Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VII

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Poll Final Fantasy VI vs Final Fantasy VII (82 votes)

Final Fantasy VI 62%
Final Fantasy VII 38%

Can we end this once and for all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDMWp1oLoA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52-4yk_BYE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujtlsiqZ-E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4_sw0trdNc

• 
Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Played both and loved both.

But FF VII is the better one IMO.

It seems that it's popular now to bash FF VII because it is considered to be not only the best FF but the best RPG of all time by many. High trees catch a lot of wind.

In Japan, FF VI is also not considered to be the best FF by the way, that's why there almost no spin-offs of the game, whilst FF VII has a ton of spin offs.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

You have the people who didnt care much for VII so they feel the need to balance out all the love it gets with their hate. Its gotten to the point now where you have Gametrailers rating FFVII the 5th best Final Fantasy ever, behind Final Fantasy XII. Soon it may not even make the top 10 Final Fantasy lists.

Then theres the mostly bad spinoffs which hurt VII's legacy. Cloud is still portrayed as someone who has not gotten over Aerith's death in Advent Children when it was quite obvious he was a pretty happy camper by the end of the original game. But Nomura, with no Sakaguchi to check his hand, turned Cloud into a mega emo after the game in the spinoffs

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

There's only one answer to this.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

FFVII for me.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Suppaman100

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

You have the people who didnt care much for VII so they feel the need to balance out all the love it gets with their hate. Its gotten to the point now where you have Gametrailers rating FFVII the 5th best Final Fantasy ever, behind Final Fantasy XII. Soon it may not even make the top 10 Final Fantasy lists.

Then theres the mostly bad spinoffs which hurt VII's legacy. Cloud is still portrayed as someone who has not gotten over Aerith's death in Advent Children when it was quite obvious he was a pretty happy camper by the end of the original game. But Nomura, with no Sakaguchi to check his hand, turned Cloud into a mega emo after the game in the spinoffs

Agree 100%.

But the GT list was pure comedy imo, but we all know why the did it,..views. They wanted to be controversial so they could get more views, people talking about it.

And like you said, all of those spin offs didn't help FF VII. But despite all of that, the legacy of FF VII is still strong and it's just the popular thing to do nowadays, to hate on FF VII.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

FFVI easily

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

VI of course

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts

FFVII > FFVI

6 is great and it doesn't do anything. I'd go as far to say that 6 has less flaws than 7. It also has a wonderful premise (a half deity and half human girl exploited by an evil villain) But other than that, I just don't have as much attachment to the world and characters than I do for 7. It doesn't have as much "oh slap" moment as 7 and npcs, towns and rest of the world just doesn't have as much personality as 7.

7 on the other hand is special. I remember it more so as an adventure rather than a game. It doesn't feel like any other game I've played before. It's a very imaginative game. The world is imaginative, the towns and npcs are imaginative, even the enemies are imaginative. Playing 7 just feels like you're dropped into another world. And the characters are very likable as well.

With that said, both games are great but 7 just gave me so much more special moments.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I need to play FFVI. I've been meaning to for a long time, but it's something that just keeps falling through the cracks.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

VI > VII

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

VI > VII easily.

But IX > all.

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

I love all final fantasy before 13

7 vs 6 is a no brainer

FF 6 is THE BEST Final fantasy and second RPG to Chrono Trigger to me. I cared for all of the characters far more then 7. The story was beautiful and fantastic. Locke and Celes , Terra and Edgar. Cyans family, Shadows regret. Its too good. god I probably beat that game over 5 times.

Hell, the world gets destroyed. and frickin Kefka. That sinister bastard. Loved it

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Seabas989

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

But the GT list was pure comedy imo, but we all know why the did it,..views. They wanted to be controversial so they could get more views, people talking about it.

And like you said, all of those spin offs didn't help FF VII. But despite all of that, the legacy of FF VII is still strong and it's just the popular thing to do nowadays, to hate on FF VII.

Final Fantasy XII > Final Fantasy VII.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Suppaman100

@Seabas989 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

Sh*t > FF XII

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Final Fantasy 7.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

VII no doubt.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

6 is better and it always has been. The only people who like 7 better are the ones who never played 6 on snes.

But I'm not a hater though. I would say that 7 is tied for second best with FF4.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ReadingRainbow4

@foxhound_fox said:

All that proves is it's the better version of VI.

VII haters will just have to deal with it.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

VI is the better game.

VI represents the old square soft where they cut the fat in the editing room and gave us the best of the story.
VII represents square enix more where they throw every thing in, are obsessed with CGI cutscenes, and Sequels to already finished stories.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReadingRainbow4

@WilliamRLBaker said:

VI is the better game.

