Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VII

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Poll Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VII (82 votes)

Final Fantasy VI 62%
Final Fantasy VII 38%

Can we end this once and for all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMWp1oLoA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52-4yk_BYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujtlsiqZ-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_sw0trdNc

• 
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#51 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Have yet to play VII but I loved VI. It's my favorite one so far.

Kefka is awesome; basically the Joker of the FF universe, except he attains more power than Joker could ever hope for. Plus dat laugh

The mid game twist is brilliant. The atmosphere and structure of the latter half of the game makes for some touching moments and fun open ended gameplay. the atmosphere is incredibly bleak, too. When I first saw it, I actually felt hopeless. Like, the music and everything was just depressing.

Cast of characters are awesome; each one has their chance to shine thanks to the way the second half is structured. Plus, come on, Shadow. He's amazing.

The 2D graphics are great looking and hold up well (as long as you don't expect a ton of animation).

The gameplay and the way you learn spells and the emphasis on relics is a lot of fun since you can find a lot of different combinations to completely break the game.

FFVI is one of my favorite RPGs for the above reasons. Plus, you can't say there are very many games that let you suplex a ghost train.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

Easily VI.

Both games are great of course. And both are obviously popular entries in the series. There is a difference though.

The popularity of FFVI stems from it simply being a great game all around. FFVII gained it's popularity from being the "my first rpg" for many gamers around the world. It introduced FMV cutscenes and 3d graphics at just the right time to lure people into a genre that they previously would not touch. Had FFVII been a 16 bit game with the same gameplay systems and same story we wouldn't even be having this conversation since FFVI trumps it in every way. However, since FFVII brought some flash to the table it managed to pull in gamers that were only used to playing action games, platformers, beat-em-ups, fighters, etc.. this was a time in gaming when story wasn't too prevalent. So these people who had FFVII for their first story driven experience naturally fell in love with it. Nothing wrong with that either, just pointing it out.

FFVI takes the win in gameplay, story, characters and world design. Imo these are the most important factors. And even though FFVII had killer presentation for its time (easily mopping the floor with FFVI in terms of technical awe), it turns out that FFVI aged much better even visually.

Honestly, I see no leg for FFVII to stand on in this comparison. FFVI has staying power for all the right reasons.

I know this post may come off as hateful, but I actually love FFVII... you just can't go comparing it to Squares best achievements like FFVI or Chrono Trigger.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I prefer FF7 overall; the only thing I prefer with FF6 is the villain.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#54  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Final Fantasy VII of course. I was like...so sad when Aerith died. I think I wanted to kill myself. Don't really remember.

VI in all seriousness.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I have to go with VI Although I think IX was better then VII.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I enjoyed my adventure on 7 more than 6. The story on 7 feels better, and the playthroug is more enjoyable with it's given in game events. The gameplay for both were more or less the same where as they both used a Materia like substance to attain magic on a turn based rpg. Though cloud's character was a lil bit annoying, Cid was too awesome.

Plus the villain on 6 felt really forced into the game, there was more than 1 occasion he would have been gotten rid of but character's didn't try to and his only excuse was that he became insane out of an experiment sort of like having no character development at all.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Lets go through it.

""represents the old square soft""

""VII represents square enix more where they throw every thing in, are obsessed with CGI cutscenes, and Sequels to already finished stories.""

represents square enix more =/= this game was made by square enix. There is no way you can misconstrued that as me saying it was made by Square enix.

P.S: I'm glad FF6 won, FF7 is a piece of shit game.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Final Fantasy 6 is in my opinion the best game in the series. With that said, neither game is perfect, both combat systems haven't aged all that well, in fact I'd argue 7's combat system aged a little better.

Both have throwaway characters that bring nothing to the plot (Yuffie and Gau spring to mind)

I'd argue visually 6 aged better than 7. 7's poor 3D graphics and its insistence on FMVs detract from the experience imo.

Finally, I feel the main cast is better written, explored and more relatable in , it has a better villain a better twist and a more interesting world imo (Remember: Steampunk wasn't quite as big in 1994/1995 as it is now)