feel like I'm being punished for having a PS4 but not a PS3?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

As a hermit backwards compatibility is never an issue. but I as a late bandwagoner just finished Persona 4 Golden. so naturally I'm not a fan and want to see more.

I notice there are arena games and persona 5 coming. but oh wait.... in 2015 and on last generation systems. "The team don't have the resources to port" - really? these guys that cant just do it afterwards? (soon afterwards).

yet I look at 2014/2015 for the PS4... nothing but more western games that are on my PC. and first party milkage of shallow 10 hour games.

I'm not naive enough to expect PS NOW to have every PS3 game... things like Persona 4 arena will probably fall through the cracks, and all the licensing issues that go with digital/steaming distribution.

They are just examples. there are plenty of other simular situations.

What do you cows do? run with both a PS3 / PS4 hooked up? I'm not dropping £200 on an 8 year old system... its obsurd.

This is the console gaming standard? it seems they do less with each generation.

y7jzdgy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By y7jzdgy
Member since 2014 • 38 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

As a hermit backwards compatibility is never an issue. but I as a late bandwagoner just finished Persona 4 Golden. so naturally I'm not a fan and want to see more.

I notice there are arena games and persona 5 coming. but oh wait.... in 2015 and on last generation systems. "The team don't have the resources to port" - really? these guys that cant just do it afterwards? (soon afterwards).

yet I look at 2014/2015 for the PS4... nothing but more western games that are on my PC. and first party milkage of shallow 10 hour games.

I'm not naive enough to expect PS NOW to have every PS3 game... things like Persona 4 arena will probably fall through the cracks, and all the licensing issues that go with digital/steaming distribution.

They are just examples. there are plenty of other simular situations.

What do you cows do? run with both a PS3 / PS4 hooked up? I'm not dropping £200 on an 8 year old system... its obsurd.

This is the console gaming standard? it seems they do less with each generation.

PlayStation standards will keep circling the toilet as long as fanboys keep cheering Sony on instead of calling them out.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

PS3s aren't expensive. Either skip the game or pick one up.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

That's what you get for not having bought a PS3 and its games back in the day. I have two PS3s and almost a hundred PS3 games. I'll never need to **** with PS (not)Now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@LJS9502_basic said:

I dunno. the 12GB (lol) versions are still £150 ... considering... they are at the what final 2 years of their life... its a pretty annoying thing to have to do. I find it hard to believe a company that makes games as successful as those in both critic reviews and sales cannot port the games... but oh well. is this a sign of no-acceptance of the PS4 in Japan... is the console doomed to be a watered down western PC?

@Bigboi500 said:

That's what you get for not having bought a PS3 and its games back in the day. I have two PS3s and almost a hundred PS3 games. I'll never need to **** with PS (not)Now.

I did get a PS3 in its second/third years... but they had little going for them even then... I feel with the lack of interest in Japan.... and the growing western side of things, I cant see the same support for unique games and Japanese themed games ever being a focus again... which is sad... its not like there arn't a million ways to get western games for us already.

Not sure what you have against PS NOW... considering its still much cheaper (for 7 days) to rent than any on demand rental service (gamefly/boomerang rentals are not the same thing.) has ever been.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I don't understand the complaint at all. PSNow is just around the corner but you can get used PS3s cheap as dirt.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That's your fault for buying a PS4. Both it and the Xbone are trying to be PC's. If you wanted the best exclusive lineup, you should have gone with a PC and Wii U.

I'm not sure how you justified buying a PS4 if you didn't like the exclusive outlook for the first couple years. There is NO point in buying a console if you don't like the exclusives (especially when you own the best multiplat platform).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 foxhound_fox

That's your fault for buying a PS4. Both it and the Xbone are trying to be PC's. If you wanted the best exclusive lineup, you should have gone with a PC and Wii U.

I'm not sure how you justified buying a PS4 if you didn't like the exclusive outlook for the first couple years. There is NO point in buying a console if you don't like the exclusives (especially when you own the best multiplat platform).

@LJS9502_basic said:

$270 CAD for the 500 GB bundle. That's not "expensive" but it's not "cheap" either. A nearly-eight (8) year old console should be no more than $100-150. It's not something someone can just go out randomly and pick up if they are on any sort of budget.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@foxhound_fox said:

Heh I am getting a Wii-U next, there is no budget for a PS3. I just get more disappointed with console gaming since last generation.. they are losing their identity and advantages.. I have a bad feeling about this one too... just getting shallow.

