Final Fantasy 7 Remake or Cyberpunk 2077 - what do you want to play more as of right now?

  • 89 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (24464 posts) 3 months, 5 days ago

Poll: Final Fantasy 7 Remake or Cyberpunk 2077 - what do you want to play more as of right now? (105 votes)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake 37%
Cyberpunk 2077 63%

For me, it's Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I'm interested in Cyberpunk 2077, but a lot of the marketing for it has been based on cut scenes. Square Enix gave us loads of exciting gameplay footage from FF7R. They really sold me on the game. Whereas I know CD Project Red will do great with story and presentation, but I'm not sure how they will do with gameplay. I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay from Witcher 3. It just wasn't that exciting for me.

What about you, SW? Which game do you want to play more as of right now?

Avatar image for ghosts4ever
#1 Edited by Ghosts4ever (10553 posts) -

Cyberpunk.

FF7 remake will be another JRPG.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#2 Edited by sakaiXx (6075 posts) -

FF7R. Want to play it for personal nostalgia reasons of course.

Avatar image for 2mrw
#3 Posted by 2mrw (5870 posts) -

FF R the complete version

We have too many shooters already, this one only has kauno reeves in it

Avatar image for m_machine024
#4 Posted by m_machine024 (15874 posts) -

The remake looks fantastic gameplay wise....... and I'm not a FF fan.

Avatar image for iambatman7986
#5 Posted by iambatman7986 (2808 posts) -

Final Fantasy Remake.

While I liked the Witcher series, I found the combat/gameplay to be lacking to say the least.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#6 Edited by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -

I want to play both, Cyberpunk 2077 because of the dynamic and interesting sounding narrative (I know the gameplay is going to be ass) and Final Fantasy VII because it looks awesome for gameplay.

I'm a playstation owner so I don't have to make any exceptions with either :D

Avatar image for Ant_17
#7 Posted by Ant_17 (12903 posts) -

Both. I want to play both. I really can't pick between these 2.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#8 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

Avatar image for boxrekt
#9 Edited by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument in favor for CP2077?

Because NOTHING from CP2077 gameplay was exciting and is easily outshined by anything shown in FF7R.

Maybe you forgot, but gameplay was shown for CP2077, and even though it was only shooting, it was clunky, stiff, and unrealistic it looked like the work an amature programmers.

Loading Video...

Possibly the most paint by the numbers shooting seen in a video game since Virtua Cop on Sega Saturn.

if CDPR can't even get realistic shooting down don't bring up how exciting the gameplay of any other game is in an attempt to try to defend CP2077 in an argument, just don't.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#10 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument for CP2077?

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

Avatar image for Jag85
#11 Posted by Jag85 (13637 posts) -

FFVII Remake. The gameplay looks impressive. The tactical real-time combat looks like it will be a lot of fun. On the other hand, I'm not hearing good things about Cyberpunk 2077's combat, which is already receiving some criticism.

Also, we don't know much about Cyberpunk 2077's story, and whether it would be good (although it does have cool Blade Runner and Akira vibes). Whereas we already know that FF7R will have a good story, since it's a remake of a game that was known for having a good story.

Still, 2020 looks like it's shaping up to be a great year for cyberpunk video games, with FF7R and 2077 on the horizon.

Avatar image for Jag85
#12 Posted by Jag85 (13637 posts) -

@howmakewood: Have you seen the FF7R gameplay demo showcasing the combat system and the first boss fight? I don't know about you, but it looks pretty exciting to me. It's like a tactical ARPG.

FF7R isn't a turn-based JRPG, but is a Japanese ARPG with some tactical elements. For Japanese ARPGs, the combat system has always been a selling point. Whether it's Ys, Mana, Nier, Soulsborne, Monster Hunter, etc.

Avatar image for pc_rocks
#13 Edited by PC_Rocks (2569 posts) -

@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

I believe the long thick sword and the random number popping out when it hits something, I guess???

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#14 Edited by KungfuKitten (26799 posts) -

CP2077 because of the more detailed, thought-out world and them pushing the boundaries of gaming. It's a new IP. The cyberpunk theme is pretty much unexplored in gaming and I want to see more of it. It's an Immersive Sim. One of my most beloved (and rare) genres in gaming. The modern Deus Ex games botched the Immersive Sim part and I feel like CP2077 might show people what this genre can really do. I also can't wait to get some choices in the game that catch me off-guard or make me reconsider everything.

My experiences with the FF series has not been a love story. I hated the FF15 combat and the FF7R combat reminded me of it at first, giving me a bad first impression. To be fair, it seems like they are trying hard to find a better combat system. I do really like that you can gather the points to spend in the pause menu for your bigger moves. I want to try a demo. I think that if I can enjoy the combat, I will like the game. Even then, they're only releasing the beginning of the game? I have never played the original so I don't have much of a connection to it. And any changes made to its story are not going to excite me. I do want to check it out... but it doesn't WOW me, because I've grown hesitant of the FF series as a whole.

