Ex-Bayonetta Hellena Taylor turned down 15k to reprise her role, then turned down a 4k cameo offer

• 179 results
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#101 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I didn't know only two people were interested in the game on the forum.🤔

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#102 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

@jaydan:

You still made a terrible point regardless of blaming feminism as a whole or "feminist crowds" or whatever. Amber Heard is still a dumb **** example.

If anything you might have a point discussing the anti-work crowd and their stance on things considering Taylor specifically mentions wanting a living wage and so forth while at no time making it about the fact that she's a woman, a man is taking advantage of her, or anything like that.

Nintendo is literally catching shit for casting Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario. People are looking for anything to rail against Nintendo over and this was yet another one of those things.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#103 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@jaydan said:

@nintendoboy16: Anyways, my final post in this thread, is a clip.

Loading Video...

TIL about Black Dynamite... How have I never heard of this movie until now?!

I thought that was a legit '70s blaxploitation movie for a moment... until I realized that's Michael Jai White, who would've been a little boy back in the '70s.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#104 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

@Jag85: Its an awesome movie.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Jag85

@mesome713: Just watched the trailer a while ago. He seems to channeling a bit of Jim Kelly, who was known for blaxploitation and kung-fu movies (most famously Enter the Dragon) back in the '70s.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Jag85
@nintendoboy16 said:
@Chutebox said:

Now Nintendodude doesn't need to worry about boycotting it 🤭

If you saw my argument with that one guy, it wasn't gonna be for this game. Platinum after that though. I'm staying my ground. Not even Nintendo published Astral Copaganda 2 will convince me after this.

Besides, all my boycott energy (on a personal level at least) is on Hogwarts Legacy. Because the creator of THAT franchise is an even worse scumbag. Even buying that used is dangerous at this rate.

I have bad news for you...

...This whole time, you've been supporting a poundland JK Rowling! 😂

Not that I care either way... But it clearly matters to you. If you want to stand by your principles, then you'll have to do a total 180 on your previous stance.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#107  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Guess she got greedy thinking "I am Bayonetta, I should be able to crave more moneyz" and when Platinum didn't agree, she became severely salty.

@Pedro said:

I didn't know only two people were interested in the game on the forum.🤔

Well, he's said it two times now, so it must be true. He and the other guy are also the only two good people on the forum, if you didn't know.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts
@girlusocrazy said:
@blackacezero777 said:

@girlusocrazy: Off-topic: have they talked about a new SSB? For real? I just feel like they need to continue pumping content into Ultimate.

Back onto topic: I think if I remember the lore correctly, the series already dabbles into the Multiverse, so this isn't a surprise. I hate to say it is lazy, I feel that is such a grotesque word for the development that goes into games, but it feels....Like such an easy route because it is so common in entertainment right now.

They didn't, I was joking, but I can't imagine they will never make another one again?

On the subject of Bayonetta I tried understanding the lore but gave up, and I think I'm ok with that. I will still be there for the spectacle of it and it doesn't need to make sense. I only was asking out of curiosity if someone else could explain the difference between Bayonetta as a character and as part of someome else. My best guess is timelines that diverge; In alternate timelines someone else became Bayonetta in the future and then they traveled back to the present in the timeline that we are playing in the game before it diverged?

Literally, I've always said there needs to be an Ultimate+. Pump more content into the games, make all of the previous games modes that can be played, with all of the mechanics involved, and whatever else. There is no need to make another Smash, the game already was peak Smash.

Bayonetta is a series that, while I have played, I find myself not liking and continually finding myself not liking it even more. The main character is unlikable, everything is too cheesy, and I don't think it has the same enjoyability as the DMC games. Heck, I would argue it does everything DMC does, but wrong. I tried to give it a second chance, this time but keeping up with the lore and disliked it further as the lore is basically, "we don't know, but we guess it's that?" It's like it almost tried to invoke what Dark Souls did (I am aware I may be off with this), but did not understand why it was used. For all the buzz surrounding it, I feel like a lot of it fell flat and the sequel was better.

Wait, so if I am understanding right, it is being said that there is Bayonetta as we know and then there is someone else that is suppose to be Bayonetta? Like somehow her soul or essence is in a person and thus it is her? Even with what you said, this is kind of another problem: it nearly does not make sense with its own explanations. I literally have read your explanation multiple times and I am slightly getting it, but the part that is getting me is that someone else became her in the future? Er, what?

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 blackacezero777
@girlusocrazy said:

@blackacezero777: Any help is appreciated so I appreciate the reply, it seemed like a general discussion

Welcome!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#110 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Jag85: Yeah, I saw that. Twitter Gaming Left, which includes Liam Robertson (game journalist, does work for DYKG), still stuck up for her though. And he has no self awareness after he bashed posters for instantly jumping to one side after this info released.

