Favorite Resident Evil?

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@The_Deepblue

Ah yes more "Atmosphere" talk, sorry mate, was too busy blasting spanish mutants in the face with a shot gun to notice that. :p

also The CO-OP was actually fantastic, dare I say its the best in any shooter ? Anyway Its the Companion AI that was awful. Specificity is key. :)

#52 Posted by The_Deepblue (747 posts) -

@delta3074: Good points. However, truth is, Resident Evil has evolved/changed in different ways, especially since 2005. What "feels" like a Resident Evil game probably varies from person to person now. And it's probably just us old folks (who played the original games) who describe the first games as the "real" Resident Evil.

#53 Posted by thehig1 (7013 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

@thehig1 said:

Resident evil 4 wasn't bad actually, but it'd genre shift was the beginning of the end of resodent evil as a survival horror franchise

Exactly

The appeal of the Resident Evil franchise to me was that it was a survival horror zombie game. Resident Evil 4, while not a bad game, completely steered the series in a new direction which I'm not a fan of.

It got rid of zombies in favor of crazed villagers with plants popping out of their heads and changed the series into more of a 3rd person action shooter. Ammunition and weapons were plentiful. Instead of having to conserve ammo and basically being forced to run for your life at certain times.

Glad someone shares my thoughts

Although the newer games including 4 are not terrible games, they have just shifted to a genre I have little interest in.

#54 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@thehig1

You do have awesome thoughts. To be fair. :)

#55 Posted by thehig1 (7013 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: :D

Lets hope the next REmake has Co-op :D

#56 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@thehig1

Amen To That ! :)

and female characters too.

#57 Posted by jessejay420 (4091 posts) -

1.Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

2.Resident Evil 2 (PSX)

3.Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)

4.Resident Evil 1 (PSX)

5.Resident Evil 5 (x360)

#58 Posted by hehe101 (734 posts) -

RE 5, and the lost in nightmares DLC was perfect, I wish they'd just expand on the atmosphere in it etc...

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
#59 Posted by deactivated-59d151f079814 (47239 posts) -

Resident Evil 2 for the atmosphere, so good in fact, that I have read the novelization of it many times.. Gameplay wise I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 the most in replaying multiple times with friends..

#60 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@hehe101

I wish the Whole game was like Lost in Nightmares. :( only with much much less back tracking.

#61 Posted by spaceninja818 (425 posts) -

RE2, RE3, REmake, RE:CVX, REvelations, RE0, RE4, RE5, RE6. If you want a good laugh, try the original RE1.

#62 Posted by mariokart97 (913 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

Resident Evil 2 for the atmosphere, so good in fact, that I have read the novelization of it many times.. Gameplay wise I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 the most in replaying multiple times with friends..

Based on the comments on this thread many believe Resident Evil 5 to be a very action oriented game. I have no experience with the game myself, but what are the strengths of the game in your opinion?

Many have also said Resident Evil 4 was also very action oriented, which I agree to to a degree, but RE4 def had it's horror moments.

I mean, there were def times I had to fight waves of enemies on RE4, but I had to use my ammo wisely or I would run out and there would be more enemies to kill and I would be vulnerable. There was def strategy in killing certain enemies with certain weapons.

#63 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@mariokart97

President Evil 5 is a carbon copy of President Evil 4 only with Co-Op, better gameplay and graphics. Remember those alternate Campaigns in President Evil 4, Seperate Ways and Ada's Assignment.... President Evil 5 has something like that but its DLC, keep that in mind if you ever decided to play it. The Lost in Nightmares DLC was actually fantastic, its basicly 30 Minutes of Classic Presindent Evil only without the terribal terribal design choices. :) The Desperate Escape DLC is what everybody is accusing President Evil 5 of being, non stop action. Basicly the DLC seperates the compistions that make up the main game. One moment you'l blasting a Giant Mutant with a Lazer and the next moment you'l be making a desperate escape from the Lickers or playing Hide and Seek with Wesker.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#64 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

4, by far. It's my favourite game of all-time. Don't like the ones before it, Resident Evil has always been inferior to Silent Hill 1-3 and Dino Crisis.

#65 Posted by Ballroompirate (26007 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@Zelda187 said:

@thehig1 said:

Resident evil 4 wasn't bad actually, but it'd genre shift was the beginning of the end of resodent evil as a survival horror franchise

Exactly

The appeal of the Resident Evil franchise to me was that it was a survival horror zombie game. Resident Evil 4, while not a bad game, completely steered the series in a new direction which I'm not a fan of.

It got rid of zombies in favor of crazed villagers with plants popping out of their heads and changed the series into more of a 3rd person action shooter. Ammunition and weapons were plentiful. Instead of having to conserve ammo and basically being forced to run for your life at certain times.

Glad someone shares my thoughts

Although the newer games including 4 are not terrible games, they have just shifted to a genre I have little interest in.

