[Failure Fridays] Remember the Milo Kinect demo from Peter Molyneaux?

#1 Edited by WhatAFailure (424 posts) -

This played at E3 2009 and was supposed to be for the Kinect (called Project Natal at the time). Peter Molyneaux promised A.I. interaction and voice recognition on a level we've never seen before.

Peter talks a lot in dreamy circles and promises you kingdoms and then doesn't do it. But to his credit there was actual gameplay snippets shown during a TED Talk the following year.

In an interview with Eurogamer after the press conference, Molyneux confirmed that the demonstration was of the previously-known "Dimitri," and would be a game developed around Kinect, titled Milo and Kate. In the game, players would interact with a 10-year-old child (Milo or Millie, selected at the start) and a dog named Kate, playing through a story. According to Molyneux, work on the Kinect-specific elements started in December 2008.[2] The game would also feature an in-game store, for purchasing items to enhance gameplay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Milo

The game still didn't take off. Microsoft did not want to back it anymore because they could not see it having potential as a full game. Milo was cancelled. Peter moved on to other Fable projects. Kinect would have its run and then die just like Milo.

Perfectly balanced.

#3 Posted by Basinboy (13926 posts) -

My nightmares won’t allow me to forget

#4 Posted by Chutebox (44743 posts) -

Gotta show the girl tickling the tiger or whatever it was

#5 Posted by Daredevils2k (2117 posts) -

wow I remember the first time I saw Milo I was shocked, that it made me felt proud that I owning a 360 was the best thing. Grrrr I miss the days when MS was pushing innovations to its limits, now they just create the most powerful paper weight, i mean console with no exclusive games pushing the hardware.

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (28511 posts) -

Yeah I remember that. I thought that it was pretty cool thinking about it’s possibilities but unfortunately it just never panned out for whatever reason. Oh well.

#7 Posted by getyeryayasout (12489 posts) -

I was so full of hope for what I thought the Kinect would do. So young. So naive.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#8 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1689 posts) -

Yeah, Kinect and PS Move are both failures since they have poor library of games.

#9 Posted by onesiphorus (2942 posts) -

It is just hard to believe that it has been a decade since this failure.

#10 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@daredevils2k: Yup...because having games available on other consoles or PC means people can't use them on their own consoles....

#11 Posted by Heirren (2322 posts) -

Never pictured Peter Molyneoux as a dead beat dad lol.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#12 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4996 posts) -

This shit wasn't even real. This was Molyneux helping Microsoft lie to sell Kinect and he took all the heat for it. Anything Kinect-related they were actually working on ended up in Fable: The Journey. Milo was too ambitious for what the Kinect could even handle. Molyneux came out and admitted that later.

#13 Posted by Heirren (2322 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin:

Agreed. But how funny would it be if Microsoft brought Milo back as a character in Gears 6 or Halo.

500 million dollars on that thing. Poor marketing department. Theyre pitch to gamers, for 500 mil, was that Kinect will let you play with a young boy. Amazing. Lol.

#14 Posted by Zaryia (9649 posts) -

Kinda creepy tbh.

#15 Posted by Pedro (35601 posts) -

Lol at anyone for feeling proud for owning a device based on a demo. Talk about being a loser.?

#16 Posted by Heirren (2322 posts) -

@Pedro:

F those people who bought a light bulb!

#17 Posted by AcidTango (1701 posts) -

Man I forgot how cringey that video was.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
#18 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (4131 posts) -

Damn I remember at the time thinking how incredible next gen AI could be having natural conversations, but nope instead we ended up with X Doubt and press F to pay respects

#19 Edited by pelvist (7445 posts) -

I remember something similar (a virtual pet) on Dreamcast called Seaman, i dont think it released in the UK though a lot of people on the Dreamcast version of Q3A on SegaNet US servers were saying they got it free with the machine. I remembered it in an edition of SEGA magazine before the DC released.

#20 Edited by Ten_Pints (3902 posts) -

Some people managed to get their hands on that demo and got it running on a retail unit. Apparently it did sort of run but what the Kinect ended up being made it unplayable, not to mention the original dev Kinect processed everything internally where as the retail used the CPU which tanked the frame rate. Also obviously everything is scripted none the interaction stuff was real.

In this instance it wasn't peter that fucked up, it was Microsoft because they lied to everyone about their hardware.

#21 Posted by ProtossRushX (5693 posts) -

I woulda been so pissed if I bought an xbox one with kinect thinking it would get a ton of content an stuff

#22 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

One of the biggest lol worthy moments ever,how MS played lemmings for fools.

After that we saw the whole starwars make out crap that was even more lol worthy.

#23 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@daredevils2k: Yup...because having games available on other consoles or PC means people can't use them on their own consoles....

NO but it make it redundant.

PC has no online fee and has its own exclusives you can't get on xbox so what seem like the best choice?

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Yeah, Kinect and PS Move are both failures since they have poor library of games.

Who is talking about move? Some one felt innsecure.lol

#24 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@tormentos: Your reading skills are lacking again. If I have over 1800 games to play on xbox, why should I care if THOSE games are available elsewhere?

#25 Posted by Juub1990 (8716 posts) -

@tormentos: That was Molyneux, not Microsoft. It’s not the first time he did that either.

#26 Posted by tormentos (29239 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@tormentos: Your reading skills are lacking again. If I have over 1800 games to play on xbox, why should I care if THOSE games are available elsewhere?

I don't lack reading skills you people are a joke.

now they just create the most powerful paper weight, i mean console with no exclusive games pushing the hardware.

This is the part you were addressing with your comment.

Yup...because having games available on other consoles or PC means people can't use them on their own consoles....

This is your reply,since you want to hold to lacking reading skills,where did he claim those games can't be use on that platform? He stated the obvious it has no exclusives and you damage controll it by addressing something he didn't imply.

Which is why i told you it does make it redundant.

#27 Posted by lundy86_4 (53799 posts) -

Haha, yeah, that shit was a disaster. Almost as bad as the Star Wars Kinect acting on stage.

#28 Posted by sealionact (4152 posts) -

@tormentos: Nope, it's still going over your head. Read again.