fanboys be damned, I think we can all agree that EGM and 1UP are horrible...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
After the assisins creed scenerio (it recieved a 4.5 from one reviewer), I refuse to have anything to do with these guys. While I personally wouldn't have given it anything more than an 8, I found it to be great game. Even if its not your cup of tea (slightly boring and repetitive) theres no denying the quality in that title. Hell, I hated metriod prime, but I wouldn't dare call it a bad game, just not for me. Thus, I call for a ban on these two sources being mentioned in SW. Clearly, these guys are idiots opinions or not.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

Ironic because I have ridiculed EGM for years and them seeing AC for what it was added to their credibility to me.

Edit*

What problem do you have with 1UP?

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Assassins Creed blew. They were right to drop the hammer on it. They are no better or worse than any other gaming website or magazine that has a different opinion than you.

Except Gamepro and Play. They are pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I dislike them as well.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Riverwolf007

Assassins Creed blew. They were right to drop the hammer on it. They are no better or worse than any other gaming website or magazine that has a different opinion than you.

heretrix
Hey! don't pick on PLAY magazine, when everything gets a 9 or a 10 we all win. :lol:
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
Add Xplay to that list aswell .
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Riverwolf007
Hey! don't pick on PLAY magazine, when everything gets a 9 or a 10 we all win. :lol:

LOL. I can't believe how terrible that mag is..
jack_russel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jack_russel
Member since 2004 • 6544 Posts
This is pathetic. When ever somebody disagrees with you guys you say "they're not credible". Grow up. People have different opinions about different things, that doesn't mean they're not credible as a whole.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heretrix

This is pathetic. jack_russel

agreed.

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
I like EGM there harsh on alot of there reviews of high profile games. Gamepro on the other hand hands out 5/5 in almost every issue.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Riverwolf007
[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

What PLAY magazine brings to videogame journalism is really good paper.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 heretrix
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

Riverwolf007

What PLAY magazine brings to videogame journalism is really good paper.

I guess with all of the payoffs, they can afford it.
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9567 Posts
Assassins Creed is a repetetive game. It does not deserve a high score.
FreewayScruff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FreewayScruff
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts

I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...darkslider99

oh they did not, Im sure your exagerrating or stretching the truth. I find it hard to believe they would say anything along the lines of "smg would have been better if it were not on the wii"

hazuki87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 hazuki87
Member since 2004 • 2031 Posts
Say what you want about 1UP and EGM (though it'll be wrong....) but at least they dont base their reviews on advertisers requests and fire people for honesty like some websites.
Blackfriend8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blackfriend8
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts
i acutally agree with egm assassins creed is a really repetetive game and dosnt deserve more than a 6. u should be mad at all the other mags and websites because egm was the only one that got it right imo
ninjacat11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 ninjacat11
Member since 2004 • 5008 Posts
I find EGM to be a pretty credible source. My respect has gone up for them giving brutally honest reviews, even if it costs them publishers' support.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darkslider99

[QUOTE="darkslider99"]I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...FreewayScruff

oh they did not, Im sure your exagerrating or stretching the truth. I find it hard to believe they would say anything along the lines of "smg would have been better if it were not on the wii"

apparantlyI am :? I just looked for it and couldn't find it..I could've sworn it was 1up though :? Oh well... I retract my statement, now I need to find out what site did say that >.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
1up earned my respect during the whole Gerstmann scandal, and EGM is fine by me. I don't always agree with their scores, but they've proven to me that they're at least honest. I totally agree with EGM's AC score, by the way. Terrible AI, boring, repetitive, shallow combat, etc. It's pretty sweet to jump around on walls and such, but that only lasts for about ten minutes.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="darkslider99"]I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...FreewayScruff

