Far Cry 6 enemy health bars: yay or nay?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

mrbojangles25  Online

Poll Far Cry 6 enemy health bars: yay or nay? (28 votes)

Yay! 14%
Nay! 39%
Abstain (indifferent) 46%

So Far Cry 6 came out and it's, well...it's a Far Cry game, that's for sure.

One thing that kind of bugs me is that they incorporated damage types with a weakness and resistance system, and enemies have health bars.

This, frankly, drives me batshit bonkers in my shooters. I hate it. Shooters should be a little more intuitive than that. Their should be strategy and common sense involved, it shouldn't boil down to a simple rock-paper-scissors formula of "if enemy A has resistance X, then use weapon 1. If enemy B has resistance Y, then use weapon 2...." and so on and so forth.

If an enemy has armor, then they should have a hard-to-hit weak spot, or you shoot them in the helmet or something until it falls off and get a headshot, or you just use a stronger weapon.

Conversely, if an enemy has no armor, they should be weak to all damage. They should not be resistant to anti-armor rounds simply because them not having armor suddenly is this advantage.

I really don't like it. I miss it when you shot at someone and they die or they don't, and you're like "Oh well better shoot him some more". I don't like chipping away at enemies until their health bars go from 100 to 50 to 10 then finally to 0.

What say you, System Wars?!

• 
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yeah, that mechanic works in a looter shooter, where you often face and kill many enemies at once, so the elemental rock-paper-scissors stops it becoming completely monotonous.

But Far Cry isn't a looter shooter - or at least, it isn't supposed to be. Is Ubisoft pulling another live service and microtransactions shenanigans again?

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Haven't gotten it I don't even think the games on steam EA is putting battlefield ohn steam why would i play on ubisoft store?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

It has no place in a game like this. RPG mechanics have no place in a FC game.

Btw the game blows so it doesn't really matter what's in it.😎

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I just ignore it most of the time tbh.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Haven’t picked up the game yet but I’m fine with health bars for enemies here. I vote “Yay!”.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Never was a fan of enemy health bars it hurts the immersion same with bullet sponge enemies FC started that crap in New Dawn.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58301 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

It has no place in a game like this. RPG mechanics have no place in a FC game.

Btw the game blows so it doesn't really matter what's in it.😎

Yeah it is the most unintuitive game I have played in this genre of late. I have to stop and constantly adjust my loadout, manage my resources, talk to people (ugh! in a shooter? GTFO) constantly, and worse.

There's just so much that get's in the way of blowing shit up.

Plus you sneak soooooooooo slowly it's really hard to take out enemies since there average patrol speed is only just slightly slower than your sneak speed. But I imagine they have gear you need to sneak faster instead *sigh*

@warmblur said:

Never was a fan of enemy health bars it hurts the immersion same with bullet sponge enemies FC started that crap in New Dawn.

Yeah which is a shame because I wanted to like New Dawn; cash-grab it might be, I was pretty interested in exploring the post-nuclear territory I've come to love in Far Cry 5.

Kind of sad the Far Cry series has been doing this slow, backwards slide into mediocrity over the years. Sort of peaked with Far Cry 3 then gotten worse over the years.

It's never been bad though, thats the thing; Far Cry 3, 4, 5 (plus Blood Dragon) were all fun games but Far Cry 6 just...meh

@madrocketeer said:

Yeah, that mechanic works in a looter shooter, where you often face and kill many enemies at once, so the elemental rock-paper-scissors stops it becoming completely monotonous.

But Far Cry isn't a looter shooter - or at least, it isn't supposed to be. Is Ubisoft pulling another live service and microtransactions shenanigans again?

Oh ya. Every time I boot it up you are greeted with an in-game "pop up" of what is available in the store for you haha.

And yes, it could be considered a looter shooter because you do have to equip various pieces of armor and clothing and they have gun perk slots on the guns--not just the basic muzzle/aim sight/etc upgrades, but also perks like "Oh this one helps you move faster while aiming" type of shit.

Ubisoft sucks. I might be done with them after this game. Settlers and Good and Evil 2 I will give them a chance (not that Ubisoft seems to care, they've been radio silent with those games for over a year now) when they come out but god damn Ubisoft is just legit careless of late.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hardwenzen

@mrbojangles25: Well, i am glad you're beginning to see how out of touch Ubisoft is. A year ago, i remember you quoting me a bunch, saying how unjustified my hate toward Ubisoft is.

But guess what? The game didn't score very well. Will not sell too well, but instead of going back to what worked, for FC7, they will double down on the BS. Just watch. This company is comical to say the least.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I hear people want cock fighting removed from the game... I mean sure, but if we do that, shouldn't they do the same with pokemon? Because that's just dog fighting for kids.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25  Online

@hardwenzen said:

@mrbojangles25: Well, i am glad you're beginning to see how out of touch Ubisoft is. A year ago, i remember you quoting me a bunch, saying how unjustified my hate toward Ubisoft is.