Guy acts all "morality police".

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 blackacezero777

@jaydan: Tis quite alright.

blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 blackacezero777

@Vaasman: I just read through a 500 message board on GameFAQs of two sides (the Talyor defenders and the critical side) talking over this because of the info that was brought to light, and literally they kept mentioning how Bayonetta was not a big series, and it did not matter. My only guess is because Taylor made a mention about how much the franchise has supposedly sold or something and many are clinging onto that.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
Loading Video...

@Jag85:

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Pedro

@Litchie said:

Well, he's said it two times now, so it must be true. He and the other guy are also the only two good people on the forum, if you didn't know.

Damn! I didn't know that one either. At least they are the only two good people on the forum.😅

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#115 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Litchie said:

He and the other guy are also the only two good people on the forum,

0 lies detected

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Pedro

@jg4xchamp said:
@Litchie said:

He and the other guy are also the only two good people on the forum,

0 lies detected

0 facts detected.😎

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 jg4xchamp

Onlyfacts. Exclusively facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Are @Pedros feelings getting hurt by @jg4xchamp again?

It's like a trip down memory lane...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Pedro
@jg4xchamp said:

Onlyfacts. Exclusively facts.

Nah! Just opinions. There is a difference.😊

@goldenelementxl look at you trying.😂

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 jg4xchamp
@Pedro said:

Nah! Just opinions. There is a difference.😊

Damn what you got against Conan?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Pedro

@jg4xchamp said:

Damn what you got against Conan?

Do I have something against him? Not that I know of.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

@Pedro:

Cat's outta the bag. Gold and Conan are one in the same perhaps? lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Pedro

@SecretPolice said:

@Pedro:

Cat's outta the bag. Gold and Conan are one in the same perhaps? lol :P

😮 But no.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Got to love the female "I'm a victim crowd" and it turns out to be fake. You literally spit in the face of actual victims.

You want the big money you got to earn it, you think people like Jennifer, Steve Blum, Nolan North and Tara got to where they are by playing victim? no. A person like Steve Blum has been doing this VA stuff since the 90's

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Jag85
@jaydan said:
Loading Video...

@Jag85:

LOL! Is this on Netflix or some other streaming platform?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Jag85

This controversy reminds me of what Bill Burr said about the woke movement:

Loading Video...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Jag85: You can right now catch Black Dynamite on Vudu, Prime, HBO Max, and Apple TV.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

She insulted Jennifer Hale for taking the offer? I didn’t read that part, what did she say?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#129 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@lavamelon: She said she wished Jennifer Hale all the joy, but she has no right to call herself Bayonetta, or sign merchandise as Bayonetta. Which is more petty than bad, but the problem is twiterlings started harassing Hale for agreeing to take the role at all.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By judaspete

@Ballroompirate: Taylor never really made this out to be a sexism issue though, and a lot of woke folks quickly went after her for political opinions she expressed in the past. I don't spend enough time on Twitter to say how the demographics break down, but this seems more like general social media rage culture than a left/right thing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 jg4xchamp

@judaspete said:

@lavamelon: She said she wished Jennifer Hale all the joy, but she has no right to call herself Bayonetta, or sign merchandise as Bayonetta. Which is more petty than bad, but the problem is twiterlings started harassing Hale for agreeing to take the role at all.

Its pretty bad lol. She doesn't own the character, it's not her creation, she just had the privilege of being the voice. As much as my generation grew up on Kevin Conroy, we'd look at Conroy with a sideye if he tried to act like no one else had any claim to Batman.

Petty isn't exactly a virtue.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

What happened to the boycott that Hellena Taylor advocated? Did it ever materialized or what she advocated for backfired on her face?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By judaspete

@onesiphorus: Definitely backfired, but I don't think it would have ammounted to much even if everything she said had been true. Bayonetta 3 pre-orders shot up the days after she called for a boycott.

Ironically, she did a better job promoting the game than Nintendo.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#134 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@jaydan said:

It's always fascinating to watch these outspoken feminist crowds so quick to take a woman's side just for being a woman without even taking the chance to understand the full story when shit like this comes out. It happened with Amber Heard and it's happened with Hellena Taylor.

People who "boycotted" this game likely weren't planning to buy it in the first place. Just a bunch of keyboard warriors on Twitter always looking for something to be outraged over.

People react based on what they know (or what they think they know) at the time. At the time of this debacle, all we knew about was the initial 4k offer.

Some people prefer to err on the side of support, others on the side of doubt.

It's not really anything to get pissy about lol, it's not a competition. So your faith/skepticism was proven well-placed/misplaced...ok, moving on.

@randy_lahey said:

15k? Is this seriously what voice actors make in this industry? That’s beyond pathetic.

