Fallout 76 now has a "Mostly Positive" rating.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

Bethesda has turned Fallout 76 around. Yes, that sounds unlikely, but it's true. With the Wastelanders update, which just released, the world of Fallout 76 has been transformed--and the community loves it, so much that even though the game was review bombed immediately following the update, the positive reviews have persisted to the point that the game has swung from "Mostly Negative" on Steam to "Mostly Positive". Most of the negative reviews, nauseatingly, came from players that had played the game for an hour or so. What this means is that the community has come out in full force, and has declared that Bethesda has saved the game.

Anyhoo. While Fallout may not be your cup of tea regardless, just know that FO76, since the Wastelanders update, is now much more a traditional Fallout game, complete with NPCs, dialogue options and checks, wackiness galore, a whole new main quest, and tons more. And in case you didn't know, the world on display is amazing. It's huge, highly detailed, highly varied in terms of geography and atmosphere, etc., and is just a joy to explore. So, I guess I've said enough. Again, the game has been turned around, and hopefully it only gets better from here.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-now-has-a-mostly-positive-rating-on-steam/

From the article:

"The Wastelanders update, which is essentially a huge expansion, has brought the West Virginian wasteland back to life, filling it with NPCs, competing factions and more quests, and that's in addition to all the quality of life improvements.

Fallout 76's detractors were ready and waiting when it first launched on Steam, bombarding it with negative reviews. These came from players who'd only put in an hour into the Steam version, and sometimes less [...]

Elsewhere, however, the community was more positive. The Fallout 76 subreddit was particularly complimentary when it came to the update, and it didn't take very long for those fans to start adding their reviews to the pile. The rating started off as 'Mostly Negative,' but it was quickly bumped up to 'Mixed.' And now, only a few days later, it's sitting at more than 70 percent positive."

The media is largely liking it, too, which is great to see. Other positive articles, acknowledging the hard work the devs have put in:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/16/21224060/fallout-76-wastelanders-fan-reaction-welcoming-community

"Wastelanders is a big reward to the core fans who stuck around through thick and thin. Many of those fans have felt attacked, but it looks like the launch of the new expansion has inspired them to kill ‘em with kindness."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-17-for-the-first-time-im-having-fun-with-fallout-76

"I stuck with Fallout 76 for a month or so after it came out, then dropped off pretty hard. So I dusted off my existing character and entered the post-apocalypse expecting the most significant of refreshes - a relaunch of Fallout 76, really. And to Bethesda's credit, Wastelanders is it.

Fallout 76 is actually a game I want to play now, which is something I never thought I'd say after reviewing the thing back in November 2018. Even on the tech side of things the game is much better than it was."

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/14/21219015/fallout-76-wastelanders-update-improvements-companions-dialogue-mmo

"I was someone who rage-quit Fallout 76 after sticking with it for months. I was ready for the game to burn me again this time, too. But Wastelanders won me over. [...] — this is a confident, strongly executed new path that allows Fallout 76 to be a well-supported online game rather than a series of floundering experiments."

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/04/fallout_76_community_reacts_very_positively_to_wastelanders_update

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-humans-of-wastelanders-bring-some-much-needed-soul-to-fallout-76/

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
R4gn4r0k

34073

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 34073 Posts

Yeah I've been following this, it was negative when it first hit steam.

I wonder if Wastelanders is the size of say Fallout 4 campaign in scope, or if it is way smaller?

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah I've been following this, it was negative when it first hit steam.

I wonder if Wastelanders is the size of say Fallout 4 campaign in scope, or if it is way smaller?

I have yet to hit the new main quest, as I've restarted a fresh new character. From what I hear it is pretty extensive, involving a kind of civil war between factions. Wastelanders introduces raiders and settlers, among a bunch of other things. The old main quest has been reworked, on top of this, to include NPCs and such.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

39749

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 39749 Posts

People are acting like Fallout 76 was where it started being bad.