But guess what? The game didn't score very well. Will not sell too well, but instead of going back to what worked, for FC7, they will double down on the BS. Just watch. This company is comical to say the least.

Well that's the thing, I've always wanted to hate Ubisoft for years, but dammit it all, their games have been pretty fun. Anno 1800 is one of the best city-building games to have come out in years; the AC games, while getting long in the tooth, have been fun (I'd argue AC Odyssey is one of the best AC games in recent years), and even Far Cry 5 was a lot of fun.

But now with their recent games being relative shit, I am free to hate on not only their business practices, but their games as well haha.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
@lamprey263 said:

I hear people want cock fighting removed from the game... I mean sure, but if we do that, shouldn't they do the same with pokemon? Because that's just dog fighting for kids.

I mean I get it, but there are better battles for PETA to fight imo. No one* is going to play Far Cry and start a cockfighting club. I think it's especially hypocritical of Ubisoft to include it given their recent attempts to become "woke" but I suppose it just goes to show how pointless and meaningless corporate wokeness is. Not that I care, this is a dumb thing to protest.

*almost no one. I'm sure some farm kids here and there might haha.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hardwenzen
@mrbojangles25 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Well that's the thing, I've always wanted to hate Ubisoft for years, but dammit it all, their games have been pretty fun. Anno 1800 is one of the best city-building games to have come out in years; the AC games, while getting long in the tooth, have been fun (I'd argue AC Odyssey is one of the best AC games in recent years), and even Far Cry 5 was a lot of fun.

But now with their recent games being relative shit, I am free to hate on not only their business practices, but their games as well haha.

Anno is not the kind of games i would even expect from Ubisoft. If this is the kind of games they were pumping, there would be nothing to hate them for.

And its not just their recently released titles that have been shit, but just look at their announcements that get absolutely trashed on youtube and all the social media. Then there's AssCreed Infinite or whatever its called, going full live service. This dev is doing nothing else but chasing trends. Zero risk or originality. Expecting Beyond Good And Evil 2 to ever come out at this point is simply foolish.

Just you wait until they reboot SplinterCell🤦‍♂️"we heard our fans loud and clear", five minutes goes by, they unveil the first trailer, and it looks like CoD in third person with most weapons having a silencer attached to them, cuz you know, Sam is stealthy🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️They just don't get it. Completely lost developer.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Some resistances work in certain scenarios.

If your opponent is an armored vehicle of some kind, I can totally buy into the logic of having to use some kind of AV or Explosive weapon. But on humans at best I have to use AP weapons. Yes, I should be able to take down a robot with a pistol. If the world has robots as a common enemy, weapons manufacturers, especially military grade. Should be powerful enough to take down a robot with them. Recoil be damned.

In Rimworld with Combat Extended, a strategy game, there were generally 3 bullet types.

Hollow Point

Full Metal Jacket

Armor Piercing

Hollow Point did better with lightly armored opponents whie Armor piercing did better with heavily armored. You could also just ignore the system, and go with Full Metal Jacket.

This wasn't just some arbitary mechanic, but rather through intelligent balancing. Hollow Points had higher base damage but poor armor penetration, and that was it. While it was the opposite for AP.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Sounds awful. Didn't think they could do Far Cry even worse. Never doubt Ubisoft, I guess.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

Having watched ShillUP review, he is saying that there's a massive spam of helicopters every few minutes, which requires you to constantly swap to armor piercing bullets. This dev doesn't use their brain when they're designing something.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Oh god, I hate hud clutter.

I don't need audio feedback or HUD feedback when I'm shooting someone, I need visual feedback: the gun moving and the enemy reacting.

I hated the RPG direction that New Dawn took the series in.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@lamprey263 said:

I mean I get it, but there are better battles for PETA to fight imo. No one* is going to play Far Cry and start a cockfighting club. I think it's especially hypocritical of Ubisoft to include it given their recent attempts to become "woke" but I suppose it just goes to show how pointless and meaningless corporate wokeness is. Not that I care, this is a dumb thing to protest.

*almost no one. I'm sure some farm kids here and there might haha.

Considering the history of Sexual Assault going on at Ubisoft, and the corporation's history of trying to cover that stuff up (just like with Blizzard), I can see why they do it. As much as I disagree with it.

But that sexual assault is the reason I am not buying anything from Ubisoft anymore. Shame because Anno 1800 was superb and Mario XCOM 2 looks like an improvement to Mario XCOM, which was already damn solid.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

Doesn't sound too fun...

What difficulty are you playing on?