VI represents the old square soft where they cut the fat in the editing room and gave us the best of the story.

VII represents square enix more where they throw every thing in, are obsessed with CGI cutscenes, and Sequels to already finished stories.

Not at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker er wut? Square Enix wasn't even a thing then? it was still Squaresoft....

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

FF4 is still my favorite, but on topic, I'd rather play 6 than 7

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@MBirdy88 said:

@WilliamRLBaker er wut? Square Enix wasn't even a thing then? it was still Squaresoft....

William never knows what he's talking about.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

VI is the better game.

squaresoft didn't merge with enix until 2003 by then they already released even ff x, but then again you are always clueless and a clown.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

VI was the grand opus of the FF series. It had everything. It is the blueprint that all RPGs should aspire to and then for good measure, the bad guy actually wins and changes the scope of everything. Forget best Final Fantasy. It's one of the best games ever crafted. A standing testament to the art of game crafting.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

6 definitely. Played it on the SNES and must have dumped an ungodly amount of hours into it.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

My Top 5 in order:

1. FF6

2. FF7

3. FF8

4. FF9

5. FF10 or FF12

And not much of a fan of FF1, 2, or 4 but I would still play them. 4 at least has a story, so I like it more than 1 and 2 while 3, 5 and 13 are definitely the worsts. 3 and 5 are just boring and extremely tedious to play (3 more so than 5) with absolutely nothing to tell while 13 is just a nonsensical mess of epic proportions that I hate with a passion. Hate the characters, hate the gameplay, hate the linear structure... I hate 13 and its sequels. I hate the fact that it exists because it annoys me to no end. I wish it had another name, so I didn't have to call it Final Fantasy and be part of this legendary series which Square-Enix are ruining/ruined.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11268 Posts

Nope. FFVII is superior. Have you noticed how everyone compares every FF to FFVII? If that doesn't tell you that FFVII is the best FF I don't know what will.

This week it is VI vs VII, last week it was IX vs VII, two months ago it was X vs VII, then it was XII vs VII, then it was VIII vs VII and IV vs VII etc..

when you're at the top, everyone will try to bring you down. Problems of being a market leader..

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

FFVII was more fun gameplay wise, with the materia system and it's various minigames. It also had a more interesting world to explore I thought. FFVII did had a better story, but I still apprciate FFVII's, despite some of its silliness.

Overall I like FFVII more and it is my favorite in the franchise, though VI is easily my second favorite FF.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blamix99

VI VIII IX X XII beats VII for me, playing as a spiky hair super saiyan with a giant sword. then there's this girl Tifa that punches harder than a man. LOL..

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarthaPerkinjan
@blamix99 said:

VI VIII IX X XII beats VII for me, playing as a spiky hair super saiyan with a giant sword. then there's this girl Tifa that punches harder than a man. LOL..

Woah, when did a Super Saiyan stop being cool? At least VII has a main character for the player to latch onto, whereas VI has no main characters at all. Its a character mashup like XII. And Tifa is awesome. How rare is it for such great eye candy to not only have brains but also play a really important part in the story.

Everybody talks like Aerith's death is the emotional part of the game. How about Biggs Wedge and Jessie, Dyne, Red XIII's father, Corel's demise, Nibelheim's demise, Cloud's sickness and more? The game was brilliant from start to finish. Worthy of every bit of praise that it gets.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

Nope. FFVII is superior. Have you noticed how everyone compares every FF to FFVII? If that doesn't tell you that FFVII is the best FF I don't know what will.

This week it is VI vs VII, last week it was IX vs VII, two months ago it was X vs VII, then it was XII vs VII, then it was VIII vs VII and IV vs VII etc..

when you're at the top, everyone will try to bring you down. Problems of being a market leader..

Always has to be that one person equating quantity to quality.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blamix99

@DarthaPerkinjan said:
@blamix99 said:

Woah, when did a Super Saiyan stop being cool? At least VII has a main character for the player to latch onto, whereas VI has no main characters at all. Its a character mashup like XII. And Tifa is awesome. How rare is it for such great eye candy to not only have brains but also play a really important part in the story.

Everybody talks like Aerith's death is the emotional part of the game. How about Biggs Wedge and Jessie, Dyne, Red XIII's father, Corel's demise, Nibelheim's demise, Cloud's sickness and more? The game was brilliant from start to finish. Worthy of every bit of praise that it gets.

sorry.. i enjoyed VII. but i enjoyed the others more

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

fav female FF character.Lighting is second for me...yea I enjoy the 13 games who got a problem with this yo..

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ReadingRainbow4

@finalfantasy94 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

fav female FF character.Lighting is second for me...yea I enjoy the 13 games who got a problem with this yo..

