F-Zero or Diddy Kong Racing? Which IP you prefer to see it return?

• 53 results
Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) 1 month, 2 days ago

Poll: F-Zero or Diddy Kong Racing? Which IP you prefer to see it return? (56 votes)

F-Zero 59%
Diddy Kong Racing 25%
Both 16%

Hello there Nintendo fans in System Wars board!

These 2 Nintendo racing IP appears that they went hiatus for over a decade.

• F-Zero
    • First release: F-Zero (SNES) (November 21st 1990)
    • Last release: F-Zero Climax (GBA) (October 21st 2004)
  • Diddy Kong Racing
    • First release: Diddy Kong Racing (N64) (November 21st 1997)
    • Last release: Diddy Kong Racing DS (February 5th 2007)

We got 1 more month till E3 2019, so which IP you prefer to see Nintendo to bring it back first?

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (27895 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing for me. I never really cared all that much for F-Zero. I don’t think those kind of futuristic racing games are really my thing as I also never cared for Wipeout either.

#3 Posted by Litchie (23864 posts) -

F-Zero, duh.

#4 Posted by Dark_sageX (3408 posts) -

Well obviously both, but if I had to choose between the two I would say F-Zero, because I don't see a need for diddy kong racing since we already have party racing games to replace it, Mario Kart, Sonic Transformed and soon Crash Bandicoot. But so far there is no futuristic racing game ever since F-Zero GX besides Wipeout (but WIpeout is no where near as good...)

#5 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@Litchie: I always want F-Zero franchise to be back in the near future.

I had fun memories playing F-Zero GX on GCN in one of my friends house over 10 years ago.

#6 Posted by Litchie (23864 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Yeah, GX is one of my favourite games ever. Can't believe Nintendo's lack of interest for the series.

#7 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@Dark_sageX said:

Well obviously both, but if I had to choose between the two I would say F-Zero, because I don't see a need for diddy kong racing since we already have party racing games to replace it, Mario Kart, Sonic Transformed and soon Crash Bandicoot. But so far there is no futuristic racing game ever since F-Zero GX besides Wipeout (but WIpeout is no where near as good...)

I personally prefer F-Zero over Wipeout because:

1. It's more to do with pure racing rather than combat racing.
  2. Higher speed.
  3. Faster soundtrack.
  4. F-Zero's vehicles's handling feels more like a car while Wipeout's vehicles's handling feels like speed boat IMO.
#8 Edited by adsparky (1376 posts) -

F-Zero, but just because I really really love their soundtracks.

#9 Posted by Jag85 (13480 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing would be pointless when Mario Kart already exists.

So F-Zero by default. Although I've always preferred Wipeout.

#10 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

You prefer Wipeout over F-Zero because you prefer combat racing?

#11 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@adsparky said:

F-Zero, but just because I really really love their soundtracks.

Yep, F-Zero GX soundtracks are awesome!

#12 Edited by SecretPolice (35246 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing has always been far and away the best Kart Racing game, certainly worlds better than that boring same old, same old, Mario Kart so, DKR2 FTW. :P

#13 Posted by DaVillain- (36456 posts) -

Diddy Kong Racing offer lots of content over F-Zero in my opinion and I put lots of hours into Diddy Kong Racing then Mario Kart 64.

Voted: Diddy Kong Racing.

@Jag85 said:

To be fair, Diddy Kong Racing had a single player story to say the least and it offer more content wise in my opinion over Mario Kart 64. Not saying Mario Kart isn't bad, but I like to see Diddy Kong Racing return but sadly, the old team Rare is long gone.

#14 Posted by ellos (2023 posts) -

Its time for F-Zero f*** off with Kart racers and mario mario like shit everywhere Nintendo.

#15 Posted by xantufrog (11339 posts) -

I've never played Diddy Kong, so F-zero. But really, with option for both why not both?

#16 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

I loved DDR but if I had to choose it would be F-Zero, I prefer the fast paced action there.

#17 Edited by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -

Having Redout already, I would say DK Racing.

DK had more depth than a regular racing game anyway, and Redout is a fantastic zero-G racer.

#18 Edited by Litchie (23864 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

Having Redout already, I would say DK Racing.

DK had more depth than a regular racing game anyway, and Redout is a fantastic zero-G racer.

Looks more like Wipeout than F-Zero. Bleh.