Have to agree as well, RE4 was a good game and one of my favorite games, except it dropped everything that made RE what it was in RE1, RE2, RE3 and CV. I loved killing zombies and bio mutated creatures in a mansion/suburban city, I loved Umbrella for being the "scum corporation" wanting to hide their mistakes.

#66 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 by far.

Actually, 4, 5, Revelations, and ReMake are the only ones I'd actually play.

#67 Edited by wiifan001 (18659 posts) -

4 > 5 > Umbrella Chronicles
that's all i've played

#68 Edited by sukraj (27808 posts) -

RE4

#69 Posted by Pffrbt (6612 posts) -

1. RE4
2. RE5
3. Revelations
4. RE6.

@pelvist said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Any choice that isn't 4 is wrong.

4 is when Resident Evil stopped being Resident Evil, so 4 is wrong.

4 is when Resident Evil stopped being shit.

#70 Posted by GTSaiyanjin2 (6018 posts) -

RE3 is my favorite

#71 Edited by lamprey263 (35737 posts) -

Despite its dated controls, Resident Evil 4, followed by the detested Resident Evil 6, the first game in the series to get on board with proper dual analog controls. Resident Evil 5 was most of the way developed before the developers first heard the words "strafing" and "shooting while moving". They could easily implement left analog strafing and a fixed camera aiming (instead of wondering), but to add shooting while moving would mean they'd have to change the entire game's difficulty and scenarios to accommodate for more effective gameplay mechanics.

#72 Edited by elkoldo (1817 posts) -

RE 4 =3 > 2 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5,6.

#73 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@lamprey263

Thats always the case with games like this. If the baddies mainly attack by melee then you can't shoot and move simultaneously. Its only fair.

#74 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17371 posts) -

RE4. I don't care about it being a major departure for the series, it's a fucking phenomenal game.

I understand how annoying it can be when a series you enjoy turns into something completely unrecognizable, but when that departure entry ends up being one of the best damn games around I can't complain.

#75 Edited by lamprey263 (35737 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@lamprey263

Thats always the case with games like this. If the baddies mainly attack by melee then you can't shoot and move simultaneously. Its only fair.

that's why you throw numbers at the player, this is a zombie genre game after all

#76 Posted by 35cent (934 posts) -
  1. RE1 (gamecube)
  2. RE2
  3. RE4
  4. RE3: Nemesis
  5. RE: Code veronica
  6. RE1
  7. RE0
  8. RE5

I'm only listing the games I've completed so that's why Revelations and 6 aren't on the list.

#77 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@mariokart97:

1) Remake

2) RE 2

3) RE original

4) RE code Veronica

5) RE Nemesis

6) RE zero

The other 3 games in franchises , i dont even consider them as RE games , they dont deserve to be in my top list! lol

#78 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -
@delta3074 said:
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Deepblue

No it wasn't !

President Evil 4 was just as action heavy as President Evil 5.

Resident evil 4 had enough action to keep me happy but it was not as action heavy as 5, definitly not ,and i played and unlocked every Extra on both games.

Saying that, REmake was the last resident evil game that actually felt like a resident evil game, 4, 5 and 6 are great games in there own Right but they just ain't resident evil games in anything more than name and characters.

I cant agree more

#79 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14802 posts) -
  1. RE 4
  2. RE 3
  3. RE 2
#80 Posted by heguain (1416 posts) -

RE4, dat game was legendary.

#81 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@lamprey263

I never completely understood the "President Evil 5 doesn't even have proper zombies !!!" argument. "proper" zombies are slow and stupid, they probably deliberately messed up the controls and camera just to give them a fighting chance. Is nostalgia really that strong ?

#82 Posted by thehig1 (7013 posts) -

@Pffrbt: 4 is when Resident Evil stopped being Resident Evil. Its gameplay is closer to Gears.

#83 Posted by pelvist (7197 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

4 is when Resident Evil stopped being shit.

If Resident Evil was shit before 4 then there wouldnt have been a 4.

#84 Edited by Micropixel (1375 posts) -
  1. RE 4 Wii Edition (Best control scheme EVER)
  2. RE Code Veronica
  3. REmake
  4. RE 2
  5. RE Revelations

#85 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@pelvist

President Evil 4 is nothing like its predecessors, Studios don't just kill off franchises, they "repurpose" them.

#86 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@lamprey263

I never completely understood the "President Evil 5 doesn't even have proper zombies !!!" argument. "proper" zombies are slow and stupid, they probably deliberately messed up the controls and camera just to give them a fighting chance. Is nostalgia really that strong ?

Zombies are Zombies. In Re4 and beyond are not zombies. Period. You acting like the alienated monsters , transforming by will while doing some silly stuff like staring at you for too long arent stupid ! Oh wait , theres a merchant in the middle of nowhere selling me weapons ...!! I mean seriously ? Its the zombies that ruin it for you now ?

