Fallout 4 or MGS V - which is a bigger disappointment?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Posted by SolidGame_basic (24468 posts) 3 years, 12 days ago

Poll: Fallout 4 or MGS V - which is a bigger disappointment? (39 votes)

Fallout 4 69%
MGS V 31%

I think Fallout 4. Just wasn't as interesting as the last one, although I appreciated the more FPS like gameplay. I also thought the whole building your base thing was dumb. I felt MGS V was a let down too, but at least the gameplay was really good. It was just missing story and that crazy Kojima humor and boss fights that we all loved. Hard to choose, but Fallout 4 was a bigger disappointment for me. What about you, SW?

#1 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -

I haven't played MGS5 yet so i can't tell. But i have played Fallout 4 for about 250h and enjoyed my time with it. Disappointing? Yes, very. But still fun, especially with mods.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#2 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12947 posts) -

I would say Fallout 4 but it could be a lot better with mods. As a PS4 owner I wouldn't know though.

#3 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

Neither. I love both

#4 Posted by aigis (7354 posts) -

I like both of them though....

#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (9625 posts) -

I had no expectations for MGS V and thought it sucked. I had middling expectations for Fallout 4 and it was ok.

So, neither were disappointments I guess but I enjoyed FO4 more than MGS V

#6 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

I understand the disappointment surrounding Fallout 4. Bethesda has made major steps forward with every open world game they have made. With FO4, they sort of stopped doing that.

I will never understand the disappointment for MGSV. Even with its flaws, it is easily one of, if not the best game this generation.

#7 Posted by freedomfreak (51271 posts) -

MGSV.

Fallout 4 looked like garbage to begin with.

#8 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25509 posts) -

I knew Fallout 4 was going to be crap, so that was expected, but what kind of disappointed me is the gameplay mods that have come out. There really hasn't been any gameplay mods that make me want to go back and play it. They have all been kinda lame. Perhaps the world was just so boring, that I was completely done after 40 hours.

I may grab some mods here and give it a go, since I haven't played it since release. But man, that game really kind of sucked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
#9 Posted by deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95 (2103 posts) -

Both were fun for a while, but lost their appeal as time wore on.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13703 posts) -

Metal Gear, because we knew what was going to happen when Fallout is being made by Bethesda.

#11 Posted by yanni1 (1067 posts) -

mgsv imo. While the gameplay was great, the story for me was a huge letdown as a mgs fan.

Lack of cutscenes, removal of codec calls & redundant main missions. Half of the main missions in the game are absolutely inconsequential to the main story too. Go retrieve (x) , go extract (x) person, kill (x) person for a contract... Most of these were irrelevant to the overarching story line.

The worst part is that the game wasn't even finished.

#12 Edited by mark1974 (4261 posts) -

Where is the option for I loved them both and they are my biggest arguments for why this generation has awesome games? I don't care about the story in MGSV or if it was unfinished, I was super impressed with the game play. Shove your typical metal gear solid cutscenes and lame B movie story telling up your arse. The actual "game" is a thing of beauty and the silly "story" serves it's purpose. Fallout 4 was awesome and the settlement building was like crack for someone like me. Different strokes for different folks you haters!

#13 Posted by CanYouDiglt (8232 posts) -

Never played MGS but Fallout 4 is amazing.

#14 Posted by navyguy21 (15260 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I would say Fallout 4 but it could be a lot better with mods. As a PS4 owner I wouldn't know though.

Ok, im convinced someone murdered the real NathanDrakeSwag and stole his account.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
#15 Posted by slimdogmilionar (1107 posts) -

wtf! Both of those were really good games. I've been playing both MG and Fallout of lately.

#16 Posted by navyguy21 (15260 posts) -

Id have to say Fallout 4.

Fallout 3 had so many great locations that had stories of their own that i actually wanted to take the time to explore the world.

With Fallout 4, the world felt.........sterile.

Like i never feared for raiders while exploring, never came across random NPCs that needed help.......which ultimately led me to an undiscovered location.

Fallout 4 is to Fallout 3 what Saints Row 1 is to GTA

#17 Posted by mark1974 (4261 posts) -

@slimdogmilionar said:

wtf! Both of those were really good games. I've been playing both MG and Fallout of lately.

You need to get the memo. All games this gen suck! It's the cool thing to think these days. You don't want to be left out of the cool kid hate train clique do you?

#18 Posted by jg4xchamp (61800 posts) -

I guess MGSV because I don't give a damn about fallout4 by Bethesda, but even then it's a game that plays really well. Outside of Bayonetta 2 no other triple A product plays as well as that game this gen.

The outpost designs are ace and the mechanics are divine, if the game had a bit more focus and actually cut out some of its bullshit it would be a pretty legendary gameplay experience. As it stands I still have an absolute blast with it.

Which is something I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say about a modern Bethesda game.

#19 Edited by Jak42 (1093 posts) -

Well anyone who thought Fallout 4 was going to be a polished masterpiece with an amazing story and ground breaking gameplay. Was kidding themselves. Bethesda has long had very low quality standards. And Todd Howard hires his friends who suck at game developement to important developer positions. Among other mishaps common at Bethesda; which are not the result of a lack of money. Still, I may likely give it a go as Bethesda can make an interesting world to explore. But that's about all they're good for.

MGSV while the story and parts of the game were unfinished. And that it really went too far with the grind unlike Peace Walker. Was still a very fun game to play. Which I sunk 150+ hours in the single player alone. But I would have either taken forever, or never completely finish the game if I was not unemployed.

