FF7 Remake Trailer - State of Play

• 138 results
#101 Posted by lundy86_4 (52692 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@lundy86_4: that makes no sense, is he crazy?

From Wikipedia:

Hack and slash or hack and slay (H&S or HnS; also can be stylized in a hyphenated form as in hack-and-slash, or with a contracted conjunction as in hack 'n' slay) refers to a type of gameplay that emphasizes combat.

The term "hack and slash" was originally used to describe a play style in tabletop role-playing games, carrying over from there to MUDs, MMORPGs, and role-playing video games. In arcade- and console-style action video games, the term has a different usage, specifically implying a focus on real-time combat with hand-to-hand weapons as opposed to guns or fists.

So, yeah, hack n slash has a focus on combat but it's not limited to physical only.

I think hack n slash is not even a genre, but more a type of combat. You can have hack n slash in multiple genre of games.

Sooo... You're proving my point? HnS utilize guns as well. Your quote actually stipulates hand-to-hand as opposed to swords, which tormentos updated within the next quote. Furthermore, it stipulates "weapon-based" within the "Action-Games" segment. All that being said, guns are utilized in HnS games... Unequivocally. As I said, both Bayonetta and the DmC series utilize guns heavily.

#102 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@lundy86_4: yes, I am, I think tormentos made no sense.

#103 Posted by lundy86_4 (52692 posts) -

@calvincfb: Dude, every time I talk to you, i've had a few drinks after a long day... I am not on a roll lol. The first sentence of your post says it all. Again, my bad.

#104 Posted by Jag85 (13353 posts) -

@m_machine024 said:

Never play the original but I'd play this. Looks fun.

Somehow, Cloud's face looks very feminine...

Cloud has always had a somewhat androgynous appearance. And for good reason. You'll realize when you play the game.

#105 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Jag85: that's true for most final fantasy protagonists, I'd even say that is true for most square enix male leads or even almost all men that are considered beautiful in Japanese media, they're always androgynous.

In Japan, androgynous guys are seen as beautiful boys, you can see this very clearly in their boybands.

Noctis, zidane, cloud, squall, vaan are all very androgynous and that's simply because how beautiful men are portrayed there.

#106 Edited by MirkoS77 (14055 posts) -
@blackhairedhero said:

@MirkoS77: I personally think it's a welcome change. Hopefully you can control multiple party members on the fly and assign different strategies. I always dreamed about the combat being in real time even when I first played the game in the late 90s.

Yeah, no doubt nostalgia's influencing my perspective, but when it comes to old games being brought into the present it always does. I'd be very happy with everything they're doing now....the cinematics, voices, sound, new perspective when running around....It all looks very well done, but I adore FF VII mostly because of its battle system. Running around and being suddenly hit by this not knowing when it was coming made things tense and epic.

Perhaps we can control whomever we want, we'll see. I'll try it and more than likely enjoy it, but to me it just won't be FF VII with turn-based fights. My heart sank when I heard the announcement it was changing.

#107 Posted by garywood69 (513 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

I just hope Tifa has her famous big boobs.

Or at least give gamers the option to adjust them in the settings.

Lol that would be so out of place in a Final Fantasy game. They're serious affairs.

They should do the responsible thing and just make sure they're big enough from the start, whilst pretending it's completely normal.

#108 Edited by Jag85 (13353 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@Jag85: that's true for most final fantasy protagonists, I'd even say that is true for most square enix male leads or even almost all men that are considered beautiful in Japanese media, they're always androgynous.

In Japan, androgynous guys are seen as beautiful boys, you can see this very clearly in their boybands.

Noctis, zidane, cloud, squall, vaan are all very androgynous and that's simply because how beautiful men are portrayed there.

Not just Japan, but also neighbouring South Korea, e.g. K-pop boy bands like BTS. That's what is considered the typical male beauty standard in that part of the world.

But still, FFVII is quite unique in that regard, because of how it actually uses Cloud's somewhat androgynous-looking appearance to actually drive the plot forward. It's not just cosmetic like many other JRPGs, but it actually serves a purpose in FFVII (i.e. the Honey Bee Inn arc).

#109 Posted by tormentos (28735 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Sooo... You're proving my point? HnS utilize guns as well. Your quote actually stipulates hand-to-hand as opposed to swords, which tormentos updated within the next quote. Furthermore, it stipulates "weapon-based" within the "Action-Games" segment. All that being said, guns are utilized in HnS games... Unequivocally. As I said, both Bayonetta and the DmC series utilize guns heavily.

Dude the term hack and slash for years has been use to describe single player games with sword play,never EVEEEEERRRRRRR has a game with characters carrying just a gun been call hack and slash.

In the case of Bayonneta and DMC those games are primary hack and slash and the characters have guns on them,but primary they are hack and slash games,is also a term used to downplay games as something that is just bland and repetitive.

