Far Cry 5 couldn't be more out of place, tonally.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

An article popped up today about Far cry and the gun debate.

They say, ""Far Cry 5" is full of imagery and dialogue that feel absurdly out of place in the modern United States."

It goes on...

The March for Our Lives protests were sparked by the February 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where a gunman killed 17 students and staff members with a legally purchased AR-15 assault-style rifle.

"There's no way the video game publisher Ubisoft could've known that its latest blockbuster game, "Far Cry 5," would arrive at such a contentious moment in the ongoing US debate over guns. The game comes out Tuesday, and it's hard to imagine a piece of media that's more tonally and thematically out of place."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/amidst-ongoing-gun-debate-march-163630208.html

I actually agree that thematically video games are a mess and that maybe it's becoming a tired trope to always be the guy behind the gun. That said, maybe my tastes are just changing and I don't want to tell people what to do or like.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

NRA TV should make a Far Cry 5 series /s

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Not more of this nonsense. Violent games don't cause violence. Gun ownership does. Lack of accessible mental health care does.

Asians, Europeans, Canadians, and Australians play just as many violent video games as Americans do, but they don't commit mass shootings.

Critics flopped the latest Bruce Willis movie too because it came out at an "insensitive" time. **** off. Movies and games are fiction. They have no impact on reality. People need to start focusing on the actual issues that cause violence rather than deflecting the blame to non-existent boogiemen. Trump (he's already blamed game devs for the Florida school shooting) could ban violent games in America and turn the country into a puritanical fascist state, and there would still be nuts shooting up schools because the root causes that enable this violence still won't have been addressed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69450 Posts

The mental health issues is grossly overstated.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

All this crying from SJW's over this game will just help boost its sales.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69450 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Strange I hear more crying from people like you than this mythical SJW. Funny isn't it.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UssjTrunks

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

SJWs aren't complaining about this. Conservative gun supporters are pushing it.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag

@UssjTrunks said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I guess you haven't read the Far Cry 5 thread on resetera or seen the Polygon review. They're crying because the game makes fun of both sides instead of only demonizing the right.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I'm actually surprised at how well Far Cry 5 has done on the social commentary. It's not really knocking conservatives, liberals, politics, gun ownership, etc. but I feel it portrays America quite well lol. Or an alternative America, at least. Kind of makes me want to move to Wyoming or Montana or some outdoorsy state.

Anyway, they've ("they" being SJW's, media, etc) have done stuff like this before. I believe Boondock Saints release was postponed due to 9/11, but not because of violence; they did not want to motivate people to vigilante justice against Muslims. They just did it in the guise of sensitivity to violent crime. The day after 9/11, the FCC banned like hundreds if not thousands of songs from being played on the radio.

@Pedro said:

No, it really isn't, I'd argue it is understated if anything, seeing as how there are millions of Americans that live their lives either depressed, suffering from anxiety, and so forth and do not even know it. What would be a bump in the road for someone not suffering from mental illness just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for someone with mental illness, causing them to spiral out of control. I honestly believe that annual mental health checkups (if not quarterly) should be mandatory for every child in school. Keep in mind this is not a fear-based response due to violent crimes, I've felt this way for a long time, think it is good for people to talk shit out with a counselor, psychologist, etc.

These things (panic attacks, anxiety, depression) can also just come out of no where for no reason. People don't just "snap" for no reason, they are usually sick and need help long before.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Ubisoft is frence i believe, i don't think they care about what America thinks or wants. Let alone care about a gun debate.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Are they saying it's out of place because the gratuitous violence is offensive given the recent tragedy? Is that why studios are removing blasters from Star wars posters?

I mean, this is a bit too far IMO. They'very been working on this game for years and what are they supposed to do, not release it? It's not video games fault, it's the horrible gun laws.

Anyhow, on the surface, the game seems to tie together rural conservative America's religious fanaticism and 2nd Amendment / militia fixation. I don't see how that is off the mark. If anything I'd of expected conservatives to take issue with the game.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:

NRA TV should make a Far Cry 5 series /s

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

The NRA and other conservative groups are very anti-video game. Far more than any liberal group.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

If anything I'd of expected conservatives to take issue with the game.

Oh they have. Did you miss the tirades in the early days of this game's awareness? People wouldn't shut up about how unfair the game was, how "anti-christian" it was (whaa?), and how it should have targeted terrorists instead of picking on Americans. The game's caused quite a stir with all groups are various times

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14893 Posts

What do you expect? The lead writer was from Bioshock Infinite, a game which actually said those fighting against oppression are just as bad as their oppressors and that they are made for eachother.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I guess you haven't read the Far Cry 5 thread on resetera or seen the Polygon review. They're crying because the game makes fun of both sides instead of only demonizing the right.

I haven't ever liked a Far Cry game, but that Polygon review made me want to buy this one just because of the reviewer's issues with the game.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#16 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Okay so 1 source is crying because of that, and all of the sudden everyone on the left agrees with Polygon. Nice job sherlock.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

Not more of this nonsense. Violent games don't cause violence. Gun ownership does. Lack of accessible mental health care does.