I suppose there is a chance of persona 5 golden on PS4 in like 5 years lol.

more evidence that you shouldn't buy into the s*it system wars spews... these new "HD consoles" are shallow... their E3's were shallow. much dissapointment wow.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox

@MBirdy88 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Heh I am getting a Wii-U next, there is no budget for a PS3. I just get more disappointed with console gaming since last generation.. they are losing their identity and advantages.. I have a bad feeling about this one too... just getting shallow.

more evidence that you shouldn't buy into the s*it system wars spews... these new "HD consoles" are shallow... their E3's were shallow. much dissapointment wow.

Yep, and I was trying to warn people last year when they were both first announced. I said they were nothing but dumbed down PC's and the only reason anyone should ever consider owning one is if they are interested in the exclusives.

A few year old PC's can mop the floor with current consoles. Build something brand new and you are a generation ahead. Running 1600p at 60 fps on three screens, with full settings and paying almost $1000 less a generation for games ($60 cost on console v. $50 cost on PC over the length of a generation)

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

So there are games on the PS3 you want to play but none on the PS4. But instead of buying a PS3 you went and got a PS4 then? Good job, idiot.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Its not that the new consoles are shallow. Its that the games that get the majority of the press are the battlefields, CODS, assassins creeds, and first party games of the world because those are the really big sellers. The ps3 has been getting a steady stream of jrpgs for a long time now and the new consoles will get their share as well. You just have to research outside of your traditional sources, which only care about the heavy hitting, big sellers if you are into a less popular type of game.

The vita gets a lot of hate around here for being a mobile port machine. Well, I bought it specifically for that reason and couldn't be happier. There's a number of ports that I am super excited for because I want to experience them ON my vita, like Rogue Legacy for example. The game isn't a huge release or anything, but the vita is a great system to play metroidvanias on. Do your homework before you buy and you won't end up feeling disappointed.

Besides, don't you have a 360? Persona 4 arena is also on 360.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Persona 5 has been in development for nearly a decade now, so moving development would have increased costs. Although I would have released it on both PS3 and PS4 like Sega did with the Yakuza spin-off.

And about buying a PS4, even as a cow the console never looked that appealing to me. Jumping on the next-gen bandwagon to play a bunch of cookie cutter shooters? Meh.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@ohgeez said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Its not that the new consoles are shallow. Its that the games that get the majority of the press are the battlefields, CODS, assassins creeds, and first party games of the world because those are the really big sellers. The ps3 has been getting a steady stream of jrpgs for a long time now and the new consoles will get their share as well. You just have to research outside of your traditional sources, which only care about the heavy hitting, big sellers if you are into a less popular type of game.

The vita gets a lot of hate around here for being a mobile port machine. Well, I bought it specifically for that reason and couldn't be happier. There's a number of ports that I am super excited for because I want to experience them ON my vita, like Rogue Legacy for example. The game isn't a huge release or anything, but the vita is a great system to play metroidvanias on. Do your homework before you buy and you won't end up feeling disappointed.

Besides, don't you have a 360? Persona 4 arena is also on 360.

I felt the same way about the Vita... I love it, such a shame about its overall support. I'm suprised Persona 4 Arena is no on that tbh.

Nah I don't have a Wii/Ps3/360 anymore I've had them all at some point. 360 was by far the worst purchase. PS3... probably should of held onto it longer... but at the time the year I had it... it was just as empty.

I agree completely again on the vita though... whats wrong with a port machine that is portable? hell... I've had more fun with these "ports" than th emajority of the 3DS library (though also good in its own right).

I'm sure they will get their share. the realisation of how inconvenient consoles actually are though... is hitting me in this situation. what is convenient about having to purchase a PS3 for games coming out in 2015? its quite pathetic really. I'm glad sony are at least trying to offer a solution to this problem though... sadly the tech is perhaps even now still abit premature.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

If you didn't like the games, and you didn't like the games that were announced to be released in the future... why did you buy the PS4? Sounds like user error.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I am betting the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be sold for $100 this Christmas season. I am personally waiting on that price point to pick up a 360. The PS3 has some exclusive gems and free online, so it would have been a much better purchase than the PS4. The PS4 will be pretty good someday, though.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

@MBirdy88: Yeah in regards to the vita, I'm having a blast with terraria which just showed up on ps+ and the accessibility is the big thing. I'm too busy in life now to just sit down on teh couch and play games for hours on end. With the vita, I play it in bed, I take the dog out to crap and play it outside, I take full advantage of the sleep functionality and get a little time in here and there. Consoles have become a production that I don't have much time for anymore.