they said "I hate this game....because It's making me enjoy my wii again" or something like that.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
They are indeed awful sites.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50676 Posts
I like their reviews a lot more than here, that's for sure. They at least have 3 people reviewing every game, which is how it should be done(EGM).
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
This is pathetic. When ever somebody disagrees with you guys you say "they're not credible". Grow up. People have different opinions about different things, that doesn't mean they're not credible as a whole.jack_russel
pathetic? reviewers have a responsability to give the whole story, not cry about how they got so frustrated they busted a controller on the floor. these developers put a ton of work into this game and quite frankly, deserve all the sales they can get. when some brain dead reviewer comes along and says the game is utter garbage, it better be so. obviously this is not the case with AC. like it or not some ppl buy games depending how they are reviewed and I can't help but think this game would have sold a few more copies had this idiot not given it such an undeserving score. that is why I have such a huge problem with this. like I stated above, I hated metroid prime, but at least I understood that the game wasn't for me and for what it was, the game was fantastic.
yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
I love them, they have character. And they have the best damn podcast on the internet. 1up show is also damn good.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...darkslider99

You can't be serious...:|

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Riverwolf007

[QUOTE="jack_russel"]This is pathetic. When ever somebody disagrees with you guys you say "they're not credible". Grow up. People have different opinions about different things, that doesn't mean they're not credible as a whole.ninjaxams
pathetic? reviewers have a responsability to give the whole story, not cry about how they got so frustrated they busted a controller on the floor. these developers put a ton of work into this game and quite frankly, deserve all the sales they can get. when some brain dead reviewer comes along and says the game is utter garbage, it better be so. obviously this is not the case with AC. like it or not some ppl buy games depending how they are reviewed and I can't help but think this game would have sold a few more copies had this idiot not given it such an undeserving score. that is why I have such a huge problem with this. like I stated above, I hated metroid prime, but at least I understood that the game wasn't for me and for what it was, the game was fantastic.

I don't know if you noticed it or not but the majority of the people here agree with EGMs harsh review for AC.

I liked it enough to finish it and all but come on it had five missions in the entire game and that's counting climbing the towers and sitting on a bench and evesdropping...SITTING ON A BENCH AS A MISSION OBJECTIVE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

Stellar production values and great platforming was not enough to make up for the blistering non-excitement of 2 mph horse rides and some of the worst AI I have ever seen.

limitless_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 limitless_rage
Member since 2006 • 134 Posts
I lost all respect for EGM when they reviewed Elder Scrolls 4 for ps3. They say that the game is better on 360 because, even though the ps3 version had better graphics and played the same as the 360 version and it included the knights of the nine expansion pack (which you had to pay extra for on the 360), there was more content available (although at the time, through download ONLY), and because of a rumored downloadable graphics update. Now by microsofts own admission only 40% of xb360 owners are online, that means that for 60% of the players out there the ps3 version is clearly better. Secondly, why did they talk about a rumor for the 360 in a ps3 review? Those guys are chumps and are biased. Might as well just read oxm. They have no crediblity as far as I am concerned.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
AC owns.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darkslider99

[QUOTE="darkslider99"]I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...Hexagon_777

You can't be serious...:|

I am. I can't find it though :? An above poster,shino, read it too. They might've changed it, nto sure,. but i'm positive i read it :? Anyone else remeber?
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

EGM... the place that gave all three Halo games the Platinum award? (consecutive 10's from all three reviewers)

Yeah, they blow. Their three-man review system is so broken and most of the reviews are basically like, "No no no, this game sucks, don't listen to him!" or "Dude what are you talking about, this game is amazing, 9.0!"

They aren't the worst game review source ever, though.... X-PLAY comes to mind...

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darkslider99

EGM... the place that gave all three Halo games the Platinum award? (consecutive 10's from all three reviewers)

Yeah, they blow. Their three-man review system is so broken and most of the reviews are basically like, "No no no, this game sucks, don't listen to him!" or "Dude what are you talking about, this game is amazing, 9.0!"