FF7 is an RPG anyone who call this game hack and slash is just downplaying the game plain and simple.

From what i see on that video i didn't see anything like that,characters will slash with their weapons on RPG's FF7 on PS1 is like that.

But again i know it is not you who call the game a hack and slash game but certain butthurt lemming who he green with envy because he isn't getting this game..lol

#110 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5159 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@WitIsWisdom: you can play the OG game if you want. This one if for those of us who are the afraid of change.

I assume you mean, for those of you who aren't afraid of change. If so, let me just say that I am in no way afraid of change, it's just when people are getting excited about this game and calling it a remake... well, it isn't a remake, it's a reimagining for new school game players who want their games to be played for them. A remake isn't "change" a remake means staying true to the subject and maybe updating it... if you think that making a turn-based RPG a lame ass hack n slash means I'm afraid of change then I don't even know what to say.

#111 Edited by Dark_sageX (3386 posts) -

Its been how long since they last showed a footage and this is all they have to show us? we are not only STILL on Midgar but we are still at the very beginning of the game?, at this point I expected the game to atleast show Junon, absolutely pathetic, square showing once again that they suck at management, the only reason this trailer was shown was to keep hype for the game alive, its a PR stunt and nothing more.

#112 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom: it is a remake whether you like it or not.

#113 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Dark_sageX: "more info on June".

What does the future look like?

#114 Posted by Dark_sageX (3386 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

Oh OK, so in June you think they will show us Junon? or Wutai? You know at this point I'd be impressed if they even showed Cid, Vincent or Yuffie (lol they haven't even introduced Tifa yet, TIFA, who is in Midgar!), like I said, worst project managers EVER, absolute,ly ludicrousness that they think 10 years development time for a game is acceptable.

#115 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Dark_sageX said:
@calvincfb said:

Oh OK, so in June you think they will show us Junon? or Wutai? You know at this point I'd be impressed if they even showed Cid, Vincent or Yuffie (lol they haven't even introduced Tifa yet, TIFA, who is in Midgar!), like I said, worst project managers EVER, absolute,ly ludicrousness that they think 10 years development time for a game is acceptable.

I don't know what they'll show us in June, but unless you have some info on when the game will release, you should stay quiet. ;)

#116 Edited by Kali-B1rd (2035 posts) -
@Dark_sageX said:
@calvincfb said:

You realise the project was outsourced originally, and most of that work was scrapped?

#117 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@Dark_sageX said:
@calvincfb said:

You realise the project was outsourced originally, and most of that work was scrapped?

He even forgot that the game was announced in 2015. It hasn't been 5 years since the game was announced and people are crying. It took rockstar 8 years to develop RDR2 and nobody made a fuss about.

SQEX mistake was announcing this too early because these people are too anxious and can't wait.

#118 Posted by Dark_sageX (3386 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:
@Dark_sageX said:
@calvincfb said:

Thanks for proving my point, utterly terrible project management.

#119 Posted by I_P_Daily (11421 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Dude the term hack and slash for years has been use to describe single player games with sword play,never EVEEEEERRRRRRR has a game with characters carrying just a gun been call hack and slash.

In the case of Bayonneta and DMC those games are primary hack and slash and the characters have guns on them,but primary they are hack and slash games,is also a term used to downplay games as something that is just bland and repetitive.

FF7 is an RPG anyone who call this game hack and slash is just downplaying the game plain and simple.

From what i see on that video i didn't see anything like that,characters will slash with their weapons on RPG's FF7 on PS1 is like that.

But again i know it is not you who call the game a hack and slash game but certain butthurt lemming who he green with envy because he isn't getting this game..lol

You are a complete muppet tormy, I had a conversation with lundy about the game on the first page and clearly said I like 8 more than 7 as I have played both have you?

I'm not downplaying this, Square are morons for taking out the turn based combat, for hack n slash style gameplay, its as simple as that, but not so simple for you to comprehend. If I wanted to play FF7 I could just buy it on my Xbox, again a simple concept that you can't comprehend.

As for you stealth bashing me like a little COWard, its because you can't win a debate with me, so to you tormy I say

#120 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Dark_sageX: lol you got owned and tried to spin and deflect. LMAO

I'm waiting for the massive ownage you'll have when they announce the release date to early 2020. LMFAO.

#121 Edited by Dark_sageX (3386 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

@Dark_sageX: lol you got owned and tried to spin and deflect. LMAO

I'm waiting for the massive ownage you'll have when they announce the release date to early 2020. LMFAO.

" lol you got owned", OK.

Interesting, All episodes to be finished and released by 2020? you sure you want to take that bet? think very very VERY carefully about it.