Asians, Europeans, Canadians, and Australians play just as many violent video games as Americans do, but they don't commit mass shootings.

Critics flopped the latest Bruce Willis movie too because it came out at an "insensitive" time. **** off. Movies and games are fiction. They have no impact on reality. People need to start focusing on the actual issues that cause violence rather than deflecting the blame to non-existent boogiemen. Trump (he's already blamed game devs for the Florida school shooting) could ban violent games in America and turn the country into a puritanical fascist state, and there would still be nuts shooting up schools because the root causes that enable this violence still won't have been addressed.

Gun ownership does not cause violence. I own multiple guns and have never been violent toward anyone with them as a big majority of guns haven't.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Meh, GTA can do it so why not Far Cry?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#19 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Yeah well Ubisoft are answering a demand - they're not creating a society or cultural movement (they wish they could, but they can't).

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NathanDrakeSwag

@needhealing said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Okay so 1 source is crying because of that, and all of the sudden everyone on the left agrees with Polygon. Nice job sherlock.

Resetera is basically a big gathering of SJW's and most of them hate it. You sound salty.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Diddies said:
@UssjTrunks said:

Gun ownership does not cause violence. I own multiple guns and have never been violent toward anyone with them as a big majority of guns haven't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

It's no coincidence that the US leads the developed world (by a country mile) in gun ownership per capita and homicide rate per capita. The easier you make it to obtain guns, the more bad people will own guns. It's common sense that the entire world has figured out (save for one country...). Another factor of course is the lack of accessible psychiatric care in the US. With healthcare being privatized, getting help for mental health issues isn't possible for every citizen. This leads to a lot of people falling through the cracks and becoming mass shooters (which easy access to guns enables).

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

This might be the first far cry game I buy.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23  Edited By Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@UssjTrunks: there are way more countries that have more gun violence. However, why are a lot of these mass shootings at gun free zones. If we banned guns only law abiding citizens would be punished. Also the amount of deaths in America that are killed by guns do not even come close to the amount of lives saved with guns each year.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

System Wars isn’t ready for this topic TC.

I’m with you on the guns and video games fatigue. There are so many things that a character can do in a video game besides shoot shit.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:
@Diddies said:
@UssjTrunks said:

It's no coincidence that the US leads the developed world (by a country mile) in gun ownership per capita and homicide rate per capita. The easier you make it to obtain guns, the more bad people will own guns. It's common sense that the entire world has figured out (save for one country...). Another factor of course is the lack of accessible psychiatric care in the US. With healthcare being privatized, getting help for mental health issues isn't possible for every citizen. This leads to a lot of people falling through the cracks and becoming mass shooters (which easy access to guns enables).

Murders spiked for a while in the U.K. after they banned guns. The tools used will change but human nature won't.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Must be an American thing. Usually is.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UssjTrunks

@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@Diddies said:
@UssjTrunks said:

Murders spiked for a while in the U.K. after they banned guns. The tools used will change but human nature won't.

Homicide rates per 100,000:

USA: 4.88

UK: 0.92

Canada: 1.68

Australia: 0.98

Japan: 0.31

Korea: 0.74

The US homicide rate isn't even close to the rest of the developed world (it's closer to Latin America). Banning guns brought homicide rates down to minuscule levels in all developed countries.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By topgunmv

@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@Diddies said:

The US homicide rate isn't even close to the rest of the developed world (it's closer to Latin America). Banning guns brought homicide rates down to minuscule levels in all developed countries.

Neat, now address what I said.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By UssjTrunks

@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:

I did. You just need to improve your reading comprehension.

Let's simplify things:

There are very few homicides in Europe, Asia, Canada, and Australia. There are a lot of homicides in the US. Clearly guns are superior at killing people. People have not found alternate ways of killing each other in Europe, Asia, Canada, and Australia.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By topgunmv

@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:

Let's simplify things:

There are very few homicides in Europe, Asia, Canada, and Australia. There are a lot of homicides in the US. Clearly guns are superior at killing people. People have not found alternate ways of killing each other in Europe, Asia, Canada, and Australia.

Funny you mention Australia, their homicide rates were actually sometimes higher than previous years after their "gun ban" too.

In other words your correlation that gun control = homicide control is false in both the examples of the U.K and Australia. You're also either purposefully or ignorantly comparing flat rates of different countries instead of the change in rate of the same countries both before and after bans.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Its just another game with guns in it.

They can't control the current events or change the subject matter of their game just because of whats been happening.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Pedro said:

What are you hinting at? Americans just like killing people IRL?

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

Woah there, that movie flopped itself.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#36 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@TheEroica: Why are you even bringing politics and SJW bullshit into the mix? It's a game and work of art. If you don't like it, don't play it. I love violent video games and shooters. I also don't own any guns and I am not a violent person. So, let's not get carried away with bullshit.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

The hypothetical sh*thole that Far Cry 5 is using to satirize modern America is precisely the state of alt-right in America.

I think mass shootings are tragic, it's a sensitive topic. But when the society has failed to fix it for how many years now, with increasing frequency of attacks, yes, I think just shoving the satire of it under the rug isn't going to achieve anything.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 UssjTrunks

@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:

Let's simplify things:

Funny you mention Australia, their homicide rates were actually sometimes higher than previous years after their "gun ban" too.

