Final Fantasy 16 - 9/10 GS, 88 MC, 90 OC UPDATE: 3 million copies within a week!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45648 Posts

UPDATE 2: Oh snap! 3 million copies!

UPDATE: and the reviews are in!

Final Fantasy XVI is set in the fictional world of Valisthea, a world divided between six nations who hold power through access to magical Crystals and Dominants, humans who act as hosts for each nation's Eikon. Tensions between the nations escalate as a malady dubbed the Blight begins consuming the land. Clive Rosfield, guardian to his younger brother Joshua, witnesses his kingdom destroyed and goes on a revenge quest in pursuit of the dark Eikon Ifrit.

Plot

At the start of the story, during a time of growing unrest in Valisthea, a fifteen year-old Clive serves as Joshua's bodyguard, known as the First Shield of Rosaria, and is tasked with his protection and is subsequently blessed with some power from Phoenix, the Eikon of fire. As Clive tries to prove himself, and Joshua prepares for his role as a Dominant and future role as the Archduke of Rosaria, the Duchy is attacked; in the ensuing battle, a second Eikon of fire, Ifrit, manifests, causing widespread devastation. The tragedies that follow lead Clive to embark upon a quest of revenge, seeking out Ifrit and their dominant.[13][16]

Gameplay

Final Fantasy XVI is an action role-playing game in which players take control of protagonist Clive Rosfield and a rotating party of AI-controlled companions through segmented open areas across the continents of Valisthea.[2][3] Recurring Final Fantasy elements, such as the galliform Chocobo and monster types, are included in the game world.[4] Following a story-driven prologue section,[5] Clive is able to travel to different parts of Valisthea. The world is split between enclosed dungeon environments, town environments, and wider open fields, all selected from a map via a fast travel menu.[5][6]Travel within open zones is done either on foot or via chocobo.[6]Clive's home base is a hideout led by the character Cid, acting as a hub for Clive to talk to non-playable characters (NPCs), track Clive's relationships with different characters, interact with different shops such as potion sellers and blacksmiths to make and upgrade equipment, and accept side quests ranging from character requests to monster hunts.[7]

Combat takes place in the same area players navigate, entering battle once the enemy sees the party. Clive is the only controllable character, with other characters being AI-controlled and having their own attack and magic abilities.[3] Another common companion is the dog Torgal, who responds to Clive's commands to perform special attacks or heal.[8] While in battle, Clive can use normal attacks, a dodge, and use elemental abilities from Eikons, the game's version of recurring Final Fantasy summoned monsters. Clive can switch between different Eikon abilities during battle, stringing them together into different combo attacks.[5][9] A core mechanic of combat is "Stagger", where the party deals specific types of damage which build up a stagger meter to stun an enemy for a short time and making them vulnerable to more attacks.[8] During certain story sections, Clive has battles with Eikons that have dedicated mechanics. After defeating them, Clive gains access to powers and fighting techniques themed around them.[3][10]

Development

Final Fantasy XVI had several leading staff members from Final Fantasy XIV and the Ivalice universe; the developers included Naoki Yoshida (left) as producer, and Hiroshi Minagawa (right) as art director.

Final Fantasy XVI was produced by Creative Business Unit III, a development studio within franchise developer and publisher Square Enix. The staff includes members from the massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) Final Fantasy XIV, and multiple veterans of the Ivalice universe.[2][17]The producer, Naoki Yoshida, worked on Final Fantasy XIV as both producer and director.[18] The main director is Hiroshi Takai, known for his work on the SaGa series and The Last Remnant. Kazutoyo Maehiro acts as creative director and lead writer.[17][19] Yusuke Hashimoto, a former design engineer for Level-5, was lead system programmer.[20]Hiroshi Minagawa acts as art director, while the characters are designed by Kazuya Takahashi.[19] The logo, portraying the Eikons Phoenix and Ifrit in battle and tying into the game's themes and story, is designed by long-time illustrator Yoshitaka Amano.[4]

When creating both the world design and story, the team took criticism fromFinal Fantasy XV(2016) into account, specifically its open world design and story delivery problems.[21]Takai's main goal for the game was an action-based combat that was easy to use, and a maturedark fantasynarrative that would tackle difficult themes.[13]Yoshida wanted the game to cater to neither children or adults but rather something that will reach "players of all generations".[22]He also wanted to separate the game from commonly associated stereotypes such as ananime-inspired art style and a story focusing on teenagers.[23]

