Final Fantasy 7 Remake or Cyberpunk 2077 - what do you want to play more as of right now?

• 89 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Final Fantasy 7 Remake or Cyberpunk 2077 - what do you want to play more as of right now? (105 votes)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake 37%
Cyberpunk 2077 63%

For me, it's Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I'm interested in Cyberpunk 2077, but a lot of the marketing for it has been based on cut scenes. Square Enix gave us loads of exciting gameplay footage from FF7R. They really sold me on the game. Whereas I know CD Project Red will do great with story and presentation, but I'm not sure how they will do with gameplay. I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay from Witcher 3. It just wasn't that exciting for me.

What about you, SW? Which game do you want to play more as of right now?

• 
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

Cyberpunk.

FF7 remake will be another JRPG.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

FF7R. Want to play it for personal nostalgia reasons of course.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

FF R the complete version

We have too many shooters already, this one only has kauno reeves in it

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

The remake looks fantastic gameplay wise....... and I'm not a FF fan.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Final Fantasy Remake.

While I liked the Witcher series, I found the combat/gameplay to be lacking to say the least.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

I want to play both, Cyberpunk 2077 because of the dynamic and interesting sounding narrative (I know the gameplay is going to be ass) and Final Fantasy VII because it looks awesome for gameplay.

I'm a playstation owner so I don't have to make any exceptions with either :D

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Both. I want to play both. I really can't pick between these 2.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Which part of the gameplay of ff7r was exciting?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoxRekt
@howmakewood said:

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument in favor for CP2077?

Because NOTHING from CP2077 gameplay was exciting and is easily outshined by anything shown in FF7R.

Maybe you forgot, but gameplay was shown for CP2077, and even though it was only shooting, it was clunky, stiff, and unrealistic it looked like the work an amature programmers.

Loading Video...

Possibly the most paint by the numbers shooting seen in a video game since Virtua Cop on Sega Saturn.

if CDPR can't even get realistic shooting down don't bring up how exciting the gameplay of any other game is in an attempt to try to defend CP2077 in an argument, just don't.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Howmakewood
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

lol is that supposed to be some kind of counter argument for CP2077?

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

FFVII Remake. The gameplay looks impressive. The tactical real-time combat looks like it will be a lot of fun. On the other hand, I'm not hearing good things about Cyberpunk 2077's combat, which is already receiving some criticism.

Also, we don't know much about Cyberpunk 2077's story, and whether it would be good (although it does have cool Blade Runner and Akira vibes). Whereas we already know that FF7R will have a good story, since it's a remake of a game that was known for having a good story.

Still, 2020 looks like it's shaping up to be a great year for cyberpunk video games, with FF7R and 2077 on the horizon.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jag85

@howmakewood: Have you seen the FF7R gameplay demo showcasing the combat system and the first boss fight? I don't know about you, but it looks pretty exciting to me. It's like a tactical ARPG.

FF7R isn't a turn-based JRPG, but is a Japanese ARPG with some tactical elements. For Japanese ARPGs, the combat system has always been a selling point. Whether it's Ys, Mana, Nier, Soulsborne, Monster Hunter, etc.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@howmakewood said:

I believe the long thick sword and the random number popping out when it hits something, I guess???

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

CP2077 because of the more detailed, thought-out world and them pushing the boundaries of gaming. It's a new IP. The cyberpunk theme is pretty much unexplored in gaming and I want to see more of it. It's an Immersive Sim. One of my most beloved (and rare) genres in gaming. The modern Deus Ex games botched the Immersive Sim part and I feel like CP2077 might show people what this genre can really do. I also can't wait to get some choices in the game that catch me off-guard or make me reconsider everything.

My experiences with the FF series has not been a love story. I hated the FF15 combat and the FF7R combat reminded me of it at first, giving me a bad first impression. To be fair, it seems like they are trying hard to find a better combat system. I do really like that you can gather the points to spend in the pause menu for your bigger moves. I want to try a demo. I think that if I can enjoy the combat, I will like the game. Even then, they're only releasing the beginning of the game? I have never played the original so I don't have much of a connection to it. And any changes made to its story are not going to excite me. I do want to check it out... but it doesn't WOW me, because I've grown hesitant of the FF series as a whole.

And that is because of my specific taste in RPG's. Most JRPG's are just too boring to me. Usually because of their combat or their amount of filler. So don't let that lower your excitement! I think most people who go in with reasonable expectations are going to absolutely love both games.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BoxRekt
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

No? If look at my other posts I was saying CP2077 most likely gets free pass for subpar combat... just wondering what is actually "great" about ff7 one? I've played a ton of jrpg's and that part has never been the selling point or even close to

lol oh it's just you then.

Give me your example of an RPG with "great" gameplay that's NOT JAPANESE.

JRPGs literally have the best game play for RPG games IMO.