They aren't the worst game review source ever, though.... X-PLAY comes to mind...

princeofshapeir

a threeman review system is a good system. Never read EGM though, so they might not carry it out well.
Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts

After the assisins creed scenerio (it recieved a 4.5 from one reviewer), I refuse to have anything to do with these guys. While I personally wouldn't have given it anything more than an 8, I found it to be great game. Even if its not your cup of tea (slightly boring and repetitive) theres no denying the quality in that title. Hell, I hated metriod prime, but I wouldn't dare call it a bad game, just not for me. Thus, I call for a ban on these two sources being mentioned in SW. Clearly, these guys are idiots opinions or not.ninjaxams

They should be banned for giving their general opinions? Nice man, nice.

If you don't like their opinions, then simply ignore them. There's no right or wrong idea when it comes to reviewing a game. I thought Sonic Shuffle was a 7, while lots of reviewers egged the hell out of it. I should be banned for my perspective?

yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
[QUOTE="FreewayScruff"]

[QUOTE="darkslider99"]I've never considered 1up crediable anyways... they knocked SMG for being on the Wii...Shinobishyguy

they said "I hate this game....because It's making me enjoy my wii again" or something like that.

The guy was being sarcastic. :| Shane said he hated it because the Wii really hadn't offered him a great game since Metroid Prime 3 and he was used to it. So when SMG came along he wanted to still hate his Wii but couldn't because the game was so fantastic.
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts

princeofshapeir

A 3 man review system is the best thing you can have. See how the game appeals to different people. 3 guys = review, 1 guy = opinion. Even though as you said it goes back and forth like that it doesn't matter they all end up covering the ground that is needed.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

1up earned my respect during the whole Gerstmann scandal, and EGM is fine by me. I don't always agree with their scores, but they've proven to me that they're at least honest. I totally agree with EGM's AC score, by the way. Terrible AI, boring, repetitive, shallow combat, etc. It's pretty sweet to jump around on walls and such, but that only lasts for about ten minutes.SmashBrosLegend

I agree...I never cared one way or another about 1up. But now they took a stand like that it changed the way I will view their website from this point on.

Shadow_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shadow_op
Member since 2006 • 4566 Posts
EGM has 3 reviewers for a reason (-.-)
Shadow_op

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shadow_op
Member since 2006 • 4566 Posts

princeofshapeir

You obviously don't read well. Halo 3 got docked quite a bit and lost to The Orange Box for GOTM.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

1up and EGM and other gaming outlets supported the intregrity of reviews after the Jeff, Kane and Lynch revelations. When a reviewer gives their honest opinion and not let advertising money sway their views, that's when they are more likely to be credible. Just because you disagree with a review, doesn't mean the reviewer is a fanboy, it's just you. It is what it is. You don't like their reviews, go find one that makes you feel better and helps you sleep at night.

Madbhal402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 Madbhal402
Member since 2008 • 612 Posts

princeofshapeir

What are you talking about?

Halo 3 got a 10, 9.5,9.0 read the Magazine again its the October Issue.

P.S Obama Rules

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
[QUOTE="princeofshapeir"]

Madbhal402

What are you talking about?

Halo 3 got a 10, 9.5,9.0 read the Magazine again its the October Issue.

P.S Obama Rules

10, 10, 9.0 actually. On topic though, EGM is one of the better review sources out there. They give their good honest opinion on their games, even if publishers hate them for it.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
Whenever I read EGM reviews it seems the reviewers are arguing with each other.
JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

Add Xplay to that list aswell .Meu2k7

Still upset about Crysis getting the same score as Lost Odyssey?

:lol:

Get over it you haven't even seen the show. It's great and their reviews are OPINIONATED and might hurt some feelings but they are valid.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]Add Xplay to that list aswell .JiveT

Still upset about Crysis getting the same score as Lost Odyssey?

:lol:

Get over it you haven't even seen the show. It's great and their reviews are OPINIONATED and might hurt some feelings but they are valid.

No? It stems down to many, Ive played Crysis once through, its not that great, I couldnt give a damn about it.

Theyre crap, and thats the end of it.

BK-Sleeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#46 BK-Sleeper
Member since 2006 • 2686 Posts
IGN. The last mentionable thang in SW.