If/when I pick up FC6 (at a heavily discounted price) would playing it on the lowest difficulty cut down on that stuff?

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

What an absolutely terrible idea.

COD on Veteran difficulty is the blueprint for how FPS should be, And The Last of Us 2 on Survivor difficulty is the blueprint for how TPS gameplay should be.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I don’t mind the heath bars to be honest, I’m getting the head shots 90% of the time.

What annoys me is that I feel FC6 is easier than the previous games, the crocodile also gets in the way.

I’ve noticed some strange tearing as well, as noted by Digital Foundry.

Aside from that I’m really enjoying FC6.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Has this game been discounted to $20 yet?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25  Online

@my_user_name said:

Doesn't sound too fun...

What difficulty are you playing on?

If/when I pick up FC6 (at a heavily discounted price) would playing it on the lowest difficulty cut down on that stuff?

There's "regular" mode and an easier "story" mode.

@shadyacshuns said:

Has this game been discounted to $20 yet?

No but you can play it for 14.99 if you sub to Uplay....or Uconnect...or whatever they're calling their subscription service.

@Mozelleple112 said:

What an absolutely terrible idea.

COD on Veteran difficulty is the blueprint for how FPS should be, And The Last of Us 2 on Survivor difficulty is the blueprint for how TPS gameplay should be.

Dude I played that game on veteran for the first time not too long ago, and it was really fun. No ammo counter, you can only take a few hits, and I don't think there was a crosshair either so you had to aim down the sights for any semblance of accuracy. It was a great time, very immersive.

You need to try out the ArmA games though for ultimate realism though :D

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I have never tried Arma games before, but I did try the "at home version" which was Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising or something. Probably a decade ago when I was a PC gamer.

waaay too realistic and boring for me. I don't think I'd handle Arma. I don't want super realism, I just want enemies to die in 1-2 shots and for me to have a low health pool as well.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I didn't know they added this to Far Cry 6. I was already waiting for a massive sale because the game just didn't look great and Far Cry 5 sucked, so wasn't expecting much to begin with, but this makes it even worse; not a fan of tanky enemies in games just for the sake of it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I don't think it's needed in a far cry game but it doesn't bother me that much.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Um... it's there?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I didn't know they added this to Far Cry 6. I was already waiting for a massive sale because the game just didn't look great and Far Cry 5 sucked, so wasn't expecting much to begin with, but this makes it even worse; not a fan of tanky enemies in games just for the sake of it.

Be interested to know how this is doing in sales, if fatigue is finally setting in.

Prob not, can sell the same shit to gamers for eternity.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

By making their games RPGs they can increase grind aspects and increase the likelihood people will spend real world money on shi... microtransactions.

This was actually introduced in Far Cry New Dawn, which was my least liked Far Cry.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

By making their games RPGs they can increase grind aspects and increase the likelihood people will spend real world money on shi... microtransactions.

This was actually introduced in Far Cry New Dawn, which was my least liked Far Cry.

As long as people keep buying shit, they'll keep making shit. Want to make Far Cry and other Ubisoft products better? Stop buying their games for a few years. It's too bad the general population is unable to pull themselves away from the franchises they obsess over long enough to do that.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

One of the reasons i haven't bought an Ubisoft game in over a decade is the ridiculous amount of hud elements and 'quality of life' information.

Most devs trying to resuce unnecessary info/noise to the minimum in favour of a more immersive experience, and Ubisoft doing the opposite. Blinking items so you can't miss them, everything pointed in the map, etc. Ubisoft simply doesn't understand what makes exploration fun.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen

@PAL360 said:

One of the reasons i haven't bought an Ubisoft game in over a decade is the ridiculous amount of hud elements and 'quality of life' information.

Most devs trying to resuce unnecessary info/noise to the minimum in favour of a more immersive experience, and Ubisoft doing the opposite. Blinking items so you can't miss them, everything pointed in the map, etc. Ubisoft simply doesn't understand what makes exploration fun.

Absolutely this.

And from seeing this bs for so long, you can tell that people in charge of all the decisions are not gamers, and don't understand what makes a video game fun and exciting.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@eoten said:

As long as people keep buying shit, they'll keep making shit. Want to make Far Cry and other Ubisoft products better? Stop buying their games for a few years. It's too bad the general population is unable to pull themselves away from the franchises they obsess over long enough to do that.

The AAA industry is carving out big pieces of an increasingly smaller cake.

When before I had a lot of options purchasing from Activision (I could be buying Crash Bandicoot, stuff like Wolverine, Singularity), all I can buy from them today is COD.

All Activision makes is just a COD a year.

And Ubisoft isn't much different:

Wether it's called Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Crew, Far Cry or Assassin's Creed: it's all the same open world game.

