Final Fantasy is.. bad.

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vavorlye
Member since 2009 • 138 Posts

I am not trying to be a troll here, but I honestly see no appeal to the series that is final fantasy. They may be good games, but I tried FFIX and it was just.. bad.

OPuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OPuniverse
Member since 2009 • 1943 Posts
different people have different taste in games. I like it, i see nothing wrong with it. Maybe it wasnt a genre for you i guess.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I am not trying to be a troll here, but I honestly see no appeal to the series that is final fantasy. They may be good games, but I tried FFIX and it was just.. bad.

Vavorlye

Oh, I played Final Fantasy 7/X-2 and I thought it was horrible..

But I suggest you put more reasoning why you dislike it/more to talk about so it isn't counted as a troll thread.

cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

Do you like JRPGs?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
FF6 FTW woot i was anti FF until i played it
EazyD91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EazyD91
Member since 2007 • 781 Posts
I tried FFIX and it was just....GREAT..see what i did there? just because you don't like it doesn't mean the series is bad.
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I think they're a bit hit and miss personally. I like some of them (VI and X mostly) and then hate others (VII). For JRPGs I prefer the Star Ocean and Tales Of games.
Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vavorlye

Do you like JRPGs?

cody3232
Honestly, yes i do. Just that final fantasy and the other gimmicky crap.. no.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Want to expand on your reasoning?

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#10 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

I've never played a Final Fantasy but they don't look very good to me.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Vavorlye"]

But I suggest you put more reasoning why you dislike it/more to talk about so it isn't counted as a troll thread.

Everyone has the right to not like something, but you shouldn't be the one to talk. You've said you hated Bioware and that Borderlands will get a 4 or 5 without any explanation as to why. Just let him be. :)
Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vavorlye

Thanks for sharing. Want to expand on your reasoning?

ActicEdge
No.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

What is bad about it? The graphics of IX were great, the gameplay was great, the story was decent. Do you just not like the characters? I can understand why you wouldn't be a fan of IX, it's more childish in it's presentation.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Vavorlye"]

SparkyProtocol

Everyone has the right to not like something, but you shouldn't be the one to talk. You've said you hated Bioware and that Borderlands will get a 4 or 5 without any explanation as to why. Just let him be. :)

I wasn't making a thread though. :P

And my reason:

I dislike WRPGS, a lot.. They aren't fun at all to me.

cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

[QUOTE="cody3232"]

Do you like JRPGs?

Vavorlye

Honestly, yes i do. Just that final fantasy and the other gimmicky crap.. no.

Oh to each his own, i personally love everything about them from the character the story the music, they pretty much got me into gaming so.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SparkyProtocol
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

Does not matter. Do you want me to post a picture of the Hypocrisy Hippo? I am not afraid to do it if it is to make a point. :twisted:
Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vavorlye

What is bad about it? The graphics of IX were great, the gameplay was great, the story was decent. Do you just not like the characters? I can understand why you wouldn't be a fan of IX, it's more childish in it's presentation.

hakanakumono
I didn't like the pacing, like you said the childish presentation.. the graphics were good for its time, and the characters were a mixed bag.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"] Everyone has the right to not like something, but you shouldn't be the one to talk. You've said you hated Bioware and that Borderlands will get a 4 or 5 without any explanation as to why. Just let him be. :)SparkyProtocol

Does not matter. Do you want me to post a picture of the Hypocrisy Hippo? I am not afraid to do it if it is to make a point. :twisted:

Hey, I edited it to put one point of why I dislike them, that's all I'm doing soooon.

Anyways, I dislike devs for one reason, games! If I don't like the games they make I don't like them, thus I don't like Bioware.

Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vavorlye

Yandere

Hey, I edited it to put one point of why I dislike them, that's all I'm doing soooon.

Anyways, I dislike devs for one reason, games! If I don't like the games they make I don't like them, thus I don't like Bioware.

Bioware is a good company. And they are Canadian, so as a Canadian, I have to like 'em. Dark Alliance made me.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SparkyProtocol
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

No it is fine, you just didn't state why Borderlands would score so low or why you hate Bioware. I do not mind that you have your opinions, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy for my own amusement.
Mandalore_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Mandalore_15
Member since 2004 • 457 Posts
The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... b) ... which leads me to the cutscenes. They're overly long and the dialogue is just CRAP. There's an argument for something being lost in translation for japanese games when translated to English, but seriously, the quality of the script and storyline is just dire. c) The combat in every game so far has been awful. Unintuitive and boring, there's nothing to recommend it. d) The visual design. This is pure personal opinion, but I can't stand how every game is populated with effeminate lady-boys and 12 year old girls wearing too little clothing. It's a paedophile/gender crisis sufferer's wet dream.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SparkyProtocol
The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... b) ... which leads me to the cutscenes. They're overly long and the dialogue is just CRAP. There's an argument for something being lost in translation for japanese games when translated to English, but seriously, the quality of the script and storyline is just dire. c) The combat in every game so far has been awful. Unintuitive and boring, there's nothing to recommend it. d) The visual design. This is pure personal opinion, but I can't stand how every game is populated with effeminate lady-boys and 12 year old girls wearing too little clothing. It's a paedophile/gender crisis sufferer's wet dream.Mandalore_15
I am glad that someone else agrees that it is not a RPG.
Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vavorlye
yay people agree with me!
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yandere

The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... Mandalore_15

Final Fantasy is a Turn Based JRPG, sure.. Not the best, but that doesn't make it any less of an RPG then anything else. It's different from say, traditional RPGs, but that's what genres do.. They expand.

ThePistolGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ThePistolGod
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

...and how is this relevant to System Wars?

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SparkyProtocol

ThePistolGod

Be quiet. With that logic over half of threads here are not relevant.

Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vavorlye

ThePistolGod
Final Fantasy is on a.. system?
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Yandere

[QUOTE="ThePistolGod"]

SparkyProtocol

True, SW is 70% General Games Discussion 20% Console Discussion 10% System Wars.

ThePistolGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThePistolGod

The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... b) ... which leads me to the cutscenes. They're overly long and the dialogue is just CRAP. There's an argument for something being lost in translation for japanese games when translated to English, but seriously, the quality of the script and storyline is just dire. c) The combat in every game so far has been awful. Unintuitive and boring, there's nothing to recommend it. d) The visual design. This is pure personal opinion, but I can't stand how every game is populated with effeminate lady-boys and 12 year old girls wearing too little clothing. It's a paedophile/gender crisis sufferer's wet dream.Mandalore_15

Opinions are fun aren't they? Don't try to pass yours off as fact.

By the way I like the artstyle for Final Fantasy, I guess that makes me either a homosexual who likes effeminate lady-boys or a "paedophile" who likes to look at virtual girls.

You're an idiot.

Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vavorlye

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"]

[QUOTE="ThePistolGod"]

Yandere

True, SW is 70% General Games Discussion 20% Console Discussion 10% System Wars.

Yes, its basically Crysis, Killzone, Halo, Metal Gear rarely. Then the fanboy wars, and thats it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
That's great, I played and beaten them all and I gotta say, it's my favorite series. Too bad you don't like it. I feel like you're missing out.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#32 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

While I would not claim FF to be one of my favorite JRPG franchises, I still enjoy it's entries none the less. I just enjoy coming in here and watching people rip on one of the most well established franchises in gaming and call it "crap" like it just magically got elevated to its status with dumb luck. Hell it doesn't take much to realize it's not all that bad to be well received generation after generation by the industry in terms of critics and sales.

I also enjoy watching people claim it's not a RPG, the whole damn industry must be wrong for how many generations? Wake the hell up, JRPG play the RPG genre differently, welcome to more than a few generations ago :|.

Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vavorlye

While I would not claim FF to be one of my favorite JRPG franchises, I still enjoy it's entries none the less. I just enjoy coming in here and watching people rip on one of the most well established franchises in gaming and call it "crap" like it just magically got elevated to its status with dumb luck. Hell it doesn't take much to realize it's not all that bad to be well received generation after generation by the industry in terms of critics and sales.

I also enjoy watching people claim it's not a RPG, the whole damn industry must be wrong for how many generations? Wake the hell up, JRPG play the RPG genre differently, welcome to more than a few generations ago :|.

-RPGamer-

Alot of good games are lost in the tide of overhyped games.

ThePistolGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ThePistolGod

[QUOTE="ThePistolGod"]

Vavorlye

Final Fantasy is on a.. system?

System Wars is a place to discuss platforms. I'm pretty sure that's what it says at the top.

I wasn't aware Final Fantasy was a system.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SparkyProtocol

[QUOTE="Mandalore_15"]The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... b) ... which leads me to the cutscenes. They're overly long and the dialogue is just CRAP. There's an argument for something being lost in translation for japanese games when translated to English, but seriously, the quality of the script and storyline is just dire. c) The combat in every game so far has been awful. Unintuitive and boring, there's nothing to recommend it. d) The visual design. This is pure personal opinion, but I can't stand how every game is populated with effeminate lady-boys and 12 year old girls wearing too little clothing. It's a paedophile/gender crisis sufferer's wet dream.ThePistolGod

By the way I like the artstyle for Final Fantasy, I guess that makes me either a homosexual who likes effeminate lady-boys or a "paedophile" who likes to look at virtual girls.

You're an idiot.

He said it is pure personal opinion. The men do look feminine and there are little girls that join your party. (that are not appropriatly dressed for their age mind you)
Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vavorlye
If this was not relevant, then this thread would have been locked already. System Wars includes games you know.
Mandalore_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mandalore_15

[QUOTE="Mandalore_15"]The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... b) ... which leads me to the cutscenes. They're overly long and the dialogue is just CRAP. There's an argument for something being lost in translation for japanese games when translated to English, but seriously, the quality of the script and storyline is just dire. c) The combat in every game so far has been awful. Unintuitive and boring, there's nothing to recommend it. d) The visual design. This is pure personal opinion, but I can't stand how every game is populated with effeminate lady-boys and 12 year old girls wearing too little clothing. It's a paedophile/gender crisis sufferer's wet dream.ThePistolGod

You're an idiot.

