by Jag85 (11378 posts) -

@Arach666 said:
@Jag85 said:
@Arach666 said:
@samfisher56 said:

I wasn't aware of that but that doesn't change that fact that it's the same company. Director change or not,it was still a direct sequel to FFX and it's the canonical end to that story.

Just a month after FFX-2 released in Japan, Square-Enix was founded. For all intents and purposes, FFX-2 is a Square-Enix game.

#15 Posted by Netret0120 (3493 posts) -

I love FFX (Look at avatar) but the greatest gaming finale is a bit much. It is also a subjective thing so FFX might be trash for some and amazing for others. However I am sure we can agree that the ending had us in the feels:P

Losing Auron sucked. Loved that guy. I used to find Tidus annoying but his growth through the game had me feeling sad at the end when he had to leave Yuna.

#16 Posted by MonsieurX (37256 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

meh. its just terrible.

So, you're telling us you played this game

#17 Posted by Vatusus (8431 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

meh. its just terrible.

Seeing how much you hate consoles and JRPGs I highly doubt you ever played it

#18 Posted by madsnakehhh (16265 posts) -

Didn't care that much for FFX as a whole, but I have to agree on this one, the ending was great...sadly, we got X-2 and my God, what a joke.

#19 Edited by Shewgenja (19553 posts) -

I never understood what happened in FFX. Probably because I lost interest after the second, third, or fourth fight with Syemour. I'm only mildly curious about what they did to unkink whatever loop made Sin come back over and over again. Something to do with why Zanarkand fell, but apparently Zanarkand isn't really Zanarkand... Eff it. I played and beat all the FF games until X. It was the first time I was let down by a Squaresoft game.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (23878 posts) -

Yeah it was a great ending to a great game.

#21 Edited by DoroG1995 (1358 posts) -

I didn't like the ending because it showed that Tidus didn't give a damn about Yuna.(Just jumps out of the ship and gives a high five to his father.)

#22 Posted by MarkoftheSivak (146 posts) -

FF X was atrocious. I tried several times, putting 10+ hours each time into the game and I never could understand why people loved it so much.

I would say only a few FF entries are worse than X, namely VIII and XIII.

#23 Posted by omegaMaster (616 posts) -

FFX itself is the perfect JRPG game. Square shouldn't have made a sequel.

#24 Posted by superbuuman (6088 posts) -

Ah Tight-ass & Tuna...one of the FF games I finish... :P

#25 Posted by Jag85 (11378 posts) -

@MarkoftheSivak said:

FF X was atrocious. I tried several times, putting 10+ hours each time into the game and I never could understand why people loved it so much.

I would say only a few FF entries are worse than X, namely VIII and XIII.

What was it that turned you off each time? Was it the gameplay, the story, or the voice acting?

#26 Posted by henrythefifth (1075 posts) -

I could never take this FF seriously, because the heroes were dressed in so silly kiddie clothes, even kindergarden kids would refuse to wear them...

Thank heaven FFXV gives the heroes modern, sensible clothes so they do not look like circus freaks.

#27 Posted by Jag85 (11378 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:

I could never take this FF seriously, because the heroes were dressed in so silly kiddie clothes, even kindergarden kids would refuse to wear them...

Thank heaven FFXV gives the heroes modern, sensible clothes so they do not look like circus freaks.

Then I suppose you wouldn't be able to take movies from the '60s, '70s or '80s seriously because of the crazy fashions back then?

#28 Posted by henrythefifth (1075 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@henrythefifth said:

Then I suppose you wouldn't be able to take movies from the '60s, '70s or '80s seriously because of the crazy fashions back then?

No one on earth has ever worn so silly clothes as the heroes do in, say, FF9. In that game, the monkey hero seems to be wearing a part of women's lingerie for a vest. And the magician, what the heck is that thing he's wearing? Ouch!

Compare these to attires seen in Kojima's games. Now there's cool fashion.

#29 Posted by Jag85 (11378 posts) -

@henrythefifth said:
@Jag85 said:
@henrythefifth said:

No one on earth has ever worn so silly clothes as the heroes do in, say, FF9. In that game, the monkey hero seems to be wearing a part of women's lingerie for a vest. And the magician, what the heck is that thing he's wearing? Ouch!

Compare these to attires seen in Kojima's games. Now there's cool fashion.

FFIX's Zidane doesn't wear anything of the sort. You must be confusing him with the antagonist Kuja... Now that's what I'd call a circus freak.

#30 Posted by Valgaav_219 (1456 posts) -

@omegamaster said:

FFX itself is the perfect JRPG game. Square shouldn't have made a sequel.

I agree with you completely but I did kind of like X-2 when I played it back then. I didn't take it too seriously and I also don't treat it as canon. FFX's ending is the ending imo tbh

#31 Posted by Dr_Vancouver (738 posts) -

My absolute favorite FF. The music still shatters my heart to this day.