But I don't know what you're comparing it with, so please let me know where you're basing your standards from? Name a few titles for me?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BoxRekt
@pc_rocks said:
@howmakewood said:

I believe the long thick sword and the random number popping out when it hits something, I guess???

LMFAO, you do realize with that attempt to be funny and bash FF7R about random numbers popping out is LITERALLY in the gameplay vid of Cyberpunk 2077 that I have posted in this thread right? And that gameplay still looks like amature night at the university...

lol smooth!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Cyberpunk 2077. I love CD Projekt Red, the Witcher III, the Blade Runner-esque setting, and this is also going to be a full game.

FFVIIR, I want to play, but I'm skeptical of the combat and of just how much filler they're going to be adding. Even the scorpion fight looks like it goes on for way too long.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50551 Posts

Cyberpunk is actually a full game, so that.

Probably not getting either though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

Cyberpunk since it's actually a complete game. I'm so ready to jump into it.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BoxRekt
@BenjaminBanklin said:

lol and you don't actually know that, that's why people saying this is funny.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

lol and you don't actually know that, that's why people saying this is funny.

It'll be more complete than FF Remake part 1, since we knew it only takes place inMidgar for all of us that played the original game. That's a fact. It's going to be padded with a lot more content, but we know already know where the story is going.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Howmakewood
@Jag85 said:

@howmakewood: Have you seen the FF7R gameplay demo showcasing the combat system and the first boss fight? I don't know about you, but it looks pretty exciting to me. It's like a tactical ARPG.

FF7R isn't a turn-based JRPG, but is a Japanese ARPG with some tactical elements. For Japanese ARPGs, the combat system has always been a selling point. Whether it's Ys, Mana, Nier, Soulsborne, Monster Hunter, etc.

I havent seen the boss one, just the first reveal where it was shown to have ATB and it was barely few mins long iirc? Have to look up if there's a meatier one. It's not really a system I've ever liked, generally the best jrpg ones for me been turn based, I pretty much loathed the later main line ff games for example. I love Ys, monster hunter and so on, but I dont really count those as what what I would define as "jrpg" as they are vastly different in design.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Howmakewood
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

But I don't know what you're comparing it with, so please let me know where you're basing your standards from? Name a few titles for me?

Pretty hard to find RPG's that I'd define great, more of rpg lite ones? new GoW, souls games, monster hunter and so on. Pretty much the only rpg that's more in the likes of these in question would be Dragon's Dogma, outside of that it's pretty bleak. Divinity is pretty neat but gets broken too easily as well.

You are on some weird basis that I prefer western rpg combat to japanese? or that I'm defending Cyberpunk? Jump less to conclusions

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I don't have any nostalgia for Final Fantasy 7, so Cyberpunk easily gets my vote.

I'd be a bit more interested in FF7: Midgar if they had any details about the remaining FF7 games. How many years will we have to wait between games? Is each game going to be full price? Are they going to continue supporting the PS4 all the way through the final game, or are they going to jump to next gen for the last game or two? Will there be any connectivity between FF7 Midgar and the later FF7 games, such as importing our save games and levels, or will each game start afresh? None of these things have been confirmed - all we know is that they've turned the first segment into a full RPG, and they'd like to make more of them in the futue.

As for Cyberpunk - it's a CDPR adaptation of a classic RPG setting. I'm totally on board, and I'm certain they'll deliver an excellent experience.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Don't care much for either, but if I had to get one it would be cyberpunk, at least its a new I.P. the final fanasty games are always over hyped out of proportion, final fanasty 15 was kinda garbage and took for ever to come out.

Cyber punk looks too have a deus ex vibe which looks cool, there are tons of jrpgs. ive never fully understood the FF fandom. Whole series seems overrated, id rather play persona, dragon quest or golden sun, even Octopath was more enjoyable than the last couple final fanasty games. I remember hearing about final fanasty 7 remake too early, its not going to reach the hype. They announced it a few years too early. I diddnt like the witcher 3 either tho, but that had more to do with the setting for me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Cyberpunk.

FF7R is a nostalgia-fueled money pit. I am looking forward to it though. I just hope the FF7R-remake isn't coming out by the time we finally get the last chapter.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jag85

@howmakewood said:
@Jag85 said:

I havent seen the boss one, just the first reveal where it was shown to have ATB and it was barely few mins long iirc? Have to look up if there's a meatier one. It's not really a system I've ever liked, generally the best jrpg ones for me been turn based, I pretty much loathed the later main line ff games for example. I love Ys, monster hunter and so on, but I dont really count those as what what I would define as "jrpg" as they are vastly different in design.

I posted a longer gameplay demo here:

Final Fantasy VII E3 Trailers

As you can see, it's not a typical turn-based "JRPG" combat system, nor is it a typical "hack & slash" action combat system. But rather, it's a fairly unique real-time tactical-action combat system.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Howmakewood

@Jag85: thanks, gonna take a look when I got some time

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoxRekt
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:

Pretty hard to find RPG's that I'd define great, more of rpg lite ones? new GoW, souls games, monster hunter and so on. Pretty much the only rpg that's more in the likes of these in question would be Dragon's Dogma, outside of that it's pretty bleak. Divinity is pretty neat but gets broken too easily as well.