#122 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Dark_sageX: spinning now, are you? They said multi part project, not episodic, and they said each game will be a full fledged game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-multiple-full-sized/1100-6438387/

"Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series... So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

Do your research instead of talking about stuff you clearly know nothing about.

LMAO owned again.

#123 Posted by Dark_sageX (3386 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

@Dark_sageX: spinning now, are you? They said multi part project, not episodic, and they said each game will be a full fledged game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-multiple-full-sized/1100-6438387/

"Whereas with Final Fantasy VII Remake, we already have a preexisting story, so it wouldn't really make sense if that isn't encompassed in a multi-part series... So if we're just looking at each of these parts, one part should be on par with the scale of one Final Fantasy XIII game."

LMAO owned again.

Ok fine, Sorry not "Episodes", Do you think all "Parts" will be released by 2020? Look either you own up to your BS and take the bet or admit you are wrong.

#124 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Dark_sageX said:
@calvincfb said:

LMAO owned again.

Ok fine, Sorry not "Episodes", Do you think all "Parts" will be released by 2020? Look either you own up to your BS and take the bet or admit you are wrong.

Nobody ever said that, I can't bet on something I haven't said, take the L and do some research. lmfao.

#125 Posted by AJStyles (736 posts) -

@i_p_daily: In 1997. It always was a hack and slash game.

You press X the entire time and Cloud slash’s people to death. You can win every battle like this.

This is a good thing because it speeds up the slow paced game.

#126 Posted by Dark_sageX (3386 posts) -
@calvincfb said:

I can't bet on something I haven't said

@calvincfb said:

I'm waiting for the massive ownage you'll have when they announce the release date to early 2020. LMFAO

So can I take that as you're chickening out? good, thats about the only sane thing you did up to this point.

#127 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@Dark_sageX said:
@calvincfb said:

I can't bet on something I haven't said

@calvincfb said:

I'm waiting for the massive ownage you'll have when they announce the release date to early 2020. LMFAO

So can I take that as you're chickening out? good, thats about the only sane thing you did up to this point.

I was obviously referring to part one, not to all of the parts.

lol owned LMFAO.

I know you're going to say I'm spinning, lying, moving goalposts or anything along those lines so I'm anticipating it and owning you in advance. You can't win this.

Take the L.

#128 Posted by tormentos (28735 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

You are a complete muppet tormy, I had a conversation with lundy about the game on the first page and clearly said I like 8 more than 7 as I have played both have you?

I'm not downplaying this, Square are morons for taking out the turn based combat, for hack n slash style gameplay, its as simple as that, but not so simple for you to comprehend. If I wanted to play FF7 I could just buy it on my Xbox, again a simple concept that you can't comprehend.

As for you stealth bashing me like a little COWard, its because you can't win a debate with me, so to you tormy I say

Sorry but i have seen the video 10 times,and nothing indicates that is hack and slash,also considering in hack and slash games you continue to attack without stopping unless your hit.

This isn't what i saw in the video if you issue a command to slash and you have to wait to attack again is not a hack and slash game in the traditional form at all.

Yeah i played the PS1 version in fact i still own the disc version,not the digital version that came latter and o spent over 100 hours on it.

You are assuming it is a hack and slash game based on the character attacking which doesn't even show anything more,you in deed don't know how you issue attacks and if you can freely move on combat.

#129 Posted by tormentos (28735 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

@i_p_daily: In 1997. It always was a hack and slash game.

You press X the entire time and Cloud slash’s people to death. You can win every battle like this.

This is a good thing because it speeds up the slow paced game.

The term he is using doesn't apply to FF7 even that you can just hit X and attack,because it is turn based,you are not actually hacking and slashing your way controlling the character,which is why he claim now that it is a hack and slash which mean Bayonetta,GOW,DMC king of gameplay.

But from what i see on the video it doesn't look like it,it just show the characters attacking,which is why he thinks the game is a hack and slash.

#130 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5159 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@WitIsWisdom: it is a remake whether you like it or not.

No, it's not, whether you like it or not. It's a reimagining.

Taken straight from good old google for your viewing pleasure:

"Remake: Re-making the original film (game in this case), with minimal or no changes.

"A Reimaginingreinterprets (an event, work of art, etc.) imaginatively; rethink. To make significant changes and/or to imagine again or anew especially : to form a new conception of : re-create.

Now, we are talking about a game that was turn-based, where you control all of your characters, and set in a single lengthy yet lone episode.

What we are getting is a near hack n' slash where attacks are fast with what appears to be a slightly delayed timer (perhaps like an MMO), hard to say looking at the video, but it's clear that it sure as hell isn't turn based by any means. You control one character in which you can move wherever you like, and the game is rumored to be released periodically, or at the very least incomplete at launch. I know that last one isn't proven either way yet, but come on... to say this is just a remake is ridiculous.

You can't strip everything from a game and then rebuild its mechanics and call it a remake.