These companies are making it easy to not buy from them.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
@PAL360 said:

Yeah it's the equivalent of playing on auto-pilot.

No need to search: stuff is blinking

No need to get info on your adversary: he has a really clear healthbar

No need to do any discovery: just open the pause menu and you'll see what you need to gather for the next upgrade.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
@R4gn4r0k said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I'd argue it's actually worse than New Dawn because at least New Dawn was like "Hey we are doing this, let's go"--you might not have liked it, but at least they put effort into it (I guess?)--but Far Cry 6 is really just kind of half-assing it with the health bars and stuff.

To me it feels like they took the worst parts of GR: Breakpoint (the loot and stats game) and the worst part of New Dawn (the health bars), said "Let's make it worse", and added it to Far Cry 6.

I haven't played FC6 enough to give it an honest appraisal yet (I think I'm maybe five hours in), but I just don't see myself really enjoying this game the way I've enjoyed essentially every Far Cry game prior.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd argue it's actually worse than New Dawn because at least New Dawn was like "Hey we are doing this, let's go"--you might not have liked it, but at least they put effort into it (I guess?)--but Far Cry 6 is really just kind of half-assing it with the health bars and stuff.

To me it feels like they took the worst parts of GR: Breakpoint (the loot and stats game) and the worst part of New Dawn (the health bars), said "Let's make it worse", and added it to Far Cry 6.

I haven't played FC6 enough to give it an honest appraisal yet (I think I'm maybe five hours in), but I just don't see myself really enjoying this game the way I've enjoyed essentially every Far Cry game prior.

Is there at least an option to turn them off in Far Cry 6?

I also find it kind of shady that this sort of stuff was never shown before in pre-release footage. The only people who showed it were all from outside of Ubisoft and only right before or after launch >:(

I also tend to turn off hit markers in games. I'd rather just get feedback in a different way than even more hud elements and I also don't tend to like hit sounds.

I mean there are perfect ways to do it without cluttering the HUD even more.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@eoten said:

The AAA industry is carving out big pieces of an increasingly smaller cake.

When before I had a lot of options purchasing from Activision (I could be buying Crash Bandicoot, stuff like Wolverine, Singularity), all I can buy from them today is COD.

All Activision makes is just a COD a year.

And Ubisoft isn't much different:

Wether it's called Ghost Recon Wildlands, The Crew, Far Cry or Assassin's Creed: it's all the same open world game.

These companies are making it easy to not buy from them.

Exactly. all ubisoft games are same. be it far cry, assassins creed, watch dogs or ghost recon.

Among AAA company, Bethesda is a King. they have so much variety.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

Exactly. all ubisoft games are same. be it far cry, assassins creed, watch dogs or ghost recon.

Among AAA company, Bethesda is a King. they have so much variety.

Can't believe I forgot Watch Dogs and Fenyx Rising: just slide them in with the rest of them.

Bethesda was doing really amazing up until recently: They created a ton of varying and unique first person games:

DOOM, Wolfenstein, Prey, Dishonored, Fallout 4....

They have slowed down but what they do output is still great: Doom Eternal, Deathloop, ...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online

Oh, and. And. Aaaaaaaaaaaand!!!!!

...they brought back the rapidly respawning enemies.

'member that? 'member from Far Cry 2?

I 'member.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hardwenzen

@mrbojangles25 said:

I 'member.

The reason i stopped playing FC2 in about 2-3h.

I hear its much more fun in FC6 with helicopters constantly spawning😆

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mrbojangles25  Online
@hardwenzen said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I 'member.

The reason i stopped playing FC2 in about 2-3h.

I hear its much more fun in FC6 with helicopters constantly spawning😆

OMFG right!!! The helicopters, I forgot about them!

It really is kind of funny how terrible it is.

*Oh and I forgot to mention, it's buggy as hell. Has crashed twice on me...nothing ever really crashes on me these days, like once in a blue moon.

Enemies do that weird clipping thing when they're in cars and moving around on obstacles. There's pretty bad texture pop-in.

Hit boxes seem off, and I'm saying that taking into account that my aim is bad, but even I can notice "Hmmm pretty sure that coyote should have died from the arrow in the head".

And just my opinion, but the gun handling is really, really bad. Guns just seem to wobble all over the place and the recoil changes your view too much.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#41 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Agree.

In a heavy stat based game, particularly where strategy is involves such as team synergy, it's in some cases a vital piece of information.

Playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC now, where stuff like health buffs, self-healing and what not are used, it directly ties into the players gameplay as it can easily go into a round-a-bout battle.

Just rando "bang bang" enemies were the only strategy is blasting them, or some Ubisoft shit where they put in phony grind RPG mechanics, only their to pad and frustrate the player?

Nay.