You're right about the console tech as well. Its heading in the direction of everything being connected to everything else. PS4 to vita streaming and steam streaming are HUGE deals to me. While i don't have a ps4 yet, it supposedly works pretty well. The steam streaming works great as I pretty much played the entirety of dark souls 2 that way. I'm just waiting for the day I can stream my PC to my vita, if that'll ever come. There is some homebrew app for that, but it is broken and hardly works. My fingers are crossed for PS NOW as I think it has a lot of potential, especially for somebody like me who is on the go a lot.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts

PS3 more than pays for itself.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Thats why yoy should got a xbox. Ps4 has shit this year

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I am betting the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be sold for $100 this Christmas season. I am personally waiting on that price point to pick up a 360. The PS3 has some exclusive gems and free online, so it would have been a much better purchase than the PS4. The PS4 will be pretty good someday, though.

There is no way Sony and MS would drop the prices by $150. They are actually making money on them right now. Good money.

Chances are, you'll be waiting a really long time for those prices. Like, product being discontinued and cleared from retail long.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

So does the X1....

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

There is no way Sony and MS would drop the prices by $150. They are actually making money on them right now. Good money.

Chances are, you'll be waiting a really long time for those prices. Like, product being discontinued and cleared from retail long.

I am banking on Black Friday. Both were available for $200 last year. Should be even less this year. The retailers will drop the price to get people into their stores.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Devs are still supporting PS3, nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it'll come out for PS4 eventually if you can wait.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

When you consider that both of the new consoles use the x86 instruction set architecture versus I think Power ISA for PS3 and Xbox 360, it's no wonder we don't have backwards compatibility. We take it for granted on PC but it certainly shouldn't be assumed to exist on new consoles (not saying you did).

That's why I still have my Xbox 360 next to my xbox One, likewise with Gamecube and Wii U.

Also the PS3 is pretty bad, not missing much.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I purchased a PS3 long ago so I haven't had this situation. Otherwise I don't game on PC so the PS4 is still a worthy console even today; while there isn't much on the PS4 at the moment I don't have all the time in the world to game so I still have a backlog for it, then you throw in other consoles and handhelds for gaming and I'm perfectly content with what I have at the moment.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

2014 looks absolutely dreadful for both.

Everything good is coming in 2015, especially for Sony. That's when I plan to pick up my ps4.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By foxhound_fox

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@k2theswiss said:

Everything good is coming in 2015, especially for Sony. That's when I plan to pick up my ps4.

Everything that cows and lemmings are saying is "good". I'll wait for general critical reception before passing judgement.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ReadingRainbow4

@foxhound_fox said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@k2theswiss said:

Everything that cows and lemmings are saying is "good". I'll wait for general critical reception before passing judgement.

Good for you?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I picked up a PS3 last black friday, I've been pretty happy with that choice. Don't see much reason to get a PS4 atm

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ReadingRainbow4

@Chutebox said:

Devs are still supporting PS3, nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it'll come out for PS4 eventually if you can wait.

This threads giving me major flashbacks to that one we had a few days back with Lemmings claiming that Microsoft takes better care of their legacy customers.

And how everytime I brought up persona 5 it was ignored by certain users, lol.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

well yeah it is kinda your fault if you want to be playing old games for an old system that's been around for almost a decade now instead of new games on a new system knowing that there would be no feasible way to bring proper backwards compatibility to that system.

I kept my ps3. We use it as a blu-ray player for living room for the most part, but the games are all still there.

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Nice try, but it because you acted lemming last gen.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Its your fault for not owing a PS3 in the first place.

I dont know why you are bitching.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

One of the reasons I kept my PS3 was because the beginning of a console cycle generally is pretty bad. Plus, there are games I still play on my PS3. Not sure why people sold their PS3 to get a PS4 knowing it wasn't backward compatible.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

There's no need to get a next-gen console at this point. Almost every good game is still coming to PS3.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I feel like this was written by a 5 year old. How old are you?? You KNEW what you were buying. Sony did not say it had some backwards compatibility and then took it back after launch. How are you being "punished"? This has to be the dumbest thing I've read on Gamespot and I've read some dumb shit. Would you have felt punished because Xbox 1 doesn't play Xbox games? Would you feel punished if you bought a new car and next year they change the design? I keep laughing at how childish this topic really is. You made your investment. Either sell it or buy a PS3 and stop making ridiculous topics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

So, as I pretty much expected. this is acceptable practice. no doubt. Its obvious, but still frustrating.