I think most of you newbies , havent played Resident evil 1 / 2 , Code Veronica , Remake etc ... on day 1 of their releases. All started for most of you with ... 4 !!

#87 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@AzatiS

Then stop playing the game on easy....

#88 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AzatiS

Then stop playing the game on easy....

I finished 4 and i was : wtf was that ?! Sci-fi shooter with zero survival elements let alone horror ? Why i said that ? Simply because i was huge RE fan since RE1 day 1 and what i was just finished ...wasnt a RE title. Was something entirely different. And i dont mean about its new way to shoot , move , interact. I mean about atmosphere , lore , gore , story ... It felt so OFF it was like playing entirely different genre.

If it wasnt for LEON and the shiny RESIDENT EVIL 4 letter on the box , it could easily have been a NEW IP dammit! ... Thats why i think RE4/5 etc could have been SIDE RE games not main series ones

So wth you talking about again ? I never play games on easy ! Never ever did with any game , you think i would with a RE game ?

And since when people need to play games on hard mode to have fun with or judge a game ? You and your ridiculous arguments again ... !

#89 Posted by pelvist (7197 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@pelvist

President Evil 4 is nothing like its predecessors, Studios don't just kill off franchises, they "repurpose" them.

Yes, we already established that it is nothing like the earlier games.

#90 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@AzatiS

Damn that was an overeaction.... Anyway I never bothered timing the delay on President Evil 4 but in 5 the close range enemies don't delay for longer than 3 seconds and the long ranger ones don't delay for longer than 6 seconds once they're loaded and lit. (cross bows and longbows) thats all on the easist difficulty, these delays get shorter and shorter on higher difficulties. Either way, much better than Zombies. Atleast they wield weapons.

#91 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@pelvist

I'm establishing why President Evil 4 exists despite its predecessors crappyness.

#92 Posted by pelvist (7197 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@pelvist

I'm establishing why President Evil 4 exists despite its predecessors crappyness.

And ill establish once again that if its predecessors where crap then there wouldnt have been so many of them.

#93 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@pelvist

Tell that to Bethesda and Square Enix.

#95 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AzatiS

Damn that was an overeaction.... Anyway I never bothered timing the delay on President Evil 4 but in 5 the close range enemies don't delay for longer than 3 seconds and the long ranger ones don't delay for longer than 6 seconds once they're loaded and lit. (cross bows and longbows) thats all on the easist difficulty, these delays get shorter and shorter on higher difficulties. Either way, much better than Zombies. Atleast they wield weapons.

You see ? Thats NOT RE ! For veterans that grew up with the series , loved them because of the survival/horror zombie like elements , atmosphere , viruses , lore and gore ... totally missed out in 4 and beyond. They felt totally different in every single element. Let alone those creatures...alien like sci-fi crap!

So , its not about controls , camers or graphics or ... whatever. Its about the franchise itself. Easily as many said before , RE4 / 5 etc could have been NEW horror IPs. Veeeery easily. They had nothing to do with RE in every single aspect. Story,lore , gore , genre .. you name it. If not NEW IP they could have been SIDE RE games ...Thats all.

#96 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@AzatiS

I never said it it was... I'm saying its better... ;)

Thats the problem with fanboyism... Honestly can't tell whats good from whats crappy.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#97 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9131 posts) -

The Resident Evil remake for Gamecube. Even though the controls are just meh, but it was scary and the graphics still hold up well today. I think I've replayed it more than any other in the series.

#98 Edited by Jag85 (12408 posts) -

@Micropixel said:
  1. RE 4 Wii Edition (Best control scheme EVER)
  2. RE Code Veronica
  3. REmake
  4. RE 2
  5. RE Revelations

Yes, the Wii Edition is still the definitive version of RE4 to this day. Its control scheme was arguably the best use of the Wiimote in a core game. And it still looks glorious on Dolphin with HD texture mods. In comparison, the "HD" updates were disappointing, lacking the depth-of-field and lighting effects of the GameCube and Wii versions, and of course the superior control scheme of the Wii Edition.

#99 Posted by mariokart97 (913 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AzatiS

You see ? Thats NOT RE ! For veterans that grew up with the series , loved them because of survival/horror zombie like elements ... totally missed out in 4 and beyond. Let alone those creatures...alien like

Honestly this thread was supposed to be about favorites, and you're making it about which games are true resident evil games.

Since you wanna go down that road, why is it that when I walk into another room, pressing left makes me move in a different direction than in the last room? Oh yeah because of fixed camera angles. Not trying to talk smack but you're claiming RE4 isn't a RE game and I completely disagree. That game was hard.

#100 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AzatiS

I never said it it was... I'm saying its better... ;)

Thats the problem with fanboyism... Honestly can't tell whats good from whats crappy.

Quote properly for starters.

Now for fanboyism , i agree 100%. You see what is bad/decent/good as the best there is. Especially for people that having zero experience of what they trying to compare.