Design

When choosing the game's combat system, Yoshida conducted surveys within the Final Fantasy community, finding a division between fans of action-based and more traditional turn-based combat. After considering the potential impact on sales and modern gaming trends, he opted for a real-time action-based battle system.[10] Yoshida admitted that this approach alongside other gameplay decisions risked polarizing series fans, but believed that trying to please every fan by incorporating every element possible would "run the risk of creating a half-baked compromise of a game".[22] During the game's early production, the growing team had a system of designing gameplay tests and completely scrapping those that did not work, with Square Enix's upper management getting frustrated with the team's slow pace.[26] The team decided against an open world, as it would have extended development time beyond a practical limit.[27] Clive was made the only controllable character, with other party members driven by AI to simplify the player's control needs, though commands were included to allow for limited control.[11]

Outside the Kingdom Hearts team, Square Enix had little experience designing action combat. Yoshida sought out Ryota Suzuki, a Capcom veteran who had worked on the Devil May Cry series, as battle designer.[18][22] The battle system was designed around the idea of turning the ability system of Final Fantasy V into a real-time combat system.[11] The Eikon battles all had unique mechanics that were not used again in-game.[28] One of the earliest completed Eikon battles was with Garuda, with its foundation remaining mostly unchanged throughout production.[11] There were no loading screens related to these setpiece battles, with gameplay and dialogue mixed into the final sequences. During the first half of development, an Eikon-based job system was intended for Clive, but it was dropped due to its restrictions on Clive's in-game appearance. Classic Final Fantasy jobs were used as a design inspiration for enemies and some NPCs.[29]

Music

The music is being composed by Masayoshi Soken.[19] Soken had worked with Yoshida and Takai on Final Fantasy XIV, and was brought on board due to his familiarity with Yoshida, Takai and Maehiro's world design style.[33] He described the music as having a singular direction inspired by the overall dark fantasy setting, contrasting it against the variety and lighter tunes for Final Fantasy XIV. Initially asked to provide 140, the game's final total was over 200 songs, including variations on established character themes. He attributed the large number of songs to the wide variety of characters and situations, wanting to avoid repeating the same music too often.[32] Having worked for a long time on Final Fantasy XIV, which used multiple styles and paid homage to the entire series, Soken had trouble adjusting to composing for a single-player with a central narrative and musical theme.[36] The music was the last element to be put in place, after the narrative and gameplay were set.[32]

It's almost here! Are you hyped for Final Fantasy 16, SW? What is your predicted score? I'll go with 9/10 GS, 92 MC (like SF6 lol) .

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7351 Posts

first time I been excited for a final fantasy game since snes final fantasy 4.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44368 Posts

Yawn, the only good FF game was...

:P

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4738 Posts

A Final Fantasy game with only one playable character that can button mash to insta teleport to mobs so you can mash more buttons!....so exciting! This game could not have less interesting gameplay even if it tried to. But we all know the younger generation does not care about gameplay and is easily amused by pretty pictures, so I will say 10/10 lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@mojito1988 said:

A Final Fantasy game with only one playable character that can button mash to insta teleport to mobs so you can mash more buttons!....so exciting! This game could not have less interesting gameplay even if it tried to. But we all know the younger generation does not care about gameplay and is easily amused by pretty pictures, so I will say 10/10 lol.

so what do you prefer, where the characters sit there and take their turn selecting an action with 1 button?

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mojito1988
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:

so what do you prefer, where the characters sit there and take their turn selecting an action with 1 button?

I said 10/10 is that not enough for you? Ok then 9001/10. Better?

On the real though, I am very happy with the direction SE has gone in general. I do not care in the slightest for the direction that FF series has gone, but they still make games I love that just are not Final Fantasy games.

For instance I LOVED Octopath Traveler 2. I played it over 100 hours and loved very minute of it. Same with Triangle Strategy, and Trials of Mana. Those game I loved very much. I just cannot get into modern FF games.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

I'll go with 9/10 here, and 90/100 meta. Haven't played enough of the demo yet, but seems really good. Was hoping for it to be more like FFXIV in the combat part. But maybe there's more to it than I've seen so far.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6992 Posts

8 max.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:

On the real though, I am very happy with the direction SE has gone in general. I do not care in the slightest for the direction that FF series has gone, but they still make games I love that just are not Final Fantasy games.