I do, but you said Tifa's your fave so you get a pass.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

VII ... Sephiroth....

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11268 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

@Mozelleple112 said:

Always has to be that one person equating quantity to quality.

Nothing I said had anything to do with quantity or quality.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

6 > 7

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

VI for sure. I also thought VII was great, but VI is on another level.

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts

Unless I'm playing a different FFVI than most of you, I have no ideas why 6 is so much better than 7. Can you FFVI lovers elaborate on what exactly you liked about 6? With so much praises for 6, it can't simply be a coincidence but I just don't get it.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

VI by a large margin.

More interesting + larger cast of playable characters that all had a good deal of depth to them.

Better story

Better music

Better villain Kefka > Sephiroph.

Ultros.

Better combat system, 4 in battle vs 3 + each character had unique combat abilitys.

Espers > materia.

Its graphics have aged better and felt they looked better during that era too tbh... dem polygon models LOL.

VII is still a great game and worth a play through, id rank IX higher than it also though.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Grew up playing all of the FF games until 10 because I didnt like it and 11 was an MMO which I wasnt interested in. I lost interest in the series since then and from what iv heard it isnt that good anyway.

FF7 was my favorite by a mile and I enjoyed 5 more than 6.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

FF7 as a game is overrated. The transition into 3d graphics is merely a continuation of the momentum Squaresoft gained starting in FF4.

It did change the industry, however, and marked Sony as the most dominant company in gaming today and the beginning of the end for Nintendo as a dominant force.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Seabas989

@Suppaman100 said:

@Seabas989 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

Sh*t > FF XII

VII looks like sh*t and plays like sh*t and is written like sh*t.

At least XII had an interesting world (Ivalice).

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Suppaman100

@Seabas989 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@Seabas989 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Agree 100%.

Sh*t > FF XII

VII looks like sh*t and plays like sh*t and is written like sh*t.

At least XII had an interesting world (Ivalice).

Pls don't compare FF VII with that POS nobody likes.

Lol at you defending a wannabe FF game

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Final Fantasy VII is bloated with obnoctious filler and side shit that is very tedious to do, prolonging the game at an average of 70 hours, which makes it a chore to complete if time is limited. Not to mention the load times, low battle framerate and summon animations, all of which combined make the random encounters a painfully frustrating slog to go through. Then there's the antique 3D graphics, which are an acquired taste to stomach. Despite my criticism, i still liked the game, and thought it was the best of the series (not a fan of this FF series in the first place). Until i played Final Fantasy VI.

Final Fantasy VI has none of these issues. The pacing is pretty much perfection, the random encounters never get frustrating thanks to the fact that they take less than a second to load and the battle system is extremely fast, slick 'n easy. The graphics are of a beautiful, detailed and lush 2D pixel art that are very appealing to the eye. The length is at a sweet spot of 30 - 35 hours, which makes completion easily achievable for anyone with a full time job like myself.

FFVII may have its legacy, which i respect. But Final Fantasy VI is simply a better, more enjoyable game to play now, and forever.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DarthaPerkinjan

I disagree that VI's visuals have aged well. Enemies are not animated in battle, they're just a static 2D sprite.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Lucianu said:

Final Fantasy VII is bloated with obnoctious filler and side shit that is very tedious to do, prolonging the game at an average of 70 hours, which makes it a chore to complete if time is limited. Not to mention the load times, low battle framerate and summon animations, all of which combined make the random encounters a painfully frustrating slog to go through. Then there's the antique 3D graphics, which are an acquired taste to stomach. Despite my criticism, i still liked the game, and thought it was the best of the series (not a fan of this FF series in the first place). Until i played Final Fantasy VI.

Final Fantasy VI has none of these issues. The pacing is pretty much perfection, the random encounters never get frustrating thanks to the fact that they take less than a second to load and the battle system is extremely fast, slick 'n easy. The graphics are of a beautiful, detailed and lush 2D pixel art that are very appealing to the eye. The length is at a sweet spot of 30 - 35 hours, which makes completion easily achievable for anyone with a full time job like myself.

FFVII may have its legacy, which i respect. But Final Fantasy VI is simply a better, more enjoyable game to play now, and forever.

I enjoyed all the side shit, it helped fill out the main plot and further develop characters. Which FFVII has in spades, some of the greatest characters to ever grace the FF name.

That's great and all but it doesn't make it a lesser game than 6. VII still has among the best pacing in a game I've ever played, even with just dat first disk. By the time you get out of Shinra HQ and hit the world map for the first time I felt like I've already been through a bad ass journey.

And then you realize it's just beginning? Oh shit, My balls dropped right then and there.