It's especially pathetic given how much revenue these games generate, and how important a good voice actor is. Or, more importantly, how terrible a bad voice actor is. I've played story-heavy games and couldn't finish them because the voice actor was terrible, just kills the immersion.

Then again, how many hours of dialogue are we talking about here? How many actual work-days do they put in? If you have 20 hours of spoken dialogue (I feel like that is a lot, considering most animated shows don't even go for 20 hours) you can get that done in a week.

I don't know, seems like there are good arguments for both. It's probably why you hear the same voice actors in so many different games and anime.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

Hellena admitted that she was offered $15,000, confirming that she was lying by omission. While it is certainly important to raise the issue of compensation for voice actors, this way of misrepresenting reality will not help to convince the gaming industry or gamers.

It is also very unfortunate that she not only lied, but further called for a boycott of the game. The large number of workers involved in its production includes people with families and raising children, and it is quite unethical to act in a way that threatens their jobs.

In any case, this issue seems to be settled for now, and I will enjoy Bayo 3 this weekend without any qualms.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Mesome713

@st_monica: Amen, plus she insulted the voice actor who took the job. She is a 🤡

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

I dunno what's worse. Those who do it our those who so easily fall for the marx BS. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

She started this shit on social media. Lied. Got caught. Then admitted to her lies, but proceeds to play the victim…

I’m no Schreier fan, but he should take legal action. So should Nintendo/Platinum. This shit needs to stop, and with the amount of yapping Hellena did, she is the perfect person to make an example of

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 nintendoboy16

@goldenelementxl said:

She started this shit on social media. Lied. Got caught. Then admitted to her lies, but proceeds to play the victim…

I’m no Schreier fan, but he should take legal action. So should Nintendo/Platinum. This shit needs to stop, and with the amount of yapping Hellena did, she is the perfect person to make an example of

And her recent statement makes me feel all the more stupid that I ever defended her. I hate Schreier for his "morality police" attitude (like Liam Robertson), but he won this one.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

15 grand is still kinda low for a full game for a main protagonist.

In the US, 15k are peanuts. My rent alone is 2800.

It's pretty good pay for what amounts to about 2 full work days.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Where is she getting the 450 million dollar franchise ? Bayonetta is pretty niche. I'm not saying it doesn't have any value ... but 450 million seems a ton more for 2 games with barely a couple of millions in sales.

@st_monica said:

Hellena admitted that she was offered $15,000, confirming that she was lying by omission. While it is certainly important to raise the issue of compensation for voice actors, this way of misrepresenting reality will not help to convince the gaming industry or gamers.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Mesome713

@madsnakehhh: I think she is trying to add the first one from pS and Xbox, then first two on Wii U, then the two on Switch all together.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Sad turn of events here. Hellena Taylor definitely misrepresented her case and certainly shouldn’t have thrown Jennifer Hale under the bus like that. Still though the root of the problem remains which is that these voice actors aren’t properly rewarded for whenever a game that they are in becomes successful.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 madsnakehhh

@mesome713: She is delusional. I'm glad the whole thing exploded right in her face ... i don't believe in Karma, but she had it coming.

@Archangel3371 People keeps bringing this out. Honestly, i don't think they have a case here. Sure, VA in a game is important, but they are hardly the definitive feature of a game. Bayonetta became a cult classic, but are we really going to say that it was because of her voice work instead of the gameplay, level design and action sequences ? That sounds to me a lot more disrespectful for the developers than the voice actors who were rightfully payed for their work.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 nintendoboy16

@madsnakehhh: I wonder if she inflated it because of Smash maybe?

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Six figures seems pretty outrageous in this situation. However, she clearly should have been offered more money.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#147 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

Don't know what's the going rate for voice actors in USA, but 15K for maybe 2-3 days of work max of voicing a character seems like a good deal for most people. Fifteen grand just doens't lay around for most.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Wow, she's a total piece of shit, huh? I'm glad she's out of the IP. In fact, I wish all of her previous work could be re-recorded and erased, and she'd be erased from the series completely. Holy shit, what a child. A transphobic, cop-loving child at that.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By madsnakehhh
@nod_calypse said:

Six figures seems pretty outrageous in this situation. However, she clearly should have been offered more money.

No. She shouldn't. She got an offer way higher the avarege rate which according to most voice actors, is only offered to celebrities and top names in the VA infustry (and she isn't neither). Even when she declined, they still offered a cameo rol which again, was above the average rate for a gig. She got greedy and she lost, period.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 madsnakehhh
@nintendoboy16 said:

@madsnakehhh: I wonder if she inflated it because of Smash maybe?

Apparently, some people took a VGChartz chart and multiplied every Bayonetta release by $60 (even redundant numbers) and they got something around that ... which implies that she didn't even made a proper research, she only took incredibly dubious information and took it for a reliable source.