In order to play 2015 games, I have to downgrade. console gamers complain about PCs having to be upgraded.... now I'm seeing it the other way around... due to poor manufacturer choices for the last friggin decade.

consolites... your miraculously managing to lower my standards towards your preference even further.

Oh well, at least when I pick up the Wii-U I will have good games, and good backwards compatibility for the ones I missed. funny how the most neglected company manages to get the idea.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@dalger21 said:

One of the reasons I kept my PS3 was because the beginning of a console cycle generally is pretty bad. Plus, there are games I still play on my PS3. Not sure why people sold their PS3 to get a PS4 knowing it wasn't backward compatible.

I havent heard of anyone that traded in their PS3 to get a PS4. And every cow here had already said they were gonna keep their ps3.

TC never had a PS3 to begin with, and now he's whining like he is owed something he never had to begin with.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I agree, the removal of backwards compatibility for the consoles was a claim to the market that short run expenses out weigh saving money in the long run.

Now we have teams wasting their time on remasters to "polish" their game and charge a premium for it. Think about it, with as much money as people spent on these blasted remasters, they could have gotten a BC PS3 back in the day.

Also Sony, being the jerks they are, assume everybody has fantastic internet, had abandoned emulators in favor of their overpriced POS called Playstation Now. When consoles are trying to mimic PCs, it's sickening that they cannot make the systems backwards compatible. But hey, the games market is just a gold mine for Sony because they can do no wrong because of their fanboys. Charge you extra and a premium just to visit a game you missed last gen.

I hate having another piece of junk waiting to die on me soon. My phat ps3 doesn't have a long lifespan, considering this is the second one I've had. YLOD and overheating are common problems among its life, and I'm not looking forward to the day I will have to yet but ANOTHER ps3.

Thank you Nintendo for Backwards Compatibility on the Wii U. Seriously, miles ahead of your competition (yet miles behind)

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Its the same on the Xbone i think but to be fair MS had a bad experience with Nvida over BC on the 360, NVIDIA where charging them well over the Odds for MS to be allowed to Emulate Nvidia Hardware on an AMD Chipset.

To be fair to SONY as well it must be quite hard to emulate Ps3 games because of the Nature of CELL architecture Compared to mainstream of the Shelf parts the PS4 uses, it's probably a huge cost that they really don't need at the moment.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

So you had a PS3 and what, you sold it? And now you wish you had a PS3. Smart move.

And now you're complaining that the PS4 which has been out for 6 months doesn't have as many games as PS3 which has been out for 8 years?

Plus if you really are a "Hermit" like you claim than why do you have a PS4 and an XBone? I mean you payed $500 for an Xbone for what? Forza and the worst versions of multiplats?

Looks like the problem is that you're simply unintelligent and/or full of shit. So sell your PS4 and when a game comes out that you want is only on PS4 you can make a new thread and whine about that.

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

Always thought herms had the money to spend...then remembered that they are low income gamers.

successful gamers like myself, have they're ps3 sitting right next to their ps4.

well you can always start a port petition, something Herms are quite good at

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@amazonangry said:

Always thought herms had the money to spend...then remembered that they are low income gamers.

successful gamers like myself, have they're ps3 sitting right next to their ps4.

*facepalm*

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@k2theswiss said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@k2theswiss said:

So does the X1....

opinions, plenty of games for 2014

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

I'm still holding on to all my Gen 7 consoles. Gen six is boxed up and will probably never be returned to.

I have to admit the prices for Gen 7 consoles are way, way too high. Xbox 360 and PS3 both need a $150 slim version with a reasonable (120gb) HD size. What they're asking now is way too much.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I bought a PS3 after getting a PS4 and it was well worth it thanks to PS+. Now I don't have to miss out on P5, Tales of Z and KH II.5 HD Remix.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#49 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@amazonangry said:

I doubt you're successful with that level of grammar/spelling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

You expected two 80m strong install bases to just be dropped like a hat? that's naive.