In other words your correlation that gun control = homicide control is false in both the examples of the U.K and Australia. You're also either purposefully or ignorantly comparing flat rates of different countries instead of the change in rate of the same countries both before and after bans.

Who cares if there was a spike in crime after the new legislation (and I'm not even sure there was as you haven't provided any stats)? People might resist a new change. But it clearly didn't take long to stabilize and all of those countries are world leaders in personal safety today, while the US is comparable to an active war zone.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By UssjTrunks

@BassMan said:

@TheEroica: Why are you even bringing politics and SJW bullshit into the mix? It's a game and work of art. If you don't like it, don't play it. I love violent video games and shooters. I also don't own any guns and I am not a violent person. So, let's not get carried away with bullshit.

Trump and the gun lobbies started pushing this agenda after the Florida school shooting. It didn't take long for everyone to jump on board. We're back to 80s/90s line of thinking that violent video games and movies cause violence. What a joke.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

America - The land of the dumb. Seriously, there are some who defend guns in this very thread saying they have nothing to do with the high rate of people being shot in america. Are you people really that ignorant or are you just epicly stupid? I'll go with stupid, it's the american way.

I like the guy saying gun ownership doesn't cause violence, and his proof is that he's got guns and has never killed anyone. Seriously. This isn't even dumb-level. This is retarded.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Some of the audio tapes are neat, deporting all canadians and building a big ice wall

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Lol ‘Murica, when willst thy learn?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Meanwhile over 4,000 people died in January 2018 in car accidents/drunk driving, where's the ***ing march for making cars illegal?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Litchie said:

America - The land of the dumb. Seriously, there are some who defend guns in this very thread saying they have nothing to do with the high rate of people being shot in america. Are you people really that ignorant or are you just epicly stupid? I'll go with stupid, it's the american way.

I like the guy saying gun ownership doesn't cause violence, and his proof is that he's got guns and has never killed anyone. Seriously. This isn't even dumb-level. This is retarded.

Most of them aren't dumb though, you just got accustomed to americans through media and then you compare them with your own culture, but american culture is a lot more different from other cultures (like european) than you would think.

It makes perfect sense for them gun ownership isn't related to gun violence, in the end it's still a human being that fires it.

Europeans don't expect so much responsibility from their citizens, but they are also less free in that regard. I can't go packin a pistol on a beach walk, or I have to become a cop.

and it's pretty much with a lot of stuff in other countries. I don't have to make sure I have an medical insurance, that's all taken care off, again less responsibility, but I do pay a ton more taxes, which means less freedom.

Everything comes with a price, and so does freedom. The usa is a democracy, so I'm sure they'll figure it out which way they're going to go with this.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
@TheEroica said:

I actually agree that thematically video games are a mess and that maybe it's becoming a tired trope to always be the guy behind the gun. That said, maybe my tastes are just changing and I don't want to tell people what to do or like.

First person shooters are a genre of game, a genre that simulates shooting... No different that paint balling, your goal isn't to kill anyone its a sport. Its why shooters especially multi-player shooters are held to a such a degree that its almost the face of pro gaming.

Also shooting is no different in my eyes than a RPG where you wield a sword or bow and arrow, different tools for different times that all were used for killing.

I see no reason to look down on it in any way, not implying that that is what you are doing but you know some people do.

I personally just see all games as a past time, like reading a book or watching a horror movie. Shooters and games with killing involved regardless of the genres or tools used to do so represent the same fantasy fulfilment that people who read murder books or watch slashers and horror movies. We as a specie are clearly for the most part fascinated and or entirely pre-occupied by mortality and everything that surrounds it from fearing death to the desire to kill... At one point or another we have all wanted to do harm to another person or maybe even have done.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UssjTrunks

@Ballroompirate said:

Meanwhile over 4,000 people died in January 2018 in car accidents/drunk driving, where's the ***ing march for making cars illegal?

To be fair, the state of public transit in North American cities is deplorable.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:
@topgunmv said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@Diddies said:
@UssjTrunks said:

If you check the gun homicide rate pre-gun control you will also find those nations typically didn't have high levels of gun violence anyway, Interesting side note with the exception of the USA most of those nations are culturally homogeneous. I'm of the opinion the UK has one of the better systems, whereby if you wish to pursue shooting as a hobby you have to demonstrate you have need of the firearm, suitable security arrangements and that you are fit to own said firearms, the UK is imo overly controlling on the types of firearms you can own, I.E blanket ban on all handguns (with the exception of human dispatch pistols.) but to my mind is the most sensible approach in vetting those who own firearms.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Gonna go and pick up my copy in a couple of hours, let the violence begin!

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:
@Ballroompirate said:

To be fair, the state of public transit in North American cities is deplorable.

If you dig deep(ish) you will come to the conclusion by drawing a direct line between guns and cars is that we should ban bad/horrible/evil/dumb/intolerable people.

Get rid of the shit people on this planet and a lot of the problems we face in the world will disappear over night.