For instance I LOVED Octopath Traveler 2. I played it over 100 hours and loved very minute of it. Same with Triangle Strategy, and Trials of Mana. Those game I loved very much. I just cannot get into modern FF games.

I really liked what I played from Octopath Traveler 2 - the battle system is refreshing indeed. Unfortunately don't know when I'll get back to it. Only played a couple hours.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
@last_lap said:

8 max.

anyone reason why you feel that way?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44753 Posts

I’ll go with a 9/10 GS and a 91 MC.

Loved the demo. Gameplay and music were excellent. Graphically it looks quite nice and some very epic boss fights. Pretty dark storyline going on here. Never saw Game of Thrones but imagine that this is very much what it’s like.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mojito1988

@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:

I really liked what I played from Octopath Traveler 2 - the battle system is refreshing indeed. Unfortunately don't know when I'll get back to it. Only played a couple hours.

When you do get back to Octopath 2 make sure to get Partitio. He is an AMAZING character!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Actually looks really good. Might be 9 GS and 92 on metacrtic.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#14 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

just finished the demo, really enjoyed it. Also the story was entertaining and it made me want to know more of it. Really looking forward to playing the full game when it releases.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14968 Posts

It feels average.......and oh boy the dialogue is weak.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 texasgoldrush
@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:

When you do get back to Octopath 2 make sure to get Partitio. He is an AMAZING character!

Agnea is the best character in the game actually. Her story is fun, but her abilities are game breaking.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11720 Posts

Seems to have gained a lot of hype from the demo. I think GS gives it a 9, could see a 10 because they are handing those out more frequently nowadays. 92 Meta.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50737 Posts

I'm saying a 9. Combat looks legit. Only drawback I see from demos is way too many cutscenes.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

This is my most anticipated game of the year. I believe, based on the demo, trailers and presentations so far, that FFXVI will be one of the best ARPGs of the last decade in terms of its story, gameplay, graphics and music. So I venture to predict the same score as TotK.

GS: 10 MC: 95

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 texasgoldrush

So how is the writing good? Gamers, especially FF fans are far too easily impressed. The dialogue here, especially compared to stories like it, is weak.

FFVIIR's dialogue and writing was terrible, and still got good reception.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mojito1988

@texasgoldrush said:
@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Agnea is the best character in the game actually. Her story is fun, but her abilities are game breaking.

That is the thing about that game, I find all of the characters to be great in their own way. Agnea's ending was amazing also!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21712 Posts

Played the demo, and I'm on board. Combat was fun and I love big bro/little bro stories. It's going to be tough playing this with AC6 coming up around the corner too.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4589 Posts

From the combat alone, as I skipped all cutscenes, I would say an 9/10 at GS and an 88 MC. The demo is so short, when it comes to actual gameplay, it is hard to say. I would like to see more magic and more options for whatever the move when you hit R2 and Square to get the phoenix to rise.

Overall, I enjoyed what I played and would want to play more.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

The demo was awesome, so I’ll go with a 9

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 texasgoldrush

@iambatman7986 said:

From the combat alone, as I skipped all cutscenes, I would say an 9/10 at GS and an 88 MC. The demo is so short, when it comes to actual gameplay, it is hard to say. I would like to see more magic and more options for whatever the move when you hit R2 and Square to get the phoenix to rise.

I thought the combat was a bit better than it looked, however, its the storytelling and especially the writing I have a problem with.

I compared the dialogue to The Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and even Xuan Yuan Sword 7, and FFXVI pales in comparison.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Archangel3371

From the demo I enjoy the story and writing well enough myself. Don’t care if that means that I’m “easily impressed” or not. I like what I like and by god I’m going to enjoy it. 🤷‍♂️

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2076 Posts

9/10

88-93 mc

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 texasgoldrush

@Archangel3371 said:

From the demo I enjoy the story and writing well enough myself. Don’t care if that means that I’m “easily impressed” or not. I like what I like and by god I’m going to enjoy it. 🤷‍♂️

The writing feels like wonky localization, with the localization team lacking the skill that the Dragon Quest team has, as well as Nintendo in general.