And that is because of my specific taste in RPG's. Most JRPG's are just too boring to me. Usually because of their combat or their amount of filler. So don't let that lower your excitement! I think most people who go in with reasonable expectations are going to absolutely love both games.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#15 Posted by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument for CP2077?

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

lol oh it's just you then.

Give me your example of an RPG with "great" gameplay that's NOT JAPANESE.

JRPGs literally have the best game play for RPG games IMO.

But I don't know what you're comparing it with, so please let me know where you're basing your standards from? Name a few titles for me?

Avatar image for boxrekt
#16 Posted by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@pc_rocks said:
@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

I believe the long thick sword and the random number popping out when it hits something, I guess???

LMFAO, you do realize with that attempt to be funny and bash FF7R about random numbers popping out is LITERALLY in the gameplay vid of Cyberpunk 2077 that I have posted in this thread right? And that gameplay still looks like amature night at the university...

lol smooth!

Avatar image for Renegade_Fury
#17 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20679 posts) -

Cyberpunk 2077. I love CD Projekt Red, the Witcher III, the Blade Runner-esque setting, and this is also going to be a full game.

FFVIIR, I want to play, but I'm skeptical of the combat and of just how much filler they're going to be adding. Even the scorpion fight looks like it goes on for way too long.

Avatar image for Chutebox
#18 Posted by Chutebox (44747 posts) -

Cyberpunk is actually a full game, so that.

Probably not getting either though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#19 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5039 posts) -

Cyberpunk since it's actually a complete game. I'm so ready to jump into it.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#20 Posted by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Cyberpunk since it's actually a complete game. I'm so ready to jump into it.

lol and you don't actually know that, that's why people saying this is funny.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#21 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5039 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Cyberpunk since it's actually a complete game. I'm so ready to jump into it.

lol and you don't actually know that, that's why people saying this is funny.

It'll be more complete than FF Remake part 1, since we knew it only takes place inMidgar for all of us that played the original game. That's a fact. It's going to be padded with a lot more content, but we know already know where the story is going.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#22 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -
@Jag85 said:

@howmakewood: Have you seen the FF7R gameplay demo showcasing the combat system and the first boss fight? I don't know about you, but it looks pretty exciting to me. It's like a tactical ARPG.

FF7R isn't a turn-based JRPG, but is a Japanese ARPG with some tactical elements. For Japanese ARPGs, the combat system has always been a selling point. Whether it's Ys, Mana, Nier, Soulsborne, Monster Hunter, etc.

I havent seen the boss one, just the first reveal where it was shown to have ATB and it was barely few mins long iirc? Have to look up if there's a meatier one. It's not really a system I've ever liked, generally the best jrpg ones for me been turn based, I pretty much loathed the later main line ff games for example. I love Ys, monster hunter and so on, but I dont really count those as what what I would define as "jrpg" as they are vastly different in design.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#23 Edited by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument for CP2077?

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

lol oh it's just you then.

Give me your example of an RPG with "great" gameplay that's NOT JAPANESE.

JRPGs literally have the best game play for RPG games IMO.

But I don't know what you're comparing it with, so please let me know where you're basing your standards from? Name a few titles for me?

Pretty hard to find RPG's that I'd define great, more of rpg lite ones? new GoW, souls games, monster hunter and so on. Pretty much the only rpg that's more in the likes of these in question would be Dragon's Dogma, outside of that it's pretty bleak. Divinity is pretty neat but gets broken too easily as well.

You are on some weird basis that I prefer western rpg combat to japanese? or that I'm defending Cyberpunk? Jump less to conclusions

Avatar image for Planeforger
#24 Posted by Planeforger (18105 posts) -

I don't have any nostalgia for Final Fantasy 7, so Cyberpunk easily gets my vote.

I'd be a bit more interested in FF7: Midgar if they had any details about the remaining FF7 games. How many years will we have to wait between games? Is each game going to be full price? Are they going to continue supporting the PS4 all the way through the final game, or are they going to jump to next gen for the last game or two? Will there be any connectivity between FF7 Midgar and the later FF7 games, such as importing our save games and levels, or will each game start afresh? None of these things have been confirmed - all we know is that they've turned the first segment into a full RPG, and they'd like to make more of them in the futue.

As for Cyberpunk - it's a CDPR adaptation of a classic RPG setting. I'm totally on board, and I'm certain they'll deliver an excellent experience.

Avatar image for jeezers
#25 Posted by jeezers (3285 posts) -

Don't care much for either, but if I had to get one it would be cyberpunk, at least its a new I.P. the final fanasty games are always over hyped out of proportion, final fanasty 15 was kinda garbage and took for ever to come out.

