Final Fantasy XIV continues to do the biz

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

Is this is the greatest turn around in gaming history?

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers-review/1900-6417212/

Some of its changes to the player experience are still causing a little discomfort during this teething phase, but Shadowbringers makes a strong case for itself as the game's most engaging expansion. It's not just the sheer scale and strength of the narrative weaving in years of old lore without cheapening the experience for new players, or the immaculately designed boss fights replete with spectacular music and thematic touches. It's also the implementation of the Trust system and the chance to truly feel the impact of the Warrior of Light's decisions over the past expansions through exploring the stories of your companions. For a story that starts with a laser focus on your character's motivations and misgivings, it tells a tale that ends up being the biggest and the best that Final Fantasy XIV has ever told. Equal parts redemption, vengeance, cruelty, and sassy Elezen, Shadowbringers promises a hell of a lot when you take your first steps into Norvrandt and delivers a truly spectacular finish even if it stumbles a little along the way.

THE GOOD
Well-paced narrative displays heart and efficient storytelling
Trust system improves accessibility and creates new avenues for storytelling
Long-time supporting cast members receive a captivating new lease of life
Expertly crafted dungeons elevated by a powerful soundtrack and strong narrative ties
THE BAD
Balance issues persist across roles as the new classes feel unbalanced at launch
Quest design sometimes suffers from baffling requirements
#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (28154 posts) -

Yeah they’ve really done an excellent job with Final Fantasy XIV since it first launched I just wish it would come to the Xbox One already. Square-Enix and Microsoft, please work together to make this happen. Thank you.

#3 Edited by Howmakewood (5930 posts) -

It's the best FF since IX

#4 Edited by lundy86_4 (53374 posts) -

Nice. My brother got back into it a while ago... I wanted to, but starting a new character at this point would just be tedious. I probably put 300+ hours into the game.

#5 Posted by JoshRMeyer (10449 posts) -

This game was the reason I bought a PS4. Great game.

#6 Posted by ProtossRushX (5442 posts) -

I'm training to be the warrior of darkness

#7 Edited by Maroxad (15263 posts) -

Not surprised.

This is easily the strongest expansion for the game. And Heavensward got a 9/10 as well. Storywise, this isn't just the best story for FF14. But also one of the best stories for the entire franchise, period.

Some side quest characters have more depth to them than Stormblood's main characters xD

Just yesterday I was doing a sidequest about a mother, who after being neglected by her husband (due to his gambling habits) ran away. And started building some terrible connections, as a form of escapism, she turned to drugs. Which, had a severe impact on her mental health. And she resorted to trying to sell her son to slavery.

Edit: On a System Wars related perspective, me and @howmakewood found out we both played on the same server. Chaos->Omega. So we added eachother to our friends lists a while back.

#8 Edited by KungfuKitten (26647 posts) -

I just can't get myself to get back into an MMO. But it sounds cool for those who aren't burned out yet.

I watched some gameplay and the 100 skill buttons that were on-screen turned me off a little.

In that sense I really enjoyed the GW2 system where you get a lot of skills but you only have so many slots to take with you into combat.

(Also, is Heavensward now included in Shadowbringers or so? I don't see Heavensward listed anymore on Steam.)

#9 Posted by Litchie (24037 posts) -

If I'd ever get the urge to play an MMO, either this or Elder Scrolls Online seem pretty good.

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Nice. My brother got back into it a while ago... I wanted to, but starting a new character at this point would just be tedious. I probably put 300+ hours into the game.

Same, maxed out before the expansion as one of those blue hulk people as 98% of the server were catgirls. Just too time consuming.

Still, was a great game, enjoyed it far more than Worlds Of The Warcrafs for solo-content and drop-in, drop-out.

#11 Posted by sakaiXx (5707 posts) -

The best part is how they also exposed the fraud Phil for not allowing ffxiv on the system.

#12 Posted by Pedro (34953 posts) -

This game is so painfully boring.

#13 Edited by lundy86_4 (53374 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Same, maxed out before the expansion as one of those blue hulk people as 98% of the server were catgirls. Just too time consuming.

Still, was a great game, enjoyed it far more than Worlds Of The Warcrafs for solo-content and drop-in, drop-out.

Yeah, they really turned the game around after the original launch. I enjoyed playing solo, whilst also jumping in with my bro at times.

They do a quick-road to 60 now with added XP, but i've missed so much content that jumping back in is tedious. Plus, I got heavily into the crafting aspect, and I don't feel much like grinding that shit again lol.

#14 Posted by svaubel (4131 posts) -

I really gave FF14 a chance, but could just not get into it and Ive been playing MMOs since Everquest.

Good on it doing so well though!

#15 Posted by dragonfly110 (27892 posts) -

I really should go back to FF14. ESO has pretty much been my exclusive MMO for a few years now, but I really do wanna delve back into it. Wish they'd just axe the monthly fee.

#16 Posted by remiks00 (3822 posts) -

I've thought about going back to it. I miss my Paladin; hella fun tanking the high level dungeon raids. The only thing that truely sucked in FF14 was the tedious, extremely boring fetch quest grind to get all of the dungeon content through the story ( Realm reborn).