#20 Posted by PSP107 (17524 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: "I will never understand the disappointment for MGSV. Even with its flaws, it is easily one of, if not the best game this generation."

Agreed but I'd argue it's a PS3 game.

#21 Posted by MirkoS77 (14470 posts) -

I've never played Fallout 4.

So....Fallout 4. Ignorant choices, yay!

#22 Posted by Randoggy (3487 posts) -

Easy, Fallout 4.

#23 Posted by JangoWuzHere (19032 posts) -

@PSP107 said:

@JangoWuzHere: "I will never understand the disappointment for MGSV. Even with its flaws, it is easily one of, if not the best game this generation."

Agreed but I'd argue it's a PS3 game.

Sure, it's on last generation consoles, but that really doesn't matter. The game design and gameflow is modern and far more interesting then most other games this gen.

#24 Posted by PSP107 (17524 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere:

Agreed. The gameplay is unmatched. I mean the different ways you can approach missions kind of makes up for its lack of variety in the missions.

#25 Posted by MonsieurX (39192 posts) -

Fallout 4

#26 Edited by robokill (1392 posts) -

Fallout by a hair. They both sucked. Both are repetitive and bland.

#27 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (7805 posts) -

FO4 by far.

#28 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10553 posts) -

MGS5 is a game that is only great for first few hours then become extremely boring and repetetive doing same thing over and over again.

#29 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14961 posts) -

MGS V. Wasn't excited for Fallout 4 and expected it to be another Bathesda game that will be unpolished on launch and then become better later on. I'm also more interested in their other IP, The Elder Scrolls more. TES 6 will be big disappointment if it sucks. Right now I'll go with MGS V.

#30 Posted by Lucianu (10347 posts) -

Fallout 4 is remarkable, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's a fun open-world to play in, you get rewarded at every turn you explore. But, it's also home to one of the worst narratives I've ever seen. The plot makes no sense, the writing is abysmal, the dialogue is mind-blowingly limited and badly design in such a way that it doesn't convey anything concise. It's a meaningless, shallow piece of fun software that will 'age' like shit because there's nothing there to stimulate the mind. All Fallout 4 will be remembered by is being the worst Fallout title in the main series.

And that's by video game standard; not by any standard. I'm only comparing this with other examples of narrative from video games. So don't excuse this just because it's a video game, there's a lot of great writing in this medium.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#31 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5747 posts) -

Don't know about MGS V, but Fallout 4 is amazing. I'm loving it.

#32 Posted by pelvist (7450 posts) -

Fallout 4 since I haven't enjoyed an MGS game since the first one on PSX.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
#33 Posted by deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6 (2638 posts) -

@ghosts4ever said:

MGS5 is a game that is only great for first few hours then become extremely boring and repetetive doing same thing over and over again.

Yeah maybe you should start to question your playstyle...maybe that is repetetive.

#34 Posted by Crypt_mx (4739 posts) -

@undefined: neither. Bth are good games I enjoyed very much. MGSV may not have the story to back it up, but it has the best gameplay in any metal gear. Fallout 4 wasn't as unique and memorable as 3 but it's still a great game loaded with content. Neither disappointed me.

#35 Posted by xdude85 (6398 posts) -

Both are good games.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
#36 Edited by deactivated-594be627b82ba (8405 posts) -

Well I don't like the fallout franchise so I can't talk much about it. Mgs V is an oddball for me. No matter how repetitive the game was, I still manage to crank in 200+ hours in it. I usually never touch a game after I platinum it, yet I kept coming back to the game almost everyday after. Even to this day I don't understand how I did it.

#37 Posted by PSP107 (17524 posts) -

@da_illest101: "I usually never touch a game after I platinum it"

You platinum it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
#38 Posted by deactivated-5a8875b6c648f (954 posts) -

Enjoyed the hell out of both.

#39 Posted by Mozelleple112 (7014 posts) -

I don't know.. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is one of the best games of all time, and it wasn't even finished. Could have been 12/10, but disappointing story and irrelevant missions pull it down to mere 10/10 status.

#40 Posted by UnrealGunner (1071 posts) -

MGSV was terrible I couldn't play for more than 10 hours. At least Fallout 4 was good for about 40 hours.

#41 Posted by heguain (1416 posts) -

I love both, I like Fallout 4 more.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
#42 Posted by Midnightshade29 (6000 posts) -

Here's the thing. Games mean different things to different people. For instance. I loved fallout 4's base building / settlements. That shit was fun, it just needed more of it. Yet everywhere on forums, I see fps junkies complaining how that takes too much time out of killing shit. "What I have to use my brain and I have to explore?" Same people usually hate stealth, loot collecting and exploring, while I love it. It's also why games with loot, building or simulation double or triple the play time for me. When I see others complaing about beating a game like that in 15 hours, I know it will be 80+ for myself. Thats the beauty of fallout (or any game with good loot, exploration, and building) , you can play it how you want. You are not forced to do the base building.

As for MGS5... I loved the open world, and put 20 some hours in, but there seemed like there was no story. I hope it gets better later but it felt very bare-bones story wise compared to every single other MGS game. Only the intro seemed to have story. MGS2, 3 and 4 were so cool due to the story elements, cut-scenes, and lengthy radio chatter. A lot of that is missing now. I feel like it's just a western style black ops sim.

Avatar image for the_master_race
#43 Posted by the_master_race (4623 posts) -

Both

#44 Posted by cainetao11 (36844 posts) -

PS Pro