Cyber punk looks too have a deus ex vibe which looks cool, there are tons of jrpgs. ive never fully understood the FF fandom. Whole series seems overrated, id rather play persona, dragon quest or golden sun, even Octopath was more enjoyable than the last couple final fanasty games. I remember hearing about final fanasty 7 remake too early, its not going to reach the hype. They announced it a few years too early. I diddnt like the witcher 3 either tho, but that had more to do with the setting for me.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#26 Posted by pyro1245 (5264 posts) -

Cyberpunk.

FF7R is a nostalgia-fueled money pit. I am looking forward to it though. I just hope the FF7R-remake isn't coming out by the time we finally get the last chapter.

Avatar image for Jag85
#27 Edited by Jag85 (13637 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@Jag85 said:

@howmakewood: Have you seen the FF7R gameplay demo showcasing the combat system and the first boss fight? I don't know about you, but it looks pretty exciting to me. It's like a tactical ARPG.

FF7R isn't a turn-based JRPG, but is a Japanese ARPG with some tactical elements. For Japanese ARPGs, the combat system has always been a selling point. Whether it's Ys, Mana, Nier, Soulsborne, Monster Hunter, etc.

I havent seen the boss one, just the first reveal where it was shown to have ATB and it was barely few mins long iirc? Have to look up if there's a meatier one. It's not really a system I've ever liked, generally the best jrpg ones for me been turn based, I pretty much loathed the later main line ff games for example. I love Ys, monster hunter and so on, but I dont really count those as what what I would define as "jrpg" as they are vastly different in design.

I posted a longer gameplay demo here:

Final Fantasy VII E3 Trailers

As you can see, it's not a typical turn-based "JRPG" combat system, nor is it a typical "hack & slash" action combat system. But rather, it's a fairly unique real-time tactical-action combat system.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#28 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -

@Jag85: thanks, gonna take a look when I got some time

Avatar image for boxrekt
#29 Edited by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument for CP2077?

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

lol oh it's just you then.

Give me your example of an RPG with "great" gameplay that's NOT JAPANESE.

JRPGs literally have the best game play for RPG games IMO.

But I don't know what you're comparing it with, so please let me know where you're basing your standards from? Name a few titles for me?

Pretty hard to find RPG's that I'd define great, more of rpg lite ones? new GoW, souls games, monster hunter and so on. Pretty much the only rpg that's more in the likes of these in question would be Dragon's Dogma, outside of that it's pretty bleak. Divinity is pretty neat but gets broken too easily as well.

You are on some weird basis that I prefer western rpg combat to japanese? or that I'm defending Cyberpunk? Jump less to conclusions

Souls (jrpg) Moster Hunter also (jrpg) Dragon's Dogma (Jprg) so you just say a game isn't a JRPG because it's not turn based or what? It doesn't work like that.

FFXIV isn't turn based either, is it not a JRPG? Nier Automata isn't turn based, is it not a JRPG?

Just because you don't consider them "jrpg" doesn't change the fact that they are and fully created by Japanese devs as RPGs and should be respected, with the depth of Japanese imagination, as JRPGs.

I also enjoy Divinity, I was just confused by you saying you don't play JRPGs for great gameplay when over half the list that you provided me were actually JRPGs.

lol FF7R is a mix between realtime and turn based so what now? How you gone classify it since it's not a fixed element of either? See how trying to pigeon hole JRPGs in to one specific category doesn't work?

Avatar image for howmakewood
#30 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument for CP2077?

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

lol oh it's just you then.

Give me your example of an RPG with "great" gameplay that's NOT JAPANESE.

JRPGs literally have the best game play for RPG games IMO.

But I don't know what you're comparing it with, so please let me know where you're basing your standards from? Name a few titles for me?

Pretty hard to find RPG's that I'd define great, more of rpg lite ones? new GoW, souls games, monster hunter and so on. Pretty much the only rpg that's more in the likes of these in question would be Dragon's Dogma, outside of that it's pretty bleak. Divinity is pretty neat but gets broken too easily as well.

You are on some weird basis that I prefer western rpg combat to japanese? or that I'm defending Cyberpunk? Jump less to conclusions

Souls (jrpg) Moster Hunter also (jrpg) Dragon's Dogma (Jprg) so you just say a game isn't a JRPG because it's not turn based or what? It doesn't work like that.

FFXIV isn't turn based either, is it not a JRPG? Nier Automata isn't turn based, is it not a JRPG?

Just because you don't consider them "jrpg" doesn't change the fact that they are and fully created by Japanese devs as RPGs and should be respected, with the depth of Japanese imagination, as JRPGs.

I also enjoy Divinity, I was just confused by you saying you don't play JRPGs for great gameplay when over half the list that you provided me were actually JRPGs.