There's a gazillion games already that are copies of Wipeout (quite sluggish/floaty/slippery future racers), but F-Zero is one of a kind with being really fast, fluid, having really tight controls and handling. Track design also looks laughable in Redout compared to F-Zero GX. Also, compared to FAST RMX (a launch title future racer for Switch), why is the graphics in Redout way worse?

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -

@Litchie: Have you played Redout?

#20 Edited by Litchie (23864 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

I've watched several videos of it. Looks like F-Zero GX on soap. Just like Wipeout.

#21 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -
@Litchie said:
@pyro1245 said:

I've watched several videos of it. Looks like F-Zero GX on soap. Just like Wipeout.

Gotcha.....

#22 Posted by Litchie (23864 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:
@Litchie said:
@pyro1245 said:

Gotcha.....

So what are you saying? Is Redout more like F-Zero than Wipeout to you?

#23 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -
@Litchie said:
@pyro1245 said:
@Litchie said:
@pyro1245 said:

Gotcha.....

I said it's a fun game (having, you know, played it). You disagree. It's all good.

#24 Edited by Litchie (23864 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:
@Litchie said:
@pyro1245 said:
@Litchie said:

Gotcha.....

I said it's a fun game (having, you know, played it). You disagree. It's all good.

I just said what I think it looks like. Was hoping you'd prove me wrong or something. I'm really spoiled by F-Zero, and I dislike Wipeout (something I have played), and all similar games that seem to follow Wipeout instead of F-Zero is dissapointing for me. All I want is another F-Zero game, and I can't ever seem to get anything that's similar to it. All these other futuristic racers end up feeling like a poor man's F-Zero.

#25 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -

@Litchie: The last F-Zero game I played was on the N64. I never played much Wipeout, so you probably know better what the differences are.

To me, Redout scratches the super-fast crazy track design itch. I guess I'd have to revisit F-Zero X to compare. Redout also adds the ability to pitch the nose of your car up/down/left/right, so you end up using both sticks to control. I think it works well and elevates the skill ceiling of the game.

#26 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@pyro1245: Also have you tried Fast RMX for Switch? I'm thinking to buy this from Nintendo eShop for my Switch.

#27 Posted by Mandzilla (4084 posts) -

I voted for both, though I guess I'd be more leaning towards F-Zero. What I'd really like to see though is a new Outrun game from Sega.

#28 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

F zero.

DKR is trash since MK8 exists.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#29 Edited by storm_of_swords (2797 posts) -

Honestly, neither of those.

Futuristic racing games like F-Zero don't appeal to me.

And I think Diddy Kong Racing is incredibly overrated by some people. People that hold Diddy Kong Racing in such high regard always talk about it's single player story mode, but I don't care about that in a kart racer. The thing that I care about in a kart racer is how much fun it is to play with friends and my friends and I had far more fun playing Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing. We got bored of Diddy Kong Racing real quick. It's tracks and weapons were just not that great and it's battle mode was a joke compared to Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing.

As far as Nintendo IPs that have been on hiatus for a decade that I would like to see return, Punch-Out is at the top of that list for me.

#30 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

I voted for both, though I guess I'd be more leaning towards F-Zero. What I'd really like to see though is a new Outrun game from Sega.

Yeah I used to like Sega until they killed off Sega Rally franchise.

#31 Posted by jcrame10 (5061 posts) -

Why not both?

#32 Posted by Mandzilla (4084 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Ah yeah, Sega Rally was really good also.

#33 Edited by Jag85 (13480 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Yup. Combat racing is more fun. Wipeout is more like Mario Kart in that regard.

#34 Posted by Jag85 (13480 posts) -

@davillain-: Considering how the DK characters are in Mario Kart, DKR seems a bit redundant to me. And later MK games have a lot more content than MK64 did.

#35 Posted by Fuhrer_D (864 posts) -

F-Zero.

Honorable mention, Extreme G. I could do for a remake or all new version of that game.

#36 Edited by AJStyles (816 posts) -

I don’t want either to come back. F-Zero has always been a trash series and the sales reflect that. No one likes those overly hard niche games with broken gameplay. They suffer from poor design and gameplay.

Diddy Kong Racing was awesome, but it’s been 20 years. Just let the series die. I don’t want to play dumb kart racers anymore unless they price them for $5 but that will never happen.

My iPhone gives me plenty of racing games for free. It’s good enough compared to kart racers.

#37 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:

@pyro1245: Also have you tried Fast RMX for Switch? I'm thinking to buy this from Nintendo eShop for my Switch.

No I haven't. Looks cool though. Thanks!