You are on some weird basis that I prefer western rpg combat to japanese? or that I'm defending Cyberpunk? Jump less to conclusions

Souls (jrpg) Moster Hunter also (jrpg) Dragon's Dogma (Jprg) so you just say a game isn't a JRPG because it's not turn based or what? It doesn't work like that.

FFXIV isn't turn based either, is it not a JRPG? Nier Automata isn't turn based, is it not a JRPG?

Just because you don't consider them "jrpg" doesn't change the fact that they are and fully created by Japanese devs as RPGs and should be respected, with the depth of Japanese imagination, as JRPGs.

I also enjoy Divinity, I was just confused by you saying you don't play JRPGs for great gameplay when over half the list that you provided me were actually JRPGs.

lol FF7R is a mix between realtime and turn based so what now? How you gone classify it since it's not a fixed element of either? See how trying to pigeon hole JRPGs in to one specific category doesn't work?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Howmakewood
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:

Souls (jrpg) Moster Hunter also (jrpg) Dragon's Dogma (Jprg) so you just say a game isn't a JRPG because it's not turn based or what? It doesn't work like that.

FFXIV isn't turn based either, is it not a JRPG? Nier Automata isn't turn based, is it not a JRPG?

Just because you don't consider them "jrpg" doesn't change the fact that they are and fully created by Japanese devs as RPGs and should be respected, with the depth of Japanese imagination, as JRPGs.

I also enjoy Divinity, I was just confused by you saying you don't play JRPGs for great gameplay when over half the list that you provided me were actually JRPGs.

I play ffxiv actually(have shadowbringers preordered), but yes when I speak of "jrpg" I mean that certain design style which is fairly obvious

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BoxRekt
@howmakewood said:
@boxrekt said:

I play ffxiv actually(have shadowbringers preordered), but yes when I speak of "jrpg" I mean that certain design style which is fairly obvious

I understand that, I'm just saying that doesn't work out.

As I said above, FF7R has both realtime and turn based combat. So, is it not a JRPG now?

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Still find it weird people like JRPGs. Grow up already.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Cyberpunk. No interest in a remade jrpg.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BoxRekt
@sleepnsurf said:

Still find it weird people like video games. Grow up already.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Howmakewood

@boxrekt: it is, be it turn based or fully real time such as ni no Kuni for example, it's the whole party focus and other designs that make the "genre"

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jag85

@boxrekt said:
@sleepnsurf said:

Still find it weird people like video games. Grow up already.

The highest-grossing media franchise of all time is... Pokemon. That says it all, really.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85

@pyro1245: Cyberpunk 2077 is also nostalgia-fuelled though. It's a homage to classic cyberpunk of the '80s and '90s, e.g. Blade Runner, Akira, Neuromancer, Ghost in the Shell, Matrix, and of course Cyberpunk 2020.

FF7R just happens to be a more direct remake of a '90s cyberpunk classic, FF7. So they're both essentially a throwback to '90s cyberpunk nostalgia.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I voted CP2077 because it's my most favorite genre (FPRPG) and reminds me of my favorite game of all time (Deus Ex).

Also it's completely new with a new story, I've already played FF7 enough times. Also CDPR owns.

@boxrekt said:
@howmakewood said:

if CDPR can't even get realistic shooting down don't bring up how exciting the gameplay of any other game is in an attempt to try to defend CP2077 in an argument, just don't.

Deus Ex (new and old), Vampire TMB, New Vegas, and The Elders Scroll (all of them) all have poor combat. First Person RPGs usually have bad melee/gunplay, but only casuals CoD kids will really mind. Anyone looking for a great RPG probably doesn't give a shit. This is the last thing I'm going to worry about for CP2077.

That is really a minor issue didn't really stop the above games from being incredible and timeless classics with great gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Cyberpunk 2077. FFVIIR is an incomplete game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45093 Posts
@briguyb13 said:

Cyberpunk 2077. FFVIIR is an incomplete game.

How is it an incomplete game? Each installment is its own game.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

FF7 Remake will be the superior game by far.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@sleepnsurf: still surprised that people are so limited and shallow to say stuff like that.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Who gives a flying rats ass about that hack n' slash reimagined abomination?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Cyberpunk 2077, no contest. I'm waiting for the FF7 remake, so i'm not hitting that wait after leaving Midgar.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Never played a FF, and don't really have any desire to start now...

So Cyberpunk.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

FF7R for the nostalgia.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Why with these polls are there no "neither" option?

My vote goes to neither.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

FF7 was great, but I already played it. More of the same is bleh. I'd go with original content.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Since FF7 Remake isn't a traditional JRPG anymore, I went with CP2077.