I play ffxiv actually(have shadowbringers preordered), but yes when I speak of "jrpg" I mean that certain design style which is fairly obvious

Avatar image for boxrekt
#31 Posted by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:

Souls (jrpg) Moster Hunter also (jrpg) Dragon's Dogma (Jprg) so you just say a game isn't a JRPG because it's not turn based or what? It doesn't work like that.

FFXIV isn't turn based either, is it not a JRPG? Nier Automata isn't turn based, is it not a JRPG?

Just because you don't consider them "jrpg" doesn't change the fact that they are and fully created by Japanese devs as RPGs and should be respected, with the depth of Japanese imagination, as JRPGs.

I also enjoy Divinity, I was just confused by you saying you don't play JRPGs for great gameplay when over half the list that you provided me were actually JRPGs.

I play ffxiv actually(have shadowbringers preordered), but yes when I speak of "jrpg" I mean that certain design style which is fairly obvious

I understand that, I'm just saying that doesn't work out.

As I said above, FF7R has both realtime and turn based combat. So, is it not a JRPG now?

Avatar image for sleepnsurf
#32 Posted by sleepnsurf (3224 posts) -

Still find it weird people like JRPGs. Grow up already.

Avatar image for sealionact
#33 Posted by sealionact (4176 posts) -

Cyberpunk. No interest in a remade jrpg.

Avatar image for boxrekt
#34 Posted by BoxRekt (2029 posts) -
@sleepnsurf said:

Still find it weird people like JRPGs. Grow up already.

Still find it weird people like video games. Grow up already.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#35 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1705 posts) -

I'd say Cyberpunk 2077.

By the way I doubt Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Cyberpunk 2077 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake will be much better than Kingdom Hearts 3, Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Persona 5: The Royal.

Avatar image for howmakewood
#36 Posted by Howmakewood (5965 posts) -

@boxrekt: it is, be it turn based or fully real time such as ni no Kuni for example, it's the whole party focus and other designs that make the "genre"

Avatar image for Jag85
#37 Posted by Jag85 (13637 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@sleepnsurf said:

Still find it weird people like JRPGs. Grow up already.

Still find it weird people like video games. Grow up already.

The highest-grossing media franchise of all time is... Pokemon. That says it all, really.

Avatar image for Jag85
#38 Posted by Jag85 (13637 posts) -

@pyro1245: Cyberpunk 2077 is also nostalgia-fuelled though. It's a homage to classic cyberpunk of the '80s and '90s, e.g. Blade Runner, Akira, Neuromancer, Ghost in the Shell, Matrix, and of course Cyberpunk 2020.

FF7R just happens to be a more direct remake of a '90s cyberpunk classic, FF7. So they're both essentially a throwback to '90s cyberpunk nostalgia.

Avatar image for zaryia
#39 Edited by Zaryia (9663 posts) -

I voted CP2077 because it's my most favorite genre (FPRPG) and reminds me of my favorite game of all time (Deus Ex).

Also it's completely new with a new story, I've already played FF7 enough times. Also CDPR owns.

@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

if CDPR can't even get realistic shooting down don't bring up how exciting the gameplay of any other game is in an attempt to try to defend CP2077 in an argument, just don't.

Deus Ex (new and old), Vampire TMB, New Vegas, and The Elders Scroll (all of them) all have poor combat. First Person RPGs usually have bad melee/gunplay, but only casuals CoD kids will really mind. Anyone looking for a great RPG probably doesn't give a shit. This is the last thing I'm going to worry about for CP2077.

That is really a minor issue didn't really stop the above games from being incredible and timeless classics with great gameplay.

Avatar image for briguyb13
#40 Posted by briguyb13 (3155 posts) -

Cyberpunk 2077. FFVIIR is an incomplete game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#41 Posted by SolidGame_basic (24464 posts) -
@briguyb13 said:

Cyberpunk 2077. FFVIIR is an incomplete game.

How is it an incomplete game? Each installment is its own game.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#42 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

FF7 Remake will be the superior game by far.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#43 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@sleepnsurf: still surprised that people are so limited and shallow to say stuff like that.

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
#44 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5369 posts) -

Who gives a flying rats ass about that hack n' slash reimagined abomination?

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#45 Posted by lundy86_4 (53851 posts) -

Cyberpunk 2077, no contest. I'm waiting for the FF7 remake, so i'm not hitting that wait after leaving Midgar.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#46 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19277 posts) -

Never played a FF, and don't really have any desire to start now...

So Cyberpunk.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#47 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2682 posts) -

FF7R for the nostalgia.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#48 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

Why with these polls are there no "neither" option?

My vote goes to neither.

Avatar image for sonicare
#49 Posted by sonicare (56837 posts) -

FF7 was great, but I already played it. More of the same is bleh. I'd go with original content.

Avatar image for jasonofa36
#50 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1321 posts) -

Since FF7 Remake isn't a traditional JRPG anymore, I went with CP2077.