Just do me a favor and go back and tell me if this is a "Remake" or a "Reimagining" based on what the words actually mean, and not what you want them to mean because you don't have enough diversity in your vocabulary to clearly distinguish the two, or because you get wrapped up in PR marketing bullshit and don't have the mental fortitude to not immediately believe everything you see and hear when it's brought to you by someone you want to believe.

I bet you like the new shitty Final Fantasy games huh? That would explain why you are defending this so strongly... Either way, I'm happy you are excited and looking forward to this game, I for one am not, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like this either. Will I play it or give it a shot? Possibly, but probably only out of morbid curiosity if I do since I like to amuse myself with things like that, and it isn't a financial burden.

You're probably one and the same that argue the Xbox One has native backward compatibility too... lol

Some people call a dog a dog and others call them by breed, it's not hard to see which ship each of us floated up in.

By the way, you're welcome, no need to thank me.

#131 Edited by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom: Square is calling it a remake, square is the owner of the IP, so square decides what it is. It's a remake and there's nothing you can do about it. You can use semantics, cry, throw a tantrum, go to Twitter and argue, write walltexts but the truth is a simple one: it's a remake.

Deal with it.

#132 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5159 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@WitIsWisdom: Square is calling it a remake, square is the owner of the IP, so square decides what it is. It's a remake and there's nothing you can do about it. You can use semantics, cry, throw a tantrum, go to Twitter and argue, write walltexts but the truth is a simple one: it's a remake.

Deal with it.

I don't give a flying rats ass what Square is calling it, that doesn't make it so. Bethesda was saying Fallout 76 was their most ambitious, polished, and fun to play game they had ever made months before release.. how did that turn out? (and no, I'm not comparing Fallout 76 to this game, it's just the point, and if that one doesn't stick you can just as easily insert Anthem)

My entire point, which obviously flew right over your head, although I broke it down as elementary as humanly possible, was to spell everything out for you letter by letter, which is ironically why it was so long.. Now it appears you didn't even take the time to read it. Which I can say isn't shocking the more I am getting to know your character and having the pleasure of dealing with you. You just can't talk sense into some people, you either don't make a good enough point, or you go into too much detail... lol. People like you crack me up. The only narrative that matters to people like you is "but they said." No thinking outside the box, no asking questions, nothing.. that's it.. take it as gospel and disagree and argue with anyone who questions it, that's all there is to life.

Oh well, Square found its perfect audience with people just like you, so who cares I guess. I for one am tired of "remakes" and that's with games they actually remade well, so when they take a fan favorite like this one and then butcher it beyond recognition and still call it a remake? No.. just no. I would have been interested if it actually was a remake, but it isn't.. it's that simple

Some people are so damned gullible it's beyond my comprehension as to how they even function on a daily basis.

I can take a shit and call it a gold bar... that doesn't mean it is.

Deal with it.

#133 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom: didn't read what you wrote. It's still a remake.

Sorry, you'll just have to deal with it.

#134 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5159 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@WitIsWisdom: didn't read what you wrote. It's still a remake.

Sorry, you'll just have to deal with it.

I tried to bestow some wisdom upon you, but alas, thou art a lost cause. Have fun working at Burger King.

I will deal with it, and that is what I get for trying to be a shepherd by steering the poor blind sheep away from the wolf. I just hope that one day you won't be such a corporate puppet... it isn't good for a long healthy outlook on life.

Oh, and by the way, I know you read it ;)

#135 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

I think they'll get this game into shape one day.. I just don't know when.

#136 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom: once again you write and once again I didn't read.

But here, what is written?

Final Fantasy VII REMAKE.

I won, you lost

Lmao owned.

#137 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5159 posts) -

@calvincfb said:

@WitIsWisdom: once again you write and once again I didn't read.

But here, what is written?

Final Fantasy VII REMAKE.

I won, you lost

Lmao owned.

Once again you did read it, and once again you're a pawn. It's hilarious how you think you own people when your mental acuity is less than that of a fruit fly.

It is not a remake. I don't care what they say, or what you think (if that is what you do... I'm beginning to doubt you do at all). Like I said before in different wording if Square was selling apples and told people like you they were golden fruits of the gods and charging $35 each there would be people lined up around the block to buy them by the basket.

Businesses use buzz words like that to get people interested because it's a word that's often synonymous with making money in recent years. On that note, I can't really fault them I guess, it's a solid strategy albeit false advertising. I just find it amusing that potatoes can't see the difference with all those eyes.

Either way, I'm done with you anyways... it isn't even fun trying to have a debate with someone that has a 6th-grade education level. If you're a kid I apologize if you're not... lol..

#138 Posted by Calvincfb (943 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom: so much text, ain't nobody got time for that lol.

Still ffvii is a remake as shown in the logo LMAO