Fallout was bad the moment Bethesda touched it, with New Vegas (which Gamepot claimed was inferior lol) being the only glimmer of light shimmering through a wide, but shallow puddle of urine.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

People are acting like Fallout 76 was where it started being bad.

Fallout was bad the moment Bethesda touched it, with New Vegas (which Gamepot claimed was inferior lol) being the only glimmer of light shimmering through a wide, but shallow puddle of urine.

Dude, no. Just no.

(let me guess, you haven't played Wastelanders, let alone vanilla 76)

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

39749

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 39749 Posts

@subspecies said:
@uninspiredcup said:

People are acting like Fallout 76 was where it started being bad.

Fallout was bad the moment Bethesda touched it, with New Vegas (which Gamepot claimed was inferior lol) being the only glimmer of light shimmering through a wide, but shallow puddle of urine.

Dude, no. Just no.

Girl. Yes, just yes?

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@subspecies said:
@uninspiredcup said:

People are acting like Fallout 76 was where it started being bad.

Fallout was bad the moment Bethesda touched it, with New Vegas (which Gamepot claimed was inferior lol) being the only glimmer of light shimmering through a wide, but shallow puddle of urine.

Dude, no. Just no.

Girl. Yes, just yes?

No, just no. Dude.

(and you still haven't played the game)

Avatar image for johnd13
johnd13

10138

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10138 Posts

It's good that the community is enjoying the game. I'm still not interested enough to buy Fallout 76, maybe on a sale.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

13897

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#9 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13897 Posts

I Avoided the game at launch and for good reason. I actually went ahead and bought the game and finding it fun so far. Still need to play more, but it seems encouraging.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

I Avoided the game at launch and for good reason. I actually went ahead and bought the game and finding it fun so far. Still need to play more, but it seems encouraging.

Yeah, it can take a little while to get into the 'groove'. Once you start creeping into the deeper areas you'll lose yourself, guaranteed. Some of the environments are just so atmospheric, and downright creepy. Best in the series in that respect.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@johnd13 said:

It's good that the community is enjoying the game. I'm still not interested enough to buy Fallout 76, maybe on a sale.

Fair enough!

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

9891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9891 Posts

@subspecies: He’s 100% right. Fallout done by Bethesda has always been utter garbage. NV is saved by the writing and factions.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@subspecies: He’s 100% right. Fallout done by Bethesda has always been utter garbage. NV is saved by the writing and factions.

Yeah, the huge community of fans feels exactly the same, right?

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

Right?

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

9891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#14 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9891 Posts
@subspecies said:

Yeah, the huge community of fans feels exactly the same, right?

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

Right?

Nice appeal to popularity. Changes nothing to what we said. The community is free to like garbage. Nothing illegal with that.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@subspecies said:

Yeah, the huge community of fans feels exactly the same, right?

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

,

Right?

Nice appeal to popularity. Changes nothing to what we said. The community is free to like garbage. Nothing illegal with that.

"blah blah blah I hate it when people have fun blah blah blah"

Get over yourself, dude.

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

9891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9891 Posts
@subspecies said:

"blah blah blah I hate it when people have fun blah blah blah"

Get over yourself, dude.

I don't hate it when people have fun. I'm saying it's fine people like garbage, if anything, I'm doing the opposite of what you're claiming. Just agreeing with cup the game is indeed a pile of trash and has been since Bethesda took over with only NV being good because it played on the strength of RPG's and was not done by Bethesda.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#17 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@subspecies said:

"blah blah blah I hate it when people have fun blah blah blah"

Get over yourself, dude.

I don't hate it when people have fun. I'm saying it's fine people like garbage, if anything, I'm doing the opposite of what you're claiming. Just agreeing with cup the game is indeed a pile of trash and has been since Bethesda took over with only NV being good because it played on the strength of RPG's and was not done by Bethesda.

People having fun eats you up inside. Now write me a long essay as to why you think that's not the case.

