Fellow PS3 owners: Would you PAY for HOME?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Topic.  Why do I ask?

In a danish magazine I picked up yesterday(GameReactor) in the news columm they have this little segment about quite a few third party developers saying that Home will feature a monthly fee.
Sony refuse apparently to comment on the rumours.

I never actually thought about it, but in a way I can sort of see it happening. I think we all assumed that they would do micro transactions and the hole purchase-virtual-clothes-and-furniture-for-real-money thing would be there, but a hard fee like on Live?

If it's true, then it's bad news for everybody. It is bad news for the people who hoped that wouldn't have to pay the social structure, and it's bad news for people who hoped Homes free service could push Microsoft into removing their fee aswell.

I'll admit. People here right from the start have been saying that it was not possible. Perhaps it ain't, but if we have to pay, then what they are offering right now is not enough. Walking around in virtual space and designing a fee and playing in game pool is alright, but I don't think it would justify 15 or 10 bucks a month.

...and remember, Phil Harrison did say that it was free for now, and that Sony may not have Home be free indefinitely.

So what say ye?  Would you pay for HOME, if/when it comes to that? 

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
If done right, saying I owned a PS3 at the time, I would pay for it.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dreams-Visions
cool.
Acenso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Acenso
Member since 2006 • 2355 Posts
Its probably going to be the greatest microtransaction dump for developers to make easy money from
ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts
nobody should pay for home unless its the revolution 
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts
Well since this is SYSTEM WARS I guess everyone should be able to comment on this...UHHHH if it results in Sony having an online service that matches or exceeds XBOX LIVE for a similar price then its worth it. It will exceed it if they can keep the dedicated servers but add the requirement that every PS3 game from then on have some kind of online support, voice support, and the unified friend list thingy which some PS3 owners say it does have but I never got to witness because the only online game I played when I borrowed it was R:FOM.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
No I won't pay for the basic service and they aren't going to charge for it. There will be plenty of digital goods to buy and services to get inside of Home so maybe if the price is right for something cool I would pay for that. That is their business model here you know..... everything basic is free and they offer extra content at a price.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
If I'm not willing to pay for XBL, I'm not going to be willing to pay for HOME. If it's free great, if not then I'll pass.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts
I still don't know all the features it has.  It sounds promising, but even if it was utterly amazing, i still would have reservations about paying for it.  I've been gaming online on the pc for years, and absolutely love services like Xfire, but to pay for something like that when i've had it free for so long...it's just ludacris.
springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts
id pay $5 a year
ultima-flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ultima-flare
Member since 2003 • 2259 Posts
A monthly fee? Heck no! A one time price of like $60? Sure why not.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts
Well, if PS3 sales don't pick up, then Sony might charge for HOME.  
r11011b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 r11011b
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts
I wouldn't pay a dime. I mean, I like the idea of Home, but it's really just an extravagant version of a game lobby, and totally unnecessary.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Haha that'd be ridiculous.
chaos-SD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chaos-SD
Member since 2007 • 499 Posts
Are you talking about what Harrison said in GDT?  Because he said it would be free, he didn't say 'for now'.  Anywho, it depends how much they would charge.
Though, I would like to say that it is very possible to make Home free with the route they are taking.  The article says many have been saying it's impossible to run Home for free.  Yet, that's far from the truth.  With their plan to use sponsorship and advertisement to make Home free, Sony actually stands to make a large profit from it.
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
No I don't want to pay for it as its a luxury online item just to meet gamers and chat etc.  PS3 fans have been telling me PSN is free and bash XBL.  I have a X360 and now last week I got a Ps3 and think its great, now please don't make something I was interested in like Home, cost me money I wasn't expecting.
squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts
If they made us pay, I wouldnt buy it, unless they said it was like one fee and then its free I dont mind but if its monthly, then forget about it, I am happy just getting to own ppl online free. :)
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
Depends on how much....sure as heck wouldn't pay Live level pricing.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
i dont see myself paying for home if there was a fee. not into sims games and their virtual interaction doesnt appeal to me. at least they have a option for gamers to have home or not. if they decided to have online fees like xbl i wouldnt pay either atm cause they dont have online games that attract me right now and counting the announced upcoming games.
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts

I don't see the appeal at all in Home, I think the only reason it gets the praise it already has is because it's free, that's it. I wouldn't pay a cent for it.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dreams-Visions
Depends on how much....sure as heck wouldn't pay Live level pricing.Runningflame570
$4/month isn't exactly a metric ton of money...
sneekite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sneekite
Member since 2004 • 1599 Posts

I don't see the appeal at all in Home, I think the only reason it gets the praise it already has is because it's free, that's it. I wouldn't pay a cent for it.

lantus

I think many people are excited for Home because it brings the PSN a bit closer to XBL in terms of unified friends/parties, game invites, and social interactions. These are the things I expect Sony to keep free, and if they do decide to charge for that core system then I doubt I will pay for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

[QUOTE="Runningflame570"]Depends on how much....sure as heck wouldn't pay Live level pricing.Dreams-Visions

Except it isn't $4 a month.  To get it that cheap you have to pay in one lump sum, $50 all at once.

I could say the ps3 is cheap because it costs about $8 a month assuming you'll have it for ~6 years.  But you don't pay $8.  You pay $600.  If you were to buy Live by the month it would cost closer to $10, which builds up after a while.

I'd rather have one new game a year than Live, tbh.

mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mentzer
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

No

I'd rather be bombarded with ads all over the place.

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lantus
[QUOTE="lantus"]

sneekite

I think many people are excited for Home because it brings the PSN a bit closer to XBL in terms of unified friends/parties, game invites, and social interactions. These are the things I expect Sony to keep free, and if they do decide to charge for that core system then I doubt I will pay for it.

I don't see the sense in sugar coating the whole concept with walking around, in a virtual place, I think they only did it say "Yeah we're different than others" namely Microsoft, I just see it as a whole bunch of senseless interacting, when I could do the same things elsewhere without getting to customize my "home" which I could care less about.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Are you talking about what Harrison said in GDT?  Because he said it would be free, he didn't say 'for now'.  Anywho, it depends how much they would charge.
Though, I would like to say that it is very possible to make Home free with the route they are taking.  The article says many have been saying it's impossible to run Home for free.  Yet, that's far from the truth.  With their plan to use sponsorship and advertisement to make Home free, Sony actually stands to make a large profit from it.chaos-SD

exactly he said home would be a free download. thread failed. this is just like lemmings claiming psn would not be free and we all know how that turned.

tool_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tool_rage
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts

No Sir.  I will not pay for home. 

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

Dreams-Visions

Its sure as heck enough for me to buy 2-5 games or 5-10 hardback books off of half.com within an equivalent time frame. 

sneekite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sneekite
[QUOTE="sneekite"][QUOTE="lantus"]

lantus

I don't see the sense in sugar coating the whole concept with walking around, in a virtual place, I think they only did it say "Yeah we're different than others" namely Microsoft, I just see it as a whole bunch of senseless interacting, when I could do the same things elsewhere without getting to customize my "home" which I could care less about.

They did do it to say "Yeah we're different than others," and they also did it to sucker people into buying worthless digital items for their avatars. Despite how silly it seems (to me anyways), the whole avatar based social network is very big and growing, so this is a pretty smart business move. Honestly, I think I'll be spending most of my time operating the "PSP," which will be menu-based and quicker (like XBL).

chaos-SD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chaos-SD
Member since 2007 • 499 Posts
for some reason I get the feeling this is another MGS4 or Gears of War rumor article...
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lantus
[QUOTE="lantus"][QUOTE="sneekite"][QUOTE="lantus"]

sneekite

They did do it to say "Yeah we're different than others," and they also did it to sucker people into buying worthless digital items for their avatars. Despite how silly it seems (to me anyways), the whole avatar based social network is very big and growing, so this is a pretty smart business move. Honestly, I think I'll be spending most of my time operating the "PSP," which will be menu-based and quicker (like XBL).

Sorry I should have explained more, they did a bad presantation of saying they're better than Microsoft.

sneekite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sneekite
[QUOTE="sneekite"][QUOTE="lantus"][QUOTE="sneekite"][QUOTE="lantus"]

lantus

Sorry I should have explained more, they did a bad presantation of saying they're better than Microsoft.