#38 Posted by jeezers (2821 posts) -

both

#39 Posted by Dark_sageX (3408 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@Dark_sageX said:

I personally prefer F-Zero over Wipeout because:

1. It's more to do with pure racing rather than combat racing.
  2. Higher speed.
  3. Faster soundtrack.
  4. F-Zero's vehicles's handling feels more like a car while Wipeout's vehicles's handling feels like speed boat IMO.

I have driven many cars my friend and F-Zero feels nothing like them! XD

But yeah WIpeout was just slow in comparison and lacked a good blood pumping soundtrack like F-Zero did, it made me get bored of it very easily, thats why I'm so glad I have a PC, I can play F-Zero GX in amazing looking 4k, it just shows that Nintendo's craftsmanship is unmatched, they have a bunch of old games that just age wonderfully and F-Zero GX is one of them!

#40 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79311 posts) -

Because you gave me the option.

#41 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@ajstyles said:

I don’t want either to come back. F-Zero has always been a trash series and the sales reflect that. No one likes those overly hard niche games with broken gameplay. They suffer from poor design and gameplay.

Diddy Kong Racing was awesome, but it’s been 20 years. Just let the series die. I don’t want to play dumb kart racers anymore unless they price them for $5 but that will never happen.

My iPhone gives me plenty of racing games for free. It’s good enough compared to kart racers.

Not you again AJ, you're just a Sony fanboy who comes and troll Nintendo all the time.

You're claiming F-Zero having broken gameplay, because you're a terrible driver who loves to crash into walls lolz.

#42 Posted by Speeny (1624 posts) -

F-Zero as that's the only one I've played.

#43 Posted by WhatAFailure (368 posts) -

If we could have both, then why not. But one thing about F-Zero -- as much fun as I had with it, I don't think it would sell well as a full $60 game. I feel like it would be a great $40 package, but not enough to justify full price. I'm sure others will disagree.

I also had a ton of replay value with Diddy Kong Racing trying to unlock everything and trying out all the racers.

#44 Posted by outworld222 (2995 posts) -

From my very faint memories of F-Zero, it was a really great game. So F-Zero for nostalgia alone.

#45 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:

Honestly, neither of those.

Futuristic racing games like F-Zero don't appeal to me.

And I think Diddy Kong Racing is incredibly overrated by some people. People that hold Diddy Kong Racing in such high regard always talk about it's single player story mode, but I don't care about that in a kart racer. The thing that I care about in a kart racer is how much fun it is to play with friends and my friends and I had far more fun playing Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing. We got bored of Diddy Kong Racing real quick. It's tracks and weapons were just not that great and it's battle mode was a joke compared to Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing.

As far as Nintendo IPs that have been on hiatus for a decade that I would like to see return, Punch-Out is at the top of that list for me.

Wait I thought you would like F-Zero since you love Mario Kart.

My other question: Have you even driven Blue Falcon in Mario Kart 8?

#46 Posted by l34052 (3902 posts) -

I'd buy a switch just to play a new F Zero. Back in the day me and my friends would all get really stoned then have 4 player battles on the N64, it was fantastic and to this day they're still some of my greatest gaming memories.

MK64 was another great game, well, apart from the dam lightning bolt that would shrink you always at the worst moment lol.

I never cared for DKR.

#47 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1442 posts) -

@l34052 said:

I'd buy a switch just to play a new F Zero. Back in the day me and my friends would all get really stoned then have 4 player battles on the N64, it was fantastic and to this day they're still some of my greatest gaming memories.

MK64 was another great game, well, apart from the dam lightning bolt that would shrink you always at the worst moment lol.

I never cared for DKR.

And how about the blue spiny shell lol?

#48 Posted by Worlds_Apart (165 posts) -

I loved F-Zero on the snes. Everything about that game was classic. Sadly the one on the N64 didn't really impress me. I voted F-Zero as I've never played Diddy Kong Racing.

#49 Posted by DocSanchez (5267 posts) -

F zero 100%. Nintendo needs variety, it already has a major kart racing game. And F Zero is my favourite example of the futuristic racer especially GX.

#50 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (8374 posts) -

F-Zero GX is still good, Nintendo probably feel there isn't a whole lot further to go outside of a graphics upgrade.

Diddy Kong Racing though was an outstanding single player version of Mario Kart. DKR wasn't as good at multiplayer and I find Mario Kart gets boring in single player kind of quickly.

DKR should get an update, or Nintendo should actually put some effort into the single player part of Mario Kart and the ai.