Final Fantasy is the new Sonic.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The new game Lightning Returns pretty much confirms this IMO.

Judging from the details surrounding Lightning Returns, Square-Enix has no fvckin clue what to do with the series anymore, so now they're coming out with the gimmicks full stop. Save the world in thirteen days? lol. Granted, it is true that my favorite game ever (Majora's Mask) does something like this, but I'd bet money that Squenix will not do it in the organic and tasteful way that MM did it. It will be just another mechanical gimmicky "system" from SE.

I know what you guys are going to say. "Final Fantasy always does new things! Were they running out of ideas back then?" The truth is that the changes in the FF series are overstated by fanboys. Most of the games have the same basic framework with some new systems thrown in. Sometimes they worked (the character customization system seen in FFIX), sometimes they didn't (the stupid Junctioning system from FFVIII). But you still had the same basic framework, just with a new story, new art direction, new characters, new universe, etc.

There were some big changes at times, but they all made sense. For instance, the removal of the overworld map in FFX. That made sense at the time. With new hardware, the developers no longer had to rely on such an antiquated way to traverse between locations. Was it too linear? Yes, but getting rid of the overworld map was neccesary for the series to grow. And while some people hated the changes in FFXII, they were a genuine attempts to try a "bigger scope" approach rather than the rather confined congested feel that FF games had since FFVII (the license board was dumb tho).

FFXIII was not a bad game (tho definitely not a great one by any stretch), but it seems clear that the way the game was designed had more to do with Squenix's focus on suped up visuals than anything, hence the corridortastic design of the game (I think the FFXII backlash might have confused them as well, lol). However, I thought FFXIII's modern take on the jobs system was great. It was just too bad that the rest of the game was so paper-thin.

At first I was willing to just write XIII-2 off as another X-2 kind of thing, but now, with this 3rd XIII entry, it really seems like Squenix just really doesn't know what to do with the series and are overcompensating with a whole bunch of weird ideas. Even the descriptions of the different environments seem to be a Frankenstien of different styles meant to please a whole bunch of different tastes. It's similar, IMO, to when Sonic Team had no idea what to do with Sonic and started coming up with bizzare gimmick after bizzare gimmick.

I know some of you are going to call me crazy, but this is what the downfall of a once critically acclaimed series look like. There is a somewhat slight decline in critical reception (FFXIII) and then a series of wild attempts to breath fresh air into a series that is starting to lack a solid design foundation or basic competence. That's not to mention the critical bombs that start happening (FFXIV).

If Squenix wants to save this series from becoming the new Sonic, they should do what Sonic did: go back to basics. In other words, they should simply come up with a new compelling story with new compelling characters and make a traditional JRPG with the fantastic art design that FF games always have. Going back to basics would almost seem fresh at this point.

/end rant.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Sonic redeemed itself with generations in my book.It nailed how a sonic game should be done.

At this point FF needs to take a step back and get back to basics and remember why people loved it.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

Sonic redeemed itself with generations in my book.It nailed how a sonic game should be done.

At this point FF needs to take a step back and get back to basics and remember why people loved it.

razgriz_101
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

They are doing the same thing as Ubisoft with assassins Creed, trying new things and see what people like and dislike, like the defense tower in revelations, lot of people complained about it and so we will probaply never see it again which is a good thing and also the first person puzzle solving.TheGuardian03

I don't really think SE using their audience as a focus group is a very good idea.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Such a variety of poll options. :P
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41597 Posts
Really, I thought the Nintendo franchises were the new Sonics according to SW.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

You're kidding, right?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

You're kidding, right?

Michael0134567

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I like the new changes FFXIII-3 is making (I really don't feel like calling it "Lightning Returns), I just wish the game's battle system could have been in another game that wasn't FFXIII-related. If I want to understand what's going on in FFXIII-3, I'll probably have to purchase FFXIII-2, which is something I don't really want to do because LOL @ Sera being main character and LOL @ DLC. Then again if FFXIII-2's and FFXIII-3's story is anything like the first game, I probably wouldn't understand what's going on even if I did play the second game.

As long as FF doesn't fall so low as to have beastiality in an absolutely broken game though then maybe Square will be able to move on after the XIII series and XV will be more promising.

dreamdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 dreamdude
Member since 2006 • 4627 Posts

I've pretty much been ignoring Final Fantasy for the time being.

My jrpg fixed came from Xenoblade and The Last Story.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Never liked RPGs, but Final Fantasy could never be Sonic to me - I love the series, even the downpoints like Werehog and Winter Olympics.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Guys I didn't like the games so it's as bad as sonic.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

cant really agree. I wont judge this game yet but I will say im a bit iffy on it mainly cause being timed and being solo. It does confuse me insted of expanding more on 13 system they basicly just threw it out.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