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

9891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9891 Posts
@subspecies said:

People having fun eats you up inside. Now write me a long essay as to why you think that's not the case.

No and your manchildren behavior of plugging your ears is pretty hilarious. Though I can't say I'm surprised since your ilk plays Fallout 76 lol.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

30662

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30662 Posts

Shame that it didn’t release like this right from the start. I very much enjoyed Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 so I was pretty interested in this when it was first announced. However it’s launch kind of soured me on it and nowadays I just have too many other games vying for my time and money so it’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever get around to the game now.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@subspecies said:

People having fun eats you up inside. Now write me a long essay as to why you think that's not the case.

No and your manchildren behavior of plugging your ears is pretty hilarious. Though I can't say I'm surprised since your ilk plays Fallout 76 lol.

Yes.

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#21 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

Shame that it didn’t release like this right from the start. I very much enjoyed Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 so I was pretty interested in this when it was first announced. However it’s launch kind of soured me on it and nowadays I just have too many other games vying for my time and money so it’s highly unlikely that I’ll ever get around to the game now.

Fair enough. If you do ever get around to it, just know that it's much more a traditional Fallout experience now. I expect Bethesda to continue on this route with the game, as the community clearly appreciates it.

And I feel you on having other things to play. My list of current games at this point is absurd. It's really hard these days to stick to one game at a time.

Avatar image for Planeforger
Planeforger

18333

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18333 Posts

I'm guessing it has a positive rating on Steam because the only people buying it are hardcore fans.

Everyone else either steered clear years ago, or got burned and won't buy it again.

Also, screw Bethesda. If they never bought the Fallout franchise, Kickstarter would have led to an excellent revival of the series a few years later (and not garbage like Fallout 3).

Avatar image for briguyb13
briguyb13

4048

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#23 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4048 Posts

At first I thought you were a Charizard alt, but then someone said you were that chic that obsesses with Sony and Bethesda.

That got me to thinking about why some folks focus on certain brands so heavily. On Gamefaqs there's this poster who only thinks and talks about Sony and Atlus, and some dude on this forum only talks about PC and Valve/Steam.

Wonder why they do that?

Avatar image for i_p_daily
I_P_Daily

16783

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#24 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 16783 Posts

It also has a "mostly no one give a shit about this game" rating :)

Avatar image for subspecies
Subspecies

2370

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#25 Subspecies
Member since 2018 • 2370 Posts

@briguyb13: Oh, trust me, I'm obsessed with Atlus too.

Avatar image for zaryia
Zaryia

12615

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 12615 Posts

it's not as bad as before but still has a long way to go. The big patch didn't add some of the most important features such as legendary levels and the huge balance patch they have had planned since 2018 (there's like only 2 good weapons and 2 good builds).

Shit game overall.

Avatar image for Vaasman
Vaasman

14400

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#27 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 14400 Posts

Not in the business of rewarding folks who launch shit and only get it to the status of functional mediocrity 2 years later.

Still not touching this.

Avatar image for djoffer
djoffer

1856

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#28 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Bethesda haven’t made a good game in years, not sure why a patch that brings a two year old game from dog shit to acceptable is something that deserves so much praise from pcgamer... one could almost think that they were payed to write it!!

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

1663

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 1663 Posts

This is the new standard. You release a game in a broken state with no content, take a year or so to fix/add what was supposed to be present at launch, and a bunch of review sites praise your work. Destiny 1 had the same thing. Destiny 2 the same thing. Now its F76, and the next one will most likely be Anthem. F76 was a 4/10 at launch, and is a 4/10 now.

Avatar image for Juub1990
Juub1990

9891

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9891 Posts
@Vaasman said:

Not in the business of rewarding folks who launch shit and only get it to the status of functional mediocrity 2 years later.

Still not touching this.

Seriously, this game should be dead and buried and everyone who purchased that pile of trash should have gotten a refund...or not because you had to be a dumb motherfucker to buy it in the first place.