The voice acting sounds very forced too.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archangel3371

@texasgoldrush: Like I just said, I’m enjoying it well enough myself so far. 🤷‍♂️

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61554 Posts

It's really freaking good. Psyched to pick it up.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4589 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@iambatman7986 said:

I thought the combat was a bit better than it looked, however, its the storytelling and especially the writing I have a problem with.

I compared the dialogue to The Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance, and even Xuan Yuan Sword 7, and FFXVI pales in comparison.

Yeah, I literally skipped every cutscene. I just wanted to try the combat. Honestly, most games don't have very good stories. Most are full of tropes we've been seeing since the height of 80's action movies. I am tempted to play the demo again so I can judge what they show storywise for myself.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61554 Posts

These prices have gotten insane. $105 for my pre-order.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40095 Posts

9/10 here. 91 Meta.

Never cared about FF, then i was interested cuz "mature, less fluff", then i saw how fugly the open world looked, and lets just say i don't have time to waste on a singleplayer mmo.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3499 Posts

I just have this gut feeling the storyline won't be as good as the good old days. Hope I am wrong

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3359 Posts

Aside from FF7R, Its been a while since we had a good final fantasy. After FFX, i feel like the series has spiraled down way too hard. FF15 looks promising but square manage to screw it up midway to the game. Here is hoping a 9.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic said:@last_lap said: 8 max.

From what i've seen (which is very little so correct me if i'm wrong) you play as a single person and run around just hacking & slashing. No turn based, no group management with teammates etc.

So, for me it's a hack & slash action game, with rpg elements thrown in. Personally, i'd give it a 5/10 as I have no interest in it. I said 8 because people will like it, it will get some favourable scores because its FF. If it gets 10's then it will be the most laughable reviews ever.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

@mojito1988 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@mojito1988 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mojito1988 said:

That is the thing about that game, I find all of the characters to be great in their own way. Agnea's ending was amazing also!

Don't remember the name, but I started with the Professor lol. He had a very serious anime type voice.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#38  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70804 Posts

@last_lap said:

@SolidGame_basic said:@last_lap said: 8 max.

From what i've seen (which is very little so correct me if i'm wrong) you play as a single person and run around just hacking & slashing. No turn based, no group management with teammates etc.

So, for me it's a hack & slash action game, with rpg elements thrown in. Personally, i'd give it a 5/10 as I have no interest in it. I said 8 because people will like it, it will get some favourable scores because its FF. If it gets 10's then it will be the most laughable reviews ever.

They gave FFVII a 10 on this site.😵‍💫

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Last_Lap

@Pedro: I heard you're stuck in the one city and the game is bloated with filler.

Gamespot gave it a 10 huh, yeah that doesn't surprise me at all.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#40  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19714 Posts

The hype is real...

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic

@Jag85 said:

The hype is real...

Decided not to do the demo! Want to play it straight through when the game arrives. Glad to hear it has been getting really positive reception.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85

My predictions:

Around 90% on Metacritic.

9/10 on GameSpot.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jag85
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Jag85 said:

The hype is real...

Decided not to do the demo! Want to play it straight through when the game arrives. Glad to hear it has been getting really positive reception.

Haven't played the demo either. I wasn't even planning to buy the full game until it comes to Steam... I might have to buy a PS5 again to play it (I sold it back when PS5 scalping was a thing).

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@Jag85:

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jag85

@SolidGame_basic: Ryota Suzuki showing off his DMC5 and Dragon's Dogma skills... Looking forward to those combos!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidGame_basic

Said I wasn't going to try the demo, but got curious 😆

It's awesome.. this is the type of combat Witcher 3 should've had lol. Definitely very dark, and excellent storytelling and presentation. Can't wait for release!!

EastLand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 EastLand
Member since 2018 • 300 Posts

It's literally the first Final Fantasy game I'm considering playing, I've been playing games long before PS1 but have just never understood the attraction of Japanese style games.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#49 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1198 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Said I wasn't going to try the demo, but got curious 😆

It's awesome.. this is the type of combat Witcher 3 should've had lol. Definitely very dark, and excellent storytelling and presentation. Can't wait for release!!

Glad to hear you liked the demo. I also have it pre-ordered. I will wait until release to play it.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16058 Posts

I think I might buy a PS5 for this. I predict a 9/10.