True, the features that Sony is promoting (walking around, customizing homes) can't be "better" than Microsoft because those aren't even the features that Live offers. The things pertinent to gaming are what I'm interested in, and Sony seems to be trying to get close to what Live offers (which is mostly a good thing).

bloodhound9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bloodhound9
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts
i wont pay for home if this is true id rather pay $120 month on PS3 games than 15 or 10 on home but dont think that this is true coz Phil Harrison clearly stated that home is a FREE Internet service but I suppose that is subject to change
winner-ps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 winner-ps3
Member since 2007 • 2364 Posts
no! i would never pay
sxs_alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 sxs_alex
Member since 2007 • 933 Posts
im willing to pay for Home if the online experience is addictive and has lasting appeal. it also depends on how we are getting charge for it. i really don't like paying monthly for other services because right now im paying about $40 for internet.
Kreean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kreean
Member since 2006 • 683 Posts
Paying monthly for HOME? Hell no. Maybe for some premium items, but for the service in general no.
Tarmgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tarmgar
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts
Monthly fee = Hell no.  Flat fee = sure.  Free = appreciated.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

It would really depend on the price and what Home has to offer.

From what I saw at GDC, it's definately a neat idea, but not one I think I'd shell out a monthly fee for or even a Live-esque $50 per year.

I guess part of me wants to see how this develops- if it takes off and there's tons of new content, that would surely make me a bit more willing to pay. But I've never been into those things like myspace, facebook, etc. 

shaggymcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 shaggymcp
Member since 2003 • 2896 Posts

no.  Home has some cool features, but I am not about to spend $50.00 a year on it.  And if it was not for the realease of Forza 2 on the 360, I was going to cancel my XBL account this month, but I finally have a game that is worth paying for live to play online.

But basically once forza 2 becomes stale to me, XBL is gone.  Theres no point to paying for online gaming when there matchmaking service sucks *** and 1/2 to 3/4 of the XBL community has not setup there routers properly for XBL, so basically you get people trying to host a room, and they don't have the connection for it, or they don't have the ports for XBL open, so its laggy as sin.....   Or you just happen to join a room full of screaming 12 year olds, that use cuss words that start with B, and F, and A.... all the letters of the alphabet and then some :roll:  Not to mentino the lovely racist comments every 10 seconds.

the XBL community sucks period, and I am not saying that the PS3 or the wii's ( :lol: ) will be any better, but I would say at least 3/4 of the "gamers" out there are totaly rude, ignorant jackass's, that should have been swallowed at birth, and I am damn sure don't wanna have to pay to hear the crap that I do now as it is.......

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

If they dont allow online play without Home.. then yes..

If I can play games without Home, !@#$ off Subscription. I just wanna play games onlione. 

JeffGenocideX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 JeffGenocideX
Member since 2004 • 4853 Posts
No. I wont even be DLing it. I see HOME as a Doll house for lonely Teenage boys that want to make new friends.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I doubt I would pay for it.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Judging from the responces, Sony won't charge or Home will be much better than we expected. They must surely do market research on this kind of thing and it is pretty obvious that with a monthly charge very few will be interetsed.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts

Judging from the responces, Sony won't charge or Home will be much better than we expected. They must surely do market research on this kind of thing and it is pretty obvious that with a monthly charge very few will be interetsed.cakeorrdeath

I guess thats where the Open Beta comes to play? 

FanGirl_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FanGirl_22
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts
Hrm... :? I guess I'm still a little hazy on what Home is and why I should care. I haven't done my research. But it doesn't look like much more than a fancy chat system with a bragging section. Is there more to it than that?
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
In it's current state, hell no but maybe afew years from now.
Imallvol7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 Imallvol7
Member since 2003 • 7566 Posts
i hate questions like this, because if i say yes, will they make us pay?  I wan't it free.  I would probably pay, but i would never admit it if sony asked.
Avatar image for Watch_Me_Xplode
Watch_Me_Xplode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 Watch_Me_Xplode
Member since 2005 • 8049 Posts
Hell no, the whole selling point of PS3's online service is it's free price of admission. If Home cost money, it would defeat the purpose.
espoac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 espoac
Member since 2005 • 4342 Posts
No, and for the same reason I won't pay for XBL either, I just don't care about online enough.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
I don't even want to use it if it's free.  Hopefully Sony will work on improving the experience for those of us who just want to get into a game and play.