I never said it appealed exclusively to those kinds of people. Guess that makes you the idiot, huh?
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

Vavorlye

Sure. Yet these overhyped games are merely overhyped by some of the gamers, not all. To some people Final Fantasy is their favorite franchise. To them it's hyped just right. Neither side is more correct on the matter than the other.

Mandalore_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mandalore_15

[QUOTE="Mandalore_15"]The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... Yandere

Final Fantasy is a Turn Based JRPG, sure.. Not the best, but that doesn't make it any less of an RPG then anything else. It's different from say, traditional RPGs, but that's what genres do.. They expand.

My point is, the vast majority of JRPGs should not be called RPGs, because there is no "role playing". You can't play a role if everything your character says/does is predetermined (other than combat) and you have no control over the story. It just doesn't work. It fails the definition, so not and RPG.
Mandalore_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mandalore_15
It seems to me, the term RPG has been applied to JRPGs just as a short hand for "crap combat", which is what a lot of traditional RPGs contain, the point being that it doesn't matter as much as it plays second fiddle to the storyline.
Vavorlye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vavorlye

[QUOTE="Vavorlye"]

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

-RPGamer-

Sure. Yet these overhyped games are merely overhyped by some of the gamers, not all. To some people Final Fantasy is their favorite franchise. To them it's hyped just right. Neither side is more correct on the matter than the other.

It's all opinion, and I think Final Fantasy is trash. Thats my opinion, and considering your name, you think the opposite.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SparkyProtocol
[QUOTE="Mandalore_15"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... Mandalore_15

My point is, the vast majority of JRPGs should not be called RPGs, because there is no "role playing". You can't play a role if everything your character says/does is predetermined (other than combat) and you have no control over the story. It just doesn't work. It fails the definition, so not and RPG.

Some people will try to tell you "b-b-b-but you are playing the role of Tidus" but they are easy to debunk. With that logic Halo is a RPG.
ThePistolGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThePistolGod

[QUOTE="Mandalore_15"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

SparkyProtocol

Some people will try to tell you "b-b-b-but you are playing the role of Tidus" but they are easy to debunk. With that logic Halo is a RPG.

..right because you could customize your abilities in Halo. Guess I better edit that into my last post..

HGAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 HGAT
Member since 2008 • 1366 Posts

Final Fantasy is like frankenstiens monster now it's gone out of control.

Cries and wishes for more installments of the Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross games.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -RPGamer-

[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="Vavorlye"]

Vavorlye

It's all opinion, and I think Final Fantasy is trash. Thats my opinion, and considering your name, you think the opposite.

I never said your opinion was wrong, I just find it hard to believe a franchise could be "trash" when its something as well established as FF. I don't care for many franchises that are well established, yet I don't call them trash b/c that IMHO is a gross over exaggeration.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Final Fantasy games are imperfect and sometimes flawed games with a lot of merit. Final Fantasy VII used to be one of the more highly regarded games because it really did strive to be different from previous titles and conventions in the JRPG genre in general. And while it was far from perfect, it really did move away from the dragons and castles that Final Fantasy couldn't seem to escape with even VI. It also made a much greater effort to provide depth, especially with the much loved and loathed Villain Sephiroth, who is the most developed Villain out of the first 8 titles and possibly more. Regardless of how we've seen him far too much and it was time for him to retire years ago.

Since VII Final Fantasy games have been providing unique locations, characters, and scenarios. And while the games have been far from perfect, they're far from mediocre because they execute so many original features. By the time VIII hit the market the gameplay was severely outdated and until XII there was little improvement as far as the actual battles themselves went. Son games were more balanced than others. While they struggled with gameplay mechanics, they shined in presentation. The problem is that Square became so focused on the presentation aspect of the Final Fantasy games that was all that many saw - and still see today. It doesn't help that Square is developing flashy movies like Advent Children and is capatilzing on sequels and prequels that should never had been made in the first place.

Even if XIII is an extremely high quality game that executes an original, interesting plot, with a great battle system, and a great presentation it will still be called "mediocre" and "generic" because it isn't an Atlus game.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Mandalore_15"]The Final Fantasy series is the worst big name series in gaming, and here's why: a) It is NOT, despite what people term it, and RPG. There are no roleplaying elements, you run from one cutscene to another and have no control over the story or your character's disposition... Mandalore_15

Sure, linear RPGs aren't like "choose your own adventure" games, but they do (mostly) share many common traits from traditional RPGs.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

..right because you could customize your abilities in Halo. Guess I better edit that into my last post..

ThePistolGod

I'm not sure how that contributes towards something being a "role-playing" game.