lol that recent title sounds so cheesy:P

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
You are definitely overexaggerating. Also you do realize theres more than one development team at square? The guy who makes the 13 series is not the same person that made Type 0, Versus, 12, 14, or the new 15. 10 million people bought the 13 series. Theyres an obvious interest in it. Also square does vastly change the battle system. The only similarities in most final fantasys is an ATB system. Maybe you should wait to see actual game footage before going on a presumptious rant?
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
You are definitely overexaggerating. Also you do realize theres more than one development team at square? The guy who makes the 13 series is not the same person that made Type 0, Versus, 12, 14, or the new 15. 10 million people bought the 13 series. Theyres an obvious interest in it. Also square does vastly change the battle system. The only similarities in most final fantasys is an ATB system. Maybe you should wait to see actual game footage before going on a presumptious rant?Capitan_Kid
it sold 10 millions, not 10 millions people brought the games
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]You are definitely overexaggerating. Also you do realize theres more than one development team at square? The guy who makes the 13 series is not the same person that made Type 0, Versus, 12, 14, or the new 15. 10 million people bought the 13 series. Theyres an obvious interest in it. Also square does vastly change the battle system. The only similarities in most final fantasys is an ATB system. Maybe you should wait to see actual game footage before going on a presumptious rant?da_illest101

Either way. A helluva lot of people bought the games for the series to sell 10 mill. Lots of people like these games
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Not nearly that bad yet. There have been truly broken FF games (console games, not FFXIV), not like Sonic (Sonic 2006).

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Sonic is a franchise in which the premise failed the games, Final Fantasy is the complete opposite.

chocolatesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chocolatesoda
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

razgriz_101

I recall a similar comment being made before FF7 was released. Not much has changed in the fandom since then.

Oh, well. Ignorance is bliss!

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I really hate to agree, but part of me wants to.

Remember when that new Final fantasy got announced? It was a huge deal. I remember reading through playstation magazine, game informer, EGM that I got in the mail as a kid and would eagerly anticipate that **** those games used to have a certain magic to them.

Really sad, I hope they don't make a 4th one after this.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

People have complained about every Final Fantasy game since FF7.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

Bring back the world map. People liked it. It gives the game a sense of scale. It would look sensational at current gen graphical capabilities.

Bring back characters with menace. No more crying pre teens (Hope.)

I'm currently playing through Lunar Silver Star from the mid 90s, and I'm having a lot more fun than I did with FFXIII. It's charming. The soundtrack is better. There is a sense of exploration.

FFXIII was one long corridor after another and the story didn't make any sense.

Haven't played the sequel as the first one killed my appreciation of it. They need to be forced to play through the first 6 and work from there.

creamncookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 creamncookie
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts
I guess some people aren't aware of what nostalgia is like TC.
creamncookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 creamncookie
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts
I guess some people aren't aware of what nostalgia is. Yes, TC, I'm talking about you.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Remember when that new Final fantasy got announced? It was a huge deal. I remember reading through playstation magazine, game informer, EGM that I got in the mail as a kid and would eagerly anticipate that **** those games used to have a certain magic to them.

ReadingRainbow4
Indeed, it's how I felt back in the day. I was always so hyped about the next FF title as where many others and now it's like who really gives a damn? It's either going to turn out half decent or it will be epic fail like FFXIII. The majority of the fanbase is more enraged than it ever was and have pretty much zero faith in Square-Enix to make something ground breaking like they used to. The least we can expect is something above average but nothing too special. Nothing rememberable.
chocolatesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chocolatesoda
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

Crossel777

Indeed, it's how I felt back in the day. I was always so hyped about the next FF title as where many others and now it's like who really gives a damn? It's either going to turn out half decent or it will be epic fail like FFXIII. The majority of the fanbase is more enraged than it ever was and have pretty much zero faith in Square-Enix to make something ground breaking like they used to. The least we can expect is something above average but nothing too special. Nothing rememberable.

Confusing some internet forums for being a "majority of a fanbase?" Don't worry, it is a common mistake around here.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowsDemon
FF>>>>>sonic.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I kinda feel the same way to, but sonic has pretty much revived himself now.The revival for that franchise kinda started with Secret Rings even though sega screwed up with the sonic games after that game until colours.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

crimsonman1245

when dont people complain. Hell even I complain:P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

crimsonman1245

They did? I remember it being pretty calm and peaceful back then. There might of been a few minority haters back then but they where pretty much ignored. The FF fanbase is a warzone right now that can't be pleased. Square-Enix made it this way. Their constant desire to evolve and change the franchise into something completely different in order to garner in new consumers has split the fanbase into so many groups and now nobody can agree with each other. SE think they can cater to us all but they can't. Most of the FF fanbase has higher expectations than people who like FFXIII.. Sorry it's the truth. Linear pipe tunnels? Really?

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#35 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts
[QUOTE="da_illest101"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]You are definitely overexaggerating. Also you do realize theres more than one development team at square? The guy who makes the 13 series is not the same person that made Type 0, Versus, 12, 14, or the new 15. 10 million people bought the 13 series. Theyres an obvious interest in it. Also square does vastly change the battle system. The only similarities in most final fantasys is an ATB system. Maybe you should wait to see actual game footage before going on a presumptious rant?Capitan_Kid

Either way. A helluva lot of people bought the games for the series to sell 10 mill. Lots of people like these games

I brought both and didn't like them very much. sales doesn't mean how many people loved the game. I personally don't know anyone who liked XIII ( I know I don't represent the whole world) and I'm the only one who gave XIII-2 a chance
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ShadowsDemon

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

finalfantasy94

when dont people complain. Hell even I complain:P

That's the FF fanbase for ya. :P